connecting sound bar via optical cable - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 08-26-2011, 04:48 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
OK here's my situation. I just bought a Vizio Sound Bar for my room. I have a Samsung TV and a PS3 and I bought an optical cable.

Now, the sound bar has one optical input and my TV has one optical output. My main question is will I get a better sound on my playstation connecting the optical cable straight from the PS3 to the sound bar as opposed to connecting the sound bar to the TV via digital optical.

I care more about the sound of my PS3/blu ray player than I do for regular TV viewing, so, if I'll get a better sound connecting the sound bar to the PS3 I'll do that, and I can still connect the sound bar to the TV via regular cables. If it doesn't make a difference I'll just connect the TV to the sound bar with the digital optical cable.

Thanks for the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 08-27-2011, 06:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 272 Post(s)
Liked: 539
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThere86 View Post

OK here's my situation. I just bought a Vizio Sound Bar for my room. I have a Samsung TV and a PS3 and I bought an optical cable.

Now, the sound bar has one optical input and my TV has one optical output. My main question is will I get a better sound on my playstation connecting the optical cable straight from the PS3 to the sound bar as opposed to connecting the sound bar to the TV via digital optical.

I care more about the sound of my PS3/blu ray player than I do for regular TV viewing, so, if I'll get a better sound connecting the sound bar to the PS3 I'll do that, and I can still connect the sound bar to the TV via regular cables. If it doesn't make a difference I'll just connect the TV to the sound bar with the digital optical cable.

Thanks for the help

You are only going to get 2 channel out of the optical from the tv. If the PS3 sound is the most important connect that directly to your soundbar.

65VT60(Calibrated by Chad B)
55ST60(Calibrated by Chunon)
Darbee DVP5000
Sony BDV-F7 3dbluray/soundbar
Calman Enthusiast/I1Pro/I1D3
Dish Network with Hopper/Super Joey
Old 08-27-2011, 11:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HelloThere86 View Post

Is that a VSB200? If so, it only accepts 2 ch. PCM over optical so it will make no difference how you connect the PS3.