Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 905 Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need help in picking a sound bar or a sound base that sits under my tv would work also. I am going to be getting the Sony 40W600B HDTV that I will hook it up to. I will primarily be using it for watching movies and gaming on my PS4 so the best sound for movies and games like call of duty is top priority but good sound with music wouldn't hurt.

It will be for a small to medium sized bedroom and space is limited which is why I am going for one of these rather then a full 5.1 system. I wouldn't have a problem with an external sub though if that will help with sound quality. My max budget is around $400 so the cheaper the better but I don't want to sacrifice on sound quality too much. I value sound quality over aesthetics and features (as long as it will work with my TV and PS4 that's about all the features that are absolutely necessary.)

My current interest is the Sony Ht-Xt1 because it gets good reviews, it's at an affordable price, and it has enough connections to where I'm sure it will work with all my stuff.

If there is something that sounds overall better for a similar price please let me know.

P.S. I won't be wall mounting, I will be setting my tv on a tv stand so if it is a soundbar, I'd prefer one that won't block the bottom of the screen unless you can give me an easy solution on avoiding that issue without mounting the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 905 Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recommendation

Iam looking for a quality soundbar sound system to sit on a fireplace mantelbelow a Panasonic 54” plasma tv. Thereis no floor space available, in walls would be difficult though not impossibleto install, and small bookshelf (like Paradigm Cinema or Millenia) would look abit awkward. While I would like the easeof use of an active soundbar, I believeit will have to be a passive one, along with an AVR, a small sub and in ceilingrear speakers, to provide the features and sound quality I am looking for. While I intend to use some Sonos throughoutthe house, I don’t believe their Playbar is what I want. My leading choice so far is the GoldenearSupercinema 3D Array, but I am open to suggestions. I did hear a demo of the new Supercinema 3D XL Array at CES this past January, which Ibelieve will be shipping soon, that sounded excellent, so I intend to waituntil I can hear it again before I decide. I also need to choose an appropriate AVR, with my current preferences ofAnthem and Marantz. I would greatlyappreciate some recommendations
post #903 of 905 Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 62 Post(s)
Liked: 59
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopit View Post
Iam looking for a quality soundbar sound system to sit on a fireplace mantelbelow a Panasonic 54” plasma tv. Thereis no floor space available, in walls would be difficult though not impossibleto install, and small bookshelf (like Paradigm Cinema or Millenia) would look abit awkward. While I would like the easeof use of an active soundbar, I believeit will have to be a passive one, along with an AVR, a small sub and in ceilingrear speakers, to provide the features and sound quality I am looking for. While I intend to use some Sonos throughoutthe house, I don’t believe their Playbar is what I want. My leading choice so far is the GoldenearSupercinema 3D Array, but I am open to suggestions. I did hear a demo of the new Supercinema 3D XL Array at CES this past January, which Ibelieve will be shipping soon, that sounded excellent, so I intend to waituntil I can hear it again before I decide. I also need to choose an appropriate AVR, with my current preferences ofAnthem and Marantz. I would greatlyappreciate some recommendations
You should be very happy with that configuration.
post #904 of 905 Old 08-27-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 27
Difference between 2.1 and 3.1 Sound Bars

Guys, I have an old Sony sound bar CT150 that's 3.1. It still sounds great but it does not decode DTS-HD Master Audio or True HD. I was looking to upgrade it with one that is able to decode the new HD codecs. Upon researching, i found out that most sub $500 sound bars are only 2.1. So my question is: What is the difference between 2.1 and 3.1 if any? Are there any noticeably differences? Also, If I do get a 2.1 sound bar that is able to decode True HD and DTS HD Mater audio, like the Sony CT660 or CT770, will I hear a big difference? Thanks!
post #905 of 905 Old 08-27-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
Guys, I have an old Sony sound bar CT150 that's 3.1. It still sounds great but it does not decode DTS-HD Master Audio or True HD. I was looking to upgrade it with one that is able to decode the new HD codecs. Upon researching, i found out that most sub $500 sound bars are only 2.1. So my question is: What is the difference between 2.1 and 3.1 if any? Are there any noticeably differences? Also, If I do get a 2.1 sound bar that is able to decode True HD and DTS HD Mater audio, like the Sony CT660 or CT770, will I hear a big difference? Thanks!
to be honest, with a soundbar the HD codecs wont make a huge difference. I had the CT770, and the quality of sound wasn't that great to me. I had a JBL SB400 that sounded much much better than the Sony, and it only was 2.1 with dolby digital.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page