AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Quote:
Originally Posted by HungHoang View Post

Hi,
I am new to the forum and I am about to do my first htpc setup for my family room. What receiver would go with this lcr speaker?

This isn't an LCR speaker. It's a 5-channel speaker that can be used as a LCR speaker. I would just get whatever 5.1 receiver is in your budget. Here are the newest 5.1 models from some of the best manufacturers that make budget models:

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-522-K-5-Channel-Receiver-iPhone/dp/B007L8Q75G/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1355794261&sr=8-3&keywords=pioneer+vsx-822-k

http://www.amazon.com/Pioneer-VSX-822-K-5-Channel-Receiver-Network/dp/B007O5ATM8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355794384&sr=8-1&keywords=pioneer+vsx-822-k

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-SR313-5-1-Channel-Theater-Receiver/dp/B0077V8930/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355794520&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+tx-sr313

http://www.amazon.com/Onkyo-TX-NR414-5-1-Channel-Network-Receiver/dp/B0077V88YU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1355794553&sr=8-1&keywords=onkyo+tx-nr414

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V371BL-5-1-Channel-Receiver/dp/B004QQXDVC/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1355794702&sr=8-2&keywords=yamaha+rx-371

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-RX-V373-5-1-Channel-AV-Receiver/dp/B007JF8FD8/ref=sr_1_1?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355794726&sr=1-1&keywords=yamaha+rx-373

http://www.amazon.com/Denon-AVR-1513-Channel-Through-Receiver/dp/B007R8U5VM/ref=sr_1_2?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1355794802&sr=1-2&keywords=denon+avr-1312

Just look for one that has the features you need.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 172 Old 12-24-2012, 05:19 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by HungHoang View Post

Hi,
I am new to the forum and I am about to do my first htpc setup for my family room. What receiver would go with this lcr speaker?

HI was out for a bit. Any 5.1 or 7.1 will do fine. I am using my old Sony 7.1 in a 5.1 configuration with it. Almost any will do.
post #93 of 172 Old 01-01-2013, 05:15 PM

Liked: 10
I just read all 4 pages of the thread and didn't see anyone trying a 6.1 set up. Sorry if I missed it. Anyone try this yet?
post #94 of 172 Old 01-21-2013, 09:46 PM

I have a BIC Acoustech 5.1 setup that the wife will not allow in our family room (funny how this is a recurring theme!). I've been trying to find a soundbar option that I liked without having to spend $1000. I thought I was settled on the Sony CT550W until I stumbled across this thread.

I already have the H100 sub. I would just need to get a newer receiver to accommodate all my HDMI connections.

I'm a little surprised this soundbar hasn't receive more attention, and that makes me nervous. Overall, are the few people that bought this happy with it? I need something loud that sounds really good. The cheap Sony soundbars just won't cut it.

Also - a receiver won't fit in my cabinet, so I'm going to have to store it away next to it. Are there IR extenders that would allow me to control the receiver without being able to point directly at it?

Do you need a receiver with a built in amplifier to run this, or is one without an amp sufficient?
post #95 of 172 Old 01-23-2013, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bgstewar View Post

I'm a little surprised this soundbar hasn't receive more attention, and that makes me nervous. Overall, are the few people that bought this happy with it? I need something loud that sounds really good. The cheap Sony soundbars just won't cut it.

I think the reason this soundbar doesn't get as much attention is because other soundbars are more all in one solutions. I have a Sony soundbar also and it's essentially TV speakers with a crappy sub. I don't understand all the raving about them that goes on here, they suck. This soundbar does an amazing job of filling a room with sound so don't be nervous.
Quote:

Also - a receiver won't fit in my cabinet, so I'm going to have to store it away next to it. Are there IR extenders that would allow me to control the receiver without being able to point directly at it?

Yeah there are IR extenders that will definitely do that, just Google "IR Extender" and do a little research. I've never used one personally so I don't want to recommend one and it ends up sucking.
Quote:

Do you need a receiver with a built in amplifier to run this, or is one without an amp sufficient?

You absolutely need a powered amp for this soundbar. Nothing fancy, just try to get ahold of the cheapest one that has the features you want and the most power for the money.
post #96 of 172 Old 01-23-2013, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

You absolutely need a powered amp for this soundbar. Nothing fancy, just try to get ahold of the cheapest one that has the features you want and the most power for the money.

Thanks for the advice! I was looking at the Yamaha v471. 105 watts per channel. It doesn't have a "dedicated amp" with each channel per se (like Denon), but this receiver powers much more powerful 5.1 setups so I don't see why it'd be a problem.

I'm glad to hear you're still happy with it. I can't figure out why people like Sony (or any other) soundbars either. I guess people are simple and want something easy. But being how cheap this is, this is a far better solution for those of us that actually appreciate good AQ!
post #97 of 172 Old 01-27-2013, 05:30 PM

Can you EQ this thing using Audyssey, etc? Or does it not work since it's not a true 5.1 speaker set?

And how far do the banana plugs stick out on the back of the unit? I'm interested in wall mounting this beast, but curious to know if using banana plugs prevents it from mounting flush on the wall.

Also curious to know what receivers everyone has paired with this speaker. I'm torn between several: HK 1700, Yamaha v473, Denon 1613.
post #98 of 172 Old 01-30-2013, 04:40 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Can you EQ this thing using Audyssey, etc? Or does it not work since it's not a true 5.1 speaker set?

And how far do the banana plugs stick out on the back of the unit? I'm interested in wall mounting this beast, but curious to know if using banana plugs prevents it from mounting flush on the wall.

Also curious to know what receivers everyone has paired with this speaker. I'm torn between several: HK 1700, Yamaha v473, Denon 1613.

Yes you can EQ it just like normal speakers and I recommend that you do. If you're going to hang it you probably won't be able to use banana plugs. I have the Yamaha RX-V371.
post #99 of 172 Old 02-01-2013, 07:18 AM

Liked: 0
This thread has been very informative, so thank you all for putting this information out there. I have a young son, and I have to downgrade my home theater as a result. I think I am going to pull the trigger and pick this speaker bar up.

I did have question that y'all may be able to give me guidance on. I'm looking at the svs sb-1000 as opposed to the pl-200 because of the smaller physical form factor. Would this be a better match-up, or would it be better to save money and go with the pl-200?

I would be pairing this with my pioneer vsx-1122-k receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
post #100 of 172 Old 02-03-2013, 06:27 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstanaland View Post

This thread has been very informative, so thank you all for putting this information out there. I have a young son, and I have to downgrade my home theater as a result. I think I am going to pull the trigger and pick this speaker bar up.

I did have question that y'all may be able to give me guidance on. I'm looking at the svs sb-1000 as opposed to the pl-200 because of the smaller physical form factor. Would this be a better match-up, or would it be better to save money and go with the pl-200?

I would be pairing this with my pioneer vsx-1122-k receiver. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

I went with the F-12 because it's in the Formula series just like the sound bar and my OCD likes my components to match and I'm really happy with it but you can't go wrong with a nice SVS sub either.
post #101 of 172 Old 02-03-2013, 08:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by edstanaland View Post

In that same respect, I currently have the BIC H100 sub. Would I benefit greatly from upgrading to the PL-200? Decisions, decisions...
post #102 of 172 Old 02-04-2013, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

In that same respect, I currently have the BIC H100 sub. Would I benefit greatly from upgrading to the PL-200? Decisions, decisions...

That's tough to say. I would hold of on a sub upgrade in that case and get the soundbar and your current sub setup and see how you feel.
post #103 of 172 Old 02-04-2013, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

That's tough to say. I would hold of on a sub upgrade in that case and get the soundbar and your current sub setup and see how you feel.

Thanks a TON for all the guidance! I just placed my order for the soundbar - can't wait! Will post pics and a review once it's been set up.

BTW, got the HK 1700 receiver (couldn't pass up $199 for that thing). Think it's going to be amazing!
post #104 of 172 Old 02-06-2013, 09:10 AM

My FH-56 will be here Monday smile.gif

What does everyone have their sub crossovers set at? What can this speaker handle on the low end? I'm using the BIC H-100.
post #105 of 172 Old 02-07-2013, 02:40 PM

Stupid question - my wife has had a change of heart and will now allow me to have my full standing BIC towers and center with my H100 sub (but no surrounds).

