Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 36 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 5Likes

post #1051 of 1055 Old 08-30-2015, 07:12 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbW View Post
I just picked up a H7501 (Silver) on the big A site yesterday as it was down from $289 to $240 (that's instabuy territory for me) and even though I have the UN65HU8550 Flat, I'm looking forward to seeing if I can make this work as an interim upgrade until we can get the GoldenEar proper home theatre that I'm saving for right now.

Interestingly, I noticed the price was back up to $289 today so not sure why it dropped for such a short time but was glad to be in the right place/right time...for once!

Reviews have indeed seemed positive and while I'm not delusional and expecting it to compete with true high end soundbars, it seems like it should provide a nice bump over the stock TV speakers and should certainly be a nice mid-level upgrade at a good price.

I'll try to report back with impressions once it's up and running. Anyone interested may want to watch that site like a hawk as the price has been fluctuating like the stock market lately. I've been watching it for a while and it was around $329 the week before and closer to $400 a few weeks ago.

RobbW
How did this work out for you? I am buying a curved sound bar, but possibly putting it on a flat Samsung as well.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1052 of 1055 Old Yesterday, 04:58 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Looking to buy a soundbar for ~$300 to go with a 50" Vizio (probably mounting). Only must have is bluetooth. Ideally comes with wireless or built in sub. Any thoughts? Thanks!
post #1053 of 1055 Old Today, 12:03 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by tico1028 View Post
How did this work out for you? I am buying a curved sound bar, but possibly putting it on a flat Samsung as well.
Well, I pushed my UN65HU8550 back a tiny bit and have the 7501 sitting in front of the TV and on top of the stand, with a tiny portion of the very back center of the soundbar resting snugly just a few millimeters under the bottom of the TV.

Certainly, it's not a perfect match as if I had the curved set, but it's an extremely good pairing nonetheless, and the short height of the soundbar is extremely unobtrusive.

I had looked at many other soundbars at various times, and very few could have sat under the TV as this does without obscuring the bottom of the display by an inch or so. The soundbar is clearly well made with nice brushed aluminum, and looks good without being flashy.

I wish I could give as much praise to the sound. While I like it in general, and while it's a vast improvement to the built in speakers, (and the wireless sub is a good match), I have a couple of issues that I wish had been more thought out or more clearly explained.

First, I have HDMI ARC to the TV, 2nd HDMI in from the Oppo BD, and optical from my PS4. All sound, including other devices connected to the TV by separate HDMI INs (DirecTV DVR, HTPC) all worked perfectly once Anynet+ was turned on. It was nice not to have to check connections, etc.

But there are three surround modes, Auto, Off, and On, and all THREE (?) sound different. I don't get why Auto sounds different; I would think it would sound the same as off or on? Also, there is no flag to let you know whether you're listening in Dolby, DTS, PCM, etc...you have to use other sources like TV audio settings to help you know, or you'll just have to guess.

The sound quality is above average (and an instabuy for $240), but it's not perfect. Perhaps the soundbar needs to log some additional hours to warm things up, but I felt it was missing "sparkle" in the high end and even with Treble boosted, I couldn't quite get the high end to where I would have liked it. Nonetheless, the wireless sub is satisfyingly punchy, and the vocals are so much clearer than they were with the built in TV speakers.

I watched the improv laden Rhapsody In Blue on my Berlin Phil smartapp tonight and felt the piano acoustics sounded pretty impressive for coming out of that small bar.

Anyway, quick impressions for you -- hope that helps!

Last edited by RobbW; Today at 12:09 AM.
post #1054 of 1055 Old Today, 07:42 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by RobbW View Post
Well, I pushed my UN65HU8550 back a tiny bit and have the 7501 sitting in front of the TV and on top of the stand, with a tiny portion of the very back center of the soundbar resting snugly just a few millimeters under the bottom of the TV.

Certainly, it's not a perfect match as if I had the curved set, but it's an extremely good pairing nonetheless, and the short height of the soundbar is extremely unobtrusive.

I had looked at many other soundbars at various times, and very few could have sat under the TV as this does without obscuring the bottom of the display by an inch or so. The soundbar is clearly well made with nice brushed aluminum, and looks good without being flashy.

I wish I could give as much praise to the sound. While I like it in general, and while it's a vast improvement to the built in speakers, (and the wireless sub is a good match), I have a couple of issues that I wish had been more thought out or more clearly explained.

First, I have HDMI ARC to the TV, 2nd HDMI in from the Oppo BD, and optical from my PS4. All sound, including other devices connected to the TV by separate HDMI INs (DirecTV DVR, HTPC) all worked perfectly once Anynet+ was turned on. It was nice not to have to check connections, etc.

But there are three surround modes, Auto, Off, and On, and all THREE (?) sound different. I don't get why Auto sounds different; I would think it would sound the same as off or on? Also, there is no flag to let you know whether you're listening in Dolby, DTS, PCM, etc...you have to use other sources like TV audio settings to help you know, or you'll just have to guess.

The sound quality is above average (and an instabuy for $240), but it's not perfect. Perhaps the soundbar needs to log some additional hours to warm things up, but I felt it was missing "sparkle" in the high end and even with Treble boosted, I couldn't quite get the high end to where I would have liked it. Nonetheless, the wireless sub is satisfyingly punchy, and the vocals are so much clearer than they were with the built in TV speakers.

I watched the improv laden Rhapsody In Blue on my Berlin Phil smartapp tonight and felt the piano acoustics sounded pretty impressive for coming out of that small bar.

Anyway, quick impressions for you -- hope that helps!
Good write-up, thanks! I read many reviews on the 7500 soundbar, and they almost all said a variation of the same thing: the speakers were good, but not great - almost what you are describing. My search will continue for now, but I do think this will be a viable option for my needs.

One question - how are your devices currently set up? Is the PS4 connected via optical to the soundbar, or to the television?
post #1055 of 1055 Old Today, 07:49 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tico1028 View Post
Good write-up, thanks! I read many reviews on the 7500 soundbar, and they almost all said a variation of the same thing: the speakers were good, but not great - almost what you are describing. My search will continue for now, but I do think this will be a viable option for my needs.

One question - how are your devices currently set up? Is the PS4 connected via optical to the soundbar, or to the television?
PS4 is connected via optical to the soundbar.

RobbW
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars