Sony HT-CT550W?? - Page 8 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #211 of 556 Old 11-29-2011, 09:48 AM
Newbie
 
Feisar's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by coolmobileguy View Post

What is the original sound field (default setting) on 550w?

Default sound field for the 550W is Standard. The additional sound fields are Movie, Drama, News, Sports, Gaming, Music and 2CH Stereo.

Hope this helps!
Feisar is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #212 of 556 Old 11-29-2011, 11:41 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley8403 View Post

I'm thinking about picking up one of these bad boys but I have a couple questions. My setup will be slightly complicated, with a PS3, Xbox360, WII (adapter to hdmi), pc, and hd cable box. I was thinking of just putting the 3 game systems into a 3-way hdmi switch, leaving me with the pc and the cable box to fill up the remaining hdmi ports. I read some of the e-manual and saw that you can rename radio stations, but my question is can you rename inputs? Obviously i'd plug my 3 systems into "GAME" which i'm guessing displays as game on the front display of the receiver. I'd like to be able to switch the middle port "bd/dvd" to "PC" is this possible?

Bradley: Here's what I have connected:

Sony 550W connected with a 1.4 HDMI cable via the ARC HDMI port on a Sony TV
Sony Bluray--HDMI to Recevier
PS3--HDMI to Receiver
Logitech Revue --HDMI to Receiver and Optical to Receiver
Wii--Component cables to the TV directly
Mac--HDMI cable directly to the TV
OTA--Cat 5 cable to the TV
No STB ( cable or satellite)

The above enables me to process all audio through the 550W.


I don't think you can change the system inputs on this Receiver ( but a quick call to Sony support should be able to answer that for you)

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #213 of 556 Old 11-29-2011, 11:59 AM
Member
 
Bradley8403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got it, I'll give them a call, and thank you for the insight! I'm a little picky, so I have no problem with the display on the receiver reading "game" if i'm playing one of the three consoles via the hdmi switch into the "game" hdmi port. But I don't want it to read "bd/dvd" when I have a PC plugged into that port. Seems odd they wouldn't allow manual naming of inputs. Especially considering the ability to rename has already been included for radio stations.
Bradley8403 is offline  
post #214 of 556 Old 11-29-2011, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley8403 View Post

Got it, I'll give them a call, and thank you for the insight! I'm a little picky, so I have no problem with the display on the receiver reading "game" if i'm playing one of the three consoles via the hdmi switch into the "game" hdmi port. But I don't want it to read "bd/dvd" when I have a PC plugged into that port. Seems odd they wouldn't allow manual naming of inputs. Especially considering the ability to rename has already been included for radio stations.

YW. Please let me know what you find out from Sony concerning the port renaming--that could get interesting!

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #215 of 556 Old 11-30-2011, 12:03 PM
Member
 
Bradley8403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The verdict is NO, you can not manually name HDMI inputs. Kind of a bummer and I know I was grasping at straws after I read through the entire e-manual but it was worth a shot! Seems like a fairly simple idea to implement, hell they've already done so with radio presets as I previously noted. Head scratcher for sure. So my set up will probably go as such:

Xbox 360, Wii (adapter to hdmi), and PC all --> 1x3 HDMI switch --> "game" hdmi input
PS3 --> "bd/dvd" hdmi input
Motorola DCX3200 --> "sat/catv" hdmi input
HDMI from ARC on the 550w to the ARC hdmi on a 65hx929

The only thing i'm kind of weary of is using the HDMI switch. Is there any reason to expect any sort of signal degradation going from say... xbox360 to the switch, which then sends the signal to the soundbar, which then sends the signal to the tv via arc. Seems like a lot of signal transfer and I'm a little new to the whole home theater arena.
Bradley8403 is offline  
post #216 of 556 Old 11-30-2011, 01:32 PM
Member
 
Tuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bradley8403 View Post

The only thing i'm kind of weary of is using the HDMI switch. Is there any reason to expect any sort of signal degradation going from say... xbox360 to the switch, which then sends the signal to the soundbar, which then sends the signal to the tv via arc. Seems like a lot of signal transfer and I'm a little new to the whole home theater arena.

