AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kypros Vasiliou View Post

Hello guys,

I've been a reader of the forum for a long time now, but since i need some advice i decided to "upgrade" and become a member.

I have a Panasovic Smart Viera P55VT60 and decided to buy a sound system to complement it and enjoy better sound.

I have it conncted to a PS3 for Blurays and on my server for streaming so i just need sound. 

I don't have cabling to install a surround system and i have a budget of $750. 

Should i go for a sound bar a 2.1 system with a decent amplifier?

Since i am a noob on the subject i would appreciate simple answers and some links to a review.

Thanks a lot.

Kypros

In theory, you would receive better sound from a GOOD 2.1 system. Of course this implies you have the room to the sides of your TV to place two speakers and make the proper connections to an AVR. The AVR is probably the least of your concerns going this way as there are numerous models from various manufacturers for under $ 300 that will all sound respectable (and unless there are serious design flaws, they will all sound the same). I will get hammered from some of the audio elite on that last comment. That leaves you a budget of $ 450 for speakers. The Andrew Jones bookshelf and preferably tower speakers from Pioneer would be an excellent choice. However, for best sound, these need to be set away from the rear and sidewalls. One meter or more is ideal, but a spacing of at least twelve inches is preferred.

You can get the overall sonic signature of the Andrew Jones seperates from Pioneer's SB23 speaker bar and make you life considerably less complicated (about $ 300) total. What you would be missing is the spaciousness of the two speakers. Very hard to do correctly from a speaker bar. For a more spacious sound, Vizio has a number of units that do a psuedo surround and less than $ 250 and are usually quite pleasing sonically accoring to most reviewers as well as owners.

David Freeman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #722 of 920 Old 01-13-2014, 01:16 PM

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCrackin View Post

Getting ready to get a new 65"+ samsung lcd for the new house.

The wife wants to replace the ysp4000 also, so i need some recommendations.

Budget under $900 for the soundbar.

For her it needs to "look" nicer than the ysp4000

I'm assuming your bride isn't fond of the YSP4k's relatively large height & depth?  At 7.6" & 5.7" respectively, it's significantly bulkier than most current bars. As far as pure looks go, the Sonos Playbar & Samsung HW-F750 get darn nearly universal praise for aesthetics and both are well within your price range.

Are you mounting it on the wall? One of my beefs with the soundbar market is there's hardly anything sized appropriately for a 65" TV. With most bars being 36-45" wide. 40-55" TV's are covered in spades, but what about 60"+? Sharp had stepped up with their 54" HT-SB60 a while ago. Gets praise for its soundstage (thanks to widely spaced right & left channels), but mixed reviews on quality. Vizio also just released a 54" bar (actually 54" not SIZED for a 54" TV as many manufacturers spec). At CES they announced a true 5.1 version of this wide bar. Personally I think a 54"+ bar looks better under a 58 or 59" wide 65" TV, especially when both are mounted to the wall. And it certainly sounds better when the left channel actually comes from left side of your TV rather than vaguely in the middle of it.  But both the last two are way under your budget, so they might not suit your tastes.

Your budget puts you in Polk, Klipsch, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, etc. territory. I would aim for a model that supports HDMI ARC with multiple HDMI inputs in order to help future-proof your system. Your Samsung like my Panny and most late model TV's downmix external sources to 2.0 PCM stereo. For example, if you plugged your Blu-Ray player to your TV & then TV to soundbar, it will only see a 2.0 stereo signal. To get 5.1 DD or DTS signals to soundbar, you need to connect sources directly to soundbar. And if it supports HDMI ARC, a single HDMI cable to TV is all you'll need between bar & TV.

If I were you, I'd consider boosting budget a tad to get Samsung HW-F850 (wider & better than 750 mentioned above) or the HK SB35. Happy hunting!

post #723 of 920 Old 01-13-2014, 03:22 PM

Liked: 10

Hey all,

Been reading the site for a while as my wife has requested that we do away with the speakers and go with something more streamlined so I was looking at getting a sound bar. I just sold my receiver and the TV speakers are already starting to great so I unfortunately don't want to wait too long and get one ordered asap!

