Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 37 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 30Likes

Old 10-19-2015, 04:43 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 278 Post(s)
Liked: 57
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anjin View Post
Hi,

Looking to buy soundbar for upcoming 55" TV, most likely not curved. Soundbar should have pretty good sound quality, but SWMBO will not tolerate external sub. So no sub or internal one. We have few toddlers running around, and during prime TV hours (for adults) the sub could not be used anyway. FM-tuner and bluetooth would score points, if soundbars with both exist. Bottomline is that I'm looking to enhance the sound of < 1200 USD TV, so good sound quality is nice, but budget has to be reasonable. Three figures anyway, the lower the better.

P.S. I do have separate "movie room" with better equipment, but when we moved it got banned from the new apartments living room
No soundbars have fm tuners. Check out BestBuy.com or Crutchfield.com or Amazon

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 10-19-2015, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by muradin007 View Post
I'm looking for a "soundbase", I don't have too much space for my setup, so an extra separate subwoofer makes me skeptical. My price is negotiable, although it shouldn't be very wide. I looked at the sony ht-xt1, yamaha srt-1500, and the zvox lineup but none of the zvox boxes have HDMI inputs.

I'm not looking for audiophile quality here. I'll be using components like a 360, and Wii, hooked up to a DVDO product and then plugging that audio into the soundbar. I'd prefer to have an HDMI input

Any suggestions?
Any particular reason a soundbar is not acceptable. I have heard Bose has a good sound base.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

Old 10-19-2015, 07:09 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 0
I'm preferring a soundbase because sound bars usually come with a seperate subwoofer. I don't really have a good place to that subwoofer (I don't have much room). If it's a soundbar with an integrated subwoofer, that may work too, I wonder about the quality of those though.

I'm sure the Bose is great, it doesn't have HDMI connectivity though..
Old 10-19-2015, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
I'm preferring a soundbase because sound bars usually come with a seperate subwoofer. I don't really have a good place to that subwoofer (I don't have much room). If it's a soundbar with an integrated subwoofer, that may work too, I wonder about the quality of those though.

There are soundbars without subs. Many being passive, some not.

Old 10-19-2015, 07:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

This article may interest you. Also, Google soundbars without subwoofers.

http://www.crutchfield.com/S-TWXV2q7...sound-bar.html

Old 10-19-2015, 07:41 PM

Ah, thank you for referring that article. I unfortunately have already read it when I was beginning my sound research.

I imagine a sound bar with no integrated bass, would sound worse than a soundbase that integrated that together. It seems like you would have everything in the soundbase, while lacking in a soundbar. Am I correct?
Old 10-19-2015, 08:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Ah, thank you for referring that article. I unfortunately have already read it when I was beginning my sound research.

I imagine a sound bar with no integrated bass, would sound worse than a soundbase that integrated that together. It seems like you would have everything in the soundbase, while lacking in a soundbar. Am I correct?
I actually cannot answer your question. Try to audition a Sonos soundbar. It's soundbar is optional. I listened to it today and in some instances found the sub overwhelming. So difficult to judge any product in-store. They are rarely fine tuned. I like the idea of a soundbox if it has enough power. Good luck.

Old 10-20-2015, 05:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
I actually cannot answer your question. Try to audition a Sonos soundbar. It's soundbar is optional. I listened to it today and in some instances found the sub overwhelming. So difficult to judge any product in-store. They are rarely fine tuned. I like the idea of a soundbox if it has enough power. Good luck.
Thank you! I'll check it out.
Old 10-22-2015, 11:34 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So I returned my JBL sb400, been looking for a while now and still have not found something I like. I just noticed Best Buy had the denon S514 on sale for 400, was looking to pick that up and try it out. The only other Soundbar I really like is the Harman Kardon Sb26 but it's still 600. trying not to break the bank. Any other choices I should look into?
Old 10-22-2015, 08:42 PM

Quoted: 81 Post(s)
Liked: 24
Recommendations for the best bang for the buck? I just got a Samsung 50" 7100 4K TV, really would like some nice sound in a decently priced package. I have a 7.1 system in my living room and this would be for my bedroom. I want something that is going to give me as good as I can get without going full home theater. I watch a lot of movies and play some games. I will be mounting the TV to the wall and would like to mount the soundbar as well. Any suggestions are much appreciated.
Old 10-28-2015, 08:35 PM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Anyone have the Yamaha YSP-1600 yet? I am seriously considering it..

