post #961 of 985 Old 12-05-2014, 12:36 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post
Nice. So question: The Yamaha has an Optical input? And the optical is just as good audibly as HDMI?
Optical, coaxial & HDMI shouldn't be any different sound quality wise (especially for a soundbar) The only thing to watch for is the"dumbing down" of the stream if you are routing sound through the TV. Some will only pass the signal through as 2 channel stereo. My TV only passes stereo through the optical , so I have all audio devices connected directly to the soundbar (coaxial for Blu-Ray & optical for Fios) to get a pure digital stream.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #962 of 985 Old 12-05-2014, 12:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 47 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digital Rules View Post
Optical, coaxial & HDMI shouldn't be any different sound quality wise (especially for a soundbar) The only thing to watch for is the"dumbing down" of the stream if you are routing sound through the TV. Some will only pass the signal through as 2 channel stereo. My TV only passes stereo through the optical , so I have all audio devices connected directly to the soundbar (coaxial for Blu-Ray & optical for Fios) to get a pure digital stream.
I'd be going U-Verse > TV > Soundbar
post #963 of 985 Old 12-05-2014, 12:57 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Quote:
My 2 cents. The best low/moderate volume soundbar I have heard is with the built in sub. (sorry, no HDMI) The wife says it has too much bass, so turns it down when I am not watching. It is by far the best bass & tonal balance I have heard from an all in one unit. Dialogue is perfectly weighted & sounds sooooo good. (a biggie for me)

Recently tried the Vizio 54" 3.0 & Andrew Jones Pioneer soundbars & they both pretty much suck overall & don' hold a candle to the Yamaha with low to moderate volume listening. The Vizio's internal bass is crap & the volume jumps WAY TOO MUCH with each click of the remote. The Pioneer is just terrible with dialogue & has only one optical input (WTF) Both units have both been returned.

You can get pretty much at Costco for half the price, but not sure if you are a member.
Thanks for the advice! After posting this I had gone to BestBuy to listen to that Yamaha, the Yamaha YSP-1400, Sonos Playbar, and the Vizio 5.1 setup. With each one something or another was really throwing off the sound and they didn't sound right. The yamaha for example was really lacking in the mid-midlow frequencies. So after walking around the store for a while with a Magnoliga rep helping to find some other options, he showed me a few things outside my initial price range and one of them blew me away. We were able to find a crazy good deal on the Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR Soundbar (msrp $1600 -$2000) which I was able to order at its sale price (back ordered for a few days unfortunately). Dialogue is crystal clear with the ability to independently control the center channel and with the 6 mid's it delivered very nice mid and low range all around combined with the wireless sub. Only downsides of it is that it does not support ARC and that it does not have bluetooth so I'll have to run everything through the bar then to the tv (except for the tv apps which i'll send to the bar via optical to get 5.1).

I didn't listen to any of the other magnolia high quality bars priced over $1k, however, from just my time in the store the DT bar has been the best bar I've heard to date.

Anyone else owned or still use a DT SoloCinema XTR?
post #964 of 985 Old 12-05-2014, 01:04 PM

The only complaints I've read about the DT SoloCinema XTR is with a percentage of the buyers, the bar just quits out and dies after 30 minutes to an hour within its first use. Although it would be an inconvenience, I know that I could swap it out for a another new one on the same day at BestBuy for the first year I own it. In addition, I believe DT provides a 3 year warranty anyway so this would cover the replacement of the bar if this were to happen down the road. I think the quality of the bar is well worth it.
post #965 of 985 Old 12-05-2014, 01:45 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just upgraded my TV from the Panny 58V10 to the Samsung 64 F8500. The speakers on the Samsung are crap. I was fine with the 58V10 speakers but I can't get the Samsung to sound even remotely decent.

As a result I am looking for a soundbar. I don't have the space to put speakers on the side of the TV or I would look at a 2.1 setup.

My main goal is just to get better sound than I get with the stock speakers. We watch more TV through FiOS/TiVo and only the occasional movie. We almost never listen to music unless we put on Pandora through TiVo or a concert or live performance recorded off the TV.

I definitely want to keep it below $250 max. Any suggestions?
post #966 of 985 Old 12-06-2014, 06:37 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrd5005 View Post
After posting this I had gone to BestBuy to listen to that Yamaha, the Yamaha YSP-1400. . . . The yamaha for example was really lacking in the mid-midlow frequencies.
I agree, I too thought the dialogue was a bit thin on the 1400 when I heard it at Best Buy.

