1Likes

post #931 of 946 Old 10-12-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To soundbar or not to soundbar?

I recently moved out of my large 2br apartment out in the suburbs to my girlfriends tiny 550sq 1br apartment downtown. While I was able to bring my TV stand and 60" Vizio TV, I don't have any room for my old 5.0 setup. (Ascend Acoustics 340 towers for LCR and 170 bookshelves for surrounds).

Space is so tight that I don't see any option to even keep my old bookshelves for front LR speakers since they won't fit on my TV stand and there is really no room for speaker stands to the side. Thus I think a soundbar is the way to go!

So I have a few questions:
1) I read there are now some 'passive' soundbars that would require me to continue using my external amp (a Denon 789 AVR). What is the point of these? Is the performance significantly better than soundbars with integrated amplifiers?
2) Is there any reason to stick to a soundbar that is the same brand as my TV (Vizio) or do they all play together nicely?
3) My budget is pretty flexible, what should I look for in say the $500 range?

I also see that many soundbars come with a subwoofer and even surround speakers. I would be 50/50 on using the sub but it would be doubtful I would use any of the satellite speakers. Oh how I miss the days of having a house in the country...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #932 of 946 Old 10-12-2014, 12:29 PM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I recently moved out of my large 2br apartment out in the suburbs to my girlfriends tiny 550sq 1br apartment downtown. While I was able to bring my TV stand and 60" Vizio TV, I don't have any room for my old 5.0 setup. (Ascend Acoustics 340 towers for LCR and 170 bookshelves for surrounds).

Space is so tight that I don't see any option to even keep my old bookshelves for front LR speakers since they won't fit on my TV stand and there is really no room for speaker stands to the side. Thus I think a soundbar is the way to go!

So I have a few questions:
1) I read there are now some 'passive' soundbars that would require me to continue using my external amp (a Denon 789 AVR). What is the point of these? Is the performance significantly better than soundbars with integrated amplifiers?
2) Is there any reason to stick to a soundbar that is the same brand as my TV (Vizio) or do they all play together nicely?
3) My budget is pretty flexible, what should I look for in say the $500 range?

I also see that many soundbars come with a subwoofer and even surround speakers. I would be 50/50 on using the sub but it would be doubtful I would use any of the satellite speakers. Oh how I miss the days of having a house in the country...
I would suggest the Harman Kardon SB 26, a really great sound bar! I live in a condo and it is perfect.
post #933 of 946 Old 10-14-2014, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Think I've narrowed it down to these two soundbases.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...12978-pdt.html
or

http://uk.maxell.eu/en/products/maxe...b-250-570.aspx

Both products are price competitive, however I can get the Logik model at half it's listed price on that site.

This will straight out from a television either over RCA or 3.5mm jack.
Clarity and volume is more important than bass to me, though I cannot determine between the two which will be more likely to achieve that.

Thoughts?
post #934 of 946 Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxette Rose View Post
Think I've narrowed it down to these two soundbases.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...12978-pdt.html
or

http://uk.maxell.eu/en/products/maxe...b-250-570.aspx

Both products are price competitive, however I can get the Logik model at half it's listed price on that site.

This will straight out from a television either over RCA or 3.5mm jack.
Clarity and volume is more important than bass to me, though I cannot determine between the two which will be more likely to achieve that.

Thoughts?
Those links are for a UK site, and from what I can tell the Maxell's are not widely known in the USA. Neither is Logik. Not sure what TV you're hooking-up to, but in this age of a/v streaming quickly growing the lack of the bluetooth feature is a deal breaker for me. Also, all the connections on the Maxell are analog, with no digital options. Not good either in my books. Maybe you don't require these things/features now, but when purchasing any A/V gear, I always try to do at least a little bit of future-proofing to avoid total obsolescence.
post #935 of 946 Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Those links are for a UK site, and from what I can tell the Maxell's are not widely known in the USA. Neither is Logik. Not sure what TV you're hooking-up to, but in this age of a/v streaming quickly growing the lack of the bluetooth feature is a deal breaker for me. Also, all the connections on the Maxell are analog, with no digital options. Not good either in my books. Maybe you don't require these things/features now, but when purchasing any A/V gear, I always try to do at least a little bit of future-proofing to avoid total obsolescence.
Agreed. I will go with the Logik. My plan is to have the media streaming box running S/PDIF out to the RCAs on the sound bar, and then the television will use it's 3.5mm headphone out to the soundbar.
post #936 of 946 Old 10-15-2014, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Smile Soundbar

Hello, I have a corner setup (please see attached image), with the TV angled towards the centre of the room. The TV stand sits parallel to the wall next to a fireplace.

Could someone please advise if a soundbar would be a good idea with this room setup, bearing in mind the soundbar won't be pointing in the same direction as the TV, i.e. it will sit straight on a stand and therefore be angled at approximately 20-35 degrees to the left pointing directly at the opposite wall.

Also, where would the best position be for the subwoofer placement?

Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	313258  
post #937 of 946 Old 10-23-2014, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxette Rose View Post
Agreed. I will go with the Logik. My plan is to have the media streaming box running S/PDIF out to the RCAs on the sound bar, and then the television will use it's 3.5mm headphone out to the soundbar.
I went with the Logik. It is basic, has L/R RCA, optical, headphone and DAB. I'm using it in conjunction with a small media player box which has an AV and S/PDIF out. The S/PDIF is actually a 3.5mm jack that you plug in a mix cable, which has RCAs on the other end. I have it set to running 2.1, with some upmixing via my device. It does fairly well, noticeably better than the television speakers. There's several EQ presets which sound like they should.

