3D pass-through? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all, long time lurker, new member here. Great forum.

Now I have a question. I recently purchased the LG 55LW5600 3DTV and am now looking for a sound bar. Can someone explain what 3D pass-through is? Do I have to have it to watch 3D programming? Probably a total newb question, but hey, this is where the answers are, right?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Some soundbars have HDMI inputs, allowing you to connect your components directly to the soundbar and then connect the soundbar to the TV via HDMI. 3D pass-through means the soundbar is capable of sending the 3D signal received from the connected component to the TV.
post #3 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 02:13 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks possumgirl. So the soundbar must have hdmi inputs? Optical won't work?
post #4 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 02:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 127
How many components do you have to connect to the TV?

What kind of audio out connections do those components have (HDMI, optical, analog)?

If you only have one or two components to connect, I would wire the HDMI directly to the tv and send the audio signal to the soundbar from the tv with the audio out connectors on the tv.

XBOX Live ID: HONDEboyMAN
PSN ID: ahartig
post #5 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 03:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Htownm, no you don't have to use one with HDMI inputs. See Ahartig's response for another option. But if you DO select one with HDMI inputs, it needs to support 3D pass-through.

If you connect your components directly to the TV, you're better off audio-wise connecting optical from the component directly to the soundbar instead of using optical (or ARC) from the TV. Going out from the TV will only give you 2 ch. stereo, not 5.1 audio.
post #6 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 03:40 PM - Thread Starter

I have a Comcast HD DVR box and a PS3. So...

PS3 and Cable box (HDMI) > soundbar (with 3d pass thru) > TV (ARC). That would be the ideal audio setup? Appreciate the help. Now I need to find my CT350.
post #7 of 10 Old 05-31-2011, 04:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownm View Post

I have a Comcast HD DVR box and a PS3. So...

PS3 and Cable box (HDMI) > soundbar (with 3d pass thru) > TV (ARC). That would be the ideal audio setup? Appreciate the help. Now I need to find my CT350.

That would be a very clean setup with a minimum of cabling. There are e-tailers still selling the CT350 although at or near MSRP. You might keep your eye on eBay. A couple new ones sold the last few days for around $300. Keep checking Amazon also.
post #8 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 04:00 AM

Hi there, looks like I got the right thread to ask my question, so I'm hoping y'all might be able to kindly assist me. Please bear with me as I'm no advanced techie (I just know how to hook up an HDTV to my cable box & videogame consoles w/ HDMI cables and sync my wireless devices to the wireless router#..hehe..

Components that will be included:
-an LG INFINIA 55LW5600 55" Full 3D 1080p HDTV LED LCD Television w/ Web Browser and Internet Apps
-an LG BD670 3D Wireless Network Blu-ray Disc Player w/ Smart TV
-a JVC TH-BA1 Soundbar system #4.1 channel & Dolby Digital/DTS/Dolby Pro Logic II Decoders, 2 Digital Optical Audio-In ports# w/ 2.4GHz Wireless Subwoofer and an accompanying Mediabridge Toslink Optical Digital Audio Cable

Ok, so here's the scoop: like htownm I recently purchased the same LG 55LW5600 3DTV #along with the LG BD670 3D Blu-ray Player# and want to see if/how my existing JVC TH-BA1 Soundbar system will play nice & work on the new 3DHDTV.

After reading through this thread the first thing I did was to check to see if the soundbar has HDMI ports but it doesn't, only the 2 Digital #Optical# Audio-In ports. I haven't received the new LG TV & BD Player as yet #they're expected sometime this week# so I'm currently using my soundbar w/ my older TV #a Vizio VP504F, which the new LG 3DHDTV will replace#, connected to it via the Mediabridge Toslink Optical Digital Audio Cable I bought alongside the soundbar back in Feb '10.

With that in mind, does anyone know if I'll encounter problems connecting the TH-BA1 to the new LG set via the optical digital audio cable? Will I lose any sound fidelity? Does the 3D BD Player come into play and make the setup more complicated? If there are potential problems could someone please suggest any work-arounds? I don't want to have to look for a newer soundbar and shell out more $.

I've previously gotten great help here on the forums when I got my Vizio HDTV and any help with these new questions would be very much appreciated :# Thanks in advance and very best,

Kurt #VermithraxDagon#
post #9 of 10 Old 08-27-2011, 11:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VermithraxDagon View Post

With that in mind, does anyone know if I'll encounter problems connecting the TH-BA1 to the new LG set via the optical digital audio cable? Will I lose any sound fidelity? Does the 3D BD Player come into play and make the setup more complicated? If there are potential problems could someone please suggest any work-arounds? I don't want to have to look for a newer soundbar and shell out more $.

I've previously gotten great help here on the forums when I got my Vizio HDTV and any help with these new questions would be very much appreciated :# Thanks in advance and very best,

Kurt #VermithraxDagon#

Hi Kurt. As you know from reading this thread, the TV will only output 2 ch. stereo from components connected to it. With some soundbars that doesn't matter much, but the TH-BA1 is a true 4.1 soundbar that can process DD5.1 and DTS. There is a dedicated thread here for it and Davyo is our resident expert. He always recommends connecting audio via optical directly to the soundbar so you're only using the video portion of your HDMI connection on the panel.

You didn't mention if you have other components besides the new BD player. Like a cable/sat receiver? You need to use one optical from the TV for your internet streaming apps. So....

Connect the BD player via HDMI to TV, disable HDMI audio-out on the player, and connect optical from player to bar.

If you happen to watch TV OTA, just connect optical from TV to the other optical in on the bar and you're good to go. If however, you have a receiver you've got a choice. Connect it to the TV and settle for 2 ch. stereo out, or consider getting an optical switch to connect both the receiver and TV to the bar.
post #10 of 10 Old 08-28-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by htownm View Post

Hey all, long time lurker, new member here. Great forum.

Now I have a question. I recently purchased the LG 55LW5600 3DTV and am now looking for a sound bar. Can someone explain what 3D pass-through is?

The 3D pass-through feature means that a 3D signal can be input into the receiver (sound bar), then passed through to a 3D TV. The receiver (sound bar) itself cannot process a 3D signal or create a 3D signal.
Reply Soundbars