The Official BIC America Formula FH56-BAR Owners Thread - Page 3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 172 Old 04-09-2012, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I am still looking for more info on this soundbar. From a basic "sound quality" stand point, how does it stack up to the competition? (it will be for my master bedroom)

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 172 Old 04-09-2012, 06:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jrunr View Post

I am still looking for more info on this soundbar. From a basic "sound quality" stand point, how does it stack up to the competition? (it will be for my master bedroom)

Thanks.

There is no competition for this sound bar, it's not a toy like most of the sound bars talked about on this forum and it's an amazing price. The only drawback is the size compared to others but if you can fit it then you will be more than happy.
post #63 of 172 Old 04-10-2012, 04:39 AM

Liked: 10
To Serp07 - Hi, can you share the name of the stand you have this speaker on over your set? I would love to get this, but am afraid the wall I was going to mount it on won't support its weight, 37 lbs? Can anyone else suggest a stand that can be placed over the set for this beast? Thanks for any help!
post #64 of 172 Old 04-14-2012, 03:44 AM

What's the cheapest receiver that would drive this speaker and sub combo decently? Maybe a Pioneer VSX-821-K?
post #65 of 172 Old 04-14-2012, 07:09 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smidget View Post

What's the cheapest receiver that would drive this speaker and sub combo decently? Maybe a Pioneer VSX-821-K?

That's what I would get. Newegg has it for $159.99 shipped right now w/ promo code EMCNFJH22.
post #66 of 172 Old 04-21-2012, 07:04 PM

I was not initially impressed with the sound quality of this soundbar but later realized that the WD media player that I used was outputting only in 2.0
So I decided to fix that and built an HTPC based on Foxconn a88gmv AMD chipset, 7.1 Realtek ALC 892 audio and Radeon HD5450 which turned out to be quite compact, smaller than my receiver.
Well, I have to admit that now my sound is where I want it to be.
Its much more crispier, very much on par with Energy I previously owned.
Even the lower bit streams from Pandora sound great.
And I can't say enough about the soundstage of this speaker - its simply amazing.
post #67 of 172 Old 04-21-2012, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidjedi View Post

To Serp07 - Hi, can you share the name of the stand you have this speaker on over your set? I would love to get this, but am afraid the wall I was going to mount it on won't support its weight, 37 lbs? Can anyone else suggest a stand that can be placed over the set for this beast? Thanks for any help!

Found one on local craigslist, there are plenty on Amazon
Its a STC Space Saver TV and VCR/DVD Combo Mount and can handle up to 130 lbs. I used the top tray only and had to spray paint black.

post #68 of 172 Old 04-21-2012, 08:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Where did you buy the wiring or did you sleeve it yourself?

I recently purchased an Energy Elite Bar and im not happy at all with it. Pretty poor music playback and movies with bass are just not there. So its going back. I like the soundbar concept, just think I want something that I can control the settings and has decent bass. Was planning on returning the Energy bar and getting Pioneer SVX 40 (receiver) BIC PL-200 (sub) and a pair of B&W 686 bookshelf speakers. But I think Ill can save about $400 by not getting the B&W speakers and going with the Formula FH56 bar and PL-200 deal on Amazon or Ebay. Already send than an email. Hope the soundbar sounds better running it through a receiver and not through the tv. Very new to all this.
post #69 of 172 Old 04-27-2012, 03:18 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CtrlAltElite View Post

Where did you buy the wiring or did you sleeve it yourself?

Did it myself with heat shrink tube and wire from MonoPrice.
post #70 of 172 Old 05-01-2012, 04:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteNYC View Post

http://www.amazon.com/Acoustech-BIC-.../dp/B003LRSDQC

Just email Mike Embers from acoustic sound design and ask him to replace the shown H100 sub for the PL200. He quoted me $389 for the FH-56 AND the PL200 combined and shipped to my door free!!! That is the steal of a lifetime!

I'm about to make my order tomorrow.

Good luck,
Pete

Is this the same guy? Seems like that combo is listed for $489 now

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Su...sr=1-1-catcorr
post #71 of 172 Old 05-09-2012, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_hp? View Post

Is this the same guy? Seems like that combo is listed for $489 now

http://www.amazon.com/BIC-America-Su...sr=1-1-catcorr

Just emailed Mike, price has gone up, but he still offered a pretty good discount. Fast response too, ordered mine just now
post #72 of 172 Old 05-19-2012, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by got_hp? View Post

Just emailed Mike, price has gone up, but he still offered a pretty good discount. Fast response too, ordered mine just now

Just got mine a few days ago... fast shipping and great deal, definitely recommended!

