Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 81 Old 08-05-2013, 12:29 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by bam1927yankee View Post

I just want the ZVOX to improve my audio from my XBR Sony TV. I'm not looking for Surround Sound at all and I know the ZVOX 555 would not provide that anyway. Thanks for your suggestions.

The ZVOX will do that and more! I got a factory refurbished 580 from ZVOX's eBay store, it comes with full original warranty, optical cable and a 30-day money back, just like the new ones do. They also have the other models available too just a matter of when you catch them online.

Anyways, its sounds 100% better than any new TV speakers out there and it acts as a sturdy base. Setup is super easy, solid construction all the way around, the dialog enhancement feature works wonders, spoken words are so clear and crisp, surround settings 1 and 2 are also great for movies. It will rumble your room!!!

Just note, the dimensions of the 580 are quite large, I decided to return it for a 555 unit which will sit beneath my new Sharp 60" 757 coming in this week.

ZVOX EBAY STORE PRICING: 580 @ $349 - 555 @ $299 That's for B-stock refurbished, honestly they are like new, open box returns so no worries smile.gif
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 81 Old 10-05-2013, 01:08 PM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Can my Zvox 555 be hooked up to my Yamaha receiver and if so what is the best way? Just haven't purchased separate speakers yet for a true 5.1 setup.
post #63 of 81 Old 10-09-2013, 11:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cla55clown View Post

Can my Zvox 555 be hooked up to my Yamaha receiver and if so what is the best way? Just haven't purchased separate speakers yet for a true 5.1 setup.

To answer my own question (I believe) is that you need an AVR that has pre-amp outputs in order to connect the Zvox since it is an active speaker/cabinet. My particular AVR does not (except for subwoofer preout) so I can't use it with the receiver. Posting this in case someone else finds it helpful.
post #64 of 81 Old 11-02-2013, 04:24 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 43
My hat is off to AVS Forum -- great discussion on a low profile product. Even answered my question on the performance differences between the 555 and 580.

My 555 is on its way, should be here Tuesday. I needed a low profile no extra wires boxes or anything else upgrade to flatscreen TV sound. I auditioned the Bose Cinemate and was frankly impressed, but those prices. Yikes! Just could not do it.

I am glad to see the subwoofer out plug -- if absolutely needed I can use a wireless connector and tie in a old Paradigm subwoofer I have in the loft. That defeats my 'no extra box' premise, but the Paradigm is a far better woofer than would come with almost any soundbar/woofer combo I would be willing to part coin for. Plus I have the thing.

But back to my first line -- when I really really have to know what is going on with a product I come to AVS. Remarkable resource.
post #65 of 81 Old 12-03-2013, 02:49 PM

Liked: 10

This is down to $349.00 with free shipping on Amazon

post #66 of 81 Old 12-04-2013, 07:43 PM

Great forum on the Zvox products. I tried the Bose Solo first and felt it was lacking in so many ways. I should be receiving a 555 tomorrow. The only other unit I was curious about is the Onkyo LS-T10. There are not many reviews out there for the Onkyo.
post #67 of 81 Old 12-06-2013, 08:19 PM

Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by velcrow View Post

I've finally had a chance to experience both for 2hrs when deciding which to buy (had saved for the 580 so the money differences are NOT a factor in this review):

- The sound (other than base (more later)) is almost identical to my and others' ears who were trying out both the 555 and 580. Both are A HUGE improvement over TV speakers. As others have stated - you aren't replacing a home theater 5.1 ro 7.1 system with the 555 or 580. But a wicked good improvement on even good-to-great TV speakers with both the 555 and 580.

- With 2 base speakers (and they are both larger) -- the 580's lows are what you are paying a premium for (not just money, but a costly size premium as well) as the other sound is about identical to the 555. The 580's base lows sound fantastic if that is what you are into. However, for me I honestly feel that if you are primarily watching movies and TV -> the 555 is the better choice. The base of the 580 is a little overwhelming for the other speakers in the 580 and I was unable to find a setting I liked without manually lowering the base settings (negating the need for the 580 in the first place.

- That said --- if you have a very large room, primarily use the Zvox for music, or like the base to be a bit more prominant than the other sound during TV/Movies --- then the 580 is for you.

CONCLUSIONS:

TV/Movies your primary use for Zvox? Go with 555

Music your primary use? Go with 580

Very large room? Go with 580

Love da base in movies/TV? Go with 580 but if you are BIG into base you'd most likely want to go with a seperate sub anyway.

