Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 42 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 32Likes

post #1231 of 1260 Old 06-28-2016, 05:34 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNeil View Post
Psycidelicos - If a one-person experience / opinion / review helps you, I bought the Def Tech W Studio in February and REALLY like it. It replaced an Onkyo 5.1 system. I'm 95% music, 5% video. Average sized room. Loud and clear, bass is great.

CDs and blu-ray concerts sound great, iTunes library via AppleTV was not quite as great, but good+ (my fault b/c when I started ripping CDs ~ 15 years ago file storage wasn't cheap and I made format decisions accordingly).

I recently added an Oppo 103 blu-ray player / DAC / digital music hub. As I've posted in the 103 thread, I've used it to pivot from ATV to Tidal Hi-FI as my primary music source. (I didnt/dont want to re-rip (or pay to have ripped) 500+ CDs to lossless format. So I switched to Tidal as a late convert to streaming. The Oppo streams Tidal natively to the W Studio (using Oppo's app as the controller on my phone). Plus CDs and blu-ray concerts are better too.

So maybe I just gave you a bit more re: Oppo than W Studio. I'm sure you're aware there are some pretty favorable W Studio reviews out there (see CNET) and the user reviews on sites like Amazon are mostly (but not completely) very favorable.

Have fun with your search and let me know if I can answer any questions (I'm not a Def Tech employee or connected in ANY way)
I'll put it this way I read a review that claimed the Paradgrim Soundscape was the best soundbar on the market. After reading another review Cnet claimed the Soundscape USED to be their favorite soundbar until the W Studio was reviewed.

I'm concerned though that I'll regret going with a soundbar. I have unique setup. I have a little 640 square foot studio and I plastered the walls with art. It has an open kitchen and bedroom so outside of the balcony bathroom and laundry room it's one giant zig zag.

In one respect installing a 5.1 system is going to be a pain. My couch is against a wall. In another a 3.1 system would be easy for me. I'm wondering if the W Studio is a good choice given the layout of the apartment. I'm wondering if I would prefer it over say a 3.1 with Klipsch Ref speakers. I'm wondering if it will truly be able to replicate surround sound given the open layout of the apartment.

Have you noticed any deterioration or sound depending on the height placement of the bar? I don't plan on mounting anything until I repaint my place in fear of the painters damaging my electronics. Until I do I would plan on tucking the soundbar a couple of inches off the ground into this tv stand while placing the sub next to it.
http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/pr...340/#/20105341

Definitely interested in the W Studio though. Despite my neighbor busting me up over buying a soundbar (even though his 7.1 is sitting in a box because he can't run speaker wire through the apartment) lol
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1232 of 1260 Old 06-28-2016, 08:56 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 3
Yes, room design is an impact. In many cases system and placement adjustments will get most people what they need.

Yes, as many say, including the CNET article I think, only a 5.1 or a 7.1 will get you true surround. The other solutions (bars, 3.1s) are using processing to simulate. So it's a personal call in terms of do you really want / need true surround, do you have the space for it, ability to do wiring (or have it done), etc.

And yes, true audiophiles (I'm not that) almost always prefer and recommend separates over bars. But with the bar market improving with items including the Soundscape and W studio they are starting to give them more respect.

YOU may be better off with a 3.1. I know Klipsch makes good stuff.

In my case, I'm mostly music so even with my 5.1 I was running it in stereo mode most of time. Plus we are looking to downsize so a bar let me reduce by 5 pieces (4 speakers, 1 receiver). Plus I dropped cable and its box.

One thing I'd tell you about the particular cabinet you linked: it may (!) not be a good choice to tuck the W inside of it, or any cabinet. The W seems to have a fair amount of output from the top. It may resonate, sound may bounce. Idk.

Mine sits on TOP of a cabinet that is ~ 3 feet high. My neighbor stood somewhat over mine (2-3 feet back) and said "wow, sounds especially good standing over it". I've noticed same. Plus, usually better to have them as close to ear level as possible. I believe.

Hope this helps.
cajieboy and Psycidelicos like this.
post #1233 of 1260 Old 06-28-2016, 12:37 PM

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 37
Quote:
Originally Posted by BobNeil View Post
Yes, room design is an impact. In many cases system and placement adjustments will get most people what they need.

