Soundbar for bedroom install with no sub - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-23-2011, 06:56 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am looking for a good soundbar for my bedroom that does not have a sub. I am limited in space and a sub will just not fit.
I am pairing it with a Sony NX810 and am looking for a bar that does not need a separate receiver but can just plug into the TV.
Can anyone recommend the best animal for the job.

Thanks
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-23-2011, 07:30 PM

Liked: 10
This is probably the "worst" soundbar there is, but it will still sound better than anything but a Mitsubishi. Anything else you pick will be better than this one.
http://www.amazon.com/VIZIO-VSB200-U...6204101&sr=1-4
post #3 of 10 Old 05-23-2011, 11:27 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post

This is probably the "worst" soundbar there is, but it will still sound better than anything but a Mitsubishi. Anything else you pick will be better than this one.

I almost fell off my computer chair laughing....

Is it really that bad?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-24-2011, 01:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Before you rule out the VSB-200, it might be a good idea to read some of the reviews in this or other forums or even user comments.

I still have a VSB-200 connected to TV, Blu-Ray and MP3 player in the bedroom and it does a very good job. Decent bass even without a sub-woofer, balanced sound troughout the musical spectrum. Low end rolls off below 120hz so if you want serious bass impact, you would need a sub-woofer, but for less than a c-note, an amazing deal.

As info, the VSB-200 replaced a Sony CT-100 (about $ 300) that had several months earlier replaced a Yamaha YSP-950 plus sub-woofer (about $ 1,600). My son continues to use the Yamaha and the Sony was sold about a year ago. The Vizio has much better dynamic range than either of the other units and a more natural sound on most program material than either.

Weakest surround effects of the three units, but I prefer good sound over so-so sound mixed with various effects.

Based on consumer reviews, the VSB-200 also seems very reliable. Few reported problems.

David Freeman
post #5 of 10 Old 05-24-2011, 09:22 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

Before you rule out the VSB-200, it might be a good idea to read some of the reviews in this or other forums or even user comments.

I still have a VSB-200 connected to TV, Blu-Ray and MP3 player in the bedroom and it does a very good job. Decent bass even without a sub-woofer, balanced sound troughout the musical spectrum. Low end rolls off below 120hz so if you want serious bass impact, you would need a sub-woofer, but for less than a c-note, an amazing deal.

As info, the VSB-200 replaced a Sony CT-100 (about $ 300) that had several months earlier replaced a Yamaha YSP-950 plus sub-woofer (about $ 1,600). My son continues to use the Yamaha and the Sony was sold about a year ago. The Vizio has much better dynamic range than either of the other units and a more natural sound on most program material than either.

Weakest surround effects of the three units, but I prefer good sound over so-so sound mixed with various effects.

Based on consumer reviews, the VSB-200 also seems very reliable. Few reported problems.

i will check the vsb-200. thanks
post #6 of 10 Old 05-24-2011, 09:28 PM - Thread Starter

Any other soundbars out there that work? I was reading the Yamaha bar is preety good too.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-25-2011, 02:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 47
Yamaha YSP-2200 is excellent. Best Yamaha I have heard.

Compared it side by side with Yamaha 5100 which sells for around 2k and to all that were there, the 2200 was preferable on almost all subject material.

It does include a dedicated sub-woofer and the price is considerably higher. I believe it lists around $800 and some users have found it for around $500.

David Freeman
post #8 of 10 Old 09-06-2011, 11:49 AM

Liked: 10
I am using the VSB200 for my Sony HX700 / HX701 in the family room. It is actually very good for the money. Only thing I found is that I have to leave it on all the time in case it does not receive the on macro from my remote and my kids or wife can't figure out why no sound is coming out (I connect it to the TV sound output) so also have to be careful that the right input of the speaker bar is selected (another reason I keep it on all the time). I have also been thinking about the JVC TH-BC1 or BC3, which also has no sub (I want to minimize the amount of wireless things in the house, hence prefer no wireless sub) but switches off automatically and will switch on with any input button or power button being pressed.

Sony also produces a speaker bar which does not have a sub and switches on and off with the tv (only analogue input), I have thought of trying this as well but can't see many reviews.

http://www.samsclub.com/sams/shop/pr...s#BVRRWidgetID
post #9 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

+1 I have one in my bedroom and via toslink it sounds very good especially for dialog, for bedroom use and at its price it can't be beat.
post #10 of 10 Old 09-07-2011, 12:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by schan1269 View Post
I just saw this post by "schan1269" .... all I can say is wow !!!!

The worst soundbar there is,,,, not hardly,,,, have you even heard the soundbar your slamming ?

Anyone that reads his post I would urge to completely ignor his statement/opinion.

Cheers
Davyo
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page