What did I buy after spending 2 hours with each? Why?

Got the 555. It is much smaller/sleeker/sexier. It is BETTER in my opinion than the 580 for TV/Movies unless you neuter down the base in settings which negates the biggest part of the upgrade from 555->580.

Thanks! Hope this helps someone else in their decision.

Nice input. I've been looking at the 555 and 580 to go with my Sony W850A that I'll be ordering with it. I don't mind the price difference between the two, because 100 bucks is nothing for something I'll use so much. But I can use my current TV stand with the 555 as it'll fit on the middle shelf perfectly. However, the 580 is too wide and I would need a new TV stand. The Sonax that I would want with it is $350. So I'd be looking at a $450 premium to go with the 580. I live in an apartment, so too much bass would be a problem. Your review makes me want to go with the 555.
post #68 of 81 Old 12-22-2013, 07:47 AM

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Can anyone comment how the Zvox 555 would compare to the Bose Cinemate GS II or a Polk IHT5000 w/ the dedicated sub it comes with? I'm really torn between these choices for my parents.
post #69 of 81 Old 12-26-2013, 07:20 AM

Got a 555 for xmas to go with my samsung TV and DirecTV box hooked up via optical cable between the 555 and my TV.  Once i hooked it up and got it programmed with the DirecTV remote (really easy using the remote instructions on the Zvox website), the wife and I used the movie Les Miserables to test it out and wow were we impressed.  I thought the movie would be a good test since it has live singing with an audio soundtrack and good background noises.  Let me say you could hear every note and every rain drop.  Fantastic sound.  I have it set to Surround 2, Bass at +4, Treble at +2 with both OL and DE off.  I have yet to test it with anything else.  After reading this thread ill be interested to see what it sounds like when i watch my first hockey (go Pens!) or football (go Steelers!) game with people saying live broadcasts sound bad using the optical output. Im wondering if this is a TV specific problem.

post #70 of 81 Old 12-26-2013, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bina12834 View Post

Got a 555 for xmas to go with my samsung TV and DirecTV box hooked up via optical cable between the 555 and my TV.  Once i hooked it up and got it programmed with the DirecTV remote (really easy using the remote instructions on the Zvox website), the wife and I used the movie Les Miserables to test it out and wow were we impressed.  I thought the movie would be a good test since it has live singing with an audio soundtrack and good background noises.  Let me say you could hear every note and every rain drop.  Fantastic sound.  I have it set to Surround 2, Bass at +4, Treble at +2 with both OL and DE off.  I have yet to test it with anything else.  After reading this thread ill be interested to see what it sounds like when i watch my first hockey (go Pens!) or football (go Steelers!) game with people saying live broadcasts sound bad using the optical output. Im wondering if this is a TV specific problem.

I'm really close to purchasing the 555, and your review helps with my decision. I'm also interested in your impression of the 555 after listening to a sporting event such as football or hockey. I read a review on Amazon in which a guy returned the Zvox because he said he couldn't understand what the referee was saying during a football game. I also wondered if this was TV specific, and since I'll be using the 555 with a Samsung UN40ES6500 and a Dish receiver, I think your findings will be relevant to me. I'd appreciate it if you would post an update or send me a pm once you've had a chance to evaluate the 555 watching a game. Thanks for the review.

post #71 of 81 Old 12-26-2013, 09:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HCAg View Post

I'm really close to purchasing the 555, and your review helps with my decision. I'm also interested in your impression of the 555 after listening to a sporting event such as football or hockey. I read a review on Amazon in which a guy returned the Zvox because he said he couldn't understand what the referee was saying during a football game. I also wondered if this was TV specific, and since I'll be using the 555 with a Samsung UN40ES6500 and a Dish receiver, I think your findings will be relevant to me. I'd appreciate it if you would post an update or send me a pm once you've had a chance to evaluate the 555 watching a game. Thanks for the review.

