ZVOX 555 & 580 (new models June '11) -anyone evaluate them yet? - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 48 Old 02-04-2012, 03:07 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought a ZVOX-555 to go with my Samsung UN40D6000, which is a huge improvement over the built-in TV speakers. The Samsung instructions say that the TV automatically decodes 5.1 audio, DTS, etc. to stereo. I have my DVD player, Xbox 360 and HD cable STB connected to the TV via HDMI, and the ZVOX connected to the TV via optical out. The audio sounds good but very stereo to me; would there be a benefit to surround quality by connecting the DVD player, Xbox and STB to the ZVOX via composite, rather than to the Samsung?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 48 Old 02-04-2012, 07:27 PM

I haven't heard much about the 430......how does it compare to 555?
post #33 of 48 Old 02-28-2012, 08:49 AM

Liked: 11
Hey yo, if anyone is interested... here is a new review of the 580:
http://www.hometheater.com/content/z...e-580-soundbar
post #34 of 48 Old 02-29-2012, 07:35 PM

Does anyone know if the ZVOX 555 would be able to support a panasonic 55 ST30? The base is 22" by 15" deep. The depth I measured from the top, but the base is a bit thinner than that. Has anyone tried this combo?
post #35 of 48 Old 03-14-2012, 10:01 AM

What is the best way of connecting zvox to my setup.? I have a pany 42 inch plasma with only optical output connected to a ps3 and logitech revue via hdmi. Now the optical output can only send a two channel output. What if I want to use the inbuilt Dolby decoder in the zvox?
post #36 of 48 Old 03-14-2012, 01:08 PM

if you want Dolby digital, you have to run it directly to the ZVOX. If you go through your particular TV, it will be sent as a 2.0. How do you like your ZVOX and which one do you have?
post #37 of 48 Old 03-18-2012, 04:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSero View Post

if you want Dolby digital, you have to run it directly to the ZVOX. If you go through your particular TV, it will be sent as a 2.0. How do you like your ZVOX and which one do you have?

Got the Zvox 580 from zvox on ebay.

Good
1. Easy to set up no cables running around. very compact and takes up no space.
2. Very good sound quality for normal TV viewing and movies espacially the mids.
3. the lows are really good for such a small setup. you wont miss them unless you are used to home theater style dedicated subs.
4. Awesome built quality and sound for 420(for open box).

Bad
1. I miss the highs. although i did trying switching on the TV speakers for the highs I still dont get the highs I would like in this setup.
Alot of people discuss how the subs or the lows are not up there or a dedicated sub would sound better but I did not feel it was missing much in that area. especially when you consider the size and the convinience. I do miss the highs which the 3.5 inch speakers miss out on. The Surround setting 2 is really good and I also got a little improvement in the sound feeding dolby 5.1 directly to the Zvox.

Overall i will probaby return this and try to find something else if possible in my budget which is at 400 more or less. But i do hate to let it go. Sighhhh
post #38 of 48 Old 03-23-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Isidhu View Post

1. I miss the highs. although i did trying switching on the TV speakers for the highs I still dont get the highs I would like in this setup.
Alot of people discuss how the subs or the lows are not up there or a dedicated sub would sound better but I did not feel it was missing much in that area. especially when you consider the size and the convinience. I do miss the highs which the 3.5 inch speakers miss out on.

Overall i will probaby return this and try to find something else if possible in my budget which is at 400 more or less. But i do hate to let it go. Sighhhh

Well, sorry to hear that the highs are a deal breaker for you.... I do agree that ZVOX should put some tweeters in the box, you are right about the 3.5s missing some frequencies. My TV speakers do an OK job at filling in, but I wish I didn't have to use them.

Please let us know what you end up getting and how you like it.
post #39 of 48 Old 03-23-2012, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore777 View Post

Well, sorry to hear that the highs are a deal breaker for you.... I do agree that ZVOX should put some tweeters in the box, you are right about the 3.5s missing some frequencies. My TV speakers do an OK job at filling in, but I wish I didn't have to use them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore777 View Post

Ya that and the GF really dint like it at all. We ended up buying a JVC BA3 lol. I never though i could fit in that much stuff but incredibly it dint take that much space. especially the whole wireless thing is really good. The soundbar and the sub are on the media cabinet and besides it resp. and the surrounds go behind the couch. Its kinda tough configuring the surrounds cos the right speaker has a big opening for the kitchen right below it and i dont think i can mount it any place else. Other then that I might have to mount the bar on top of the tv if possible cos it does interfer with the TV remore sensor(soundbar is kinda big covering up the sensors on the tv). I will probably use the harmony built in the logitech revue. this is my first time using a harmony but this weekend I might go and do it. The bar has two optical inputs and my logitech revue and the PS3 both hooked up to it. Havent tried any music on it yet but i dont expect much as long as it is tolarable.

