Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 32 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #931 of 943 Old 10-12-2014, 12:12 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Smitty2k1's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Location: Washington DC
Posts: 1,038
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 12
To soundbar or not to soundbar?

I recently moved out of my large 2br apartment out in the suburbs to my girlfriends tiny 550sq 1br apartment downtown. While I was able to bring my TV stand and 60" Vizio TV, I don't have any room for my old 5.0 setup. (Ascend Acoustics 340 towers for LCR and 170 bookshelves for surrounds).

Space is so tight that I don't see any option to even keep my old bookshelves for front LR speakers since they won't fit on my TV stand and there is really no room for speaker stands to the side. Thus I think a soundbar is the way to go!

So I have a few questions:
1) I read there are now some 'passive' soundbars that would require me to continue using my external amp (a Denon 789 AVR). What is the point of these? Is the performance significantly better than soundbars with integrated amplifiers?
2) Is there any reason to stick to a soundbar that is the same brand as my TV (Vizio) or do they all play together nicely?
3) My budget is pretty flexible, what should I look for in say the $500 range?

I also see that many soundbars come with a subwoofer and even surround speakers. I would be 50/50 on using the sub but it would be doubtful I would use any of the satellite speakers. Oh how I miss the days of having a house in the country...
Smitty2k1 is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #932 of 943 Old 10-12-2014, 12:29 PM
Senior Member
 
gp-se's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Ontario, Canada
Posts: 232
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smitty2k1 View Post
I recently moved out of my large 2br apartment out in the suburbs to my girlfriends tiny 550sq 1br apartment downtown. While I was able to bring my TV stand and 60" Vizio TV, I don't have any room for my old 5.0 setup. (Ascend Acoustics 340 towers for LCR and 170 bookshelves for surrounds).

Space is so tight that I don't see any option to even keep my old bookshelves for front LR speakers since they won't fit on my TV stand and there is really no room for speaker stands to the side. Thus I think a soundbar is the way to go!

So I have a few questions:
1) I read there are now some 'passive' soundbars that would require me to continue using my external amp (a Denon 789 AVR). What is the point of these? Is the performance significantly better than soundbars with integrated amplifiers?
2) Is there any reason to stick to a soundbar that is the same brand as my TV (Vizio) or do they all play together nicely?
3) My budget is pretty flexible, what should I look for in say the $500 range?

I also see that many soundbars come with a subwoofer and even surround speakers. I would be 50/50 on using the sub but it would be doubtful I would use any of the satellite speakers. Oh how I miss the days of having a house in the country...
I would suggest the Harman Kardon SB 26, a really great sound bar! I live in a condo and it is perfect.
gp-se is offline  
post #933 of 943 Old 10-14-2014, 06:16 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Think I've narrowed it down to these two soundbases.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...12978-pdt.html
or

http://uk.maxell.eu/en/products/maxe...b-250-570.aspx

Both products are price competitive, however I can get the Logik model at half it's listed price on that site.

This will straight out from a television either over RCA or 3.5mm jack.
Clarity and volume is more important than bass to me, though I cannot determine between the two which will be more likely to achieve that.

Thoughts?
Roxette Rose is offline  
post #934 of 943 Old 10-14-2014, 10:39 PM
AVS Special Member
 
cajieboy's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
Location: Space Coast, Florida
Posts: 4,430
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 75 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxette Rose View Post
Think I've narrowed it down to these two soundbases.

http://www.currys.co.uk/gbuk/tv-dvd-...12978-pdt.html
or

http://uk.maxell.eu/en/products/maxe...b-250-570.aspx

Both products are price competitive, however I can get the Logik model at half it's listed price on that site.

This will straight out from a television either over RCA or 3.5mm jack.
Clarity and volume is more important than bass to me, though I cannot determine between the two which will be more likely to achieve that.

Thoughts?
Those links are for a UK site, and from what I can tell the Maxell's are not widely known in the USA. Neither is Logik. Not sure what TV you're hooking-up to, but in this age of a/v streaming quickly growing the lack of the bluetooth feature is a deal breaker for me. Also, all the connections on the Maxell are analog, with no digital options. Not good either in my books. Maybe you don't require these things/features now, but when purchasing any A/V gear, I always try to do at least a little bit of future-proofing to avoid total obsolescence.
cajieboy is offline  
post #935 of 943 Old 10-15-2014, 10:58 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Those links are for a UK site, and from what I can tell the Maxell's are not widely known in the USA. Neither is Logik. Not sure what TV you're hooking-up to, but in this age of a/v streaming quickly growing the lack of the bluetooth feature is a deal breaker for me. Also, all the connections on the Maxell are analog, with no digital options. Not good either in my books. Maybe you don't require these things/features now, but when purchasing any A/V gear, I always try to do at least a little bit of future-proofing to avoid total obsolescence.
Agreed. I will go with the Logik. My plan is to have the media streaming box running S/PDIF out to the RCAs on the sound bar, and then the television will use it's 3.5mm headphone out to the soundbar.
Roxette Rose is offline  
post #936 of 943 Old 10-15-2014, 04:01 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Oct 2014
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Smile Soundbar

Hello, I have a corner setup (please see attached image), with the TV angled towards the centre of the room. The TV stand sits parallel to the wall next to a fireplace.