Will do!

post #72 of 81 Old 12-27-2013, 09:54 AM

Does anyone else notice a popping sound when switching inputs on the TV?

post #73 of 81 Old 12-27-2013, 03:48 PM

Liked: 11
Think low popping is pretty normal. I have my cable box and blu ray player connected to my 555 instead of going through my Panasonic plasma. I'll hear a pop when switching inputs on the 555. Also hear an occasional pop at times when switching channels on my cable box. Think it's just the 555 connecting to a new active input. Can avoid if I change the input first before turning on the device. I would be concerned if they were loud or if you heard more than one.
post #74 of 81 Old 12-30-2013, 08:15 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Hopefully someone can answer this question.... I have a new LED by Samsung with the "spider leg" look for it's stand. I want to be sure before ordering the 555 if any owners are using it with similar stands?
Thank you.
post #75 of 81 Old 12-30-2013, 12:34 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by met64 View Post

Hopefully someone can answer this question.... I have a new LED by Samsung with the "spider leg" look for it's stand. I want to be sure before ordering the 555 if any owners are using it with similar stands?
Thank you.

Never Mind.... found my answer. Thxs
post #76 of 81 Old 12-31-2013, 09:50 AM

so i wanted to give an update.  i finally got around to watching a sporting event (hockey) using the 555 and i did not notice any difference.  I have yet to watch a live news broadcast, but if there was nothing wrong with the live hockey game, then i cant see a reason why a news broadcast would be any different.

post #77 of 81 Old 01-09-2014, 03:55 PM

I just received my Zvox 555 today and connected it to my Samsung UN46D8000 TV for use in the master bedroom. I connected it to the TV with a Toslink optical cable. I also added a Sony BDP-S5100 blue ray player to the setup by HDMI to the TV. Everything sounds great. I put a Lord of the Rings blue ray disk in to test and the sounds were really what I was expecting. The bass was great, even the subtle background sounds were crystal clear. All of this was at factory defaults on bass, treble, and Surround 1 with dialog emphasis & output leveling off. In other words, I haven't even started tweaking it yet. I have cable TV and it is connected with a HDMI cable only. So all I have between the Zvox, TV, and BDP are 2 HDMI cables and one optical toslink. The sound is a tremendous improvement over the TV speakers (full doesn't even begin to describe the difference). I don't really understand why anyone even compares the Zvox to a true surround sound system (I have a 5.1 system in the great room) because the footprint of the Zvox is so radically limited in comparison. I knew what I expected when I bought it and I am extremely pleased so far.

Two things.......

1. Concerning the DD/PCM thing. I watched a movie on the Sony blue ray, a HD streamed movie on Amazon video, a football game on cable, and a local news broadcast. I could not discern a difference at all as far as volume fluctuation and background/foreground issues.

2. I have switched inputs every way I can think of with all components on and not one single pop sound (loud or otherwise)

The system is performing just as I hoped it would.

I don't know if it matters, but the cable box is a Scientific Atlanta Explorer 8300 HDC DVR box.
post #78 of 81 Old 01-30-2014, 02:37 PM

Anyone try adding a powered sub to their Zvox? With the 6.5" woofer built in, a subwoofer (12"+) would truly make this a full range system would it not.
post #79 of 81 Old 03-30-2014, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Am looking at the 555/580...my set up is Sony 40-HX800, with Time Warner Cable box and Panasonic bluray player hooked up via HDMI cables.

Am hoping optical cable will work, but can go w/red-white RCA cable if necessary.

Local BB has 580 open box for $292.95....hard to pass up, but real tight fit in my entertainment unit.
May go with new 555, as no open box ones around.
post #80 of 81 Old 04-26-2014, 06:55 PM

Use coupon code ZVOX555 to get a $50 discount on the zvoxaudio website. $300 is an excellent value for this product IMO.
post #81 of 81 Old 11-14-2014, 08:47 AM
Gov
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 117
I just placed an order for an "open box" from ZVOX for only $174 off of Amazon. I will be trying it with a Dayton Sub-1200 subwoofer. Right now I have been trying out a Vizio S3820W soundbar with the Dayton and have not been overly happy with that combination. Based on what I have read and what I am trying to achieve, the ZVOX 555 might fit the bill. I will post my thoughts after I get it and try it out for awhile. The ZVOX product looks very nice for the money!

Panny TC-P65VT60 (calibrated by Chad B), Denon AVR-4311, Comcast X1 DVR, Apple TV 3, Sony BDP-S5100, Ascend Acoustics Sierra Towers (mains), Horizon (CC) and HTM-200's (Surr), Dual PSA XV15 Subwoofers!!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Zvox 555 Low Profile Single Cabinet Surround Sound System With Optical And Coaxial Digital Inputs , Sony 46 Inch 3d Led Hdtv

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page