No, its all sending digital data, you only have to really worry about signal degradation when running cables for very long distances without a repeater or signal booster of some sort when it comes to HDMI.
Tuan is offline  
post #217 of 556 Old 11-30-2011, 01:49 PM
Member
 
Bradley8403's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 24
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
excellent, thanks for the feedback! none of my runs should be any longer than 6 feet, so hopefully it will all work out.
Bradley8403 is offline  
post #218 of 556 Old 11-30-2011, 02:18 PM
Newbie
 
impu1se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello AVS! I'm new...been lurking for a while but I just bought this soundbar and installed it yesterday. LBJ your setup sounds excellent. I'm very impressed with the sound so far. Here is how I have it connected....if you guys have any changes please let me know. Also a few questions along the way...


TV: Sony KDL55NX810 (beast mode)

plugged into soundbar amp are the following:
PS3
Comcast Cable Box
Optical out from Xbox360

then we have:
Amp TV out to ARC input on the TV. (what is special about ARC HDMI?)
xbox 360 component video cables (ugh I know....it's old) to the TV. (any benefit to plugging in component audio cables to tv also?)

does that plug configuration sound right? I barely had a chance to play with it last night but will be tweaking and testing it all tonight.

Questions:
1. my TV has BraviaSync...do I need to turn that on? I can control the sound for the soundbar through the TV but the numbers on the tv are double what the soundbar shows (soundbar = 15 / tv = 30). Is that normal? I guess I'm asking if I have to do anything special with the Bravia TV and Soundbar to make it sound as good as possible...

2. any way to hook up an ipod directly to the soundbar?

3. i know some TV's allow you see the amp on the tv screen but I couldn't get it to come up last night. is my tv capable/how can i do that?

4. I have seen "Audio DRC" mentioned a few times in this thread but I don't know what that means or what it is/how to adjust it.....

I think that's all for now. Thanks!!!!
impu1se is offline  
post #219 of 556 Old 11-30-2011, 02:40 PM
Newbie
 
raphanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Got a CT550 today. For all it does right, have some huge issues with it for now and am deciding whether or not to return it in the next few days. I am terribly dissapointed with the quality of the sound in any sort of surround mode.

Since I live in NYC and space is at a premium, for years I've happily used a CT100. The CT100 was a great product for its price. Dialogue separation was an issue sometimes, as well as action scene volume going WAY over volume for clear dialog. But the CT100 had really great quality sound.

Would've kept it, too, but just got a Sony HX800 and needed to be able to pass thru 3d.

So I get a 550, as it's only about $50 more than the 150. I'm not too concerned about 2.1 / 3.1.

Unfortunately, the 550 has terrific sound in 2.0 channel stereo - but whatever processing goes on to create the virtual surround space is really, really awful. It seems to compress parts of the soundtrack with a strange hollow sound, like its being downsampled. The upshot is there's great clarity and separation between these things - I can hear background / atmos tracks in ways the CT100 never could present. But there's this strange ghostly quality to everything as if it were coming through over a phone. The CT100 sounded much better overall despite the problems with separation.

And yes, I know the settings well (and to correct you LBJ you should not run this in bitstream if you have an older fat PS3 but rather linear PCM) and have played with them endlessly. It definitely has power, and by god it can be loud. The problem is again with the processing occuring to create the virtual surround scape - it's either compressing or downsampling individual tracks. And some other things are strange. The end credits music of Breaking Bad (which changes episode to episode) always distorts.

Integration with the Bravia is great, somewhat except for two details - really frustrating that you can access the devices controls via menu under the apps menu, so I can't change the sound field while watching Netflix, for instance.

Likewise, for whatever weird reason I cannot get the Bravia's Sony remote (which I now have controlling everything, even my Xbox 360) to control the sound field change. So I have to keep the stupid remote around if I want to manually change the sound field and for no other reason (Bravia integrated Netflix comes in at 2.0 and reverts to Movie mode automatically - I have not as yet been able to figure out how to turn off the device automatically switching sound fields when controlled via HDMI and scene selects. I'd prefer for 2.0 sources to play back as 2.0).

I'm giving myself a few days to see if I can live with the strange sound quality. But I have to say I'm a strong contender for returning this. It sounds like the 300 was ideal.

Also, ridiculous that it lost from the 100 the ability to turn the display off alltogether (not just dim it) and a readout showing you what mode it was playing in depending on what source was coming in.

Does anyone know if the 150 have the same sound issues? I'd rather have a full sound with separation issues than a hollow sound with clarity of track separation.
raphanator is offline  
post #220 of 556 Old 11-30-2011, 04:26 PM
Member
 
tlb48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a HP laptop connected to the ht-ct550 (hdmi) and streaming rhapsody to it. Is ther any way for the computer to output bitstreem instead of LCPM ?
tlb48 is offline  
post #221 of 556 Old 11-30-2011, 08:23 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by impu1se View Post

Hello AVS! I'm new...been lurking for a while but I just bought this soundbar and installed it yesterday. LBJ your setup sounds excellent. I'm very impressed with the sound so far. Here is how I have it connected....if you guys have any changes please let me know. Also a few questions along the way...


TV: Sony KDL55NX810 (beast mode)

plugged into soundbar amp are the following:
PS3
Comcast Cable Box
Optical out from Xbox360

then we have:
Amp TV out to ARC input on the TV. (what is special about ARC HDMI?)
xbox 360 component video cables (ugh I know....it's old) to the TV. (any benefit to plugging in component audio cables to tv also?)

does that plug configuration sound right? I barely had a chance to play with it last night but will be tweaking and testing it all tonight.

Questions:
1. my TV has BraviaSync...do I need to turn that on? I can control the sound for the soundbar through the TV but the numbers on the tv are double what the soundbar shows (soundbar = 15 / tv = 30). Is that normal? I guess I'm asking if I have to do anything special with the Bravia TV and Soundbar to make it sound as good as possible...

2. any way to hook up an ipod directly to the soundbar?

3. i know some TV's allow you see the amp on the tv screen but I couldn't get it to come up last night. is my tv capable/how can i do that?

4. I have seen "Audio DRC" mentioned a few times in this thread but I don't know what that means or what it is/how to adjust it.....

I think that's all for now. Thanks!!!!

Glad to hear you are enjoying your new system !

Please see my comments/recommendations to your questions below in blue. Likewise I am sure others in this forum will have some advice too:

"(what is special about ARC HDMI?)"
http://www.hdmi.org/manufacturer/hdmi_1_4/arc.aspx "The Audio Return Channel in HDMI 1.4 enables a TV, via a single HDMI cable, to send audio data “upstream” to an A/V receiver or surround audio controller, increasing user flexibility and eliminating the need for any separate S/PDIF audio connection."

1. my TV has BraviaSync...do I need to turn that on? Yes --this is a nice benefit to sync operations among your Sony equip using highspeed HDMI cables. E.g., Power on/of, audio control position control etc.
I can control the sound for the soundbar through the TV but the numbers on the tv are double what the soundbar shows (soundbar = 15 / tv = 30). Is that normal? Yes ..mine does this too ( see comment on page 24 of the manual, top left of the page)

I guess I'm asking if I have to do anything special with the Bravia TV and Soundbar to make it sound as good as possible...A little more complex but make sure. I always recommend that you set your bluray and/or game systems "audio -out" setting to bitstream (even the PS3 FAT and Slim). What this does is enables the Receiver to process the sound signal ( Dolby Digital/DTS etc.) instead of the player. If you have this set up correctly you will see the actual source audio formats like Dolby Digital or DTS etc displayed on the Receiver's front panel when in operations. If you are not processing bitstream then you will only see LCPM displayed on the 550W Receiver's front panel instead of the actual audio formats. Note: if you choose this method ( to process bitstream you will lose the menu sound effects while scrolling through the menu on the bluray--but you should be rewarded with a better bluray sound track experience)

Also if you don't notice much of a surround sound effect when playing a bluray then try turning off your players "surround sound out" function too. This allows the 550W to process the surround sound effect. Note the 550W sound bar is only capable of "virtual" surround sound so you will not hear the same full surround sound effect as a full 5.1 system.