Could someone please advise if a soundbar would be a good idea with this room setup, bearing in mind the soundbar won't be pointing in the same direction as the TV, i.e. it will sit straight on a stand and therefore be angled at approximately 20-35 degrees to the left pointing directly at the opposite wall.


Also, where would the best position be for the subwoofer placement?


Thank you in advance.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Untitled.jpg
Views:	48
Size:	58.8 KB
ID:	313258  
ms400001 is offline  
post #937 of 943 Old 10-23-2014, 02:48 PM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roxette Rose View Post
Agreed. I will go with the Logik. My plan is to have the media streaming box running S/PDIF out to the RCAs on the sound bar, and then the television will use it's 3.5mm headphone out to the soundbar.
I went with the Logik. It is basic, has L/R RCA, optical, headphone and DAB. I'm using it in conjunction with a small media player box which has an AV and S/PDIF out. The S/PDIF is actually a 3.5mm jack that you plug in a mix cable, which has RCAs on the other end. I have it set to running 2.1, with some upmixing via my device. It does fairly well, noticeably better than the television speakers. There's several EQ presets which sound like they should.

I don't believe it offers any DTS, DT or AC3 type decoding.

For what is roughly $40, I think it was worth it.
Roxette Rose is offline  
post #938 of 943 Old 10-24-2014, 07:05 PM
AVS Special Member
 
JackB's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 1999
Location: Pauma Valley, CA USA
Posts: 1,826
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 18
I haven't been able to find an answer in this thread after pouring through it for one of the original questions. Is there a soundbar made that is passive? I have an extra AVR in the cabinet below my flat panel and I would like to use it with a sound bar. I also have an extra subwoofer so this setup is ideal. Are there any passive sound bars offered today? Also, if passive is not available, what very small speakers are out there that are as small as the Gallo's but not in the same price class? I only need this for clarity of the spoken word as I am old and my flat panel speakers are not good and it's hard to hear the diction.

Jack
JackB is offline  
post #939 of 943 Old 10-27-2014, 08:13 PM
Member
 
PinkWonderGirl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: The worst place ever
Posts: 26
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am not very experienced with these things so let me know if I need to post elsewhere. I have a 12' x 12' bedroom and don't want an expensive soundbar to go with my Samsung 39 inch.

The only thing I want is good bass, the speakers in my TV have none at all, and I don't need a sub-woofer. I'd like to stay under 90.

I looked at a bunch online, but for some reason no reviews said it. Just that the sound was either good or bad, nothing about bass.
PinkWonderGirl is offline  
post #940 of 943 Old 11-03-2014, 01:03 AM
Senior Member
 
funhouse69's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 392
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 73 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Quote:
Originally Posted by PinkWonderGirl View Post
I am not very experienced with these things so let me know if I need to post elsewhere. I have a 12' x 12' bedroom and don't want an expensive soundbar to go with my Samsung 39 inch.

The only thing I want is good bass, the speakers in my TV have none at all, and I don't need a sub-woofer. I'd like to stay under 90.

I looked at a bunch online, but for some reason no reviews said it. Just that the sound was either good or bad, nothing about bass.
Unfortunately this might be a very tall order, a soundbar alone is going to have small speakers and thus not be able to produce much bass without a sub-woofer which is why most of them offer one as an option. The addition of a soundbar will give you much better sound when it comes to vocals and some will give you a surround sound effect.
funhouse69 is offline  
post #941 of 943 Old 11-03-2014, 08:20 AM
Newbie
 
Join Date: Nov 2014
Posts: 11
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 0
help please!!

Need help please! I have an lg 47lk520 tv. When I hook up my current soundbar (Polk audio 3000) there is no sound when using an antenna (hoping to drop cable) with the sound bar. Been told it's because "Your TV will output 2 channel PCM from its optical out when using any input except the TV's internal tuner. When using the TV's internal tuner to the TV will output 5.1 from its optical out." And the Polk is pcm only, no way to change audio settings on TV to Pcm.

Any recommendations for a soundbar/panel, etc? Must be connected via optical cable as there are no other audio outs.

Anyone interested in a Polk Audio 3000?

Last edited by Boodel; 11-04-2014 at 06:40 PM. Reason: More info on post
Boodel is offline  
post #942 of 943 Old Yesterday, 01:43 PM
Member
 
iamloco724's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 162
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am possibly looking for a new soundbar

right now I have the Sony ct150, I have my TV plugged into the arc hdmi port, and in the 3 hdmi inputs I have my cable box, ps3 and popcorn hour media player

So I'm looking for something that is the same size as this bar as I have limited space and let's me setup my equipment in pretty much the same way


Also a very important thing is I want to be able to use my fios cable remote to control volume and power


The ct150 let me do this only thing I needed the ct150 remote for is to change inputs and that's fine


Any recommendations greatly appreciated
iamloco724 is offline  
post #943 of 943 Old Today, 07:46 PM
Member
 
twitchyzero's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Location: Vancouver BC, Canada
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 10
need recommendations...gonna buy a Samsung 64" plasma...sound bases are too small to fit underneath the display but I wont be buying a full-fledged surround setup.

This is primarily for movies/TV so I need tight/thunderous bass for films and good mid range for dialogues

Sony HT-XT1 vs Samsung HW-H600

Sony: better spec'd, more features

Trustedreviews.com said Samsung has better audio performance..

Price aside, which one would you pick and why?

Last edited by twitchyzero; Today at 09:04 PM.
twitchyzero is online now  
Reply Soundbars



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off