Do I need a soundbar? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 06-12-2011, 06:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking to purchase a LCD or plasma and wall mount it. The room is pretty open and 'live', so the volume on my current CRT has to be pretty cranked up up in order to understand the dialogue. My assumption (and correct me if I am wrong) is that any reasonbaly price flat panel display is going to have lesser quality speakers (compared to the old CRTs) due to size restrictions. With this assumpton in mind I would like to get a stand alone speaker set, stereo sound is really all that I need i.e. surround sound emulation not a nesssity. I however do not want traditional bookshelves with a reciever (like I have in my basement family room). All I want is some low profile, good sound speaker(s) that have built in amplification (or the amp is small enough to hide behind the wall mounted TV.

So to the question, do I need a soundbar? I want good astetically pleasing sound.... the basement family room is where the surround sound movies will be watched. Also, correct me if I am wrong about all (reasonbaly inexpensive) flat TVs having crappy sound.

Thanks a ton guys.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 06-12-2011, 11:18 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 12
like many many state here soundbars will improve a lot the TV sound....and dialogue will be at last understandable.
Best one on the market are:

sony ct350....
yamaha ysp 2200
B&W panorama
yamaha ysp 4100
jvc ba1
yamaha s400 (some were impressed others hated it....)

and potentially the new Boston acoustic model 30....

now it all depends on your needs....
post #3 of 6 Old 06-14-2011, 01:36 PM

"All I want is some low profile, good sound speaker(s) that have built in amplification" - tilt

I'm looking for something similar as well. I just purchased a 32" LED LCD (Samsung UN32D4000). It will sit on top of a TV table. The table has three shelves that are 21" wide. One shelf will hold a cable company STB. If the TV's built-in speakers aren't good enough, I would like to find something like a small soundbar or a couple of self-amplified speakers that will fit on one of the shelves. It is volume, clarity, and simplicity that I'm after, not surround. Surround would be ok, but it is not required.

A ZVOX type system would work, but I don't think I want to raise the TV up by setting it on the ZVOX box.

The tiny-speaker BOSE systems would work (e.g. GS Series II) but they're overkill (i.e. too expensive at $800.)

All the soundbars that I've seen are 31" or wider.

I suspect that I'll need to be more flexible to find a solution. For now, I'm hoping that the TV's built-in speakers are adequate.
post #4 of 6 Old 06-14-2011, 03:08 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrock12 View Post

The table has three shelves that are 21" wide. .

Mrock, are any of the shelves open ended? I had a similar situation with a tv stand slightly less than 24" wide. Primed and painted a longer piece of plywood to match the stand and placed it on the top opened ended shelf to support a 31 1/2" soundbar. Works and looks great.
post #5 of 6 Old 06-15-2011, 03:52 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrock12 View Post

32" LED LCD (Samsung UN32D4000). It will sit on top of a TV table. The table has three shelves that are 21" wide. One shelf will hold a cable company STB. If the TV's built-in speakers aren't good enough, I would like to find something like a small soundbar or a couple of self-amplified speakers that will fit on one of the shelves. It is volume,clarity..

Well alot of the time a soundbar sounds best above the TV, if that's visually acceptable in your household. Mounting it to the top of your TV is recommended. About a foot or two above ear level.

If not, then next best position would probably be on the table top just below your screen. Putting speakers inside cabinets and or boxing them into shelves is not recommended for creating the best sound quality.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-16-2011, 08:21 AM

Plans for the table will be changing. Instead of a corner table, now the plan is to put the table against a wall. This should give me more flexibility for an audio solution.

I understand the consequences of a low mounted confined speaker location. The acceptable esthetics factor may overrule the sound quality factor. Some things are not flexible :-). Sufficient volume level is the primary attribute, although I would like to get decent sound quality.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page