So far havent really cranked it up too loud (I live in a condo building), but even down low it sounds pretty darn good for a budget setup. I am downgrading from a much larger tower 5.1 setup plus dual 15 subs, as I'm not in a house anymore.
post #73 of 172 Old 05-23-2012, 10:46 AM

So I am looking to buy a soundbar / sub combo and stumbled across this thread. I am pretty much decided on picking up the H-100/PL-200 and FH56 combo and was wondering if any of you guys could give some insight into the differences between the two and whether it is worth the $80 difference in price.

A little background on myself, I am just now learning as much as I can about home audio in order to try to make an informed decision. Since I do not have much experience, I do not have a very descerning ear to distinguish subtle differences between products and I live in a condo, so the difference in wattage ratings probably will not be too much of a factor (expecially due to the diminishing returns of each watt of power.

That being said, the only differences I have read about have been on paper (22Hz vs 24Hz, power ratings, etc). With my relatively naive view, would any of you think that there is a noticible difference in performance between the two subs?

There was one thread that addressed this question two years ago, and I am hoping that there will be more of a definitive answer now that more time has passed.

Thanks in advance for your help,

TheChad
post #74 of 172 Old 06-01-2012, 09:14 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 12
I wonder how this soundbar will stack up against the much more expensive Atlantic Technology Soundbar. It is nice to see these things with real speakers in them that arent 2-3" midrange drivers!

Here is the link to the Atlantic Tech: http://www.soundadvice.com/Free-Ship...ock-P3527.aspx

It was this thread that got me thinking: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...tic+technology
post #75 of 172 Old 06-08-2012, 01:15 PM

JVC BA1 / Sony CT550W vs. BIC FH-56 Opinions & Advice Wanted!

Hi everyone!

I am coming back to AVS to get help again since my last purchase (6+ years ago!!). I currently have the following 5.1 sound system:

Onkyo TX-SR604 (specs here: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR604&class=Receiver&p=f)
BIC Acoustec H100 Subwoofer
Velodyne Front Row 5 piece speaker set

Wife and I bought a new home and now she does not want any of the velodyne speakers put up (appearance factor...doh!). To appease her, I am going to go with a soundbar option instead (and I personally do want want to run all that wiring myself throughout the room). I was going to go with either the JVC TH-BA1 (convinced by all of Davyo's posts and comments) or the Sony CT550W (for HDMI connections) and sell off all of my 5.1 equipment (probably as 1 complete system).

Now I find this soundbar and am beginning to question all my previous research I have done and wondering if my current system will work as good as or even better. Please help me with my questions:

1) Based on my Onkyo specs, I believe I gain more video coding options with the JVC/Sony option than with the Onkyo receiver. Am I correct about this?
2) Sound wise, will my receiver and BIC soundbar/ Wired Subwoofer be better than JVC/Sony with wireless subwoofer? (I know room design/layout plays a HUGE part of this, but overall opinions would be welcomed!)
3) When watching HD tv or movies, is dialogue clear and crisp or muted due to the sound stage created? (I have ready posts about how this is an issue for some people with the JVC / Sony systems)
4) Does this bar work better being below ear level or at / above ear level? ( I ask this question due to the size of it. Mounting 37lbs above my tv (above ear level) is not something I look forward to doing versus putting it below the tv on a console (at or below ear level).

I hope I have not asked too much from everyone here. I have read and researched just enough to make me "think" I am an expert at all of this ( I am the first to admit that I am NOT!). At the end of the the day, as long as my wife is convinced I am , then I am good to go.

thanks for all of your help everyone. It is grealy appreciated!

Regards,

Eric
post #76 of 172 Old 07-03-2012, 07:34 AM

Anyone listen to the other bic soundbar SED-BAR? It's listed on amazon, but not on the bic america website.
post #77 of 172 Old 07-24-2012, 04:28 PM

I am having a hard time deciding whether to get the BIC FH-56 BAR or the Pinnacle BAR NONE SF950. Both looks pretty well made.

The downside of the BIC is the size while the Pinnacle only has a frequency response of +/-3db of 100Hz.

Anybody has experience with both soundbars?

Any inputs is appreciated.
post #78 of 172 Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 AM

anyone?
post #79 of 172 Old 08-02-2012, 04:17 PM

Got myself a Wharfedale LCR instead. My best purchase ever.

Wharfedale-Diamond-10LCR-bla-500x500.jpg
post #80 of 172 Old 08-16-2012, 07:41 PM

the pinnacle is only a LCR speaker. the bic is all 5 channels, though it could be used as just a LCR speaker. I have not heard either, but on paper the bic looks better. bigger drivers, lower freq response, 5 channel input,etc. plus it cheaper than the pinnacle. in the coming months i plan getting the bic and pl200 combo.
post #81 of 172 Old 09-21-2012, 10:31 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by ebradford View Post

JVC BA1 / Sony CT550W vs. BIC FH-56 Opinions & Advice Wanted!
Hi everyone!
I am coming back to AVS to get help again since my last purchase (6+ years ago!!). I currently have the following 5.1 sound system:
Onkyo TX-SR604 (specs here: http://www.us.onkyo.com/model.cfm?m=TX-SR604&class=Receiver&p=f)
BIC Acoustec H100 Subwoofer
Velodyne Front Row 5 piece speaker set
Wife and I bought a new home and now she does not want any of the velodyne speakers put up (appearance factor...doh!). To appease her, I am going to go with a soundbar option instead (and I personally do want want to run all that wiring myself throughout the room). I was going to go with either the JVC TH-BA1 (convinced by all of Davyo's posts and comments) or the Sony CT550W (for HDMI connections) and sell off all of my 5.1 equipment (probably as 1 complete system).
Now I find this soundbar and am beginning to question all my previous research I have done and wondering if my current system will work as good as or even better. Please help me with my questions:
1) Based on my Onkyo specs, I believe I gain more video coding options with the JVC/Sony option than with the Onkyo receiver. Am I correct about this?
2) Sound wise, will my receiver and BIC soundbar/ Wired Subwoofer be better than JVC/Sony with wireless subwoofer? (I know room design/layout plays a HUGE part of this, but overall opinions would be welcomed!)
3) When watching HD tv or movies, is dialogue clear and crisp or muted due to the sound stage created? (I have ready posts about how this is an issue for some people with the JVC / Sony systems)
4) Does this bar work better being below ear level or at / above ear level? ( I ask this question due to the size of it. Mounting 37lbs above my tv (above ear level) is not something I look forward to doing versus putting it below the tv on a console (at or below ear level).
I hope I have not asked too much from everyone here. I have read and researched just enough to make me "think" I am an expert at all of this ( I am the first to admit that I am NOT!). At the end of the the day, as long as my wife is convinced I am , then I am good to go.
thanks for all of your help everyone. It is grealy appreciated!
Regards,
Eric

So what did you end up doing?
post #82 of 172 Old 09-29-2012, 11:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Just ordered mine, can't wait to try it out!
Bit worried the 100 or 200 is too much for this room. Will try out the bar first.
post #83 of 172 Old 10-13-2012, 03:27 PM
AVS Special Member

post #84 of 172 Old 10-22-2012, 10:17 AM
AVS Special Member

For a blind buy, never hearing a sound bar before, thanks for pointing me to this Droid. Very happy and got my setup kicking!
post #85 of 172 Old 12-05-2012, 03:04 PM

Updated look of my setup

post #86 of 172 Old 12-06-2012, 05:04 AM
AVS Special Member

post #87 of 172 Old 12-07-2012, 10:26 PM

I keep covers on all the time. Photo looks better without, I think.
post #88 of 172 Old 12-07-2012, 10:39 PM

Its been a year since I got FH65 and H-100 sub, and I haven't looked back since.
I m sure there are better set ups out there, and in no way this bar will substitute floor standing or shelf speakers w/rear channels.
Still, as far as the sound bars go, FH-56 is in its own category.
post #89 of 172 Old 12-10-2012, 05:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Ok just had to ask. Yes for what it does its amazing. Very happy with it.
post #90 of 172 Old 12-17-2012, 02:40 PM

Hi,
I am new to the forum and I am about to do my first htpc setup for my family room. What receiver would go with this lcr speaker?
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page