Sony HT-CT550W?? - Page 19 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #541 of 556 Old 11-20-2013, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
They should work. Why are you looking at a soundbar from three years ago? Sony has some new models at a lower cost that certainly are superior soundwise to the 550.
carageuw likes this.

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #542 of 556 Old 11-20-2013, 04:05 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

They should work. Why are you looking at a soundbar from three years ago? Sony has some new models at a lower cost that certainly are superior soundwise to the 550.

Agreed, Yamaha also have some great options now albeit at slightly more expensive prices.
post #543 of 556 Old 11-20-2013, 05:01 PM

So what do you suggest that is cheaper with better sound and the same amount of HDMI connectivity?
post #544 of 556 Old 11-21-2013, 02:23 PM
AVS Special Member

If HDMI connectivity is important, not sure. Most of the newer, reasonably priced soundbars are taking the approach of a single connection for audio from the TV to the soundbar and all components, such as DVD or Blu-Ray, connected to the TV.

Almost all of the recommended soundbars from the major publications have very limited connectivity. Most do now have blue-tooth as an added benefit.

David Freeman
post #545 of 556 Old 11-21-2013, 05:20 PM

But if you rely on the ARC route, then you lose the advantage of Dolby TrueHD/DTS MA, assuming the soundbar and the BDPlayer, console (etc) supports those formats.
post #546 of 556 Old 11-21-2013, 05:28 PM

So would connecting components directly to the TV via HDMI, then using an optical cable to a soundbar from the TV be a better option, and one that would be able to transmit the DTS-MA or TrueHD formats?

post #547 of 556 Old 11-21-2013, 05:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbelok View Post

So would connecting components directly to the TV via HDMI, then using an optical cable to a soundbar from the TV be a better option, and one that would be able to transmit the DTS-MA or TrueHD formats?

HDMI is the only option for lossless audio.
post #548 of 556 Old 11-21-2013, 05:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

But if you rely on the ARC route, then you lose the advantage of Dolby TrueHD/DTS MA, assuming the soundbar and the BDPlayer, console (etc) supports those formats.

So if you connect components to the 550w via HDMI, then connect the 550w to the TV via HDMI ARC, you will lose the TrueHD and DTS MA decoding feature of the 550w?

post #549 of 556 Old 11-21-2013, 07:28 PM

Quote:

So if you connect components to the 550w via HDMI, then connect the 550w to the TV via HDMI ARC, you will lose the TrueHD and DTS MA decoding feature of the 550w?

You lose advanced decoding when you connect the component directly to the TV then connect the TV via HDMI with ARC to the 550W.
post #550 of 556 Old 11-21-2013, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by carageuw View Post

You lose advanced decoding when you connect the component directly to the TV then connect the TV via HDMI with ARC to the 550W.

So if all the components are connected to the Sony 550W does that need to be connected to the ARC HDMI port in the TV for all the decoding to work or can the 550W be connected to any HDMI port in the TV?

post #551 of 556 Old 11-22-2013, 06:39 AM

So Consumer Reports gave this rating to the Sony 550W: "Sound quality: Sony's HT-CT550W had fair overall sound quality. Boomy bass has good impact but lacks definition and upper bass is recessed. Midrange is muffled, soft, echoey, and has a telephone-like quality. Very rolled off treble. Somewhat closed in, lacking airiness and room ambience except in the midrange, and fine detail and texture are missing. The system can provide satisfying volume in a medium-sized room."

Does anybody else share their sentiment or are they just full of it?

post #552 of 556 Old 11-22-2013, 06:52 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
You can read my comments on this sound bar and other sound bars here.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/1498837/soundbar-advice#post_23948166
post #553 of 556 Old 11-29-2013, 06:33 AM

I saw the 660 on sale last night at a Sony Outlet...
I assume that would be the replacement for 550.
post #554 of 556 Old 11-29-2013, 10:21 AM

I've tried them both and my comments are already in the link.
post #555 of 556 Old 11-30-2013, 06:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

So Consumer Reports gave this rating to the Sony 550W: "Sound quality: Sony's HT-CT550W had fair overall sound quality. Boomy bass has good impact but lacks definition and upper bass is recessed. Midrange is muffled, soft, echoey, and has a telephone-like quality. Very rolled off treble. Somewhat closed in, lacking airiness and room ambience except in the midrange, and fine detail and texture are missing. The system can provide satisfying volume in a medium-sized room."

Does anybody else share their sentiment or are they just full of it?

Reviews seem to be all over the place for this particular soundbar and the same goes for the 660, which I got a few days ago. I haven't unboxed it and I'm thinking about holding on to it until the last minute as the CES show will reveal any potential replacements that could be far better spec-wise as Sony seems to bounce up and down with the specs of new products compared to old ones.
post #556 of 556 Old 11-30-2013, 07:08 AM

Reviews are all over the place because reviewers' experiences are all over the place. On a consumer site you will get a lot of positive reviews because they often have very little experience with other gear. If one is comparing this sound bar to their TV speakers they will be happy but if they compare it with other audio gear in a good environment (i.e. not on Best Buys showroom floor) you quickly realize it is at the low end of the audio quality spectrum. Professional reviewers try to be politically correct and tell you all the good points about a product. You often have to read between the lines to get their overall impression especially with sound quality.

The good news is you don't have to be a golden ear audiophile to hear the differences, you just need to be in a half way decent room without a lot of ambient noise. The bad news is there are not a lot of places to demo gear any longer. You often have to buy them and then return the ones you don't like.

I share some of consumer reports opinion and while I have a subscription I don't always agree with them. In fact CR is updating their antiquated procedures on how they measure AV gear and have hired some industry experts to help them with this. I'm not sure if their new knowledge has made it into their reviews yet.

Anyway as far as the 550 is concerned it could not reach 70db from about 11 feet away on my SPL meter in the room I was measuring. So I don't agree that it will fill a medium sized room but I don't know how they measure to make that comment. They had the same comment about the Atlantic Technology bar and that beats the Sony without a sub and totally destroys it with one, although a lot more expensive. I agree with the sound quality remarks of CR for this bar and I won't be politically correct and say this was probably the worst I have heard on anything that I have tested. I really like a lot of Sony products but none of their bars impressed me (I haven't heard their new ST7) and the 550 was the absolute worst. Highly NOT recommended IMHO. No offense to anyone here that likes it.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page