I though about the YSP2200 but really I don't want to go over $400 this time round.

The two I am most interested in are:

Yamaha-YSP1400BL

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YSP1400BL-Digital-Sound-Projector/dp/B00EIF0E0Y/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389654330&sr=1-7&keywords=soundbar

And

Sony HT-CT660

I did look at the Vizio but after spending money on a hdmi splitter with a to slink out and speaker stands it comes in over budget so I would rather go with something that gives a depth of sound.

I previously just had a simple 2.0 set up with the receiver and two floor standing speakers as I was meant to build on it but now having to condense it instead!

Any help is much appreciated as I can't find any information on the Yamaha.

post #724 of 920 Old 01-13-2014, 03:35 PM

Hey all,

I am not sure if my last post worked as I posted it by accident and included an external link, apologies if this creates a double post.

I am looking to replace my 2 Floorstanding speakers and receiver with a side bar as my wife plans to use the space either side of the TV now and can't stand the sight of them.

I am looking into two different bars as a replacement as the Vizio 5.1 is out of budget and i am not sure the rears would get passed. So if a sound bar can create some nice depth in sound for music and movies that would be great. The two I was looking at are:

Sony HT-CT660

Yamaha-YSP1400BL

My budget is around $400, I will be connecting my PS4, possibly and Apple TV and a Wii U. My TV is a LM8600 so I take it I could maybe take the PS4 directly to the optical in and then get the TV a optical to coaxial convertor so I could take everything else to the TV then back to the sound bar. Obviously the Sony does not have that issue which is why at the moment it is my preferred choice.

All opinions are appreciated.

post #725 of 920 Old 01-13-2014, 09:08 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Kypros,

I went the 2.1 route as I found better sound quality than any of the sound bars. But drfreeman is correct you do need the space to properly place or mount the speakers. With your budget there are plenty of options but you'll have two main types.

1. A receiver with speakers and sub. This could easily be done in your price range.

2. Powered speakers and sub. By the specs it looks like your TV only has a digital audio out. That is a little more limiting for this type of set up. The only system I can think of that would handle this is the Paradigm Milennia CT which is a very nice system BTW.
post #726 of 920 Old 01-13-2014, 09:10 PM

Gluedonbeard,

Between those two I would go with the Yamaha for sound quality. another option to consider in your price range is the Pioneer sound bar.
post #727 of 920 Old 01-13-2014, 10:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drfreeman60 View Post

In theory, you would receive better sound from a GOOD 2.1 system. Of course this implies you have the room to the sides of your TV to place two speakers and make the proper connections to an AVR. The AVR is probably the least of your concerns going this way as there are numerous models from various manufacturers for under $ 300 that will all sound respectable (and unless there are serious design flaws, they will all sound the same). I will get hammered from some of the audio elite on that last comment. That leaves you a budget of $ 450 for speakers. The Andrew Jones bookshelf and preferably tower speakers from Pioneer would be an excellent choice. However, for best sound, these need to be set away from the rear and sidewalls. One meter or more is ideal, but a spacing of at least twelve inches is preferred.

You can get the overall sonic signature of the Andrew Jones seperates from Pioneer's SB23 speaker bar and make you life considerably less complicated (about $ 300) total. What you would be missing is the spaciousness of the two speakers. Very hard to do correctly from a speaker bar. For a more spacious sound, Vizio has a number of units that do a psuedo surround and less than $ 250 and are usually quite pleasing sonically accoring to most reviewers as well as owners.