2. any way to hook up an ipod directly to the soundbar? I use a free app called iMediaShare ( from App Store) to stream over my home network from my iPhone/iPad to the TV. (It's not a very stable app--but it is free).

There are are couple of other things you can buy:
  1. http://www.amazon.com/Sony-Digital-Media-Cradle-TDM-iP50/dp/B001JEOS4U/ref=cm_cr_pr_product_top ( not too sure about this one)
  2. Airport Express $99 http://www.apple.com/airportexpress/...s/airplay.html
  3. Apple TV $99 http://www.apple.com/ipad/features/airplay.html
3. i know some TV's allow you see the amp on the tv screen but I couldn't get it to come up last night. is my tv capable/how can i do that?
This is an application called "Home Theater Control". It's only available on compatible 2011 Sony TVs and is located on the TVs "app menu"


4. I have seen "Audio DRC" mentioned a few times in this thread but I don't know what that means or what it is/how to adjust it.....
The DRC setting enables Dolby Digital sound effects to be heard at a lower volume. see page 37 on the manual "This feature narrows the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital/DTS sound track for enjoying movies at low volume."


Hope some of this helps!

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #222 of 556 Old 11-30-2011, 10:52 PM
Newbie
 
raphanator's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 2
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
LB2 -

Please see my post above, and stop saying this to owners of the PS3 fat... DO NOT put the PS3 in bitstream for HD codecs.

The PS3 fat cannot send HD codecs to the receiver. So a DTS-HD track only such as on the new Harry Potter or Inception will get downconverted to 2.0. Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS are fine, but NOT their uncompressed HD codecs.

The only way to send multichannel audio to a receiver from a PS3 fat (old version) utilizing HD codecs is via Linear PCM. Which is essentially the same data, just not processed by the receiver. Please stop insisting on this it's a well known issue for years. Google PS3 Fat bitstream linear PCM and you'll see.

The PS3 Slim, the hardware revision, DOES handle Bravia Sync and HD digital audio codecs.
raphanator is offline  
post #223 of 556 Old 12-01-2011, 06:30 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by raphanator View Post

LB2 -

Please see my post above, and stop saying this to owners of the PS3 fat... DO NOT put the PS3 in bitstream for HD codecs.

The PS3 fat cannot send HD codecs to the receiver. So a DTS-HD track only such as on the new Harry Potter or Inception will get downconverted to 2.0. Dolby Digital 5.1 and DTS are fine, but NOT their uncompressed HD codecs.

The only way to send multichannel audio to a receiver from a PS3 fat (old version) utilizing HD codecs is via Linear PCM. Which is essentially the same data, just not processed by the receiver. Please stop insisting on this it's a well known issue for years. Google PS3 Fat bitstream linear PCM and you'll see.

The PS3 Slim, the hardware revision, DOES handle Bravia Sync and HD digital audio codecs.

I stand corrected with regards to the PS3 FAT and bitstream vs LPCM. Thanks for directing my attention to this issue with the Ps3 Fat.
Based upon your comment above and further encouraged by engagdet http://hd.engadget.com/2009/04/21/hd...with-your-ps3/

I just tried it out again this morning utilizing the Inception bluray disk and my old PS3 Fat and engadget's instruction above. I clearly hear and see the difference even though the 550W front panel displays DTS it does not display DTS-HD while the PS3 Fat is outputting bitstream--I was also able to confirm this while displaying the audio details during soundtrack playback in both bitstream and LPCM.

To be clear to other members in this forum...all my future recommendations will include an exception for the PS3 FAT recommending to leave that particular system in LPCM not Bitstream.