Thanks!
Old 10-29-2015, 07:31 AM

Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Went ahead and ordered one from Amazon. It will be here tomorrow. I'll update with my thoughts as apparently not many here have the unit.
49Merc likes this.
Old 11-03-2015, 12:20 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Panda_Chef View Post
Recommendations for the best bang for the buck? I just got a Samsung 50" 7100 4K TV, really would like some nice sound in a decently priced package. I have a 7.1 system in my living room and this would be for my bedroom. I want something that is going to give me as good as I can get without going full home theater. I watch a lot of movies and play some games. I will be mounting the TV to the wall and would like to mount the soundbar as well. Any suggestions are much appreciated.

I'm also looking for something similar. Curious if the yamaha ysp-1600 true surround actually works well?
Old 11-17-2015, 06:35 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
I am purchasing a 65" Samsung JS8500. It will be going into an entertainment center. My budget us under $300 over $200 is fine. Ease of use is huge for wife's happiness. I do have a large sub I can tie into. This will be mainly for watching television, sports, movies and series.

Thanks in advance, Ed.

Last edited by Guitar Ed; 11-18-2015 at 03:52 AM.
Old 11-18-2015, 10:51 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 30
Quote:
Originally Posted by Guitar Ed View Post
I am purchasing a 65" Samsung JS8500. It will be going into an entertainment center. My budget us under $300 over $200 is fine. Ease of use is huge for wife's happiness. I do have a large sub I can tie into. This will be mainly for watching television, sports, movies and series.

Thanks in advance, Ed.
We must be long lost twins because I am in the same situation. Just bought the 8500, similar budget, and ease of use for the wife is important. The only difference is that I don't have a sub and would prefer a wireless one as the wife is tired of cables.

Thanks guys!
Old 11-18-2015, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post
We must be long lost twins because I am in the same situation. Just bought the 8500, similar budget, and ease of use for the wife is important. The only difference is that I don't have a sub and would prefer a wireless one as the wife is tired of cables.

Thanks guys!
Sounds like we are both ACC fans as well.
Old 11-20-2015, 12:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 30
The Samsung HW-J450 is on sale for $147.99 ... Good buy? Anyone got any info on this?
Old 11-22-2015, 09:12 PM

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Does anyone have any experience with the Polk Audio SB1? Is the Play-Fi system effective? Is there any other soundbar of similar quality for the $400 it costs at Best Buy?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 AM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
HK sb26 vs Sony ht-ct 780 and ht-st5

I'm selling my Onkyo tx-nr 609 and two Polk rti 4 speakers.

Sad to see them go but wife wants no wires and I want great sound for a cheap price. Best bang for buck.

DEVICES:
refurb sb26 for $400cad taxes in
The Sony ht-ct780 is $308 taxes in woohoo (that's cheap)
I'm still waiting on the ht-st5 price.

USAGE:
everyday use
tv (kdl 60" bravia)
movies (plex)
music (currently stream from Onkyo app, I like my music)
Living room/dining room = 23x13 (living only is 15x13)

Sony is nice due to only having one remote for all devices but are the two Sony I mentioned crap sound compared to HK?
Old 11-24-2015, 06:05 AM

HK sb26 vs Sony ht-ct 780 and ht-st5

I'm selling my Onkyo tx-nr 609 and two Polk rti 4 speakers.

Sad to see them go but wife wants no wires and I want great sound for a cheap price. Best bang for buck.

DEVICES:
refurb sb26 for $400cad taxes in
The Sony ht-ct780 is $308 taxes in woohoo (that's cheap)
I'm still waiting on the ht-st5 price.

USAGE:
everyday use
tv (kdl 60" bravia)
movies (plex)
music (currently stream from Onkyo app, I like my music)
Living room/dining room = 23x13 (living only is 15x13)

Sony is nice due to only having one remote for all devices but are the two Sony I mentioned crap sound compared to HK?
Old 11-25-2015, 12:10 PM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Can't help but notice this "help me choose" thread is about 30 questions posted for every 1 response someone receives....lol
kentg likes this.
Old 11-25-2015, 12:13 PM

It's cause they're so damn popular now!!!
Old 11-25-2015, 12:33 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Take a deep breath, open your wallet and get the Paradigm Soundscape. Pretty good bass without a subwoofer.

My $.02
Old 11-25-2015, 01:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CRTforever View Post
Take a deep breath, open your wallet and get the Paradigm Soundscape. Pretty good bass without a subwoofer.

My $.02
So I couldn't wait any longer because of the price I was getting with the HK. I ended up buying the HK SB 26. Hopefully I will not be disappointed.

I'm coming from a pair of Polk RTi4's and an Onkyo TX-NR609. Let's see what will sound better, hope I didn't make the wrong choice
Old 11-27-2015, 08:26 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Any 5.1 w/wireless sub & rears besides Vizio

I just bought a UN65JS8500 and now I need good sound. I have a Pioneer Elite/Boston Acoustic setup still in boxes from the recent move. But between not wanting to wire for surrounds and the wife's reluctance to the front towers in the room, I'm thinking an upper-mid range soundbars setup may be acceptable. I really like the setup of the Vizio with the 3 channel bar + wireless sub & rears wired to the sub. Unfortunately it looks like they discontinued the 5451 and the current lineup just feels like it'd be too small for the room (16x20 w/cathedral ceiling). Is anyone aware of any other similar set ups?
I just think in a room that size the surround effects need to be coming from the rear or sides to have a true surround feel.
I've searched a lot and the only one I found was from Sony and that also looks to be a discontinued 2014 model with no 2015 replacement.
Even if it doesn't come as a package, I'd be interested in hearing of any soundbars with wireless sub that have the option to add the wireless (to the front) rears.
I'm really surprised Vizio dropped the 5451 since the average tv size people are buying is growing and the model got some impressive reviews for a relatively inexpensive system. As good if not better than other bars listing for much higher prices.
Old 11-28-2015, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RYANtheTIGER View Post

Thanks guys!
I ended up purchasing a Polk Magnifi. It is thin enough not to block the screen and fits between the front portion of the stand and the television. I move it slightly to the left so the remote still works.

The Magnifi turns on and off with the JS8500 and the tv remote controls the volume. Sound is nice.
Old 11-29-2015, 01:52 AM

Hey folks,

I currently have a Sony HT-CT550W sound bar that I got a steep discount a few years ago. Now I'm looking to upgrade to a 60"+ 4K TV, and I'm thinking of getting a new soundbar as well.

I've never liked the CT550W - all the dialog sounds muffled. Now, I probably have some hearing damage - but not that much!

Any one have any recommendations for my situation?
Old 11-30-2015, 07:44 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I like the Polks.
Old 11-30-2015, 07:36 PM

I just set up the SB 26 and am not happy. I'm not an audiophile but compared to my Onkyo TX-NR609 (which I just f*cking sold like an idiot) and my polk RTi4s, this thing sounds terrible.

I guess it's a good soundbar but I think that's all it is, a sound bar.

Nice sub, love that, not sure what I'm going to do now though. I'm so mad at myself for selling the Onkyo for $300 CAD. Like really mad at myself. I will probably just return this and buy another receiver again, used this time and tell my wife that she has to deal with the wires. She actually feels bad at the level of my disappointment.
Old 12-05-2015, 04:49 PM

Question Another newbie looking for a soundbar

I'm a newbie like so many others in this thread.

Looking for a 'good' soundbar specifically to:
  1. Improve ability to hear dialogue in movies
  2. Even out the sound to minimize sudden loudness (commercials, explosions...)
  3. Automatically turn on/off (and change volume) via the current TV remote

This is for an Insignia 55" Roku TV, Model NS-55DR420NA16 which we recently purchased and love except for very poor dialogue sound in movies. It has Digital Audio output and HDMI ARC. I believe I want to use the HDMI ARC so that the sound bar will be powered on/off and controlled via the current TV remote, correct?

We are not audiophiles, so just want the least expensive solution (hopefully, under $200)

Thank you in advance for your help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement