The Official BIC America Formula FH56-BAR Owners Thread - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 172 Old 12-14-2011, 11:28 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Thanks for the info, much appreciated...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 172 Old 12-15-2011, 08:49 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by flickhtguru View Post

Correct if you hook it up as the front 3 speakers the side 4" are unused.

I'm not so sure that's the case. I think the side speakers will still be utilized in a LCR setup. I'll try unhooking the rear channels and let you know what I get.
post #33 of 172 Old 12-17-2011, 05:23 PM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

I'm not so sure that's the case. I think the side speakers will still be utilized in a LCR setup. I'll try unhooking the rear channels and let you know what I get.

Can you also explain how the separate channels utilize the woofers. Does the center channel somehow share them with the left and right channels? I would like to use this with a Yamaha receiver and utilize the rear channels on the speaker as the effect channels from the receiver, but I'm a little confused on the channel separation going on inside this speaker.

Thanks,
post #34 of 172 Old 12-18-2011, 09:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimmy Bobarino View Post

Can you also explain how the separate channels utilize the woofers. Does the center channel somehow share them with the left and right channels? I would like to use this with a Yamaha receiver and utilize the rear channels on the speaker as the effect channels from the receiver, but I'm a little confused on the channel separation going on inside this speaker.

Thanks,

Here's the breakdown:

Center - Center tweeter and both woofers
Left - Left woofer, left tweeter and left side speaker
Right - Right woofer, right tweeter and right side speaker
Surround Left - Left side speaker
Surround Right - Right side speaker

So like I figured if you use this as just a LCR setup then all speakers are still utilized.
post #35 of 172 Old 12-18-2011, 03:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Here's the breakdown:

Center - Center tweeter and both woofers
Left - Left woofer, left tweeter and left side speaker
Right - Right woofer, right tweeter and right side speaker
Surround Left - Left side speaker
Surround Right - Right side speaker

So like I figured if you use this as just a LCR setup then all speakers are still utilized.

Your explanation makes sense, I just wasn't aware this was electrically possible. I've never seen multiple channels ran through one speaker before. Plus it seems like a lot of information for one speaker to process.

Can anyone explain the wiring schematic/diagram that would need to be going on inside this speaker? I always assumed putting two channels together from my amplifier would cause bad things to happen.
post #36 of 172 Old 12-18-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Your explanation makes sense, I just wasn't aware this was electrically possible. I've never seen multiple channels ran through one speaker before. Plus it seems like a lot of information for one speaker to process.

Can anyone explain the wiring schematic/diagram that would need to be going on inside this speaker? I always assumed putting two channels together from my amplifier would cause bad things to happen.

The side speakers are wired direct to the rear channel terminals and the other channels are wired to crossovers and then out to the speakers they utilize. The fact that they use crossovers prevents any of the speakers from being overloaded with "information".
post #37 of 172 Old 12-18-2011, 10:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 476 Post(s)
Liked: 265
Quote:

You can sum amplifier channels through resistors, or thru multiple voice coils.

Roger

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #38 of 172 Old 12-19-2011, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

You can sum amplifier channels through resistors, or thru multiple voice coils.

Thank you, I'm still a little confused on the the dual voice coil with stereo signals, but this answers my question.
post #39 of 172 Old 01-11-2012, 02:21 AM

Does anyone else own one of these and have feedback on it? I'm planning on buying this and running it with a Rythmik FV12.

Thanks,
Jason

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #40 of 172 Old 01-14-2012, 10:14 AM

thanks for the review. I am curious about this soundbar as well. Just a few question for the threadstarter. 1st time poster, long time lurker, be gentle

You mention that the surround effects werent very apperent. My understanding of most soundbars is that they rely on some sort of refelective surface, like a wall, to bounce those signals to simmulate surround sound. I was wondering if you had tried putting it in a corner to see if that would boost the surround effect. I notice you have it setup in a farily open space and thought that could be the reason for the diminished ef/fect. Was wanting to set it up this way myself. Tv and all in the corner of the room. also, how would you rate the sound level. Would you say its room filling? Was looking at some other sounbars, when i ran across this. Any help would be appreciated.
post #41 of 172 Old 01-19-2012, 07:34 PM

