AVS Forum banner

Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread

518K views 2K replies 1K participants last post by  Gov 
#1 ·
"Which soundbar should I buy?"

"Help me choose a soundbar!"

With the moderators' approval, this thread is for posts on these types of questions.

Please post your requests for soundbar recommendations in this thread instead of starting a new thread.

#702 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by ToonMasterTim  /t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread/690#post_24102068

With my old Vizio 2.1 sound bar giving the occasional "thermal shutdown" error I am searching for a replacement. 'm torn between the Vizio S3821W-C0 ($128), Vizio S4251W-B4 ($278), the Sony HT-CT660 ($299), the Samsung HW-FM45C ($141 returned...down from $218), or the Pioneer SP-SB23W ($299).

The Sony sound bars, including the lower-price HT-CT260, get excellent reviews. Personally, I like look of the 660 more and don't mind the higher price to get better sound and what I consider a nicer enclosure. The Samsung is a great value, but I don't know that I like the exposed parts that will collect dust. It is very thin and light though, which is nice. The Pioneer gets great reviews but is less stylish than the Sony's, IMO. Finally, the Vizio's. Vizio likes to tempt me because they offer good performance for the price. The S3821W-C0 is half the price of the Sony and Pioneer and is essentially the update of the system I have now, albeit a little smaller. And the 5.1 system they offer would be nice. I can probably deal with the rear speakers hooked up to the subwoofer in the back of the room, but I wonder if the sound quality is that good. CNET and others like it. It's "true" surround as opposed to what the others are.

The real issue is, which offers the best sound quality for the price? Am I getting that much better quality going with the higher-priced units? The Vizio problem hasn't scared me away. I still feel they are good products, and mine served me well for four years or longer.

The Pioneer probably has the most natural and accurate sound based on your choices.

However, the Vizio probably is the most open with the greatest breadth and depth of sound.

Either is a good choice and probably better than either of the Sony's. Samsungs in general sound at best acceptable and would be at the bottom of my personal list.

#704 ·

Hello guys. Recently I bought 42ST60E.  And I think it's time to get myself some better audio. Speakers on tv aint nothing special, and my old 10 years speakers in the room are in corner number 3, so they don't really add to whole movie experience. Since my room looks like this:

1                      2

3                      4

Between 1-2 is 3,6m ,and between 1-4 is 4.2m. TV is in on desk,in corner where number 1 is, and I sit on my bed which is in the middle of the 2-4 or sometimes in chair in front of tv. When I am on bed, there is around 2.6m between me and tv. Because of my room, I can't put 5.1 system in. So my options are soundbar or 2.1 system, which would you suggest?

My budget is around 400-500euro. Since some of you stated that more expensive soundbar doesn't mean it will be better than cheaper, well, I am looking for basically best bang for the buck. If cheaper soundbar is only marginally worse than much more expensive one, then I would rather save money if it won't get me much sound quality.

I saw Onkyo LS-T10, but I guess I can probably get better options than it for this price. Any help in this 400-500euro price range is much appreciated!

#705 ·
#706 ·

For me the perfect soundbar would:

1) Support HDMI ARC (as most TVs now down-convert surround to 2.0 via optical out)

2) Have multiple HDMI inputs (since so few sources, not even PS4 support ARC

3) Have a wireless subwoofer (if I wanted wires, I'd have a full-on receiver-speaker setup)

4) Have actual rear speakers (I don't want fake, processed "Intellibeam", "3D sound", etc.)

5) Process Dolby Digital AND DTS (Xbox One lacks Dolby...SONOS lacks DTS...ugh)

6) Fit a 65" TV (the left & right channel shouldn't be set in a foot & a half from the sides of TV)

7) Mount flush on wall (I'm looking at you Sony...)

8) Have center speakers  (see #4)

In my mind, the upcoming Vizio 5451 would be perfect IF it included 3 or 4 HDMI inputs rather than just 1 (see #2).

The Sony 260 or 660 would be too IF they could mount flush to wall, was much wider, and had actual rear & center speakers (see #4, 6, 7, & 8). 

