using hdmi ARC with samsung soundbar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 05:58 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hello everyone. this is my first time posting so thanks in advance for any help. i just bought a samsung un55d7000 led 3d tv, i have a xbox 360 slim, samsung 3d blu ray player and comcast hd dvr cable box. i getting ready to purchase a samsung 2.1 soundbar with wireless sub and im having a hard time figuring the best way to hook everything up. the tv has hdmi arc which i have read a little about but im still confused. would i hook up all of my components into the tv like they are now and use an optical cable into the soundbar for the best sound. or would i have everything hooked into the tv and then use a hdmi cable from the hdmi arc into the soundbar via hdmi. any help would be greatly appreciated
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 05-21-2011, 06:13 PM

Liked: 10
ARC only works via HDMI, most soundbars that have 1 HDMI have enough to do switching.

We can't really help till you decide on whether you want a soundbar with HDMI switching, or just one that uses the tos-link.
post #3 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 04:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by searles400 View Post

hello everyone. this is my first time posting so thanks in advance for any help. i just bought a samsung un55d7000 led 3d tv, i have a xbox 360 slim, samsung 3d blu ray player and comcast hd dvr cable box. i getting ready to purchase a samsung 2.1 soundbar with wireless sub and im having a hard time figuring the best way to hook everything up. the tv has hdmi arc which i have read a little about but im still confused. would i hook up all of my components into the tv like they are now and use an optical cable into the soundbar for the best sound. or would i have everything hooked into the tv and then use a hdmi cable from the hdmi arc into the soundbar via hdmi. any help would be greatly appreciated

Simple hook-up,,, just make use of the one ARC HDMI input on your panel and leave all you other source's hooked up to you panel.

No need to use an opical hook-up if your using the ARC correctly.

Cheers
Davyo
post #4 of 4 Old 05-22-2011, 07:27 AM

Liked: 52
In general it is better to use the soundbar for switching and not the TV. In your case since it is a 2.1 soundbar it probably doesn't matter but for a surround bar it does. TVs usually only output stereo signals from their digital out or ARC with the exception being if the source is the over the air tuner in the TV. That will output 5.1 if it is a 5.1 program.

It doesn't matter if the other sources are 5.1 because when they authenticate to the TV, the TV reports it is only a stereo device and only a stereo signal is then sent from the source. The digital output or ARC device is usually not considered in the authentication process. Also, you don't get the lossless formats through ARC. So if you have a surround bar or receiver it is usually better to use those devices for switching.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page