What would be the better option - this sound bar or a 3.1 full sized setup? We mainly watch TV/movies.

If it's not the soundbar, now I'm going to have a soundbar in case anyone wants to buy it wink.gif I'm sure return shipping would cost a fortune...
post #106 of 172 Old 02-12-2013, 08:39 PM

Well, I just got this thing hooked up. I am totally blown away!

I downgraded from a 5.1 BIC Acoustech setup because my wife just couldn't understand why we needed so many speakers to watch movies. So after a LOT of fighting, we compromised. Sadly, my 5 BIC speakers are now collecting dust in the basement. But I digress...

This speaker is a monster. I knew the size beforehand, but was still taken aback by how large it is. It's not the world's most attractive speaker (I wish it was glossy like my other BICs instead of the matte finish), but it fits in nicely with our decor.

The sound from this soundbar is totally unbelievable. I'm comparing this to our Sony HTCT100 soundbar, and it's not even in the same league. With the Sony, I never could hear dialogue clearly and the subwoofer was a complete joke. With this (paired with my BIC H100), it sounds a million times better.

Dialogue is crystal clear, and the soundstage is incredible. Honestly, this rivals my 5.1 setup I just put in the basement. Sure, it doesn't replicate full surround sound like that did. But for a soundbar, this is in its own league.

I demoed a Klipsch SB1 soundbar and sub, and I thought that sounded amazing. For $500. This, paired with the H100 and my HK 1700 receiver completely blows it out of the water. And this whole setup costs me $450 (I already had the H100).

I literally can't believe I put up with our crappy Sony soundbar for so long. And I can't believe more people settle for run of the mill soundbars when this BIC exists in the world. If they heard it, there's no way they would choose anything else.

I demoed the unit with the newest Rambo movie (the end, where he blows everyone up). It was unreal. And it got LOUD, and never distorted.

One question - my auto EQ on my receiver set the crossovers to 80 hz on all speakers, including the sub. Is that where it is supposed to be?

Here are some cell phone pics of my setup:

post #107 of 172 Old 02-13-2013, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Yeah, 80hz is a good crossover point. Welcome to the club! I was saying all the same things when I got mine. I could never live with one of those plastic soundbar setups ever again!
post #108 of 172 Old 02-13-2013, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuckledump View Post

I just read all 4 pages of the thread and didn't see anyone trying a 6.1 set up. Sorry if I missed it. Anyone try this yet?

I'm also wondering this...doing the fh-56 and f12 combination and wondering if i should get another bar for the rear or just go with the pl-66's ..any thoughts?
post #109 of 172 Old 02-13-2013, 12:50 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cnavas41807 View Post

I'm also wondering this...doing the fh-56 and f12 combination and wondering if i should get another bar for the rear or just go with the pl-66's ..any thoughts?

I would just run the 6.1 receiver at 5.1. I thought about doing 7.1 with front highs with my old receiver but decided the bar was more than sufficient by itself.
post #110 of 172 Old 02-14-2013, 10:58 AM

Quote:

Well, I just got this thing hooked up. I am totally blown away!

I downgraded from a 5.1 BIC Acoustech setup because my wife just couldn't understand why we needed so many speakers to watch movies. So after a LOT of fighting, we compromised. Sadly, my 5 BIC speakers are now collecting dust in the basement. But I digress...

This speaker is a monster. I knew the size beforehand, but was still taken aback by how large it is. It's not the world's most attractive speaker (I wish it was glossy like my other BICs instead of the matte finish), but it fits in nicely with our decor.

The sound from this soundbar is totally unbelievable. I'm comparing this to our Sony HTCT100 soundbar, and it's not even in the same league. With the Sony, I never could hear dialogue clearly and the subwoofer was a complete joke. With this (paired with my BIC H100), it sounds a million times better.

Dialogue is crystal clear, and the soundstage is incredible. Honestly, this rivals my 5.1 setup I just put in the basement. Sure, it doesn't replicate full surround sound like that did. But for a soundbar, this is in its own league.

I demoed a Klipsch SB1 soundbar and sub, and I thought that sounded amazing. For $500. This, paired with the H100 and my HK 1700 receiver completely blows it out of the water. And this whole setup costs me $450 (I already had the H100).