Thank you for your promt answer. It seems that i will have a problem with a 2.1 system. My TV is located in a corner of the room, so the right speaker will be around 18 inches from the rear and 4 inches from the side wall . The left is more flexible on the side. So i guess i will most likely benefit more from a sound bar than a system at this cinfiguration. Correct?
post #728 of 920 Old 01-14-2014, 04:05 AM

Liked: 11

Any thoughts on the Vizio SB4020E-B0 (http://amzn.com/B00BHAQ2KE)? We'll be picking up a 50" P series once they become available but I'd like to add a soundbar this time around. Been pleased with the Amazon verified purchase reviews but I'd like to see what folks here think? 

post #729 of 920 Old 01-14-2014, 11:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you for your promt answer. It seems that i will have a problem with a 2.1 system. My TV is located in a corner of the room, so the right speaker will be around 18 inches from the rear and 4 inches from the side wall . The left is more flexible on the side. So i guess i will most likely benefit more from a sound bar than a system at this cinfiguration. Correct?

Kypros - please excuse my arrogance. You can still get good sound from a 2.1 system mounting the speakers close to the wall. Moving them in and away from boundaries certainly helps the sound, especially those of us who at one time or another had the wonderful audio system that sounded as if an orchestra was wider than the room it was in and extended 6', 8' or 20' deeper than the rear wall. Due to a wonderful wife who sometimes needed to understand just why those big, ugly speakers (I thought they were rather lovely myself) needed to be sitting in the middle of her living room floor, the spent much more time 10" to 12" from that rear wall and were pulled into the room only on the occasion that one of us (me) or both of us wanted to listen to something seriously.

However, corner situations have issues of their own, which is why I have been searching for audio nirvana via either a sound bar or two extremely small speakers over the past seven years. While nirvana still eludes me, I have had very good results sonically from a Vizio Mr. El-Cheapo (I made that name up) sound bar from Wal-Mart at a wopping cost of $ 97. A big improvement when I purchased sight unseen a JVC TH-BA1 sound bar at $ 250. Still the second best I have tried. Also really good was a $ 160 Panasonic HTB-20 which is now used for music in my sun-room. This one can be used as either a one-piece sound bar or small R+L speakers with a woofer in between. With the unit set up in the R+L format and pulled out from the wall about 18", the sound is very spacious and gratifying.

My current sound bar for the family room, entertainment district is a Pioneer SB-23. Not a perfect creation, but really excellent and extended sound. As far as frequency response, almost amplifier like (+/- 4db) from about 45hz to above my audible capabilities (somewhere around 10khz per my last ear exam).

I still have about $ 2,000 of audio stored in various closets around the house. Maybe someday, I will decide to part with everything on eBay.

If I had the room and was working from a limited budget, I would probably go 2-channel with the Pioneer, Andrew Jones designed tower speakers. These speakers have very good output down to around 40hz. You would only get about an extra one-half octave of audio with most reasonably priced sub-woofers (that's 10hz in this example). And, in my experience, there is very little output from movies or most music below 45hz to 50hz.

And for any comments that a sub-woofer would make your system or your bass louder, if that is the case, you do not have your system set up correctly.

As info, here is what my corner system looks like.

Video_Cabinet_2013-10-15_009.JPG 429k .JPG file

The photo above shows the area that I had to work with including the custom cabinet, TV, sound bar , etc.

My advice is "Don't sweat it". There are lots of reasonable choices out there.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Video_Cabinet_2013-10-15_009.JPG (429.1 KB, 32 views)

David Freeman
post #730 of 920 Old 01-14-2014, 07:19 PM

Hi,

I just got a new Samsung 60 inch tv and wanted to get a better sound system. I've been looking at the Sonos soundbar plus the sub for around $1500. I live in a 800 sq ft apartment, so I do not need anything crazy. Would it be better to get 2 bookshelf speakers plus a sub along with a receiver or stick with the Sonos system? It is quite pricey and I think you could probably build a decent 2.1 system. Also, is the Sonos the best soundbar in the $1500 range? Thanks.
post #731 of 920 Old 01-14-2014, 07:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19342 View Post

I'm assuming your bride isn't fond of the YSP4k's relatively large height & depth?  At 7.6" & 5.7" respectively, it's significantly bulkier than most current bars. As far as pure looks go, the Sonos Playbar & Samsung HW-F750 get darn nearly universal praise for aesthetics and both are well within your price range.

Are you mounting it on the wall? One of my beefs with the soundbar market is there's hardly anything sized appropriately for a 65" TV. With most bars being 36-45" wide. 40-55" TV's are covered in spades, but what about 60"+? Sharp had stepped up with their 54" HT-SB60 a while ago. Gets praise for its soundstage (thanks to widely spaced right & left channels), but mixed reviews on quality. Vizio also just released a 54" bar (actually 54" not SIZED for a 54" TV as many manufacturers spec). At CES they announced a true 5.1 version of this wide bar. Personally I think a 54"+ bar looks better under a 58 or 59" wide 65" TV, especially when both are mounted to the wall. And it certainly sounds better when the left channel actually comes from left side of your TV rather than vaguely in the middle of it.  But both the last two are way under your budget, so they might not suit your tastes.

Your budget puts you in Polk, Klipsch, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, etc. territory. I would aim for a model that supports HDMI ARC with multiple HDMI inputs in order to help future-proof your system. Your Samsung like my Panny and most late model TV's downmix external sources to 2.0 PCM stereo. For example, if you plugged your Blu-Ray player to your TV & then TV to soundbar, it will only see a 2.0 stereo signal. To get 5.1 DD or DTS signals to soundbar, you need to connect sources directly to soundbar. And if it supports HDMI ARC, a single HDMI cable to TV is all you'll need between bar & TV.

If I were you, I'd consider boosting budget a tad to get Samsung HW-F850 (wider & better than 750 mentioned above) or the HK SB35. Happy hunting!

Jeff hit the nail right on the head!

Yes the LCD and Sound Bar will be wall mounted.

At this point I am considering the 54" vizio or the pioneer, she really likes the price point go figure.

She has to "see it" in person before we buy it, so i planned on taking her to Best Buy to look at a couple

What i have read about the vizio lack of low end and no matching sub readily available has me second guessing, i welcome the idea of a wireless sub that i can place next to the couch

I also am afraid i might get a pioneer with the dreaded issues, plus she might not like the look of the pioneer on top of it

The samsungs on the higher end, do they sound good? because the lower end ones didnt rate well at all with sound quality
post #732 of 920 Old 01-15-2014, 02:14 AM

Quote:

Kypros - please excuse my arrogance. You can still get good sound from a 2.1 system mounting the speakers close to the wall. Moving them in and away from boundaries certainly helps the sound, especially those of us who at one time or another had the wonderful audio system that sounded as if an orchestra was wider than the room it was in and extended 6', 8' or 20' deeper than the rear wall. Due to a wonderful wife who sometimes needed to understand just why those big, ugly speakers (I thought they were rather lovely myself) needed to be sitting in the middle of her living room floor, the spent much more time 10" to 12" from that rear wall and were pulled into the room only on the occasion that one of us (me) or both of us wanted to listen to something seriously.

However, corner situations have issues of their own, which is why I have been searching for audio nirvana via either a sound bar or two extremely small speakers over the past seven years. While nirvana still eludes me, I have had very good results sonically from a Vizio Mr. El-Cheapo (I made that name up) sound bar from Wal-Mart at a wopping cost of $ 97. A big improvement when I purchased sight unseen a JVC TH-BA1 sound bar at $ 250. Still the second best I have tried. Also really good was a $ 160 Panasonic HTB-20 which is now used for music in my sun-room. This one can be used as either a one-piece sound bar or small R+L speakers with a woofer in between. With the unit set up in the R+L format and pulled out from the wall about 18", the sound is very spacious and gratifying.