I don't believe it offers any DTS, DT or AC3 type decoding.

For what is roughly $40, I think it was worth it.
post #938 of 946 Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I haven't been able to find an answer in this thread after pouring through it for one of the original questions. Is there a soundbar made that is passive? I have an extra AVR in the cabinet below my flat panel and I would like to use it with a sound bar. I also have an extra subwoofer so this setup is ideal. Are there any passive sound bars offered today? Also, if passive is not available, what very small speakers are out there that are as small as the Gallo's but not in the same price class? I only need this for clarity of the spoken word as I am old and my flat panel speakers are not good and it's hard to hear the diction.

Jack
post #939 of 946 Old 10-27-2014, 08:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not very experienced with these things so let me know if I need to post elsewhere. I have a 12' x 12' bedroom and don't want an expensive soundbar to go with my Samsung 39 inch.

The only thing I want is good bass, the speakers in my TV have none at all, and I don't need a sub-woofer. I'd like to stay under 90.

I looked at a bunch online, but for some reason no reviews said it. Just that the sound was either good or bad, nothing about bass.
post #940 of 946 Old 11-03-2014, 01:03 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 79 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkWonderGirl View Post
I am not very experienced with these things so let me know if I need to post elsewhere. I have a 12' x 12' bedroom and don't want an expensive soundbar to go with my Samsung 39 inch.

The only thing I want is good bass, the speakers in my TV have none at all, and I don't need a sub-woofer. I'd like to stay under 90.

I looked at a bunch online, but for some reason no reviews said it. Just that the sound was either good or bad, nothing about bass.
Unfortunately this might be a very tall order, a soundbar alone is going to have small speakers and thus not be able to produce much bass without a sub-woofer which is why most of them offer one as an option. The addition of a soundbar will give you much better sound when it comes to vocals and some will give you a surround sound effect.
post #941 of 946 Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 AM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
help please!!

Need help please! I have an lg 47lk520 tv. When I hook up my current soundbar (Polk audio 3000) there is no sound when using an antenna (hoping to drop cable) with the sound bar. Been told it's because "Your TV will output 2 channel PCM from its optical out when using any input except the TV's internal tuner. When using the TV's internal tuner to the TV will output 5.1 from its optical out." And the Polk is pcm only, no way to change audio settings on TV to Pcm.

Any recommendations for a soundbar/panel, etc? Must be connected via optical cable as there are no other audio outs.

Anyone interested in a Polk Audio 3000?

Last edited by Boodel; 11-04-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: More info on post
post #942 of 946 Old 11-21-2014, 01:43 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I am possibly looking for a new soundbar

right now I have the Sony ct150, I have my TV plugged into the arc hdmi port, and in the 3 hdmi inputs I have my cable box, ps3 and popcorn hour media player

So I'm looking for something that is the same size as this bar as I have limited space and let's me setup my equipment in pretty much the same way

Also a very important thing is I want to be able to use my fios cable remote to control volume and power

The ct150 let me do this only thing I needed the ct150 remote for is to change inputs and that's fine

Any recommendations greatly appreciated
post #943 of 946 Old 11-22-2014, 07:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
nm narrowed down what i wanted.

Last edited by twitchyzero; 11-23-2014 at 01:08 AM.
post #944 of 946 Old 11-23-2014, 07:56 AM
Advanced Member

Sony HT-CT370 or Samsung HW-H450? I've been doing some research on getting the Samsung to go with my Samsung tv in my bedroom. The more I researched the more I saw that the Samsung 1) Has a problem with 5.1 from Netflix; 2) Trouble remaining on the last input when turning on; and 3) Subwoofer not that good.

Those three problem led me to looking into the Sony. I haven't found any widespread problems with the Sony, but maybe I've missed something. If so, what is it? The Sony is on sale, plus I still have the option of the Sony Card which would save even more making the Sony cheaper than the Samsung.

Thanks
post #945 of 946 Old 11-23-2014, 09:13 AM

I'm looking to buy a soundbar as a gift, price range between $50 and $150, though I'd like to stay around $100 if possible. I know that's at the low end of the range.

I have almost zero experience with audio equipment, so I don't really even know what I'm looking for. Any suggestions would be appreciated, I'd prefer to buy online but if anyone knows of a good deal at a brick and mortar store that's also an option (I live in a large city).

The person that will be getting this is not really tech savvy, so features like bluetooth would just never get used, all that matters is the sound quality and that it can be hooked up to a TV. Use would be movies and regular TV. The TV is on the long wall of a room that's roughly 30x13 (don't remember the exact dimenions so I'm guessing).

A quick newegg search turned up these as potential options, but I'm by no means limited to that. I'll consider anything within the budget, but this is a gift so used or open box stuff isn't really an option.

Klipsch Power Bar Elite ($150 on sale from $600???)

Samsung HW-F355/ZA ($120 shipped, also on sale from $600)

Pyle PSBV200BT ($120)

Panasonic SC-HTB370 ($150)

Suggestions? I also don't really know of common home audio retailers, I just started with newegg since I'm familiar with it.
post #946 of 946 Old 11-23-2014, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 18
Do any of these soundbars come with an adaptor that lets you attach it to the bottom of the TV. I have a panel hanging from the wall via a swing-able arm so there are plenty of options to attach on the arm end.

Jack
Reply Soundbars