The Official BIC America Formula FH56-BAR Owners Thread - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
1 2  3  ... Last
Soundbars > The Official BIC America Formula FH56-BAR Owners Thread
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 08:48 AM 08-24-2011
BIC America Formula FH56-BAR

Price (MSRP): $599/Each (Street Price ~$250)
Design: 625 wat 3 or 5 Discrete Channel Bar Speaker System with wall mounts
Frequency Response: 37Hz-23kHz
Sensitivity: 96dB @ 1 watt, 1 meter, high efficiency output to 116dB
Drivers:
(2) 6 1/2" injection molded woofers, (3) 6 1/2" mid/high frequency horns, (2) 4 1/4" side mounted surrounds.

Magnetic Shielding: YES
Gold-Plated Terminals:YES
Recommended Power: 10- 125 watts RMS per channel, 625 watts peak power
Impedance: 8 ohms
Dimensions: 8"H x 42"W x 6 1/2"D
Weight: 35 Pounds
Warranty: 5 Years Parts and Labor



Droid6's Avatar Droid6 08:53 AM 08-24-2011
So I made a leap of faith and ordered this sound bar. There seemed to be a hesitation for anyone to purchase this item because of the lack of any user input on the quality of this thing. I will post my impressions over the next week once I get everything setup and get some time to demo a wider range of material.
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 07:26 PM 08-24-2011
I ran the Audyssey setup on my receiver and now I have to say I'm extremely happy with this sound bar. I watched a little bit of A Scanner Darkly and listened to a few CDs and I have a little sense of what this sound bar can do. As far a surround goes, it doesn't simulate speakers directly to the side or anything amazing like that but it does manage to spread the soundstage out quite a bit. Instead of sounding like everything was coming at me from straight ahead (which truthfully is what I was half expecting) it sounded more like I had 5 speakers spread about 15' wide. Nothing sounded spacey or thin, just nice solid wide sound. I have it teamed up with a BIC F-12 which is an awesome sub but I left it unhooked for a bit of my listening to make sure it wasn't covering any holes in the FH56-BARs sound. Let me know if I can answer any questions and I'll do my best.
av addiction's Avatar av addiction 10:34 PM 08-25-2011
Thank You Droid6. I'm sure your review will help a lot of people looking for sound bar. Keep up the good work.
BTW, What type of AV receiver did you use for this sound bar?
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 08:18 AM 08-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by av addiction View Post

Thank You Droid6. I'm sure your review will help a lot of people looking for sound bar. Keep up the good work.
BTW, What type of AV receiver did you use for this sound bar?

You're welcome. I'm using an Onkyo HT-R680 7.1 receiver that came bundled in a HT in a box setup.
Radio81's Avatar Radio81 08:27 AM 09-01-2011
So this can be used as an LCR speaker? I already have rear speakers that I love, but wouldn't mind swapping out my LCR soundbar for something else.
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 10:41 AM 09-01-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

So this can be used as an LCR speaker? I already have rear speakers that I love, but wouldn't mind swapping out my LCR soundbar for something else.

Yes it can, you just hook up the LCR inputs. I would also like to point out that this sound bar is listed for use in a 6.1 setup (one in the front and one in the back) but it is pretty large to be hanging on the wall.
Radio81's Avatar Radio81 11:17 AM 09-01-2011
Nice. Could you possibly post a pic with the grill cover on? I can't seem to find any online. Also, how's the build quality?
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 05:34 PM 09-02-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Nice. Could you possibly post a pic with the grill cover on? I can't seem to find any online. Also, how's the build quality?

Yeah, I'll take a pic tomorrow. The build quality is great, no complaints. I love the "dry" sound of the horn tweeters, I think I'm a horn tweeter guy now!
guammer's Avatar guammer 09:25 AM 09-06-2011
Do you use this bar for everyday tv viewing as well as movies and music? Also, how have you mounted the bar?
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 10:10 AM 09-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by guammer View Post

Do you use this bar for everyday tv viewing as well as movies and music? Also, how have you mounted the bar?

I have it sitting on a smaller tv stand my wife bought from IKEA for $20 and it has mount holes on the back if you want to hang it. I use the soundbar for my projector and for listening to music but I wish I could have the same setup in my living room for everyday use.
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 10:12 AM 09-06-2011
Here's the sounbar with its cover and one of it sitting below my 92" screen and next to the BIC F-12.
LL
LL
LL
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 10:14 AM 09-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Here's the sounbar with its cover and one of it sitting below my 92" screen and next to the BIC F-12.

Sorry for the crappy phone pics but you get the point.
guammer's Avatar guammer 01:44 PM 09-06-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

Sorry for the crappy phone pics but you get the point.

Pics are fine. How does the bar sound for music? I see the instruments in the pic so I'm curious. Although this is a soundbar thread, how does the F12 pair with the bar for music.
sea21's Avatar sea21 04:03 PM 09-06-2011
Interested in buying this, mainly for movies. Can you speak about its dialogue clarity in movies etc? Seems its overall size with its cabinet would give it an edge over many of the skinny soundbars out there.
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 07:50 AM 09-07-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by guammer View Post

Pics are fine. How does the bar sound for music? I see the instruments in the pic so I'm curious. Although this is a soundbar thread, how does the F12 pair with the bar for music.

It does great for music, just as long as you run your receiver in stereo not a 5.1 up mix setting. The F-12 is an amazing sub with tight controlled bass and I can't believe it's only $200.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea21 View Post

Interested in buying this, mainly for movies. Can you speak about its dialogue clarity in movies etc? Seems its overall size with its cabinet would give it an edge over many of the skinny soundbars out there.

No complaints in the dialogue department. The size definitely gives an edge as it's a real wood speaker cabinet setup as the others are generally tweeters in a plastic shell.
sea21's Avatar sea21 04:22 PM 09-07-2011
Thanks for the info. This thing looks like quite a deal compared to similar soundbars like the Polk 50 all around $600 and up. Could you post a pic showing a close up of the back with its connections and mounting setup? Its bass capability is impressive from the specs on this thing as I probably won't be using a sub for a awhile, is that legit?
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 04:32 AM 09-08-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by sea21 View Post

Thanks for the info. This thing looks like quite a deal compared to similar soundbars like the Polk 50 all around $600 and up. Could you post a pic showing a close up of the back with its connections and mounting setup? Its bass capability is impressive from the specs on this thing as I probably won't be using a sub for a awhile, is that legit?

It does pretty well without a sub.
Radio81's Avatar Radio81 12:04 PM 09-08-2011
Honestly, this soundbar seems like one of the best options for the price. I do wish it was gloss black, but that can be overlooked.

I have the Pinnacle QP-9 soundbar. It's nice for movies. However, it's not the best for music with it's small drivers. The BIC seems like it would be much better for all-around use.

Thanks for the review and pictures.
Roger Dressler's Avatar Roger Dressler 12:22 AM 09-20-2011
Is there somewhere I can download the user manual? Can't find any support area at their website.
stevemartins's Avatar stevemartins 11:00 PM 09-28-2011
Thanks for starting this thread. I run an Acoustech setup downstairs and I was thinking about this for the bedroom. I am very happy with the Acoustechs and I would expect this to perform similarly.
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 10:09 AM 10-26-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Dressler View Post

Is there somewhere I can download the user manual? Can't find any support area at their website.

There's not much of a manual to it. Connect your receiver speaker outputs to the corresponding inputs on the speaker and you're done.
Radio81's Avatar Radio81 06:53 PM 11-14-2011
Droid6, are you still happy with this setup?
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 09:59 AM 11-16-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio81 View Post

Droid6, are you still happy with this setup?

I like it as much as the first day I got it. I love surround sound as much as anyone but it wouldn't work for my room and I'm super thankful I found this setup.
RedIvan's Avatar RedIvan 12:46 PM 11-22-2011
Hi - I posted this originally in its own thread, but have no responses. Maybe I'll do better here.

I am looking for advice. Here's my situation:

Recently flooded; I lost my TV, and speakers. I saved the receiver - an ONKYO TX SR504, and sub - Acoustech H100.

My room for TV will be oddly shaped. I have attached a rough drawing of the dimensions and tv placement.

Essentially I have an open space to the left, as you face the tv. It's impractical for me to place front speakers to the left and right. However, I do have an outlet for 2 speakers on the back wall of the viewing area.

So, I am considering using the BIC FH-56 for the LRC channels and using 2 separate speakers for the back.

Any opinions or suggestions or other approaches? If this sounds feasible, or good even. any thoughts on the 2 back speakers?
LL
Droid6's Avatar Droid6 07:03 PM 11-28-2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by RedIvan View Post

Hi - I posted this originally in its own thread, but have no responses. Maybe I'll do better here.

I am looking for advice. Here's my situation:

Recently flooded; I lost my TV, and speakers. I saved the receiver - an ONKYO TX SR504, and sub - Acoustech H100.

My room for TV will be oddly shaped. I have attached a rough drawing of the dimensions and tv placement.

Essentially I have an open space to the left, as you face the tv. It's impractical for me to place front speakers to the left and right. However, I do have an outlet for 2 speakers on the back wall of the viewing area.

So, I am considering using the BIC FH-56 for the LRC channels and using 2 separate speakers for the back.

Any opinions or suggestions or other approaches? If this sounds feasible, or good even. any thoughts on the 2 back speakers?

You can definitely use it as a LCR. I would recommend the FH-65B for surrounds as it has the same driver and horn as the FH-56BAR.
HRPretzel's Avatar HRPretzel 04:01 PM 11-29-2011
Thanks for the review on this as I didn't know it existed. I need to reduce my sound stage as I have a new baby. Getting rid of my Infinity P362 floor standing speakers (so they don't topple over and kill the kid), Infinity C350 center and my F12 sub (no bueno for sleeping babies). Replacing everything with this nice (on paper) BIC America Formula FH56-BAR which will fit on my entertainment center. I really like the fact that it has a frequency response down to 37Hz so I won't lose all my bass. Just ordered from Sears as I had a gift card to burn. I'll let you know what I think when it comes in.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sea21 View Post

Could you post a pic showing a close up of the back with its connections and mounting setup?

Best I could find online, also just noticed the speakers on the side that create the surround for rear channels.. very nice.


Droid6's Avatar Droid6 08:24 AM 11-30-2011


LL
LL
spamtron's Avatar spamtron 08:31 AM 12-12-2011
Considering this setup for the bedroom... I have some actual rears I could put with this, but does anyone know if this setup as LCR still incorporate all the speakers to make that nice wide front sound-stage, or do the two rears not being hooked up mean that it is just spread across the front panel leaving the two side 4"ers unused?
flickhtguru's Avatar flickhtguru 09:04 AM 12-13-2011
Correct if you hook it up as the front 3 speakers the side 4" are unused. Now what you could do is this. If you have a 7.1 receiver use your surround speakers as surround back speakers and connect your "side" surround out puts from your receiver to this sound bar. Essentially you would have 7.1 sound from 3 speakers and a sub.
1 2  3  ... Last

Up