I LOVE my SONOS Play:1s & would add a Playbar in a heartbeat IF only included DTS processing and HDMI ins/out (see #1, 2, 5). Ideally it would also be wider (#6), but at least it acknowledges the soundstage with side-firing speakers. 

I cannot believe in 2014, I cannot get a soundbar with HDMI ARC switching and rear speakers. I think VIZIO has the right idea, i.e. wide, wall-mounted bar with wireless sub placed besides couch and rear speakers wired painlessly behind the couch. I only wish they added a couple HDMI inputs.

Has anyone had luck with an HDMI switcher that supports Audio Return Channel? 

#707 ·
ARC, yes indeed. That's the one thing that really surprised me about my Bose Lifestyle 135 - relatively lots of HDMI and other kinds of inputs compared with other soundbars, but no ARC, which would have saved a lot of space on the back of the unit and perhaps allowed for an extra HDMI input..

#708 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19342  /t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread/690#post_24186283

For me the perfect soundbar would:

1) Support HDMI ARC (as most TVs now down-convert surround to 2.0 via optical out)

2) Have multiple HDMI inputs (since so few sources, not even PS4 support ARC

3) Have a wireless subwoofer (if I wanted wires, I'd have a full-on receiver-speaker setup)

4) Have actual rear speakers (I don't want fake, processed "Intellibeam", "3D sound", etc.)

5) Process Dolby Digital AND DTS (Xbox One lacks Dolby...SONOS lacks DTS...ugh)

6) Fit a 65" TV (the left & right channel shouldn't be set in a foot & a half from the sides of TV)

7) Mount flush on wall (I'm looking at you Sony...)

In my mind, the upcoming Vizio 5451 would be perfect IF it included 3 or 4 HDMI inputs rather than just 1 (see #2).

The Sony 260 or 660 would be too IF they could mount flush to wall, was much wider, and had actual rear speakers (see #4, 6, & 7). 

I LOVE my SONOS Play:1s & would add a Playbar in a heartbeat IF only included DTS processing and HDMI ins/out (see #1, 2, 5). Ideally it would also be wider (#6), but at least it acknowledges the soundstage with side-firing speakers. 

I cannot believe in 2014, I cannot get a soundbar with HDMI ARC switching and rear speakers. I think VIZIO has the right idea, i.e. wide, wall-mounted bar with wireless sub placed besides couch and rear speakers wired painlessly behind the couch. I only wish they added a couple HDMI inputs.

Has anyone had luck with an HDMI switcher that supports Audio Return Channel? 

I'm agree with most of your points other than the fact that ARC is not relevant for me because my TV is older. At this point, I just want a sound bar that can do 5.1, wireless sub and no downmixing. Only choices rigtht now are the 4251 (and get a switcher) or the 5451 (may still need a switcher)....

#709 ·

What size TV? It makes such a huge difference to the sound field when those L & R speakers are out to the edges of the TV. I don't think all those 36-42"soundbars make much sense under a 60"+ TV. Panasonic may have had the right idea with a 3-piece bar that can be configured as 3 separate speakers...shame they didn't hire Andrew Jones. Kudos to Vizio for putting out a 54" bar...I just wish they added a couple HDMI inputs!

Iocol, did you see the 4x1 HDMI Switch on Monoprice for $74? It allegedly supports ARC, 3D, & CEC and passes a simultaneous identical audio output to Optical & Coax outputs. If that all works, I'm thinking it could be the ticket for both our issues today as well as future-proof our systems. Not generally a fan of switches, but considering CES 2014 has come and gone without a solution it looks to be a long while before the perfect soundbar is made.

In the meantime the upcoming Vizio 5451 and this switch could be the ideal wife-accepting, man-satisfying living room home audio setup.

#710 ·
Pertaining to post #706 above, you will receive identical sound if you use ARC or optical. If that is a concern, I would either get a soundbar with multiple HDMI inputs or at least 1 and use a switch.

#711 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doctego  /t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread/690#post_24189884

Pertaining to post #706 above, you will receive identical sound if you use ARC or optical. If that is a concern, I would either get a soundbar with multiple HDMI inputs or at least 1 and use a switch.
Not true. My Panasonic ST60 (like most new TVs) down-converts incoming signals to 2.0 PCM via optical. Quoting it's user manual "When connecting to an AV amp via HDMI, you can enjoy higher sound quality."