My current sound bar for the family room, entertainment district is a Pioneer SB-23. Not a perfect creation, but really excellent and extended sound. As far as frequency response, almost amplifier like (+/- 4db) from about 45hz to above my audible capabilities (somewhere around 10khz per my last ear exam).

I still have about $ 2,000 of audio stored in various closets around the house. Maybe someday, I will decide to part with everything on eBay.

If I had the room and was working from a limited budget, I would probably go 2-channel with the Pioneer, Andrew Jones designed tower speakers. These speakers have very good output down to around 40hz. You would only get about an extra one-half octave of audio with most reasonably priced sub-woofers (that's 10hz in this example). And, in my experience, there is very little output from movies or most music below 45hz to 50hz.

And for any comments that a sub-woofer would make your system or your bass louder, if that is the case, you do not have your system set up correctly.

As info, here is what my corner system looks like.

Video_Cabinet_2013-10-15_009.JPG 429k .JPG file

The photo above shows the area that I had to work with including the custom cabinet, TV, sound bar , etc.

My advice is "Don't sweat it". There are lots of reasonable choices out there.

Thank you drfreeman60. That was a very informing answer. Btw your Panny looks good with the Pioneer soundbar :) It made me wanna search them a bit more.

I will go check some and find one that i like the sound it makes. I'm not fond of big, bulky speakers in the middle of the living room.

In a few months i will have a small monster running in the house pushing and dropping everything.. And i guess he would love to mess with the speakers. :/

post #733 of 920 Old 01-15-2014, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ttlnb View Post

Gluedonbeard,

Between those two I would go with the Yamaha for sound quality. another option to consider in your price range is the Pioneer sound bar.

Thanks for the feedback, in the end I decided the Sony simply because of the HDMI inputs and therefore I don't have to rely on any other pieces of kit such as a HDMI or TOSLINK splitter. I'll post my impressions in the other thread.

Quote:

This is the exact setup I had, it is great for a cheap setup especially for music but I found it was lacking slightly in movies. Especially when it comes to dialogue with the lack of a center channel it becomes a case of turning up and down some content.

I am going from this to the Sony sound bar so it will be interesting to hear the difference. It should get delivered today.

post #734 of 920 Old 01-15-2014, 09:05 AM

Quote:

...The samsungs on the higher end, do they sound good? because the lower end ones didnt rate well at all with sound quality

I haven't personally heard the Samsung 750 or 850, but FWIW reviewers seem to like its sound. The 850 sports vacuum tubes rather than transistors to please audiophiles craving the "warmer" sound of tubes. 

I say "FWIW" because reviewers can be biased and regardless everyone's hearing is different, so you really should demo them all for yourself. Vizio & Pioneer are getting great reviews. Both are undeniably great values. Hard to argue with Pioneer's design and construction, especially at that price...I only wish it supported HDMI ARC (and you might too with a brand new TV).

Listen to the Vizio, because it may have plenty of bass for you. Honestly no sounbar's sub is going to shake your foundation and innards. If you love bass, the Sharp SB60's 150W sub is one of the more powerful wireless subs you'll find packaged with a soundbar.

post #735 of 920 Old 01-15-2014, 01:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GluedOnBeard View Post

Thanks for the feedback, in the end I decided the Sony simply because of the HDMI inputs and therefore I don't have to rely on any other pieces of kit such as a HDMI or TOSLINK splitter. I'll post my impressions in the other thread.

This is the exact setup I had, it is great for a cheap setup especially for music but I found it was lacking slightly in movies. Especially when it comes to dialogue with the lack of a center channel it becomes a case of turning up and down some content.

I am going from this to the Sony sound bar so it will be interesting to hear the difference. It should get delivered today.

Glue - on the 2-ch setup with the towers: Most receivers, even super cheap receivers, over the ability to tell the receiver your setup with the choice of creating a phantom center channel. If done correctly this is indistinguishable from a real center channel speaker to most users, unless the speakers are crazy far apart. With the phantom center channel, most receivers offer the ability to custom tailor the volume and other features to give you the same, sometimes more, control as if you did have the center speaker.

