Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 31 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #901 of 928 Old 08-05-2014, 01:43 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I need help in picking a sound bar or a sound base that sits under my tv would work also. I am going to be getting the Sony 40W600B HDTV that I will hook it up to. I will primarily be using it for watching movies and gaming on my PS4 so the best sound for movies and games like call of duty is top priority but good sound with music wouldn't hurt.

It will be for a small to medium sized bedroom and space is limited which is why I am going for one of these rather then a full 5.1 system. I wouldn't have a problem with an external sub though if that will help with sound quality. My max budget is around $400 so the cheaper the better but I don't want to sacrifice on sound quality too much. I value sound quality over aesthetics and features (as long as it will work with my TV and PS4 that's about all the features that are absolutely necessary.)

My current interest is the Sony Ht-Xt1 because it gets good reviews, it's at an affordable price, and it has enough connections to where I'm sure it will work with all my stuff.

If there is something that sounds overall better for a similar price please let me know.

P.S. I won't be wall mounting, I will be setting my tv on a tv stand so if it is a soundbar, I'd prefer one that won't block the bottom of the screen unless you can give me an easy solution on avoiding that issue without mounting the TV.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #902 of 928 Old 08-12-2014, 09:08 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Recommendation

Iam looking for a quality soundbar sound system to sit on a fireplace mantelbelow a Panasonic 54” plasma tv. Thereis no floor space available, in walls would be difficult though not impossibleto install, and small bookshelf (like Paradigm Cinema or Millenia) would look abit awkward. While I would like the easeof use of an active soundbar, I believeit will have to be a passive one, along with an AVR, a small sub and in ceilingrear speakers, to provide the features and sound quality I am looking for. While I intend to use some Sonos throughoutthe house, I don’t believe their Playbar is what I want. My leading choice so far is the GoldenearSupercinema 3D Array, but I am open to suggestions. I did hear a demo of the new Supercinema 3D XL Array at CES this past January, which Ibelieve will be shipping soon, that sounded excellent, so I intend to waituntil I can hear it again before I decide. I also need to choose an appropriate AVR, with my current preferences ofAnthem and Marantz. I would greatlyappreciate some recommendations
post #903 of 928 Old 08-23-2014, 01:11 PM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 85 Post(s)
Liked: 80
Quote:
Originally Posted by shopit View Post
Iam looking for a quality soundbar sound system to sit on a fireplace mantelbelow a Panasonic 54” plasma tv. Thereis no floor space available, in walls would be difficult though not impossibleto install, and small bookshelf (like Paradigm Cinema or Millenia) would look abit awkward. While I would like the easeof use of an active soundbar, I believeit will have to be a passive one, along with an AVR, a small sub and in ceilingrear speakers, to provide the features and sound quality I am looking for. While I intend to use some Sonos throughoutthe house, I don’t believe their Playbar is what I want. My leading choice so far is the GoldenearSupercinema 3D Array, but I am open to suggestions. I did hear a demo of the new Supercinema 3D XL Array at CES this past January, which Ibelieve will be shipping soon, that sounded excellent, so I intend to waituntil I can hear it again before I decide. I also need to choose an appropriate AVR, with my current preferences ofAnthem and Marantz. I would greatlyappreciate some recommendations
You should be very happy with that configuration.
post #904 of 928 Old 08-27-2014, 06:29 AM

Quoted: 21 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Difference between 2.1 and 3.1 Sound Bars

Guys, I have an old Sony sound bar CT150 that's 3.1. It still sounds great but it does not decode DTS-HD Master Audio or True HD. I was looking to upgrade it with one that is able to decode the new HD codecs. Upon researching, i found out that most sub $500 sound bars are only 2.1. So my question is: What is the difference between 2.1 and 3.1 if any? Are there any noticeably differences? Also, If I do get a 2.1 sound bar that is able to decode True HD and DTS HD Mater audio, like the Sony CT660 or CT770, will I hear a big difference? Thanks!
post #905 of 928 Old 08-27-2014, 03:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cortiz View Post
Guys, I have an old Sony sound bar CT150 that's 3.1. It still sounds great but it does not decode DTS-HD Master Audio or True HD. I was looking to upgrade it with one that is able to decode the new HD codecs. Upon researching, i found out that most sub $500 sound bars are only 2.1. So my question is: What is the difference between 2.1 and 3.1 if any? Are there any noticeably differences? Also, If I do get a 2.1 sound bar that is able to decode True HD and DTS HD Mater audio, like the Sony CT660 or CT770, will I hear a big difference? Thanks!
to be honest, with a soundbar the HD codecs wont make a huge difference. I had the CT770, and the quality of sound wasn't that great to me. I had a JBL SB400 that sounded much much better than the Sony, and it only was 2.1 with dolby digital.
post #906 of 928 Old 09-09-2014, 11:58 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Please help with my sound bar decision