Part of the confusion is how TV's are advertised having Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. and would never admit to purposely reducing audio quality. And yes my ST60 will send a Dolby 5.1 signal via optical when I use ITS built-in tuner (including its Netflix app); but meanwhile your Blu-Ray player, Xbox, PS4, etc. will be down-converted 2.0 PCM via optical! My TV like many others will only pass 5.1 via HDMI ARC. I confirmed this with my receiver.

Again, I'm not claiming HDMI ARC is inherently better than optical or coax for digital audio connections. It's that many TVs today purposely reduce the quality of their optical output signal, presumably because it doesn't incorporate the anti-piracy  "handshaking" of HDMI connections.

#712 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19342  /t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread/690#post_24189719

Iocol, did you see the 4x1 HDMI Switch on Monoprice for $74? It allegedly supports ARC, 3D, & CEC and passes a simultaneous identical audio output to Optical & Coax outputs. If that all works, I'm thinking it could be the ticket for both our issues today as well as future-proof our systems. Not generally a fan of switches, but considering CES 2014 has come and gone without a solution it looks to be a long while before the perfect soundbar is made.

In the meantime the upcoming Vizio 5451 and this switch could be the ideal wife-accepting, man-satisfying living room home audio setup.

Yes - I was thinking the same thing. I'll have to admit, I'm not too familiar with switchers but it looks like a 4x1 HDMI switch is the way to go. If that's the case, I might end up going with the 4251 since the prices are good these days. Not sure how much more the 5451 will be but it might be easier to find the 4251 on a discount.

#713 ·
I guess the other question is whether I need a switcher if I'm only going to connect a HD PVR and my blu ray player to the Vizio 4251. The PVR is a Motorola DCX3400 digital box with 5.1 and has outputs for optical and coaxial. So am I correct in stating that as long as I connect the PVR and blu ray directly to the 4251, I should get 5.1 from both sources?

Of course, if I want to add another component to the mix, the switcher will be required....

#715 ·
the pioneer andrew jones soundbar is the only one i tried that's worth the money. don't waste time or money trying the cheaper models as i found they really lack midrange. they sound ok for movies, it's just that music exposes their lack of midrange. if the andrew jones soundbar isn't good enough or big enough then move to a receiver/speaker setup.

#716 ·
I am about to mount either a 46" LED or 50" plasma on living room wall, would like soundbar for tv, movies and playing music (no other speakers in the room). I have a Denon AVR-2807 reciever, and a PSW505 sub from a theatre room at my old house. can someone explain pros/cons of powered vs no-powered, and since I have a reciever to use that puts out 7 x 110w, am i better off getting non-powered? what soundbar is recommended and would it pair with the PSW505, hoping to no buy a new sub and use one i have, but if that doesn't work i can look at bar/sub combos...

#717 ·

Hello guys,

I've been a reader of the forum for a long time now, but since i need some advice i decided to "upgrade" and become a member.

I have a Panasovic Smart Viera P55VT60 and decided to buy a sound system to complement it and enjoy better sound.

I have it conncted to a PS3 for Blurays and on my server for streaming so i just need sound. 

I don't have cabling to install a surround system and i have a budget of $750. 

Should i go for a sound bar a 2.1 system with a decent amplifier?

Since i am a noob on the subject i would appreciate simple answers and some links to a review.

Thanks a lot.

Kypros

#718 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iocol  /t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread/690#post_24190125

I guess the other question is whether I need a switcher if I'm only going to connect a HD PVR and my blu ray player to the Vizio 4251. The PVR is a Motorola DCX3400 digital box with 5.1 and has outputs for optical and coaxial. So am I correct in stating that as long as I connect the PVR and blu ray directly to the 4251, I should get 5.1 from both sources?

Of course, if I want to add another component to the mix, the switcher will be required....

