Sony HT-CT550W?? - Page 16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #451 of 556 Old 05-11-2012, 08:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just bought the Sony CT550w and connected my PS3 to it. When I'm playing regular DVDs through my PS3 the picture looks terrible. When I play Blu-ray or HD video files , the picture looks like how a blu-ray should look.

I previously had a receiver and switched to the CT550W to save space. Did the receiver do some up-converting on the DVDs because they never looked this bad.

Other than the above, I love it, my sofa facing the TV is about 6 feet back and is in the "sweet spot" where it really sounds like the audio is all around you.

NHT Absolute Zero Bookshelf

NHT Absolute Center Speaker

Sony STR-DN1040 Reciever

Panasonic TC-L50ET60 50-Inch LED Tv

Apple TV 3rd Gen

Xbox 360 Slim

Samsung BD-F5100 Blu-Ray Player

Polk Audio PSW505 12" Subwoofer

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #452 of 556 Old 05-13-2012, 10:53 AM

Liked: 11
Allow me to preface myself by saying that I am not an audiophile by any stretch of the imagination. I'm simply an average guy who likes tech stuff including decent audio to compliment my 55" LG 3D TV.

Prior to entering into the sound bar fray, I owned a Bose Acoustimass 5:1 system mated with a Yamaha receiver and loved it. However, I recently moved from an 1800 SF house in the burbs to a 750 SF condo at the beach with a neighbor below me and another beside me. The Bose Acoustimas system was simply a bit too much for my high density neighborhood. That and the fact that I wanted a cleaner, simpler system to compliment my smaller home.

So, since I was happy with my Acoustimass system I picked up a Bose CineMate Series 2. In a nutshell I was completely underwhelmed with the CineMate system. I really *wanted* to like it but IMO it sounded really boxy and the surround sound effect I heard in the store simply wasn't there. Blu Ray stuff sounded "OK" but non-5:1 stuff (Fox News, Anthony Boudain No Reservations etc.) stuff sounded pretty bad. Furthermore, I was surprised to find that the only adjustments this system provides for are volume up/down and a manual SW volume knob. That's it?? Aside from increasing the volume and SW output there is absolutely no way to tweak this system and IMO this is unforgivable.

So, I did some research and decided to pick up the Sony 550W. When I first hooked up the Sony system I was surprised at how much better it sounded than the Bose - and this was out-of-the-box! The bass sounded a *little* weak but the midrange and treble IMO were much more crisp and natural. The next day I decided to tweak the settings and things got even better. I will admit that I am a bit of a treble whore so I cranked the treble up to +5. IMO this made dialog much more crisp and discernable. Afterwards, I cranked the bass up to + 5 and was amazed at the difference. Bass was no longer weak. As a matter of fact, I had to turn the bass down to +3 so my neighbors wouldn't get pissed off. I also noticed that the Sony system did indeed produce a surround sound effect; moreso than I expected. This was obviously most notable when playing a Blu Ray disc. FYI: when playing Blu Ray I have the receiver set on Movie mode and the Auto Vol is enabled. I don't know why but when I enabled Auto Vol the surround sound effect was much more brilliant than when it was not enabled.

For me, the Sony system won this competition hands down and IMO the fact that the 550W's allow for tweaking and the Bose provide for absolutely no tweaking makes this one a no-brainer.

Needless to say, I reboxed the Bose, returned them and pocketed the roughly $200 difference between the systems.

Hope my two cents are helpful. Your mileage, of course, may vary...
bmwpc likes this.
post #453 of 556 Old 05-18-2012, 05:08 AM

I started noticing that the receiver is producing a low humming sound due to the fan. I hear it only at night when the volume is really low but the fan is still loud enough to be quite an annoyance.
I've read that some people are having issues with a high pitch sound coming from the fan but mine is only audible when on very low volume.
So what I'm asking is, is the fan supposed to be audible in the first place?
post #454 of 556 Old 05-19-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by mcruzr View Post

I started noticing that the receiver is producing a low humming sound due to the fan. I hear it only at night when the volume is really low but the fan is still loud enough to be quite an annoyance.
I've read that some people are having issues with a high pitch sound coming from the fan but mine is only audible when on very low volume.
So what I'm asking is, is the fan supposed to be audible in the first place?

Something may be wrong/defective. I never knew there was a fan until I heard some on this forum complain about a loud fan noise. I don't hear any fan noise at all on my unit.

LB
post #455 of 556 Old 05-19-2012, 08:22 PM

This is my first post here. Am hoping for a suggestion to help with a frustrating problem. I have the CT550W and have been very happy with it. I just read the posts with LBJ2's config suggestions and am looking forward to trying them out.

My problem is that I just bout a hearing loop system for my TV room. A hearing loop is a simple wire that goes around the perimeter of the room to let hearing aid users pick up the signal through the inductive telecoils in their hearing aids. The loop system is a Univox DLS-50 (www dot amazon.com/Univox-DLS-50-Amplified-Loop-System/dp/B004GUOE2U). My problem is that the CT550 has no audio output aside from the proprietary speaker connectors that connect the soundbar. The wire that comes with the DLS-50 has 2 RCA ends meant for audio out source and connect to the DLS unit with a 3.5mm plug

This is frustrating because while I can connect the DLS to the FIOS DVR output or to the Bravia HX759 output this is unsatisfactory since I can only capture output from one source or the other that way. (BTW, my system has FIOS DVR and XBox 360 connected to the CT550 via HDMI and the Ethernet-connected HX750 to the CT550 via ARC HDMI.)

Any suggestions? I was hoping I could splice into the CT550 speaker wires going to the sound bar to create a splitter. However, I would need to have signal going to the sound bar and the hearing loop at the same time. I'm in over my head here though but dimly think there could be problems with line levels, impedance, etc etc. if those thing were not a problem, could the CT550 amp power both the speakers and the DLS-50 at the same time???

John
post #456 of 556 Old 05-20-2012, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Something may be wrong/defective. I never knew there was a fan until I heard some on this forum complain about a loud fan noise. I don't hear any fan noise at all on my unit.

I really hope it isn't defective because this thing was shipped from BC to Ontario. Right now it's hooked up to my ex720 and the volume is synced up so whatever volume is on the receiver, it's doubled for the tv (eg. 12 on the receiver and 24 on the tv).
So at night when I put it really low, maybe 12 on the tv (6 in the receiver), I can hear a low pitched hum coming out of the receiver. I'm sure this thing doesn't get overheated too often so that is why I was surprised that there was a fan in the first place. Other than that, this system is perfect.
post #457 of 556 Old 05-24-2012, 10:13 AM

Recently bought a used CT550W setup off eBay, no remote included I've ordered a remote and am waiting for it but in the meantime is there a way to get in to setup manually? Here's my setup and observations:

Mediagate MG250HD HDMI 1.4 --> 3 way autosensing HDMI switch--> CT550W (BD/DVD)
DVD player HDMI --> 3 way autosensing HDMI switch --> CT550W (BD/DVD)
REVUE HDMI -> CT550W (SAT/CATV)
Cable Box HDMI --> REVUE
CT550W HDMI -->TV
REVUE OPT --> CT550W SAT/CATV OPT
Cable Box OPT --> CT550W TV OPT

Remote = Harmony 880

Listening to music I have no issues and it sounds great. However while watching movies or CATV or anything on the REVUE the display says SAT/CATV LPCM. I have set the REVUE to output Dolby Digital and the Cable box outputs DD as well. The CT550W shuts itself down randomly. A quick unplug and replug and it fires back up. If it shutsdown again (within 10 minutes) I have to wait atleast 2 hours before it works again. I think I need to adjust the audio input on the CT550W to OPT. All my HDMI cables are high speed cables and the SPDIF/OPT cables are new as well. Thoughts please?
Sorry for the lengthy post...
Thanks,
Mike
post #458 of 556 Old 05-24-2012, 11:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
I don't know if your connections are causing the shutdown issue or not, but they seem more complex than need be. Why are you using optical at all? Cable box>HDMI>Revue>HDMI>CT550W>HDMI>TV. That should be all you need there.

Are you using the autosensing switch so you don't have to manually change inputs?
post #459 of 556 Old 05-24-2012, 02:05 PM

I'm using the switch so that I can share one HDMI port on the CT550W with DVD player and the Mediagate.
post #460 of 556 Old 05-24-2012, 03:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by madmike269 View Post

I'm using the switch so that I can share one HDMI port on the CT550W with DVD player and the Mediagate.