Dear AVS members,

I am in the market for a sound bar. My wife and I recently purchased a house and renovated it. Part of the renovation was the installation of hardwood floors so I have to look at an alternative for a 5.1/7.1 system. Keep in mind, I HAD a 5.1 system that I put together piece by piece and I KNOW that a sound bar will never compete with a true 5.1/7.1 system. What I am looking for is a sound bar that sounds good when played at mid to high volumes for movies. I received one of those Vizio sound bars as a gift and it was horrible. To test the sound quality of the sound bar, I tried 3 different movies on it (Bad Boys 2, Top Gun, and Mortal Kombat). I'm looking for something in the $400 - $700 range. I've heard good things about the Klipsch SB3 and the JBL SB400. I would like to know what sound bars you use. Please remember, I'm looking for something that sounds good without distorting and where the dialogue in movies can clearly be heard along with the other sounds. Any info you can give would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You
post #907 of 928 Old 09-09-2014, 01:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lando4534 View Post
Dear AVS members,

I am in the market for a sound bar. My wife and I recently purchased a house and renovated it. Part of the renovation was the installation of hardwood floors so I have to look at an alternative for a 5.1/7.1 system. Keep in mind, I HAD a 5.1 system that I put together piece by piece and I KNOW that a sound bar will never compete with a true 5.1/7.1 system. What I am looking for is a sound bar that sounds good when played at mid to high volumes for movies. I received one of those Vizio sound bars as a gift and it was horrible. To test the sound quality of the sound bar, I tried 3 different movies on it (Bad Boys 2, Top Gun, and Mortal Kombat). I'm looking for something in the $400 - $700 range. I've heard good things about the Klipsch SB3 and the JBL SB400. I would like to know what sound bars you use. Please remember, I'm looking for something that sounds good without distorting and where the dialogue in movies can clearly be heard along with the other sounds. Any info you can give would greatly be appreciated.

Thank You
I've heard good things about the Pioneer SP-SB23W Andrew Jones Soundbar System. It's relatively inexpensive for what you get. Check it out.
post #908 of 928 Old 09-10-2014, 03:03 PM

Liked: 13
Yamaha YAS-103

Yamaha YAS-103
Drop the price $202: http://amzn.to/WVVWmW
post #909 of 928 Old 09-15-2014, 11:44 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
I'm curious as to whether a small TV room really requires a standalone subwoofer - or more importantly if the subs that come with most 2.1 soundbar systems, are really worth it to begin with. Something gives me the impression they'll overload and distort a lot.
For that reason I was leaning towards a singular soundbar unit, flat, to stand the television on.

Any one have experience with Maxell? They have two units I was considering

MSXB-250
MSXB-252

The only obvious difference is that the 252 is all HDMI based, or at least supports mainly HDMI connections. I don't have any particular desire to use HDMI, as my television has analog connections.
post #910 of 928 Old 09-15-2014, 08:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxette Rose View Post
I'm curious as to whether a small TV room really requires a standalone subwoofer - or more importantly if the subs that come with most 2.1 soundbar systems, are really worth it to begin with. Something gives me the impression they'll overload and distort a lot.
For that reason I was leaning towards a singular soundbar unit, flat, to stand the television on.

Any one have experience with Maxell? They have two units I was considering

MSXB-250
MSXB-252

The only obvious difference is that the 252 is all HDMI based, or at least supports mainly HDMI connections. I don't have any particular desire to use HDMI, as my television has analog connections.
How old is your TV? Is it a CRT?
post #911 of 928 Old 09-16-2014, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
How old is your TV? Is it a CRT?
Hello, it's a LCD, made about four years ago.
post #912 of 928 Old 09-16-2014, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Hello, it's a LCD, made about four years ago.
A little surprised a 4-yr old TV only has analog outputs. You might not use the HDMI output now, but I think you should consider future-proofing your soundbar purchase. If not, then maybe consider getting something very inexpensive & used from Ebay.
post #913 of 928 Old 09-17-2014, 05:23 AM

Quoted: 44 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Looking for a passive soundbar for the new family room in the basement. The room is pretty big (27 x 24) but the TV area will be in 1/4th of the space.

Budget is around $1k, not sure if I should go for a 3 channel (LCR) or a full 5 channel with surround. Currently looking into the GoldenEar Supercinema 3D Array, but am open to other suggestions, especially if I have to do a 5 channel bar

I plan on buying a sub at a later date (most likely the PSA XV15se)

The layout of the TV area is not ideal (sorry for the crude drawing not to scale) so I'm not sure if I could even really do in ceiling surrounds with the couch placement

Everthing will be powered by a Denon AVR-X2000

Any other questions just ask!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	family room 3.jpg
Views:	19
Size:	30.3 KB
ID:	266410  
post #914 of 928 Old 09-17-2014, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
A little surprised a 4-yr old TV only has analog outputs. You might not use the HDMI output now, but I think you should consider future-proofing your soundbar purchase. If not, then maybe consider getting something very inexpensive & used from Ebay.
It has 2x HDMI. I was stating that I can use analog, so the 250 model seems more appealing than they 252.
post #915 of 928 Old 09-17-2014, 09:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
It has 2x HDMI. I was stating that I can use analog, so the 250 model seems more appealing than they 252.
Sorry, I misunderstood. I'd like to know what you end up purchasing aand your impressions. I'm seriously considering a soundbar for my Panasonic 60ST60. Maybe the Pioneer will offer an updated version of the SP-SB23W. I really like the build quality of the Pioneer.
post #916 of 928 Old 09-19-2014, 09:58 AM

No problem. It will be a while, at least a month. If I remember I certainly will tell you!
post #917 of 928 Old 09-19-2014, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
No problem. It will be a while, at least a month. If I remember I certainly will tell you!
OK, thanks. Yesterday, I was looking around the web at reviews for soundbars that fit more in the price range I'm willing to spend. Came across Cnet's "Best Soundbars for 2014M Cnet had a nice review on the Pioneer as well. You may want to read that one.
post #918 of 928 Old 09-20-2014, 03:51 AM

Yes, it's hard to really pin point what's quality at a cost effective price. Thanks I'll look.
post #919 of 928 Old 09-20-2014, 03:51 AM

Here is the back panel on the TV. I noticed only today the 'HDMI' analog connections at the bottom right..hmm.

Note to self, try not moving when taking a picture.
post #920 of 928 Old 09-21-2014, 07:41 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Hello

I just bought a UN60H6350AF tv. I want a soundbar for a clean install. A wireless subwoofer would be preferred. Needs to have built in bluetooth for streaming from phone. My room is an odd shape so something that can fill the room and be played loud constantly. Budget is 1000-1500$.

Thanks
post #921 of 928 Old 09-24-2014, 01:06 PM

Liked: 10
Another desperate scream for the help.
I have 42”Philips 7 series smart TV in my bedroom, and decide to invest some money in upgrade of sound.
I looking for budget soundbar ( around 300 US). I am from Europe, so, please consider that if you will recommend me something.
Requirement– HDMI (ARC), preferable separate Sub unit and compatible with my TV.
Right now I was checking out these products:
Panasonic SC-HTB580
Denon DHT-S514
LG NB4530A
Sony HTCT260H
Philips HTL5120/12
Philips HTL6140B
Philips HTL5140B
Many thanks in advance.

HTPC - Was is das ???
post #922 of 928 Old 09-25-2014, 07:18 AM

Probably a silly question but, do all soundbars use their own amp? Wondering if I will need to use the "Pre Out" on my receiver or can I use the receivers AMP to power the speakers.

Thanks
post #923 of 928 Old 09-25-2014, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vitamineg View Post
Probably a silly question but, do all soundbars use their own amp? Wondering if I will need to use the "Pre Out" on my receiver or can I use the receivers AMP to power the speakers.

Thanks
Figured it out. Sounds like I should be looking for a "Passive Soundbar".
post #924 of 928 Old 09-25-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zolivar View Post
I recently purchased a Denon 1912 AVR and am looking for a passive soundbar to hook up to this. I would like to have "virtual sourround sound" or a soundbar that will best allow me surround sound. I cannot go with seperate speakers as the room is too small and doesnt allow for proper set up.

Everywhere I look seems to only talk about active soundbars.

Is there a soundbar I could hook up to my AVR?

Thanks!
Old thread I know but Zolivar, did you ever find a good passive sounbar?

Anyone have suggestions?

Is there any huge quality differences in sound for active vs passive soundbar?

Bueller?
post #925 of 928 Old 09-26-2014, 08:34 PM

I have another!

1. Denon DHTS514
2. Samsung HWF750
3. Harmon Kardon SB 26
4. LG NB5541

I have no idea if this thread is still alive, but I urge you all to come back for one last fight! The fight to let me know what's right!!!!!!! To fight FOR FREEEEEEDOM!!!!!!
post #926 of 928 Old 09-27-2014, 08:08 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
What's the difference between a sound bar and a sound projector?
post #927 of 928 Old 09-27-2014, 08:10 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Also, what would be the things to look for if I wanted it to actually reproduce surround sound not just mimic it.... What price range would I be looking at?
post #928 of 928 Old 09-28-2014, 08:13 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by OdinGOW View Post
Also, what would be the things to look for if I wanted it to actually reproduce surround sound not just mimic it.... What price range would I be looking at?
From my search, I think it would be futile to try to find a true surround-sound soundbar as you describe. You are so much better off just getting a good 5.1 speaker system if surround sound is your goal. Given the proper room size, I do believe it's possible to buy an acceptable 2.1 soundbar, and this is where I concentrate my own search.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page