Yeah, you're good to go with the 4251 alone since it has both optical & digital coax inputs. And yes that's it for 5.1 as the other inputs are analog (RCA & 3.5mm). Directly connecting to the source ensures you'll get all its audio signals; the caveat is greater potential for lip sync error. Many soundbars have a sync adjustment, but it's not mentioned in the 4251 manual.

You might be fine however. I have a Panny ST60 which is notorious for input lag & am currently running Xbox One optical audio out  direct to old Spherex 5.1 and have FIOS DVR plugged into the Xbone.  Amazingly it all works fantastic which no lip sync issue. 

#719 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff19342  /t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread/690#post_24190064

Not true. My Panasonic ST60 (like most new TVs) down-converts incoming signals to 2.0 PCM via optical. Quoting it's user manual "When connecting to an AV amp via HDMI, you can enjoy higher sound quality."

Part of the confusion is how TV's are advertised having Dolby Digital, DTS, etc. and would never admit to purposely reducing audio quality. And yes my ST60 will send a Dolby 5.1 signal via optical when I use ITS built-in tuner (including its Netflix app); but meanwhile your Blu-Ray player, Xbox, PS4, etc. will be down-converted 2.0 PCM via optical! My TV like many others will only pass 5.1 via HDMI ARC. I confirmed this with my receiver.

Again, I'm not claiming HDMI ARC is inherently better than optical or coax for digital audio connections. It's that many TVs today purposely reduce the quality of their optical output signal, presumably because it doesn't incorporate the anti-piracy  "handshaking" of HDMI connections.

Jeff, in theory you have better sound via HDMI ARC. In reality with the Panasonic it is exactly the same with the exception of OTA broadcasts. In reality that is the same also as currently I know of no network or local station that broadcasts in anything beyond 5.1. If some did start broadcasting in 7.1, you could receive this via ARC and not by optical. As it stands now, you will get 5.1 from either optical or HDMI ARC with the exact digital output.

For any components connected to the TV via HDMI, the Panasonic will down mix to PCM (2-ch).

#720 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Iocol  /t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread/690#post_24190125

You are absolutely correct. You will get 5-ch from either.

#721 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kypros Vasiliou  /t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread/690#post_24202538

Hello guys,

I've been a reader of the forum for a long time now, but since i need some advice i decided to "upgrade" and become a member.

I have a Panasovic Smart Viera P55VT60 and decided to buy a sound system to complement it and enjoy better sound.

I have it conncted to a PS3 for Blurays and on my server for streaming so i just need sound. 

I don't have cabling to install a surround system and i have a budget of $750. 

Should i go for a sound bar a 2.1 system with a decent amplifier?

Since i am a noob on the subject i would appreciate simple answers and some links to a review.

Thanks a lot.

Kypros

In theory, you would receive better sound from a GOOD 2.1 system. Of course this implies you have the room to the sides of your TV to place two speakers and make the proper connections to an AVR. The AVR is probably the least of your concerns going this way as there are numerous models from various manufacturers for under $ 300 that will all sound respectable (and unless there are serious design flaws, they will all sound the same). I will get hammered from some of the audio elite on that last comment. That leaves you a budget of $ 450 for speakers. The Andrew Jones bookshelf and preferably tower speakers from Pioneer would be an excellent choice. However, for best sound, these need to be set away from the rear and sidewalls. One meter or more is ideal, but a spacing of at least twelve inches is preferred.

You can get the overall sonic signature of the Andrew Jones seperates from Pioneer's SB23 speaker bar and make you life considerably less complicated (about $ 300) total. What you would be missing is the spaciousness of the two speakers. Very hard to do correctly from a speaker bar. For a more spacious sound, Vizio has a number of units that do a psuedo surround and less than $ 250 and are usually quite pleasing sonically accoring to most reviewers as well as owners.

#722 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrMcCrackin  /t/1357545/official-help-me-choose-a-soundbar-thread/690#post_24194511

Getting ready to get a new 65"+ samsung lcd for the new house.

The wife wants to replace the ysp4000 also, so i need some recommendations.

Budget under $900 for the soundbar.