Got mine today, picked up together with Acoustech H100 sub.
Previously had an Energy soundbar w/8" wireless sub-impressive sound quality for 200.
However, Energy didnt reproduce music well and sub was underpowered for my lv.room.
FH 56 is a pig comparing to slender aluminum Energy bar.
One thing I noticed that music is much better in 2.1 than 5.1
I m still not 100% there with the sound I want to hear.
Are there any tweaks to this speaker.

post #42 of 172 Old 01-24-2012, 09:55 PM

Still have clarity issues, I have to max out tremble to make things clearer.
Didnt have to do anything with my Energys, they were crisp and clear w/o any tweaking but lacked dimension.
I read a review on partsexpress, this gentleman suggested adding a 5kHz high pass crossover to bring out highs. His comment was "the clarity and high extension is much cleaner and flat now".
post #43 of 172 Old 01-25-2012, 12:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serp07 View Post

Still have clarity issues, I have to max out tremble to make things clearer.
Didnt have to do anything with my Energys, they were crisp and clear w/o any tweaking but lacked dimension.
I read a review on partsexpress, this gentleman suggested adding a 5kHz high pass crossover to bring out highs. His comment was "the clarity and high extension is much cleaner and flat now".

I have no sound issues with mine. What receiver are you using (not sure what you mean in your last post about amplifying it). I'm using an Onkyo receiver and I ran the Audyssey calibration.
post #44 of 172 Old 01-25-2012, 07:33 PM

Im using Onkyo 5.1 receiver, I think its rated at 100watt per channel.
It might be that my music collection wasnt as high quality as I thought it was.
I listened to vinyl ripped Depeche Mode (24 bit 96khz FLAC) and it just blew me away. But regular mp3s sound horrible, lack of clarity just kills the experience. Mind you, I played Depeche in 5.1 mode.
As far as amplification goes, I thought I wasn't getting clarity because it lacked supplied wattage.
The Onkyo I have doesnt have auto calibration, but I played extensively with it, strangely, I had to set the distance almost twice the actual to enjoy the sound.
I ordered 5 kHz High Pass 8 Ohm Crossovers, I think I will put them on 2 tweeters and leave out the center the way it is.
post #45 of 172 Old 01-25-2012, 09:15 PM

Im using Onkyo 5.1 receiver, I think its rated at 60 watt per channel.
I thought getting class D 4 channel 100 watt DIY amp should fix my sound quality issues.
I listened to vinyl ripped Depeche Mode (24 bit 96khz FLAC) and it just blew me away. But regular mp3s sound horrible, lack of clarity just kills the experience. Mind you, I played Depeche in 5.1 mode.
The Onkyo I have doesnt have auto calibration, but I played extensively with it, strangely, I had to set the distance almost twice the actual to enjoy the sound.
I ordered 5 kHz High Pass 8 Ohm Crossovers, I think I will put them on 2 tweeters and leave out the center the way it is.
post #46 of 172 Old 01-26-2012, 07:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by serp07 View Post

Im using Onkyo 5.1 receiver, I think its rated at 60 watt per channel.
I thought getting class D 4 channel 100 watt DIY amp should fix my sound quality issues.

I couldn't find the review you are talking about that recommended a high pass crossover. I know the speakers already have crossovers built in, I took some pictures of the inside of the speakers and will post them in a minute. I set my receiver to stereo for all my music and I've only listened to music bought from iTunes and CDs and it all sounds really good. In fact my wife played a Selena Gomez song on my stereo and I wanted to tell her it was terrible but it sounded so good on my setup I just didn't say anything.
post #47 of 172 Old 01-27-2012, 05:45 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Here's a couple pics I took when I opened it up to see what was going on inside.
LL
LL
post #48 of 172 Old 02-01-2012, 09:21 PM

Appreciate the info and the pictures.
The review that I mentioned earlier is here
Its for BIC Formula FH6-LCR which also uses 6-1/2" Injection-molded woofers
and horn loaded tweeter.
I have to mention that it hasnt been 2 weeks since I got the speaker, it's still not fully broken in.
post #49 of 172 Old 02-12-2012, 09:45 PM

Liked: 14
I am seriously considering getting this speaker along with the BIC H-100 sub for an amazing deal for $399 from Amazon. I think it is a steal but I would like to know if there are any others out there that can confirm that this speaker is worth it? Coupled with that sub and a Pioneer VSX-1021-K receiver, I think it wold be great. Would it be worth it to also add a 6th and 7th speaker for the surrounds? What speaker wold go well with this set up?