The less expensive Yamaha at Costco I was referring to has much better weighting on those frequencies IMO.
post #967 of 985 Old 12-06-2014, 09:31 AM

Quote:
I agree, I too thought the dialogue was a bit thin on the 1400 when I heard it at Best Buy.

The less expensive Yamaha at Costco I was referring to has much better weighting on those frequencies IMO.
What bar did you end up going with for your setup Digital Rules?
post #968 of 985 Old 12-06-2014, 10:11 AM

It's a funny thing with sound that, and I only have a glimpse of understanding because both my brother and his friends do sound for concerts, is how undervalued it is. People spend thousands of dollars on Televisions and then aren't willing to dish out more than $200 on a sound system to go with it. Not realizing that part of what makes all viewing experiences engaging and why seeing something in an IMAX, typically, is many times better than a normal movie theater or at home, is because you have both amazing Visual and Audio components working seamlessly together.

Granted, I'm just as guilty of this because when I got my UN65H7150 (msrp $3,299.99) for $1500 at bestbuy I said I didn't want to spend more than like $250 on sound. Now after spending just $250 on the sound, its really easy to tell how drastically out of proportion the sound is to the viewing quality of the TV with the soundbar I currently have. Many people who do truly value the true aspects of sound, and correct me if I'm wrong, end up over the years assembling a system that is often times 2-5 times more expensive than the TV that is being used with it. Both my brother and his friend for example have over $3000 and $4000 respectively in audio components alone that are hooked up with TV's that cost under a $1000. And most of that money is spent into quality, not bass which is what most of the cheaper soundbars on the market are using as their main advertisement point.

The tricky thing after viewing many of the posts in this thread is people looking for cure all soundbar for under $250 or $500 or $750 which I think is a very difficult task after testing out many of the available options today. My favorite bar so far under $400 would be the Samsung HW-H550. This is the bar I currently have and I am relatively happy with it, minus how voices and dialogue get out of proportions to the sound and music at lowest listening volumes at night time. At mid to high volumes it's great, but not everyone lives alone in a detached house where they don't have to worry about waking up kids/neighbors/parents.

As Digital Rules suggested, for people like myself who live in a condo or apartment and who have neighbors, we aren't necessarily looking for room shaking bass. For this a possible better option is to look at stand-alone bars such as the Yamaha that Digital linked or maybe something similar to a Sonos but it's an individual preference of how each sounds. With my bar I have the sub turned all the way down to -6.

I had to go outside my initial price range, but for what I'm currently planning on picking up in a few days after it's back in stock is a $1599 bar that i got for $799 ($1999 msrp). The different between this bar and a Sonos playbar alone is mind blowing in the clarity of the sound it produces. Kind of a long post but that's my two cents on the topic and advising being to consider spending a little more to get a product that is going to make you smile after it's plugged in rather than something that is going to make you smile on the way home because you got it for under $200.

(There are probably numerous grammatical errors in here and I apologize (maybe even in this sentence lol). I'm sure I'll notice ten of them right after I post this and I'd fix them but I cannot edit my posts yet.)
post #969 of 985 Old 12-06-2014, 02:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
It's a funny thing with sound that, and I only have a glimpse of understanding because both my brother and his friends do sound for concerts, is how undervalued it is. People spend thousands of dollars on Televisions and then aren't willing to dish out more than $200 on a sound system to go with it. Not realizing that part of what makes all viewing experiences engaging and why seeing something in an IMAX, typically, is many times better than a normal movie theater or at home, is because you have both amazing Visual and Audio components working seamlessly together.

Granted, I'm just as guilty of this because when I got my UN65H7150 (msrp $3,299.99) for $1500 at bestbuy I said I didn't want to spend more than like $250 on sound. Now after spending just $250 on the sound, its really easy to tell how drastically out of proportion the sound is to the viewing quality of the TV with the soundbar I currently have. Many people who do truly value the true aspects of sound, and correct me if I'm wrong, end up over the years assembling a system that is often times 2-5 times more expensive than the TV that is being used with it. Both my brother and his friend for example have over $3000 and $4000 respectively in audio components alone that are hooked up with TV's that cost under a $1000. And most of that money is spent into quality, not bass which is what most of the cheaper soundbars on the market are using as their main advertisement point.

The tricky thing after viewing many of the posts in this thread is people looking for cure all soundbar for under $250 or $500 or $750 which I think is a very difficult task after testing out many of the available options today. My favorite bar so far under $400 would be the Samsung HW-H550. This is the bar I currently have and I am relatively happy with it, minus how voices and dialogue get out of proportions to the sound and music at lowest listening volumes at night time. At mid to high volumes it's great, but not everyone lives alone in a detached house where they don't have to worry about waking up kids/neighbors/parents.