For her it needs to "look" nicer than the ysp4000

I'm assuming your bride isn't fond of the YSP4k's relatively large height & depth?  At 7.6" & 5.7" respectively, it's significantly bulkier than most current bars. As far as pure looks go, the Sonos Playbar & Samsung HW-F750 get darn nearly universal praise for aesthetics and both are well within your price range.

Are you mounting it on the wall? One of my beefs with the soundbar market is there's hardly anything sized appropriately for a 65" TV. With most bars being 36-45" wide. 40-55" TV's are covered in spades, but what about 60"+? Sharp had stepped up with their 54" HT-SB60 a while ago. Gets praise for its soundstage (thanks to widely spaced right & left channels), but mixed reviews on quality. Vizio also just released a 54" bar (actually 54" not SIZED for a 54" TV as many manufacturers spec). At CES they announced a true 5.1 version of this wide bar. Personally I think a 54"+ bar looks better under a 58 or 59" wide 65" TV, especially when both are mounted to the wall. And it certainly sounds better when the left channel actually comes from left side of your TV rather than vaguely in the middle of it.  But both the last two are way under your budget, so they might not suit your tastes.

Your budget puts you in Polk, Klipsch, Harmon Kardon, Yamaha, etc. territory. I would aim for a model that supports HDMI ARC with multiple HDMI inputs in order to help future-proof your system. Your Samsung like my Panny and most late model TV's downmix external sources to 2.0 PCM stereo. For example, if you plugged your Blu-Ray player to your TV & then TV to soundbar, it will only see a 2.0 stereo signal. To get 5.1 DD or DTS signals to soundbar, you need to connect sources directly to soundbar. And if it supports HDMI ARC, a single HDMI cable to TV is all you'll need between bar & TV.

If I were you, I'd consider boosting budget a tad to get Samsung HW-F850 (wider & better than 750 mentioned above) or the HK SB35. Happy hunting!

#723 ·

Hey all,

Been reading the site for a while as my wife has requested that we do away with the speakers and go with something more streamlined so I was looking at getting a sound bar. I just sold my receiver and the TV speakers are already starting to great so I unfortunately don't want to wait too long and get one ordered asap!

I though about the YSP2200 but really I don't want to go over $400 this time round.

The two I am most interested in are:

Yamaha-YSP1400BL

http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-YSP1400BL-Digital-Sound-Projector/dp/B00EIF0E0Y/ref=sr_1_7?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1389654330&sr=1-7&keywords=soundbar

And

Sony HT-CT660

I did look at the Vizio but after spending money on a hdmi splitter with a to slink out and speaker stands it comes in over budget so I would rather go with something that gives a depth of sound.

I previously just had a simple 2.0 set up with the receiver and two floor standing speakers as I was meant to build on it but now having to condense it instead!

Any help is much appreciated as I can't find any information on the Yamaha.

#724 ·

Hey all,

I am not sure if my last post worked as I posted it by accident and included an external link, apologies if this creates a double post.

I am looking to replace my 2 Floorstanding speakers and receiver with a side bar as my wife plans to use the space either side of the TV now and can't stand the sight of them.

I am looking into two different bars as a replacement as the Vizio 5.1 is out of budget and i am not sure the rears would get passed. So if a sound bar can create some nice depth in sound for music and movies that would be great. The two I was looking at are:

Sony HT-CT660

Yamaha-YSP1400BL

My budget is around $400, I will be connecting my PS4, possibly and Apple TV and a Wii U. My TV is a LM8600 so I take it I could maybe take the PS4 directly to the optical in and then get the TV a optical to coaxial convertor so I could take everything else to the TV then back to the sound bar. Obviously the Sony does not have that issue which is why at the moment it is my preferred choice.

All opinions are appreciated.

#725 ·
Kypros,

I went the 2.1 route as I found better sound quality than any of the sound bars. But drfreeman is correct you do need the space to properly place or mount the speakers. With your budget there are plenty of options but you'll have two main types.

1. A receiver with speakers and sub. This could easily be done in your price range.

2. Powered speakers and sub. By the specs it looks like your TV only has a digital audio out. That is a little more limiting for this type of set up. The only system I can think of that would handle this is the Paradigm Milennia CT which is a very nice system BTW.