Anyway, I do know that this was a feature on receivers that I have owned from Pioneer and Onkyo and one that my son owns from Yamaha.

David Freeman
post #736 of 920 Old 01-15-2014, 01:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Thank you drfreeman60. That was a very informing answer. Btw your Panny looks good with the Pioneer soundbar smile.gif It made me wanna search them a bit more.
I will go check some and find one that i like the sound it makes. I'm not fond of big, bulky speakers in the middle of the living room.
In a few months i will have a small monster running in the house pushing and dropping everything.. And i guess he would love to mess with the speakers. :/

If you will have a little one, I would more than likely advise againt tower speakers as a safety issue. Even a 40# to 50# speaker could do considerable damage if it toppled over on an infant or more likely a toddler. I am always disturbed when I visit someone's home and see TV's sitting on bedroom or living room furniture unsecured. That just looks like an accident waiting to happen from these old eyes.

Of course when my son was small, I also had to worry about him pressing buttons on my Audio Research vacuum tube pre-amp or amplifier and seeing $ 250 worth of tubes suddenly going up in smoke. I had already decided to move to solid state, but this hastened the decision.

David Freeman
post #737 of 920 Old 01-15-2014, 03:06 PM

Quote:

Glue - on the 2-ch setup with the towers: Most receivers, even super cheap receivers, over the ability to tell the receiver your setup with the choice of creating a phantom center channel. If done correctly this is indistinguishable from a real center channel speaker to most users, unless the speakers are crazy far apart. With the phantom center channel, most receivers offer the ability to custom tailor the volume and other features to give you the same, sometimes more, control as if you did have the center speaker.

Anyway, I do know that this was a feature on receivers that I have owned from Pioneer and Onkyo and one that my son owns from Yamaha.

After seeing this and not being overly happy I have managed a compromise to keep the floor standing speakers now. (Once I removed them the place looked empty so I think that helped!)

I can't believe I didn't know about the Phantom Speaker feature, thanks for the advice. I am now going to have to pickup a receiver again. It is a shame as I sold my RX-V473 and now I only have a budget of around $200 for a new receiver.

post #738 of 920 Old 01-15-2014, 06:07 PM

Hello everyone,

This is my first post, so sorry if this topic has come up before. 

I am planning on purchasing a sound bar. My budget is from 100 to 150 bucks. So far I am liking this one: 
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CFEV1LQ/ref=ox_sc_act_title_2?ie=UTF8&psc=1&smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER

But I have two issues with it.

First: it is too big. The table where it's going to go is only 35 inches and this sound bar is 39 inches.

Second: it does not have an HDMI plug, only RCAs and Optical Audio. Actually, I can live without the HDMI. The RCAs and the optical are essential to me. But it'd be nice if it also had an HMDI. 

I would really appreciate if someone out there shared any info on a sound bar of similar characteristics that is a little smaller and that does have a HDMI plug on top of the RCAs and the optical.

Thanks a lot!

post #739 of 920 Old 01-15-2014, 08:21 PM

Quoted: 24 Post(s)
Quote:

Ok, I think I know what the problem is with my Andrew Jones Pioneer bar! I'm returning it to best buy. I've had it over a month and am not happy.

I have the Vizio 80" M series tv, and the factory tv speakers are surprisingly good, but just don't have a ton of volume. My tv has this "built in surround" that's turned on by default, and the only thing I don't like about the Pioneer is that it doesn't have some type of simulated "surround" to make the sound field "WIDER". When I have the sound bar on, it's a very narrow sound field left to right and I find myself having the leave the factory speakers "on" with the bar to widen it. I wish the bar had some type of surround to widen it. Anyone know what I mean?

Even the Sony bar, ranked #2, has a pseudo surround.

Now, the narrow sound field is one thing, but here's something else. I was watching the movie Elysium. There is a scene with dialog and it's raining out. With the Pioneer bar on, you can't hear the rain, at all. With my tv speakers with "surround mode" on, I can hear the rain and other background noises very clear. So, I'm actually losing sound with the Pioneer due to it not having some type of surround mode. (also, if I turn off the surround on the tv speakers, I can't hear the rain either, it must be on and I like hearing the details) I've never had a surround system with any tv, so this isn't biased. Thoughts?

80" Vizio LED - (60" Vizio plasma - retired)
Harmony 890 Remote
X10 Commander Iphone App = full control of lights, fireplace, pool, shades, from Iphone
X10 IR543 controller
Hunter Douglas motorized shades

post #740 of 920 Old 01-16-2014, 05:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19342 View Post

I haven't personally heard the Samsung 750 or 850, but FWIW reviewers seem to like its sound. The 850 sports vacuum tubes rather than transistors to please audiophiles craving the "warmer" sound of tubes. 

I say "FWIW" because reviewers can be biased and regardless everyone's hearing is different, so you really should demo them all for yourself. Vizio & Pioneer are getting great reviews. Both are undeniably great values. Hard to argue with Pioneer's design and construction, especially at that price...I only wish it supported HDMI ARC (and you might too with a brand new TV).

Listen to the Vizio, because it may have plenty of bass for you. Honestly no sounbar's sub is going to shake your foundation and innards. If you love bass, the Sharp SB60's 150W sub is one of the more powerful wireless subs you'll find packaged with a soundbar.

How many options are out there for the super wide sound bars?
post #741 of 920 Old 01-16-2014, 07:15 AM

Quote:

How many options are out there for the super wide sound bars?

Much to my chagrin, all I know of are the Sharp SB60 and Vizio S54 models. Both are 54" wide to match a 60" TV. Panasonic's 770 is configurable as 3 separates or a bolted together soundbar; in this mode, it's 48" wide.

Going higher end, the GoldenEar SuperCinema 3D Array gets rave reviews. Its bar is 49" wide. It's also $999 for bar alone, $500 for sub, $500 for rears, and is passive so it requires a receiver. Alas HiFi nirvana is expensive! The HK SB35 looks promising as one of the few bars from a reputable speaker company that sports HDMI ARC support (increasingly important with today's TVs & often necessary for true surround signals). Yamaha has long been ahead of the curve with HDMI ARC switching for years. Their flagship bar, TSP-5100 is 47.25" wide and uses a boat-load of processing to create a wide soundfield. 

Another popular, tempting mid-fi offering is the SONOS Playbar which is just under 36" but uses angled, side-firing speakers and perhaps even more processing than Yamaha. Noting some other highly rated (is anything lowly rated?) mid fi bars: the Samsung 850 is 46.5" wide and the Sony ST7's bar is 42.75" across.

Perhaps when 80" 4K's are readily available, we'll start seeing soundbars sized for a 65"? I know many would scoff at the idea of a soundbar for a TV that big and realize that manufacturers need to carefully consider how many 65"+ TV's are installed vs 42-55"s there before they fire up the presses to make giant bars. And I've loved my 7.2 home theater speaker system for many years, But I am convinced Vizio has hit the nail on the head with a super wide HDMI ARC bar with center speakers, wireless sub with rears, a true 5.1 system for the modern living room....Happy wife, happy life. I'd love to see Polk, Klipsch, HK, Yamaha, Sony, Pioneer, etc. (especially the latter) follow Vizio's lead.

post #742 of 920 Old 01-16-2014, 05:42 PM

I guess i am just going to have to suck it up with the short vizio that has a wireless sub with rears. its prett small front what i remember, 42"-46".

But its thin profile is what the wife is looking for.
post #743 of 920 Old 01-17-2014, 01:46 PM

If one is willing to do a passive sound bar with a receiver there are companies that will make them any size. Triad and Leon come to mind but I now there are others as well.
post #744 of 920 Old 01-17-2014, 04:42 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 14
We use the James loudspeaker SPL39LCR in our sitting room.

They can custom make any size.

VSX-53, VSX-51,VSX-81 Pioneer Elites and Denon 1611
James loudspeaker inwalls main and future theater
Control4
Other speaker zones DefTech, Polk, Russound, Boston Acoustics
post #745 of 920 Old 01-18-2014, 12:23 AM

Looking at the Definitive Tech SoloCinema XTR sound bar and I'm concerned about the large number of negative reviews on amazon, referencing glitches, etc. Anyone here experience the same or conversely have continued positive experiences?

Plan to pair the sound bar with a Panny VT65 plasma TV.

Thanks
post #746 of 920 Old 01-18-2014, 06:33 AM

Hi all, 

I'm new here and am in need of some advice.

I hope I'm putting this in the right place.

I currently have the following set up:

Panasonic TXP42X10B, wall mounted hooked up to PS3, WDTV live with hdd and a BT TV box - all by HDMI.

After 4 years of owning the TV, I've finally convinced my wife that it's time to improve the sound, as we're struggling to hear dialogue when watching TV when the kids are in bed.

As a result, I'm thinking of getting a sound bar - but my TV doesn't have an optical out and I'm fairly sure is too old for ARC HDMI to work?

I wanted to keep it simple, as the others in my house are not particularly technical at all.

So I was hoping that I could use get  soundbar and just use the TV remote. However, without an optical out from the TV, I'm fairly sure this won't work.

Budget's between two and three hundred pounds. 

Any options / suggestions most welcome!

Cheers,

Andrew 

post #747 of 920 Old 01-19-2014, 01:58 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I currently have the following setup:

TV - Pioneer Elite Kuro 111FD
AVR - Pioneer VSX-1121
CENTER - Energy C-C100
FRONT L/R - Energy C-100's
REAR L/R - JBL SCS 180.6S
SUB - Klipsch RW-DW12

My wife is tired of seeing so many speakers and has asked that I replace them with a soundbar. She's put the budget at a max of $500. I'm not thrilled about it but "happy wife, happy life" right? Anyway, I'd like to find something that will go well with my KURO and VSX-1121 as far as the fit and maximization of sound. What suggestion(s) do you guys have?

Please let me know if you have any questions and thanks!
post #748 of 920 Old 01-19-2014, 03:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 301 Post(s)
Liked: 851
lol Question is for how long will it make her happy and whats next. If youre selling the Energys send me a PM.

No, Mr. Bond. I expect you to die!
post #749 of 920 Old 01-19-2014, 05:03 PM

Hi Everyone,

I am looking into soundbars right now but I don't know what I need for my space. I have a living room that is 15' by 30'. The couch is 17 feet from the TV. Right now I have a Samsung UN60F6350 which is basically the same TV in the link(it goes to Amazon), I got it from BJ's Wholesale. We also currently have a Onkyo HT-S5400 7.1-Channel system hooked up in the room, but the Mrs. always complains about how hard it is to use.

So, obviously, I'm looking for something a bit more simple to use but not weak. Her main complaint is that every time you turn the TV on, you have to turn the surround sound on as well and select the correct audio channel. I don't think its that big of a deal, but I will put the 7.1 in the basement and hook it up to the 47 inch LG with a PS4. I have no reservations about downgrading to a soundbar, I'm getting the better end of the deal anyway.

What would you guys recommend for a room that size? I like the Vizio S4251 (another amazon link). It gets good reviews there, but nobody in the reviews says anything about putting it in a larger room.
post #750 of 920 Old 01-19-2014, 05:08 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bond 007 View Post

lol Question is for how long will it make her happy and whats next. If youre selling the Energys send me a PM.

PM sent.

As for how long she'll be happy, I don't know. If I can replicate the current sound, I can live with it I guess. Can I replicate that sound?
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page