As Digital Rules suggested, for people like myself who live in a condo or apartment and who have neighbors, we aren't necessarily looking for room shaking bass. For this a possible better option is to look at stand-alone bars such as the Yamaha that Digital linked or maybe something similar to a Sonos but it's an individual preference of how each sounds. With my bar I have the sub turned all the way down to -6.

I had to go outside my initial price range, but for what I'm currently planning on picking up in a few days after it's back in stock is a $1599 bar that i got for $799 ($1999 msrp). The different between this bar and a Sonos playbar alone is mind blowing in the clarity of the sound it produces. Kind of a long post but that's my two cents on the topic and advising being to consider spending a little more to get a product that is going to make you smile after it's plugged in rather than something that is going to make you smile on the way home because you got it for under $200.

(There are probably numerous grammatical errors in here and I apologize (maybe even in this sentence lol). I'm sure I'll notice ten of them right after I post this and I'd fix them but I cannot edit my posts yet.)
Which bar did you get?
post #970 of 985 Old 12-06-2014, 02:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
What bar did you end up going with for your setup Digital Rules?
Still using the Yamaha YAS-101.
post #971 of 985 Old 12-06-2014, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ewingr View Post
Quote:

Which bar did you get?
I ended up getting a Definitive Technology SoloCinema XTR
post #972 of 985 Old 12-11-2014, 04:35 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Just wondering if anyone has an idea which sound bar I should look for regarding my post. I'm clueless on in depth sound and audio quality
post #973 of 985 Old 12-12-2014, 10:05 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
I sold my Yamaha AVR some time ago and put away my home theater speakers because I thought I was going to sell my house and move to a condo or apartment. So I decided I needed to downsize. After quite awhile of nothing but TV speakers and not selling the house, I decided to research soundbars. I found a Yamaha ATS 1520 refurbished on Amazon, which they still sell, for $170. It really has quite amazing sound! It has 2 full range drivers and 2 built in subwoofers and bluetooth which I love. Plus if the subs don't supply enough bass for you, and it's not room shaking bass, then you can hook up an external sub, which is what I did. I connected my HSU STF-1, and I've got more bass than I know what to do with. Since I haven't sold my house, I have been thinking about going back to my 5.1 setup and getting a new AVR, but everytime I think about it, I put in a bluray, and the great sounds coming out of my Yamaha soundbar bring me back to earth.
post #974 of 985 Old 12-13-2014, 05:55 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 234 Post(s)
Liked: 168
Im trying to decide between the Samsung F550 and H450. I have a Samsung 51" F8500 plasma and will be using the stand which is very low.

So Im wondering what the differences are between these two are. Do they use the same Sound Bar? Do the woofers make that much difference? Can you use the Sound Bar without the Sub turned on (will you get full range from the Sound Bar?)

Thanks.

Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"

Last edited by EscapeVelocity; 12-13-2014 at 09:22 PM.
post #975 of 985 Old 12-13-2014, 06:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by brennok View Post
I just upgraded my TV from the Panny 58V10 to the Samsung 64 F8500. The speakers on the Samsung are crap. I was fine with the 58V10 speakers but I can't get the Samsung to sound even remotely decent.

As a result I am looking for a soundbar. I don't have the space to put speakers on the side of the TV or I would look at a 2.1 setup.

My main goal is just to get better sound than I get with the stock speakers. We watch more TV through FiOS/TiVo and only the occasional movie. We almost never listen to music unless we put on Pandora through TiVo or a concert or live performance recorded off the TV.

I definitely want to keep it below $250 max. Any suggestions?
There are advantages to staying in house with Samsung Soundbars with regards to integration with the set. I have the 51F8500 and am also looking for a soundbar. Im looking at the 2013 Sammy F550 & the 2014 H450.

Samsung 51F8500 Plasma / Vizio VP322 Plasma / Vizio GV42LF LCD / Denon 2200 Silicon Image DVD / Panasonic S97 Faroudja Genesis DVD / Oppo 970HD Mediatek DVD / Oppo 983H Anchor Bay DVD / Panasonic LX-600 Laserdisc / Aiwa MX100 Multi-region VCR / JVC S7600 S-VHS / PS2 / Roku 2 XS & HD-XR / Realistic STA-90 Reciever / Realistic Minimus 7 / Antennacraft G1483 Hoverman / Belden 7915A RG6 / Channel Master 7777 Titan 2 UHF/VHF / Panasonic AX-200u / Optoma Graywolf 92" / Draper Luma 92"
post #976 of 985 Old 12-13-2014, 09:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by EscapeVelocity View Post
Im trying to decide between the Samsung F550 and H550.(will you get full range from the Sound Bar?)
I can't imagine the sound would be full range w/o the sub. It's just too thin to have any low mid depth on its own.
post #977 of 985 Old 12-13-2014, 09:22 PM
AVS Special Member

I think Im probably going with the F550.