I am debating to go this cheaper route, or get two Mirage OMD5's and a OMD-C1 instead. The cost of those 3 speakers and that BIC sub wold be about $920, as opposed to just $400 for this BIC speaker bar and same sub. Is is worth the extra $520 to go with the Mirage MD set up instead? I have the MD set up in my bedroom and love it, but don't want to spend the money if I don't have to or if it isn't just worth it. If this BIC bar is that good with a strong amp, I may just get it.
Any help wold be greatly appreciated guys.
post #50 of 172 Old 02-13-2012, 11:47 AM

Check that. I'm getting the BIC PL200 sub and not the H100. Have an offer for both the FH-56 and PL200 for $389 shipped!!! Amazing deal. Can't beat it.
post #51 of 172 Old 02-15-2012, 09:38 PM

Anybody with some help?

Thanks
post #52 of 172 Old 02-15-2012, 11:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNYC View Post

Check that. I'm getting the BIC PL200 sub and not the H100. Have an offer for both the FH-56 and PL200 for $389 shipped!!! Amazing deal. Can't beat it.

Where can this deal be found?
post #53 of 172 Old 02-16-2012, 08:07 PM

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustech-BIC-.../dp/B003LRSDQC

Just email Mike Embers from acoustic sound design and ask him to replace the shown H100 sub for the PL200. He quoted me $389 for the FH-56 AND the PL200 combined and shipped to my door free!!! That is the steal of a lifetime!

I'm about to make my order tomorrow.

Good luck,
Pete
post #54 of 172 Old 02-17-2012, 11:59 AM

Thanks for the info. Please share your thoughts after install.
post #55 of 172 Old 02-19-2012, 11:32 PM

Anybody with anymore FH-56 reviews???
post #56 of 172 Old 02-25-2012, 08:30 PM

PeteNYC, thanks for the info. Emailed and got the same 389 deal for the fh56 and pl200. Emailed last night at 9:30 and received a reply 15 minutes later. How's that for service?

Gonna use with an onkyo tx609. Using an onkyo htib lr/sr and an Atlantic Technology 1200 center. Will try the fh56 by itself first. If I need separate surrounds, will probably go with Bic pl-66s and use the other 2 channels of the 7.1 on the fh56.

I'll post my experience when I get it.

George
post #57 of 172 Old 02-26-2012, 11:23 AM

Sounds good! Glad to be of help. That is as good of a deal as it gets. I asked Mike Embers if he can switch the two subs and he said Ok. I just had my nephew pick up the same deal too. Let me know how it sounds out of the gate, but as you know, will sound better and better as the speaker breaks in.

Good luck!
Pete
post #58 of 172 Old 02-28-2012, 05:37 PM

It'll be awhile before I order. I called to ask a couple of questions about the soundbar vs a couple of other systems.

They got huffy when I asked "subjective" questions about the tweeter characteristics.

Told me to search the site and call them when I decide. Then hung up.

I guess they were busy with orders, but it rubbed me the wrong way. I'll have to give it some time before I'm ready to do business with them.

I could just be interpreting their being busy with something else.

Oh well, my money spends elsewhere just as well.

Might save up for the Atlantic Technologies H-Pas soundbar coming out this summer.

George
post #59 of 172 Old 03-01-2012, 03:36 PM

For whatever it's worth, my nephew just picked up that set-up, and he loves it. Keep business as business and even though I agree with you about your annoyance with them, don't take it personal. Fact is you'd be getting a great deal for great items and since this is a business transaction, nothing else matters. Even though I agree with you that it is unprofessional.
post #60 of 172 Old 03-23-2012, 11:07 PM

Just to assure people in doubt about this combo, its the best money to sound combo (FH56, Acoustech H100) now. Honestly, just look at similar product and compare the specs, this one is hard to beat. I offered them 350 on eBay and it went through, but even for 399 its a steal, especially if you get PL200.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page