I was just curious since the CT550 has 3 HDMI inputs and you only listed 3 things connected to it.
post #461 of 556 Old 05-24-2012, 07:23 PM

I was leaving a HDMI port open for PC connection but am reconsidering that. I've changed nothing in my setup and it is running fine today. I'm going to remove the OPT cables tomorrow and remove the switch as well and see how it runs over the weekend.

Anyone know how to get into the setup menu without a remote? My Harmony 880 will get in the menu but wont allow me to change anything.

post #462 of 556 Old 05-26-2012, 02:29 PM

Would the following work?

I have a SAMSUNG ES6500 - 3 HDMI inputs: HDMI1-DVI, HDMI2-ARC, HDMI3

Using high speed HDMI w/ Ethernet cables:

1. PS3 to HDMI1 on the 550.
2. Future 3D Bluray player to HDMI2 on the 550
3. HD DirecTV(cable) recevier to HDMI3 on the 550.

4. 550 HDMI Out(ARC) to my TV's HDMI2 ARC.

If I connect my PC to my TV's HDMI3 input, I should get audio through the sound bar right? I apologize for my lack of knowledge, new to this home theater stuff. Appreciate all comments and suggestions
post #463 of 556 Old 06-07-2012, 04:21 AM

I have a question with the 550, does anyone know if there is a internal fan? I hear a fan noise and the fan you can see on the rear panel is not turning. Very strange.

John
post #464 of 556 Old 06-09-2012, 06:46 AM

I just setup this soundbar last night and have some questions. I hope you guys can help!

1. Currently, I have an HDMI (Mediabridge) high speed cable going from the Sony CT550 receiver ARC TV OUT to my Samsung ES6500's ARC HDMI IN. I've noticed that turning off the TV brings the soundbar to standby however, turning the TV back on does not turn on the soundbar. Is there something I should be setting so that the receiver detects that the TV is on? Anynet+ takes about 2-3 seconds to detect the external speaker and properly switches to it. Turning anynet off and without a digital out cable leaves me with no audio output. I am not sure how user LBJ2 has his system connected.

2. I have a Directv standard receiver. I was hoping to connect this to the 550 receiver box via composite cables seeing that there was and Audio In and a Video In. After playing with it some, I think the Coax/Video In port is just for a digital coaxial cable (I'm a newb =P).
Does this mean for older equipment: (PS2, dvd players, etc) I would have to connect to the TV?
post #465 of 556 Old 06-22-2012, 06:07 AM

How do you guys use this system at night without waking up others? I used to have a headphone jack on my Denon AVR, now with this, I am forced to almost not hear the audio at all in order to not disturb the newborn and tired wife. Is there a way to get an audio out for this thing?

FW: 2007
post #466 of 556 Old 07-08-2012, 10:00 PM

I've had my Sound bar for about a month now and I am quite pleased with it. However I've noticed some thing when listening to music, haven't noticed this when watching movies or television. When I'm playing something the volume will be nice and loud but after a while you can hear a noticeable drop in sound. Now I've tried playing things through Hdmi and Line in but its the same. Is there some thing I have to tweak, anyone else noticed this or is this a defective thing?
post #467 of 556 Old 07-10-2012, 05:27 AM

What is everyone's recommendation for a Bluetooth receiver for the 550?

Sent from my SPH-D710 using Tapatalk 2
post #468 of 556 Old 07-10-2012, 05:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice1124 View Post

How do you guys use this system at night without waking up others? I used to have a headphone jack on my Denon AVR, now with this, I am forced to almost not hear the audio at all in order to not disturb the newborn and tired wife. Is there a way to get an audio out for this thing?

I put it on News setting and Night mode. Provides clear dialog and drops the bass and surround.

post #469 of 556 Old 07-10-2012, 05:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi1ll View Post

I just setup this soundbar last night and have some questions. I hope you guys can help!

1. Currently, I have an HDMI (Mediabridge) high speed cable going from the Sony CT550 receiver ARC TV OUT to my Samsung ES6500's ARC HDMI IN. I've noticed that turning off the TV brings the soundbar to standby however, turning the TV back on does not turn on the soundbar. Is there something I should be setting so that the receiver detects that the TV is on? Anynet+ takes about 2-3 seconds to detect the external speaker and properly switches to it. Turning anynet off and without a digital out cable leaves me with no audio output. I am not sure how user LBJ2 has his system connected.