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #224 of 556 Old 12-01-2011, 08:12 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

I have a HP laptop connected to the ht-ct550 (hdmi) and streaming rhapsody to it. Is ther any way for the computer to output bitstreem instead of LCPM ?

tlb48:
Check out this thread where others are discussing the same topic --be sure to scroll all the way through:
http://hardforum.com/showthread.php?t=1597413

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #225 of 556 Old 12-01-2011, 08:51 AM
Member
 
Tuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

I have a HP laptop connected to the ht-ct550 (hdmi) and streaming rhapsody to it. Is ther any way for the computer to output bitstreem instead of LCPM ?

What model laptop? Rhapsody will most likely always be in PCM because its a stereo source. The only way to get a loss-less bitstream source (Dolby True HD or DTS-HD MA) is to view a source that has that content, ie Blu-ray movie.
Tuan is offline  
post #226 of 556 Old 12-02-2011, 02:54 PM
Newbie
 
impu1se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So what exactly is the benefit of having the cable box plugged directly into the 550w? (this is my current configuration).

Say I wanted to play music through the 550w using an ipod plugged in with the red/white line in cables, and have the TV put out regular old tv sound through the tv speakers....is this possible? I can't figure out how to do it when the cable box is plugged directly into the 550w because when I change the input to "line in" the TV input changes as well.
impu1se is offline  
post #227 of 556 Old 12-02-2011, 03:11 PM
Newbie
 
"Mr. 72"'s Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a very decent 5.1 theater system in my basement where I'll watch "blockbuster" movies. However, I do much of my TV viewing in the upstairs family room--mostly regular TV shows and an occasional movie.

There I have 50" Samsung plasma. I've done a bit of research, and I think I've narrowed it down to a Samsung HW D450and a Sony HT-CT550 (certainly not set in stone though).

I can get either for about the same price, and would like to stay in that $250 (under $300) range.

I'm thinking the Samsung would be a good match, but would choose something else if was a better unit.

I should mention that I only have a U-Verse DVR and Wii connected to the TV.... MIGHT add a DVR.

Any advice?

Thanks!
"Mr. 72" is offline  
post #228 of 556 Old 12-03-2011, 03:58 PM
Member
 
tlb48's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 76
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 10
thank you lbj2 for the link for outputing bitstreem from a laptop but it was too complicated. is there anything straight forward? also does putting the receiver next ta a hdtv cause a problem ? thank you
tlb48 is offline  
post #229 of 556 Old 12-03-2011, 11:49 PM
Member
 
viperx116's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: San Francisco, CA
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm thinking of getting this and I have some questions on the dialogue clarity. Since it's 2.1 people have stated that tweaking the settings made the dialogue pretty clear. Is that in 2.1 mode or in surround sound? Can I tweak it to perform just as well in either setup? I need to keep the volume low as to not disturb neighbors so that's what I care about the most.
viperx116 is offline  
post #230 of 556 Old 12-04-2011, 11:44 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by viperx116 View Post

I'm thinking of getting this and I have some questions on the dialogue clarity. Since it's 2.1 people have stated that tweaking the settings made the dialogue pretty clear. Is that in 2.1 mode or in surround sound? Can I tweak it to perform just as well in either setup? I need to keep the volume low as to not disturb neighbors so that's what I care about the most.

Hello. I don't have any dialogue clarity issues with the 550W 2.1. ( not sure how Sony did this over 3.1)

You can also take advantage of the Audio DRC function on this sound bar ( as with most any of the newer systems today) "This feature narrows the dynamic range of a Dolby Digital/DTS sound track for enjoying movies at low volume."



LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #231 of 556 Old 12-04-2011, 11:46 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tlb48 View Post

thank you lbj2 for the link for outputing bitstreem from a laptop but it was too complicated. is there anything straight forward? also does putting the receiver next ta a hdtv cause a problem ? thank you

Sorry, I wish I had more info for you on bit-streaming from your computer. Since this is really a function of your PC/Laptop, sound card and OS etc. maybe better to contact HP customer support? Also, you should be okay placing your Receiver close the HDTV--I think that's what most people do ( or are you talking about the Sub-woofer?)