First impressions
1. Very easy to setup and pair except the time to place the speakers and hiding wiring etc.
2. The paired remote is really good with easy to use self explanaitory buttons. I think i gf will like the remote.
3. the sound is really good so far i have been able to play 300 and kung fu panda (Am still not happy with the sound from the ps3 maybe some more tweeking) and the sound including the surround is awesome for what i spent(i did hear the BOSE at BB and wasnt really impressed) The sub is ok but i dint expect anything spectacular(ZVOX was better with the lows).
4. I am no audiophile but i know what i like and what i dont. the Zvox was alright but this is way better (it should be too as it is a genuine 5.1 setup).
5. I am letting the bar do all the decoding and i like the way it handles it. with very few setting to change once configured(think surround modes & volume button) this should be very user friendly.

So much for the first impression now i bought it as a refurb from ebay with 30 days money back (this is like the 5 day or so). I also bought the square trade as there have been alot of complains about the volume controls etc. but hopefully this wont have them. any comments on how square trade works good, awesome, ok, not so good?

I dint spend much and even with the warrenty it comes to a little over 300 but this is totally worth every penny and even more. Basically i have only tried this and the zvox at home and from the comments from davyo I gathered it should beat anything upto the 500 to 600 price range (and at half the price _)
post #40 of 48 Old 03-25-2012, 06:04 AM

Isidhu,

Well, you went for a big mammer-jammer! Looks like an awesome system. I could never get anything like that in my living room without signing the divorce papers!

Seriously, happy that you like your new system and I am not suprised that its better sounding that the ZVOX (I am surprised about what you said about the bass though.....). I think you were looking for a bit more than ZVOX has to offer in the first place. There is definitely a tradeoff performance-wise when you get one... it worked out great for me though. My wife is still here!

About the Bose..... from what I can gather there is quite a disparity between the sound in the store and at home (depending on the store display). You might have been more impressed at home. That being said, you could buy a nice big plasma and a good sound system for the same price! My Sony
46HX909 cost less!!! (Love the TV, BTW).

Sorry for rambling... it is in my nature....

Cheers!
post #41 of 48 Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM

Kilgore

Scratch the bass part, was just some weird setting probably. Now that I'm getting used to the settings and what not its really showing its true colors. The system continues to amaze me.

I think it is unfair to compare it with the zvox. The zvox has a very specific function around which it is designed and the jvc on the other hand is more or less a 5.1 system. Anyways I have had the jvc for more time than the zvox and am loving it.

About the BOSE I wasn't really interested in such as expensive system and the hookup at BB was less than perfect. Having said that I can't really compair both, for that I will have to hook it up at home and test side by side. Not gonna happen.
post #42 of 48 Old 02-09-2013, 11:26 AM

Hello everyone. I just purchased a ZVOX 555 and I am very satisfied with the purchase. Also the folks at ZVOX are top notch if you have to call with a problem. Since I don't want to post a second time, I copied the following from my post on the Sony KDL55HX750 thread since I just purchased that tv last week also. If the ZVOX folks reads my post below, please correct if I didn't say it right. Once again, my family and I love the ZVOX 555 and as long as you know what you are buying, you won't be dissapointed. Here is my post from the sony tv thread:

Hi Steve, If you decide to go the ZVOX 555 route, let me give you some important advice in relationship to the Sony 750. When I first hooked it up we were thrilled with the great sound. Later, we were watching the news and the sound of the newsbroadcaster was going in and out. Then when a commercial came, the sound blasted which is not supposed to happen since we had the "output levelizing" on. When we switched to the History Channel we were back to great sound. I called ZVOX up and those guys are incredibly helpfull and patient. Here is the problem - ZVOX includes in the box a set of RCA cables with red and white plugs. The 750 has no output in the back to handle RCA cable. The 750 only has 2 audio outputs, a digital optical output and a 3.5mm stereo mini-plug. I bought a digital optical cord and attached it to the tv and zvox. Everything was great. Then lousy with news. ZVOX said the problem is the digital optical cable allows the XVOX 555 to handle dolby digital. Most of tv content and all of movies are dolby digital and everything is fine. Problem is live broadcasts like news and sports are not transferred to cable box in dolby digital so the digital optical cable doesn't work right. There are two solutions to this. One - either at tv or at cable box change sound settings from dolby digital to PCM stereo and problem is fixed. Except you lose dolby digital for good just to get live broadcasts right. Second solution is to buy another cable called an RCA to 3.5mm mini-plug cable. One side of the wire has the red and white cables the other side of the wire has a 3.5mm mini-plug which plugs into the side of the 750 right above the HDMI input. So now you have two sets of wires coming out of tv and into ZVOX. One is the digital optical cable and the other is the rca - mini-plug cable. All you have to do now is use the remote to switch the input on the ZVOX between the two cables. This is very easy to do. Most of the time you will be using the digital optical cable and news and sports you will have pcm stereo with the rca - mini-plug cable. The cable is inexpensive at $7.00. It is not ZVOX's fault or Sony's fault. It is the signal being received into the house. The problem may just be with my cable provider because I haven't read any complaints on amazon reviews on it. ZVOX is sending me the wire and I haven't received it yet. The good news with ZVOX is you have a free 30 day trial to return it with no questions asked. If anyone does buy the ZVOX 555 here are my settings: Dialog Emphasis off, Output Leveling on, Surround Sound at 3, treble at 2 and base at 3. I have purchased 2 Sony soundbars and returned them the next day because they just made everything louder - not better. I also used to have a stereo surrond sound system with Bose speakers and sub-woofer. The rumbling floor shaking bass gets old fast and after a few months we sold to a relative in his teens who liked it. I can guarantee you there is plenty of bass in the ZVOX 555 without a sub-woofer on the floor. I rambled a bit here but I can't say enough about the ZVOX 555 and wish I would have purchased years ago. My wife wants me to buy another one for our older Sony 46" upstairs since my wife and I sometimes watch different movies upstairs when my sons have their friends over in the family room. Looks like I rambled a bit here but just want to help out if I can.
post #43 of 48 Old 12-02-2013, 12:22 PM

The Zvox "works like a hearing aid" is this:

hearing aids are designed to help hear voices, mostly. So is the Zvox's DE thing. It filters out extraneous audio, and boosts the human speech range (around 2.5kHz). it also focuses in on the center channel, where most of the dialog is mixed into. In this way it becomes more like monaural speaker. It definitely works. The "hearing aid" comment sounds gimmiky, but it's not. Just clever use of audio filters and compression.
post #44 of 48 Old 03-29-2014, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
So the 580 and 555 are units that have been around for about two years?

I have a Sony 40-HX800 in an entertainment unit, 37 inches wide that holds in shelves, Time Warner Cable box, and Panasonic bluray player. HDMI used to hook both to the Sony.

Am considering 555 or 580. Local Bestbuy has an open box 580 for $292.99....it is huge, and will be a tight fit. Should likely go with the 555, but this open box price for the 580 is tough to pass on.

Many of you have had your 555/580's for a while now.....so do you still love them?

I appreciate your advice and feedback.
post #45 of 48 Old 03-29-2014, 05:07 PM

I've had my 555 since around the first of this year, and have no complaints with it. Where it really shines for me is watching Blu-ray movies. When I first got the 555 I watched an action film switching back and forth between the tv's speakers and the Zvox. I'm not an audiophile by any stretch, but the 555 sounded so much better than the tv speakers that I'm very satisfied with it. My tv is sitting on a small cabinet that leaves no room for a wide sound bar, so the Zvox fits my need perfectly, and it sounds very good to my ears.

post #46 of 48 Old 03-31-2014, 07:39 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Are you using optic cable from dvd player to zvox, or hdmi from dvd player to HDTV, then optic cable to zvox....or RCA cables?
post #47 of 48 Old 04-01-2014, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JSUL View Post

Are you using optic cable from dvd player to zvox, or hdmi from dvd player to HDTV, then optic cable to zvox....or RCA cables?

I've got my Dish HD receiver and DVD player connected to my Samsung TV with HDMI cables, and the Zvox 555 connected to the TV with an optical cable.

post #48 of 48 Old 08-26-2014, 04:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 49
I'm going to add a 580 tonight to my Samsung tv , a UN60es8000.

Currently using the free soundbar and blue tooth 8" sub that came with the tv however I'd like to improve the quality of dialogue and get a bigger sound without going to a 5.1 system. I boxed my 5.1 in favor of cleaning up the space. The Samsung sub delivers decent oomph but dialog.definately ready for a step up there if the Zvox is a good dollar value. If not, ill return it and save for a deftech.

The room is 24 x 13.

I'm going to add back in my Polk psw-110 subwoofer to the 580 and see how this works out. I'll report back after I tweak for a few days.

Love for all things Hi-def...Losing count; 200 plus bluray, 500 plus dvd, 30 plus HDdvd and a rapidly growing 50 plus in the cloud.

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Zvox 555 Low Profile Single Cabinet Surround Sound System With Optical And Coaxial Digital Inputs , Zvox 580 Low Profile Single Cabinet Surround Sound System With Optical And Coaxial Digital Inputs

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page