2. I have a Directv standard receiver. I was hoping to connect this to the 550 receiver box via composite cables seeing that there was and Audio In and a Video In. After playing with it some, I think the Coax/Video In port is just for a digital coaxial cable (I'm a newb =P).
Does this mean for older equipment: (PS2, dvd players, etc) I would have to connect to the TV?

Yes, since you have ARC I would suggest connecting directly to your TV and letting the arc pass to your 550 receiver.

post #470 of 556 Old 08-02-2012, 01:01 PM

Hello Everyone,

I’m experiencing an annoying issue with my CT550W.
I have my Comcast DVR hooked up to the SAT/CATV HDMI IN port, my sony BD in the Blu Disk HDMI IN port, My WII connected to the HDMI IN port with a HDMI Upscale adapter. I have my Vizio M470SL connected from the TV HDMI Out port to the HDMI ARC.
All with high end HDMI cables.
Most things respond as expected as when I choose DB/DVD the 550 switches to the Blu Disk player and the display shows DB/DVD the Vizio shows the BD screen and I get sound. Same with the WII when I choose the Game button.

The problem is when switching back to the DVR (SAT/CATV) or when I first turn on the system the 550 displays SAT/CATV and then after ~5 seconds switches to TV. I get the correct picture, but no sound until I push the SAT/CATV button again. This is consistent, It will happen every time. I have TV control set on the Vizio and it switches as expected at first, but for some reason moves from the SAT/CATV setting to TV which nothing is connected. How can I get it to stop this behavior?

Other than this minor annoyance the sound bar sounds great. Music plays clean, and the bass thumps my front room impressively.
post #471 of 556 Old 08-02-2012, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodhalverson View Post

Hello Everyone,
I’m experiencing an annoying issue with my CT550W.
I have my Comcast DVR hooked up to the SAT/CATV HDMI IN port, my sony BD in the Blu Disk HDMI IN port, My WII connected to the HDMI IN port with a HDMI Upscale adapter. I have my Vizio M470SL connected from the TV HDMI Out port to the HDMI ARC.
All with high end HDMI cables.
Most things respond as expected as when I choose DB/DVD the 550 switches to the Blu Disk player and the display shows DB/DVD the Vizio shows the BD screen and I get sound. Same with the WII when I choose the Game button.
The problem is when switching back to the DVR (SAT/CATV) or when I first turn on the system the 550 displays SAT/CATV and then after ~5 seconds switches to TV. I get the correct picture, but no sound until I push the SAT/CATV button again. This is consistent, It will happen every time. I have TV control set on the Vizio and it switches as expected at first, but for some reason moves from the SAT/CATV setting to TV which nothing is connected. How can I get it to stop this behavior?
Other than this minor annoyance the sound bar sounds great. Music plays clean, and the bass thumps my front room impressively.

I had a similar issue when I had the CT550W sound bar. I wanted a sound bar that would turn on and off automatically with my sharp 70-inch TV, which the Sony did. The problem was I had it hooked up via ARC and the default for the unit when turned on & off was unfortunately another input source. I checked with Sony support and they confirmed this was how the Sony works.
post #472 of 556 Old 08-03-2012, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveg. View Post

I had a similar issue when I had the CT550W sound bar. I wanted a sound bar that would turn on and off automatically with my sharp 70-inch TV, which the Sony did. The problem was I had it hooked up via ARC and the default for the unit when turned on & off was unfortunately another input source. I checked with Sony support and they confirmed this was how the Sony works.

I was concerned that would be the case. That’s why I referred to this as an annoying issue and not a bug as it was too consistent to not be by design. I’m guessing that the Vizio is dissimilar enough from the Sony Bravia as to not function as I expected. What has me scratching my head is that I still receive the video when the CT550 displays TV, so part of the signal is getting to the Vizio. I was trying to avoid using any additional cables then just HDMI; however, I’ve connected an optic link from the DVR to the SAT/CATV optical in ports and see if that works long term; so far I get SAT/CATV when switched and it stays put.
Thanks for the input, if things change I will give an update.
rh
post #473 of 556 Old 08-03-2012, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aarrowgant View Post

I put it on News setting and Night mode. Provides clear dialog and drops the bass and surround.