I literally can't believe I put up with our crappy Sony soundbar for so long. And I can't believe more people settle for run of the mill soundbars when this BIC exists in the world. If they heard it, there's no way they would choose anything else.

I demoed the unit with the newest Rambo movie (the end, where he blows everyone up). It was unreal. And it got LOUD, and never distorted.

One question - my auto EQ on my receiver set the crossovers to 80 hz on all speakers, including the sub. Is that where it is supposed to be?

Here are some cell phone pics of my setup:

So you've owned the acoustech line up and still like this sound bar?...i was on the BIC thread and a guy went off on me for thinking about the fh56 saying they were gay and blah blah...its a great space saver ..i obviously realize it probably can't match a 3.1 setup from BIC/acoustech just wondering if it really can perform to take my mind off floor standing speakers..
post #111 of 172 Old 02-17-2013, 09:14 AM

I have been following this thread and I have really enjoyed reading the different impressions on this soundbar. I am seriously considering pulling the trigger on one of these and the PL-200 for my apartment once my tax return comes in. I was wondering if anyone could recommend a good receiver to power this combo with. Basic requirements would be 5.1(I think?) receiver with audyssey or an equivalent auto EQ feature, my apartment's living room is about 15 x 12. Looking to stay within a budget of $350 if I can.

Thanks!
post #112 of 172 Old 02-17-2013, 10:39 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

post #113 of 172 Old 02-22-2013, 07:52 AM

Based on postings in this forum, I took a chance and purchased the FH56 / PL200 package for our family room project. I have to say that it sounds amazing and totally exceeded my expectations! Because of the narrowness of the room, my wife didn't want left, right and center speakers scattered around, so I thought the FH56 would be a good choice. Turns out the narrow room enhances the soundstage from the speaker and really does give a convincing and wide image since the side-firing speakers have fairly close walls to bounce off of. The sub is also great - I used BIC VK-6C ceiling speakers for the rear surrounds and the entire setup really sounds fantastic. I can't recommend this package enough - spent around $500 for the whole thing delivered to my door!

Here is a photo of the install:

post #114 of 172 Old 02-22-2013, 04:26 PM

I pulled the trigger on the F56 / PL200 combo as well. Picked up a Denon AVR 1613 to power them from accessories4less. They should be here sometime monday. Glad to see another good impression of this system.
post #115 of 172 Old 02-26-2013, 01:02 PM

I am really impressed with this system, especially for the price! It took me two attempts using Audyssey to get it setup right. I was surprised at how big the soundbar actually is -- it just barely fit on my tv stand!

Here's a pic of my setup:

post #116 of 172 Old 02-27-2013, 08:17 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backwoods56 View Post

I was surprised at how big the soundbar actually is -- it just barely fit on my tv stand!

No matter how many times you read the dimensions or someone says it on here, I assume every person that buys one of these is going to have the same reaction when they first open the box, haha!
post #117 of 172 Old 02-28-2013, 06:49 AM

Guys are any of you in the UK and have you sourced an FH56?

Desperately looking through google with no luck.
post #118 of 172 Old 04-23-2013, 03:14 PM

Can anyone comment on the included wall mount? Does the wall mount allow the bar to swivel up and down? I am thinking of mounting the FH56 above my tv which sits above the fireplace. I would need to swivel the bar down at an angle since it will be up high on the wall.
post #119 of 172 Old 04-23-2013, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phidler View Post

Can anyone comment on the included wall mount? Does the wall mount allow the bar to swivel up and down? I am thinking of mounting the FH56 above my tv which sits above the fireplace. I would need to swivel the bar down at an angle since it will be up high on the wall.

They are just flat hooks, like on the back of a picture frame. I can't think of any way this would be able to angle down or swivel.
post #120 of 172 Old 04-23-2013, 07:25 PM

I just purchased this off Amazon and cannot find any clear pictures of the inputs, can I use banana plugs with this unit?

Nevermind I think I have my answer: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1355998/the-official-bic-america-formula-fh56-bar-owners-thread/90#post_22902952

You can use banana plugs however you most likely won't be able to wall mount; I will not be buying 5 more sets of banana plugs then.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page