Last edited by EscapeVelocity; 12-14-2014 at 10:28 AM.
post #978 of 985 Old 12-14-2014, 07:43 PM

Liked: 0
Hello all,

Very new to sound bars and audio equipment in general. I'm looking for a sound bar that will be used with an Intel NUC that is able to decode DTS and similar formats. Is there a way to do this?:

Intel NUC -> Sound bar via HDMI -> HDTV via HDMI

I was thinking of getting the Philips HTL9100 however it requires a HDTV with HDMI ARC which I do not have. If I do purchase this sound bar does my connection have to be as follow?

Intel NUC -> HDTV via HDMI -> Sound bar via coaxial cable

If so, is there a sound difference between HDMI and coaxial? Also my TV is the TCL L50B2800F which does have an option in the audio menu called "SPDIF Mode" with the following options "Auto" and "PCM". No idea what that means.

Cheers.
post #979 of 985 Old 12-16-2014, 12:28 PM

Frnds,

My apologies for being one more jerk.

I went through the full thread and got myself more confused

Planning to go in for a sound bar under $450 and i simply want the best that i could get for that money. I totally confused wat to go with, any help/guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

- Ram
post #980 of 985 Old 12-17-2014, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamKrish0404 View Post
Frnds,

My apologies for being one more jerk.

I went through the full thread and got myself more confused

Planning to go in for a sound bar under $450 and i simply want the best that i could get for that money. I totally confused wat to go with, any help/guidelines would be greatly appreciated.

- Ram
Guys,

Any though on Yamaha YAS203BL?
post #981 of 985 Old 12-17-2014, 12:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamKrish0404 View Post
Guys,

Any though on Yamaha YAS203BL?
Frnds,

I have ordered Nakamichi NK22 but still thinking to switch to Yamaha YAS203 based on the reviews.

Any thoughts would be of much help.

- Ram
post #982 of 985 Old 12-17-2014, 11:36 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
sound bar

do you self a favor go to a home theater dealer and listen then buy i started out with the yamaha ysp 800 series and loved it at least found the sound rather dynamic i wanted blue tooth i bought a crappy sound bar from fred myers then bought a viso sound bar from a yard sale it was not horrible but not as good as the ysp i bought the pioneer sound bar design by paul some boay that was horible very flat i returned that and bought a klipsch sb1 thinking horn drivers would be bright not so but to be fair the subwoofer is not working sound is in part a emotional experience there is a polk speaker set with wireless sub woofer witch in the store sounded good both the pioneer and the klipsch received good reviews on cnet
post #983 of 985 Old Yesterday, 08:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drwho2012 View Post
do you self a favor go to a home theater dealer and listen then buy i started out with the yamaha ysp 800 series and loved it at least found the sound rather dynamic i wanted blue tooth i bought a crappy sound bar from fred myers then bought a viso sound bar from a yard sale it was not horrible but not as good as the ysp i bought the pioneer sound bar design by paul some boay that was horible very flat i returned that and bought a klipsch sb1 thinking horn drivers would be bright not so but to be fair the subwoofer is not working sound is in part a emotional experience there is a polk speaker set with wireless sub woofer witch in the store sounded good both the pioneer and the klipsch received good reviews on cnet
Any idea where we could find this in display to test?
post #984 of 985 Old Yesterday, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
youll have to google for shops in your home town best buy has a few sound bars the older ysp Yamaha sound bars 800 -900 series sounded great there main difference was the actually had multiple drivers and the newer one do not any more the klispch sb1 sounds good now that the sub is functioning
post #985 of 985 Old Today, 11:15 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Samsung vs. pioneer

Folks,

I have a Samsung 60" F8500 plasma and am looking to hook up a soundbar. This is in our bedroom, so don't need earth shaking sound, just good clean sound, especially dialogues in movies and HD TV shows. I am torn between the Samsung HW-F550/ZA and the Pioneer SB-SP23W. Both are about the same price ~ $375 and my budget is $400. I have heard them both and they both sound very good to me, albeit in a store setting.

Are there significant advantages to staying with Samsung because of the Samsung TV? Are there any significant adbantages to the Pioneer? Any input/suggestions are much appreciated.
Reply Soundbars