Yes, as many say, including the CNET article I think, only a 5.1 or a 7.1 will get you true surround. The other solutions (bars, 3.1s) are using processing to simulate. So it's a personal call in terms of do you really want / need true surround, do you have the space for it, ability to do wiring (or have it done), etc.

And yes, true audiophiles (I'm not that) almost always prefer and recommend separates over bars. But with the bar market improving with items including the Soundscape and W studio they are starting to give them more respect.

YOU may be better off with a 3.1. I know Klipsch makes good stuff.

In my case, I'm mostly music so even with my 5.1 I was running it in stereo mode most of time. Plus we are looking to downsize so a bar let me reduce by 5 pieces (4 speakers, 1 receiver). Plus I dropped cable and its box.

One thing I'd tell you about the particular cabinet you linked: it may (!) not be a good choice to tuck the W inside of it, or any cabinet. The W seems to have a fair amount of output from the top. It may resonate, sound may bounce. Idk.

Mine sits on TOP of a cabinet that is ~ 3 feet high. My neighbor stood somewhat over mine (2-3 feet back) and said "wow, sounds especially good standing over it". I've noticed same. Plus, usually better to have them as close to ear level as possible. I believe.

Hope this helps.
Very helpful thank you.
post #1234 of 1260 Old 07-06-2016, 08:09 PM

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Hey everyone, looking for some advice on a sound bar. Here's my criteria...

Budget: Under $350
Room size: Medium
Surround sound: Not required
Wireless sub: Preferred, if wireless
Bar size: Smaller preferred
Connections: Minimalistic
Use: Not an audiophile, but want a noticeable upgrade over TV speakers for sports and weekend movie watching

Thanks in advance!
post #1235 of 1260 Old 07-07-2016, 06:51 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello everyone,

I am wanting to add on to my current piece-meal speaker system for our family room, but as I read and read there are some choices to make. First off my setup is

Amplifier - Marantz NR1504
T.V. - Vizio E500
Sub - Polk PSW505
Front L, R - Cambridge S30

As you can see I have no center channel and at the time was not sure if we would need it. Well, we need one as we need to turn up the volume quite high to hear actors having conversations. So I was reading here about soundbars, but then it hit me. My options are:

A) Do I just get a 1.0 soundbar for just center channel?

B) Get rid of the S30's and get a soundbar that does both center and sides?

Definitely want something to really up the center channel power and not lose what the S30's have done for us. Unless there is a soundbar that can do better than the S30's for the L, R I'd like some recommendations.

This is for a family room, everyday use, watch streaming movies, tv shows OTA, Vizio comes with streaming shows as well; gets used a lot for everything. Room is rectangular and it's length wise so we do sit about 7-8' away. Should also mention that the widest I can go is 49".

Thanks

Update: Friend of mine pointed me to Yamaha and Polk for the center channel. Will look there, but thanks.

Last edited by swatbat2142; 07-07-2016 at 02:35 PM. Reason: Fixing the 2.0 to 1.0
post #1236 of 1260 Old 07-07-2016, 01:52 PM

Liked: 0
Hi all, new to the forums here !

I have a bit of a dilemma at hand. I recently upgraded my TV form an old 2012 38inch Vizio with a 38 soundbar to a P55-C1 Series P 2016. Before 2012 I owned a Paradigm C90 with a Marantz AV receiver that I had to sell due to financial reasons (and I surely miss). Needles to say my audiophile cravings are starting to grow now that i have a UHD TV but the living room in my apt is VERY OPEN!! lol. I have a sliding door with blinds to my left, the kitchen to my right and 2 solid walls front and back but a Vaulted ceiling all in its 12' by 14' glory. for this reason I opted not to pursue the Yamaha's YSP soundbars.

After a long research I am at a loss

Here is what I would like:

1- an AV receiver such as a Marantz NR1606 since I would like to upgrade the system next year when I move to a proper house.
For speakers tho:
1- Would an AV Powered soundbar with a sub would be ok?
2- the new slim Vizio 5.1 is tempting but I would wait for reviews on quality before buying.

3- the budget for this is $1,000-$1,200
or do you recommend something else.
Any advice would be welcome !!
Thanks
~Joe

Current system:
TV: Vizio PSeries P55-C1 2016
Sound: Elac B5 F/L, Dayton Audio SUB-800, Marantz NR1606 2.1 system
Console: PS4
Nexus Player
post #1237 of 1260 Old 07-10-2016, 08:18 AM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I've just bought a Samsung 60KS7000 and want to buy a soundbar to go with it.