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #232 of 556 Old 12-04-2011, 11:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "Mr. 72" View Post

I have a very decent 5.1 theater system in my basement where I'll watch "blockbuster" movies. However, I do much of my TV viewing in the upstairs family room--mostly regular TV shows and an occasional movie.

There I have 50" Samsung plasma. I've done a bit of research, and I think I've narrowed it down to a Samsung HW D450and a Sony HT-CT550 (certainly not set in stone though).

I can get either for about the same price, and would like to stay in that $250 (under $300) range.

I'm thinking the Samsung would be a good match, but would choose something else if was a better unit.

I should mention that I only have a U-Verse DVR and Wii connected to the TV.... MIGHT add a DVR.

Any advice?

Thanks!

From what I have read both systems produce pretty good sound. If you could try both in your home environment and return the one you don't want that would be ideal. However, if both systems seem to be a good match for what you want in a sound bar--I personally might lean toward the brand that matched my TV( even though these systems work with most any TV brand)--sometimes there are functionality/interface advantages to that approach. I know there is with Sony 2011 TVs and the Sony 550W.

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #233 of 556 Old 12-06-2011, 01:01 PM
Member
 
nandopr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello to all!

I am a new owner. I already set my system along with a Sony 55HX929 TV. I did search but could not find a clear answer...here is the question...

When I set my "level" settings I can hear when I do some changes (center level and SW) but when I try to set within the "tone" settings (bass & treble), no matter what setting I select my ears can not tell them apart. It is like nothing matter what setting I select (on the plus or negative settings) the results are the same.

Maybe I got a defective unit? Thank you in advance for your help and Happy Holidays!
nandopr is offline  
post #234 of 556 Old 12-06-2011, 03:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandopr View Post

Hello to all!

I am a new owner. I already set my system along with a Sony 55HX929 TV. I did search but could not find a clear answer...here is the question...

When I set my "level" settings I can hear when I do some changes (center level and SW) but when I try to set within the "tone" settings (bass & treble), no matter what setting I select my ears can not tell them apart. It is like nothing matter what setting I select (on the plus or negative settings) the results are the same.

Maybe I got a defective unit? Thank you in advance for your help and Happy Holidays!

Hello. That Sony HX929 is one nice TV! You should be hearing differences with the various incremental "tone" settings on the 550W. E.g., an extreme setting of Bass tone to +6 and the SW to +6 and testing with a Blu-ray movie will bounce you out of your place compared to +2 bass tone respectively.

Couple of questions:

  1. What cables are you using to connect your components to your 550W ?
  2. What source are you using to test your 550W ?
  3. What level do you have the 550W master volume set ?

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #235 of 556 Old 12-06-2011, 07:18 PM
Member
 
nandopr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2003
Location: Orlando, FL
Posts: 42
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

Hello. That Sony HX929 is one nice TV! You should be hearing differences with the various incremental "tone" settings on the 550W. E.g., an extreme setting of Bass tone to +6 and the SW to +6 and testing with a Blu-ray movie will bounce you out of your place compared to +2 bass tone respectively.

Couple of questions:

  1. What cables are you using to connect your components to your 550W ?
  2. What source are you using to test your 550W ?
  3. What level do you have the 550W master volume set ?

Thank you for your help.

I am using HS HDMI cable.

I switch to the DVD setting with the CT550W. My BR player (BDP-S780) HDMI output connect to the BR HDMI input (CT550W) and the HDMI output go to the TV HDMI input. (The one with the audio return)

The level sound is about 35 or 40.

But thanks to you I realized that the unit is working great. I was doing the test with regular TV shows. ( my mistake)

When I did try with the BR movie, I was able to hear the differences! And wao, what nice sound! Perfect for my cozy apartment.

Thank you again!
nandopr is offline  
post #236 of 556 Old 12-06-2011, 08:33 PM
AVS Special Member
 
LBJ2's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 1,054
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by nandopr View Post


Thank you for your help.

I am using HS HDMI cable.

I switch to the DVD setting with the CT550W. My BR player (BDP-S780) HDMI output connect to the BR HDMI input (CT550W) and the HDMI output go to the TV HDMI input. (The one with the audio return)

The level sound is about 35 or 40.

But thanks to you I realized that the unit is working great. I was doing the test with regular TV shows. ( my mistake)

When I did try with the BR movie, I was able to hear the differences! And wao, what nice sound! Perfect for my cozy apartment.

Thank you again!

Ok. Great. You have a nice set up there. Enjoy!

LB
LBJ2 is offline  
post #237 of 556 Old 12-08-2011, 02:07 PM
Newbie
 
impu1se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by impu1se View Post

So what exactly is the benefit of having the cable box plugged directly into the 550w? (this is my current configuration).

Say I wanted to play music through the 550w using an ipod plugged in with the red/white line in cables, and have the TV put out regular old tv sound through the tv speakers....is this possible? I can't figure out how to do it when the cable box is plugged directly into the 550w because when I change the input to "line in" the TV input changes as well.

anyone? anyone? bueller?? anyone?
impu1se is offline  
post #238 of 556 Old 12-08-2011, 02:22 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Possumgirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: SoCal (L.A. area)
Posts: 1,901
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by impu1se View Post

So what exactly is the benefit of having the cable box plugged directly into the 550w? (this is my current configuration).

Say I wanted to play music through the 550w using an ipod plugged in with the red/white line in cables, and have the TV put out regular old tv sound through the tv speakers....is this possible? I can't figure out how to do it when the cable box is plugged directly into the 550w because when I change the input to "line in" the TV input changes as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by impu1se View Post

anyone? anyone? bueller?? anyone?

The benefit of connecting the cable box to the 550W is that you get 5.1 audio when it's available.

If you want to connect your iPod using a Y-cable, just plug the RCA ends into the analog input on the back of the 550W that corresponds to the button on the remote that I think is named something like "sat/ctv".

If you want to listen to cable through the TV speakers, just turn the 550W off. Of course, be sure you have pass-through enabled.

Bueller is off for the day.
Possumgirl is offline  
post #239 of 556 Old 12-11-2011, 11:55 AM
Member
 
amoney805's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 38
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by LBJ2 View Post

I stand corrected with regards to the PS3 FAT and bitstream vs LPCM. Thanks for directing my attention to this issue with the Ps3 Fat.
Based upon your comment above and further encouraged by engagdet http://hd.engadget.com/2009/04/21/hd...with-your-ps3/

I just tried it out again this morning utilizing the Inception bluray disk and my old PS3 Fat and engadget's instruction above. I clearly hear and see the difference even though the 550W front panel displays DTS it does not display DTS-HD while the PS3 Fat is outputting bitstream--I was also able to confirm this while displaying the audio details during soundtrack playback in both bitstream and LPCM.

To be clear to other members in this forum...all my future recommendations will include an exception for the PS3 FAT recommending to leave that particular system in LPCM not Bitstream.


Using the PS3 FAT, i went back and forth between bitstream and LPCM and both times DTS appears on the display. I was using Yogi Bear 3D as reference with 1.4 HDMI cables.
Am I doing something wrong, am I supposed to see DTS-HD while using LPCM?
amoney805 is offline  
post #240 of 556 Old 12-12-2011, 09:12 AM
Member
 
Tuan's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2003
Location: Graham, WA
Posts: 192
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by amoney805 View Post

Using the PS3 FAT, i went back and forth between bitstream and LPCM and both times DTS appears on the display. I was using Yogi Bear 3D as reference with 1.4 HDMI cables.
Am I doing something wrong, am I supposed to see DTS-HD while using LPCM?

The PS3 cannot output loss-less audio + 3D at the same time. Anytime 3D is enabled, it will only output Dolby Digital or DTS. Its a limitation of the PS3 itself, so you are not going crazy
Tuan is offline  
Reply Soundbars

Thread Tools
Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off