I leave it it movie mode but I almost always have the night mode on.

It doesn't help the fact that I want ot watch a movie at full volume without bothering anyone in the family at night. frown.gif

A simple headphone out jack in the front or back couldn't have hurt too much for Sony.

post #474 of 556 Old 08-17-2012, 07:27 AM

Wondering if anyone has any suggestions on a puzzling issue I'm experiencing since hooking up my CT550W...

I have mine hooked up to a Sony KDL-46HX850 television, Cisco Time Warner digital HD cable box, Sony 3D Blu-ray player, and the latest Apple TV. After tweaking both for a few days, I think I have the sound and picture set just where I want them.

The issue I'm having is that the sound coming from the soundbar becomes overwhelmingly "tinny" on a single channel when watching television - ABC. In other words, when watching NBC, CBS, FoodTV, Smithsonian, etc. the sound is amazing; if we switch to ABC it sounds as though we're listening through a garbage can.

I've worked with the cable company and they cannot find anything wrong inside or outside the house - and the signal is very strong. I've also tried swapping cable boxes with other surround systems in the house and cannot replicate the issue on any of the other setups (one is a true 5.1 system, the other is an older Sony 2.1). The sound when watching a Blu-ray or listening to music on Apple TV is excellent.

I can't speak to whether all of the HDMI cables are high-speed, but do know that the one from the receiver to the televison (ARC) is. Would a standard HDMI cable between the cable box and receiver make a difference? Does anyone know of a setting I might be missing either on either the 550 receiver or the cable box? Anything else I haven't thought of?

Thanks in advance and I appreciate any suggestions/ideas anyone can offer!
post #475 of 556 Old 08-17-2012, 10:56 AM

I assume you have tried playing with the ARC setting?

post #476 of 556 Old 09-06-2012, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just got one last week.
Stylistically, it is the right size and right shape for me, and Amazon offered very competitive pricing.
I was a bit disappointed by the lack of a GUI or room correction features that were offered by products I previously owned. (Yamaha 4000 soundbar and Onkyo HTX-22/22-HD respectively)
The sound quality is a bit off for music. There seems to be some cohesion problem with the subwoofer.
However, for games and movies the performance is pretty good.
post #477 of 556 Old 09-10-2012, 01:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 34
So anyone using and loving this on NONE Sony Products?
post #478 of 556 Old 09-10-2012, 05:53 PM

hey guys! New to this forum and have a quick question. Just picked up the CT-550W today from Amazon but haven't opened it yet, but i just noticed that the new Sony HTC-T260 just came out for $299. Not sure if i should keep this one or return it and get the T260. I like the fact that the CT-550W has the 3 HDMI inputs and the T260, i think only has coaxial, optical and analog inputs meaning all my devices will be hooked up to tv with an optical out to the soundbar? The best thing to do is to try them both but i don't think i have the time or patience for that lol. Any advise or opinion would be appreciated..I have a Sony HX929 and PS3, and comcast cable if it helps..Thanks!
post #479 of 556 Old 09-10-2012, 06:57 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by singjai010 View Post

hey guys! New to this forum and have a quick question. Just picked up the CT-550W today from Amazon but haven't opened it yet, but i just noticed that the new Sony HTC-T260 just came out for $299. Not sure if i should keep this one or return it and get the T260. I like the fact that the CT-550W has the 3 HDMI inputs and the T260, i think only has coaxial, optical and analog inputs meaning all my devices will be hooked up to tv with an optical out to the soundbar? The best thing to do is to try them both but i don't think i have the time or patience for that lol. Any advise or opinion would be appreciated..I have a Sony HX929 and PS3, and comcast cable if it helps..Thanks!

No, optical does not support ARC, so every single device has to have one connection of its own to the soundbar, and by optical/coaxial/analog means you lose support for all HD sound format support so that totally negates the bluray bitstream capability of your PS3.
I think the choice is pretty simple.
post #480 of 556 Old 09-10-2012, 08:31 PM

Thanks for clearing that up for me. Guess I'll just hook up the 550W now and see how it sounds..lol. I just hate to get the older model when the new ones around the corner plus I like the hexagon look.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page