Samsung are doing an offer in the UK that gives you money off if you buy a Samsung product straight after the TV, I was thinking about buying the HW-J6501R or HW-K651, is the 6501 noticeably better, what are main differences?

In addition some websites are doing the HWJ-8500 for only £400, instead of the £750 RRP of th HWJ-8500R, are these the same product?

Thanks!
post #1238 of 1260 Old 07-14-2016, 09:32 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi guys, new here. Im deciding whether to get a 5.1 system or a soundbar setup. Budget is around $1500. Not an audiophile but appreciate surround movie sounds and music next. Room is about 20 x 17 but is an open concept house so it is basically open to the dining and kitchen area. I like the simplicity of the soundbar system but I know that a complete 5.1 set-up would sound better. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
post #1239 of 1260 Old 07-16-2016, 06:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 285 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Quote:
Originally Posted by fishcracker23 View Post
Hi guys, new here. Im deciding whether to get a 5.1 system or a soundbar setup. Budget is around $1500. Not an audiophile but appreciate surround movie sounds and music next. Room is about 20 x 17 but is an open concept house so it is basically open to the dining and kitchen area. I like the simplicity of the soundbar system but I know that a complete 5.1 set-up would sound better. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.
Our room configuration is very much like yours. We have a Bose SoundTouch HTS 130 and find it room filling with high quality, realistic audio, strong vocals, mid-range and bass. This soundbar is not your typical Bose product. Happy hunting.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax M4300-PM, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
post #1240 of 1260 Old 07-20-2016, 01:33 PM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I bought an Yamaha Ats-1050 (is this same a yas105?), So far it seems like an good update to tv speakers but left a lot to desire. Lg 49 4k ultra hdtv.

My idea on getting a sound bar is,
- I live in a small apartment with small(10*7*15) living area with open kitchen.
- don't like wire clutter
- want to improve tv sound to quality sound for watching in 7 ft distance
- budget about $500

I am in a great dilemma of
#1-adding a sub to 1050

#2 get a pair of powered bookshelf speakers
- suggestions..pls

#3 get an avr, attach two bookself and a sub.
- suggestion on avr 5.2 with bt and hdmi 2.

I don't want to spend money on technology until I own a house. Either spend little to get decent one or build slow towards complete package.

Pls suggest some sub for compact, but tight l, clean bass.
So far reading, Dayton 1000, klipsch 12, Polk 505, bic came through list.

What would be better?

Update:
Got jbl arena s10 from bestbuy. Back home, plugged to yamaha soundbar, the bass is good. But I never owned property sub so I don't know all hi-fi stuff many talk. The size is a concern now. I looked at other options online, Dayton 1000l (not finding it anywhere) yamaha YST-FSW050 (114$ on yamaha site) are only two option I find. Please suggest compact sub or should I keep jbl? ($160) but its too big to fit in my entertainment cabin.

After a lengthy thought process, I am leaning towards keeping yamaha bar($120 from Amazon prime day deal) and a decent sub (still not decided and need help) . So when I move out of apmt living, I will keep the bar to bed room and sub to 5.1 avr proper setup. Decisions, decisions..

Last edited by Selvaspk; 07-20-2016 at 09:20 PM.
post #1241 of 1260 Old 07-21-2016, 01:47 PM

Quoted: 38 Post(s)
Liked: 43
I just got a Vizio M70. I've always been content with the sound from TV speakers before, but even to me, the built-ins on this thing are hot garbage.

That being said, I can get an LG SH2 soundbar for free with credit card points. It's 2.1, 100W, wired subwoofer. Don't want to have anything too loud as my wife and I watch TV at night directly underneath our 2.5yo's bedroom. Is this decent as a replacement for crappy built-ins?

Also, my TV stand looks like this:

Code:
 ----------
|          |
|----------|
|          |
 ----------
With the TV on the top shelf, obviously. With the soundbar going on the top shelf in front of the TV, where would the subwoofer go? Center of the bottom shelf? On the floor, off to one side? Can I run the system without the sub hooked up? I know jack all about audio setups, so any help would be appreciated!
post #1242 of 1260 Old 08-10-2016, 02:35 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Colorado S14 View Post
Anyone listened to a Samsung HW-K550? We just bought a 65-KS8000 and the size of the tv is going to force us to ditch the 3.1 bookshelf setup we were using before. Would love to get a good soundbar to compliment the new setup, a wireless subwoofer is very attractive given our room layout.
I've had the HW-K450 for about 2 months now. Really surprised by the sound quality, and the construction of the soundbar and sub. Really quality look and feel.
Great for clear dialogue and dynamic range on anything I've watched so far. I have a surround system for the heavy lifting.
The 550 should be just as high quality.
post #1243 of 1260 Old 08-13-2016, 09:52 PM

My mother in law is looking for a soundbar to go under her new TV, she asked me for advice but I really don't know much about soundbars. I found the following around $150, is there a general consensus as to which is the best bar around that price? We would also consider something used.

Sony HT-CT380
Yamaha YSP-2500
LG NB3530A
VIZIO SB3821-C6 38-Inch
VIZIO SB3831-C6M
VIZIO S3851-W-D4B (Whats the difference between this and the pricier VIZIO SB3851-C0)
VIZIO S4251-W-B4E

Thanks
post #1244 of 1260 Old 08-19-2016, 10:00 AM

Quoted: 101 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Hi guys,

Just got my LG OLED 65 and yeah the sound is average at best. I had a Sony XBR900B (speakers on the side with sub) which sounded much better. I like good sound, I have a B&W/Marantz setup in my theater room and obviously know I'm not going to get that in a sound bar but I wanted to see what you guys recommend. I would say I don't want to spend more than I need to. But I see a lot of these sound bars claiming 4.1, 7.1 sound, is that sincere? I have an open layout in my house so there are barely any walls.

I've seen a couple of LG branded that sounded ok, I think it was about 200.00. I know there are Bose and some others.
post #1245 of 1260 Old 08-22-2016, 05:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 125 Post(s)
Liked: 69
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.j.martin View Post
Hi guys,

Just got my LG OLED 65 and yeah the sound is average at best. I had a Sony XBR900B (speakers on the side with sub) which sounded much better. I like good sound, I have a B&W/Marantz setup in my theater room and obviously know I'm not going to get that in a sound bar but I wanted to see what you guys recommend. I would say I don't want to spend more than I need to. But I see a lot of these sound bars claiming 4.1, 7.1 sound, is that sincere? I have an open layout in my house so there are barely any walls.

I've seen a couple of LG branded that sounded ok, I think it was about 200.00. I know there are Bose and some others.
Pioneer has a pretty good soundbar, and Zvox just came out with a new design that has received good reviews. That's a very nice TV you bought, and I'd think twice before going the el cheapo route for the sound. You'd be surprised at just how much quality sound is needed these days. As with anything else, you usually get what you pay for, and $200 is not an amount I's use to match up to that LG OLED.
post #1246 of 1260 Old 08-22-2016, 10:45 AM

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Ok on information Overload!!!! Looking to go the soundbar route. I have replaced my TV with the Sony XBR-75 940D... I also moved so didn't want to go the wired route anymore. I had my other TV hooked up to my Denon receiver with a paradigm center channel and Boston Acoustic surround with an energy sub.

The room where my new TV is now is just a bit to big to run all the wires and don't want a huge mess. Plus the receiver doesn't support 4k. So that is what brought me to the soundbar route.

But I am not sure what I should look for and what is really a plus to have. I have a farily large room with half the ceiling normal height then the other half of the room the ceiling vaults.

I would like something I can expand if I want surround speakers. Also want something with a somewhat decent Sub.

I have been looking at the Sony HT5 sound bar but have trouble pulling the trigger on sony speakers I don't know just for some reason never loved there audio stuff. I was also looking at the Sonos stuff but didn't love that they didn't have HDMI ports. I was also looking at some of the Bose stuff but for the cost not sure its worth it.

For me I would like something that supports 4k and will support ARC so I can just have one HDMI going into the TV.. I can plug in my Xbox and playstation and will fill the room with good sound with some bass to thump. I don't listen to music to much so that isn't a real key feature for me. Thought I would post in there to see what people suggest. Thanks
post #1247 of 1260 Old 08-24-2016, 07:11 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by g.j.martin View Post
Hi guys,

I added an LG sh7b 4.1 soundbar to my lg 65uh8500. Overall I'm really happy with it. It replaced an older Sony 2.1 soundbar.
post #1248 of 1260 Old 08-25-2016, 03:08 PM

Quoted: 37 Post(s)
Liked: 44
I'm looking to get a 5.1 soundbar system for my apt to go with my new Vizio P-55 I'm getting delivered Saturday. I was thinking of getting the Vizio SB4051-D5 which I can get from Bestbuy Open Box for 310 here

But then I also saw the Samsung HW-K550/ZA which is on sale at bestbuy for 330 here and comes with Samsung's rear sattelite wireless speaker set SWA-8000S/ZA for free. So essentially two 5.1 soundbar systems for $20 difference. Which would be the better buy and why? Thanks!
post #1249 of 1260 Old 08-26-2016, 12:17 PM

Seeking help dialing in choices for a soundbar setup

I've done the high end audio route in the past. That was before 3 kids, a home, 4 cars and life took over.

I have just enough time to enjoy occasional TV and host a few football games/bbqs at my home.

Here's the skinny:

Larger living room with 3 walls that opens up to dining room which then connects to kitchen. LR is 15x20 with a niche for the TV (when TV's used to be rear projection beasts). TV is wall mounted on multi-direction adjustable mount. Ceilings are 9'.

I'd like to be able to enjoy streaming music from devices to soundbar on occasion.

Home runs dual band wifi and is fully wired Cat5 to TV. Home is wired for surround sound with in-ceiling wires.

I don't want the mess and size of a receiver, many speakers, wires and expense. I'm done with those days.

I am seeking a soundbar setup to maximize tv sound (sports needs to sound decent, not like inside a soda can), enjoy an occasional movie at home (maybe watch less than 10 movies a year at home), and be able to enjoy streamed music and my digital collection at time. I strongly prefer to connect via HDMI ARC over optical.

My working budget is $400 - $1k (price includes a sub).

I listened to a Sonos and while it had a fuller sound, it sounded fake/synthetic.

I am fully aware I am not going to achieve receiver/speakers like sound quality but am seeking to learn what is closest to that.

Biggest negative concern is i can't stand "thin" sound. I am seeking a richer fuller sound from any system I deploy.

So, all you experts out there, please help me narrow down my choices. I am open to all and listening.

Thank you all in advance for your time and help. It's greatly appreciated.

Additionally: Samsung LED UN55C8000. It's a few years old now and might be replaced with a 4k unit next year, 65" Samsung.

My TV signal is OTA HDTV running through a Channel Master DVR+ and a I also use a ROKU3. All are connected via HDMI to the Samsung TV (4 HDMI inputs on this unit).
post #1250 of 1260 Old 09-03-2016, 08:34 AM

Liked: 12
Looking for Soundbar recommendations..

Need something for our main living room TV that i'm about to add an Xbox One S to.

TV is a Samsung 55" JS8500.
Will be running TV (FiOS) through the xbox one S.

Trying to stay under $600. Mainly just want something for better movie watching/gaming sound, especially since the Xbox One S will get me the 4K blu ray / Netflix capability.

Had a friend recommend the Sonos Playbar, which is right on the budget line, but I want to make sure i'm getting the best bang for the buck.

Anyone have experience with the Samsung sound towers (TW-J5500)? They are on sale at BJs Wholesale currently for $250 and sounded decent in store, though I don't put much stock in that due to the conditions.

Any guidance welcome. Thanks in advance!

Last edited by psurob12; 09-03-2016 at 08:35 AM. Reason: typos
post #1251 of 1260 Old 09-08-2016, 12:08 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 4
+1 for another Sonos soundbar 5.1 setup to go along with the new Sony X940D. Wireless is the way to go !
post #1252 of 1260 Old 09-08-2016, 10:34 PM

Quoted: 78 Post(s)
Liked: 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by mortron View Post
If the price is right, go for the YAS-105 and a decent wired sub with adjustable XO. I got the 105 and an 8" Yamaha SW012 on sale for less than $300CDN. It looks much much nicer than the cheap gloss plastic YAS-203 and mine came in at $120 cheaper with the sub! I demoed several over a long period. Sadly it doesnt have adjustable XO, my only true gripe - that and size of sub. I love my YAS-105 and came to see what else people were suggesting these days. Glad to see my purchase is still a good one, as I am in market for one for a relative, and was gonna go to the YAS-105 even though the price has jumped up.

Another nice one was the Pioneer Andrew Jones soundbar, made of MDF rather than plastic, and has a great sound. Unfortunately it isn't cheap.
Dummy question - what is adjustable XO?

Do you know anything about the YAS-106? Looks maybe like an updated YAS-105. I'm coming from a Logitech Z-5500 and really not looking for much more than a lateral move in sound quality. The one really good thing I'll say about the Z-5500 is the 10" sub really delivers that movie theater rumble. Sucks for music though and adds all kinds of clutter. Do you think one of those Yamaha units plus a decent sub will satisfy?

Also, with the YAS-105 if you add a sub, does it then bypass the built-in mini subs?

2016 LG 55" C6 OLED

Last edited by yadmonkey; 09-08-2016 at 10:44 PM.
post #1253 of 1260 Old 09-15-2016, 08:50 PM

Okay, I've figured out that adjustable XO is adjustable crossover, so you can limit the sub's bass response at the point where it drops off from the thing you've attached it to. That was a good tip - thanks, mortron.

I will soon be in possession of a YAS-106 and a Klipsch k100-sw sub to hopefully replace the Z5500 - will report back.

2016 LG 55" C6 OLED

Last edited by yadmonkey; 09-15-2016 at 09:16 PM.
post #1254 of 1260 Old 09-16-2016, 08:07 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Newbie Needs Help

Hey guys I have never owned a sound bar and just purchased the new 70 inch M series for my basement. I was looking at the new Vizio sound bars since they normally have a great bang for your buck. I have yet to find and official reviews yet so I ask for your help. I love that the sub woofer can go under the couch. What are your thoughts on the new Vizio soundbars? Thanks in advance for the help!
post #1255 of 1260 Old 09-16-2016, 02:35 PM

Liked: 1
I'm looking for a wireless 5.1 system. Any thoughts on the Vizio system?
post #1256 of 1260 Old 09-16-2016, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barrykar View Post
Hey guys I have never owned a sound bar and just purchased the new 70 inch M series for my basement. I was looking at the new Vizio sound bars since they normally have a great bang for your buck. I have yet to find and official reviews yet so I ask for your help. I love that the sub woofer can go under the couch. What are your thoughts on the new Vizio soundbars? Thanks in advance for the help!
Subwoofer placement matters. I'd be surprised if sticking it under the couch was a good placement.

Quote:
Originally Posted by s!ke View Post
I'm looking for a wireless 5.1 system. Any thoughts on the Vizio system?
I was super curious about the new Vizio system until I heard it at Costco. Obviously not nearly the ideal setting to judge it, but I was immediately filled with a sense of disappointment. I thought the low end sounded muddy and the upper mids were thin. Again, not the right place for a proper test, but it instantly took it out of the running for me.

2016 LG 55" C6 OLED
post #1257 of 1260 Old 09-19-2016, 08:41 AM

I'm looking for something, doesn't necessarily have to be a sound bar, but it needs to be a single unit, so a soundbar fits the bill in that regard. I'm basically looking for the best sound you can get for <£500. I've been looking at the Yamaha YS-105 but I'm not all that impressed with it sound wise (it seems to have a bit of a cheap-speaker sound to the midrange) there also seems to be some significant bluetooth lag which isn't ideal.

Features and surround don't really bother me that much, the ticklist is basically:

- <£500
- Single unit (so no separate control unit or sub).
- At least analog input, ideally also optical and bluetooth.

Stereo sound quality is pretty much the most important factor as it's for games and music primarily.
post #1258 of 1260 Old 09-19-2016, 08:49 AM

I'm overjoyed with the Paradigm Soundscape I got on eBay (a customer return) for US$750 ($575£).
post #1259 of 1260 Old 09-22-2016, 01:42 PM

Neither of those appear to be available in the UK, they look to be US only.
post #1260 of 1260 Old 09-24-2016, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Looking for a soundbar for the (L, C, & R) front of a 7.1. system.

The four remaining (mid and rear speaker pairs) channels will be in-ceiling Polk MC-80s, and the sub will be a Theater Sols SUB8SM. All connected to a Marantz NR1606 for a Samsung 60" KU6300 UHD TV. TV and film 80%, music 20%. The living room is about 18' X 18'

Any suggestions for what is a good fit with this set-up?

thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars