Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 45 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 40Likes

post #1321 of 1348 Old 01-11-2017, 10:32 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 11 Post(s)
Liked: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub from GA View Post
Could use some advice on soundbars.

I replaced my 2009 Sony 52" lcd tv earlier this week. The new set is a Sony XBR 65X850D.

I've moved the old 52", Sony receiver and 7 speakers and subwoofer into another room. The overall visual impact of having this stuff gone really made the wife happy. She has a sound bar on her bedroom tv and would like to see us use something like it in the den with this new 65".

I'm hoping there will be a soundbar that will work seamlessly with the new tv. Simple to use so wife has minimal learning curve.

Movies, occasional PS4, and possibly streaming music from my cellphone would be the normal use.

I'd prefer a model with a wireless subwoofer.

Ultimately the television will be wall-wounded with a full motion mount. The soundbar would stay on table surface. Table is 40" wide.

I bought the tv from BB and there is a $200 discount that I'm eligible for on these two Sony models:

Unfortunately both of these are wider than the table is.

I am hoping to spend some time at BB today and compare various models. I didn't give it much time on my three prior trips as I was focused on making tv comparisons and making decisions.

I'd love to find an affordable solution that I can get up and running with right away.....but I want glitch free performance and great sound quality. I'll wait and stash some funds if needed.

UPDATE:

I went back to BB again.....I gotta stay outa that store....I'd gonna break me, lol. I spent considerable time evaluating the various soundbars. It's sort of difficult to really evaluate the true sound in the store....but I keep coming back to the Bose. I really liked the crisp and accurate sound on the music and movies I tried. I looked at everything they had....kept coming back to this Bose unit.

Bought the SoundTouch 300 and the bass module. I also bought the mount I've been wanting to use. The verdict is out on whether I'll add the surrounds or not. The soundbar alone is great....the bass module really takes it to another level.

It was a piece of cake to pair the bass unit.....just a few seconds with the remote.

I'll run the calibration once I have the TV mounted, hopefully tomorrow.

Watching Luke Cage on Netflix at the moment. Sounds great.
Congrats! Just curious, what's the model number of that Sanus mount you picked up? Thanks!
Dub from GA likes this.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1322 of 1348 Old 01-12-2017, 06:47 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 352 Post(s)
Liked: 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dub from GA View Post
Could use some advice on soundbars.

I replaced my 2009 Sony 52" lcd tv earlier this week. The new set is a Sony XBR 65X850D.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-65-...?skuId=4801900

I've moved the old 52", Sony receiver and 7 speakers and subwoofer into another room. The overall visual impact of having this stuff gone really made the wife happy. She has a sound bar on her bedroom tv and would like to see us use something like it in the den with this new 65".

I'm hoping there will be a soundbar that will work seamlessly with the new tv. Simple to use so wife has minimal learning curve.

Movies, occasional PS4, and possibly streaming music from my cellphone would be the normal use.

I'd prefer a model with a wireless subwoofer.

Ultimately the television will be wall-wounded with a full motion mount. The soundbar would stay on table surface. Table is 40" wide.

I bought the tv from BB and there is a $200 discount that I'm eligible for on these two Sony models:

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-7-1...?skuId=3953262

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/sony-2-1...?skuId=4890100

Unfortunately both of these are wider than the table is.

I am hoping to spend some time at BB today and compare various models. I didn't give it much time on my three prior trips as I was focused on making tv comparisons and making decisions.

I'd love to find an affordable solution that I can get up and running with right away.....but I want glitch free performance and great sound quality. I'll wait and stash some funds if needed.

UPDATE:

I went back to BB again.....I gotta stay outa that store....I'd gonna break me, lol. I spent considerable time evaluating the various soundbars. It's sort of difficult to really evaluate the true sound in the store....but I keep coming back to the Bose. I really liked the crisp and accurate sound on the music and movies I tried. I looked at everything they had....kept coming back to this Bose unit.

Bought the SoundTouch 300 and the bass module. I also bought the mount I've been wanting to use. The verdict is out on whether I'll add the surrounds or not. The soundbar alone is great....the bass module really takes it to another level.

It was a piece of cake to pair the bass unit.....just a few seconds with the remote.

I'll run the calibration once I have the TV mounted, hopefully tomorrow.

Watching Luke Cage on Netflix at the moment. Sounds great.

I was about to recommend the BOSE 300. Enjoy!
Dub from GA likes this.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
post #1323 of 1348 Old 01-12-2017, 10:11 AM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Hey all - first, thanks in advance for any tips you can give me. Hopefully this one will be an easy one.

I'm in the process of buying an LG OLED55C6P for the den room which I will primary use with the PS4 Pro for games and streaming 4K content as well as my DirecTV box. It's a pretty small room with the couch about 8 feet from the TV so I really don't need much, I would just like to improve on the TV speakers. Looking to be under $300 or even lower if possible.

I assume I would passthrough HDMI from the PS4 PRo & DirecTV box to the soundbar - but if peopled don't recommend that in my price range I'm definitely good with an optical cable as well.

Any thoughts here?

post #1324 of 1348 Old 01-12-2017, 10:33 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
I was about to recommend the BOSE 300. Enjoy!
Thank you.

I was immediately impressed with it in the store and it has really done nothing but get better and better at home.

I was running it fairly loud for a couple shows and really enjoying the bass and dynamic range. I made the mistake of brewing a late afternoon pot of coffee and wound up staying up most of the night watching tv.

I ran the volume down low so as not to disturb the family.

The surround sound effects thrown off by this bar were crazy. One scene had a one of the actors walk down a hallway (wooden floor) and exit the scene but you could hear them running water in the kitchen sink and opening a cabinet. I swear I thought someone had walked down the adjacent hallway to my den and was in my kitchen. Even at low volumes the surround effects were that pronounced and vivid.

What it is odd is that I've done nothing to calibrate the unit. I have the TV & sound bar sitting on a chest that is almost 90 degrees off the wall it will be mounted to tomorrow. I would think it was a poor arrangement for any type of sound quality. The sub is simply sitting out in the middle of the room right where I took it out of the box, plugged the power cord in and paired it.

I'll play around with sub placement....I'd like to try a spot in the corner behind my recliner. I'd think it''ll be even more pronounced there.

Very happy with this TV & Bose soundbar thus far.

The technician is here now installing the new DirectTV. Hoping to get on with some 4K viewing this afternoon. This is going to be fun.

I'm also very enthused about getting all my old gear connected in the bonus room.

Quote:
Originally Posted by feelfreetoblameme View Post
Congrats! Just curious, what's the model number of that Sanus mount you picked up? Thanks!
Thank you.

Hope to get it mounted in the morning.
49Merc likes this.
post #1325 of 1348 Old 01-18-2017, 07:30 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hey, everyone! I'm new to this forum, but I hope you guys could help me a bit as I am stuck in a crossroad. Someone from Reddit pointed me in this direction as they are "too cool" for commenting on soundbars on /r/audiophile, hahaha!

Yamaha YAS-306 (+Yamaha WX-010) vs Sony HT-CT790 (+Sony SRS ZR5)

The soundbar will mainly play audio from my TV, but I will also use it for music if it fares well. The smaller speaker is just something to get me pumping in the morning while showering. In other words, it's mainly the soundbars I am comparing, but if one of the smaller speakers are really ****ty compared to the other, that might be considered as a factor.

I've read a lot of reviews and user experiences, and they both seem to be good choices. At the moment, HT-CT970 seems like a slightly better choice, but I have little knowledge on this area. The Sony is the better looking soundbar imo, but this is not especially important. The Yamaha has no HDMI input/ARC, though I do not know if this is good/essential to have or what. I've tried reading up on it, but it's too technical for me. Also, the Yamaha has an internal subwoofer which I do not really know what I think about, but worst case scenario, I could get an external sub and hook it up to this, right? The Sony has both HDMI/ARC and external sub.

Does anyone which of these soundbars fare best in regards to playing music. Yeah, yeah, I know. Don't get a soundbar for music, but I'm just asking which is best. The way my living room is set up at the moment leaves very little space for speakers.

Regarding music, there aren't much from the internet to point me in either direction. In the HT-CT970-thread on this forum, TXBDan gives it a 3-4 out of 10 for music playback. For the YAS-306, I couldn't find any comments upon music quality, but CNET states that the YAS-203 is "very good" for music playback, though I do not know how much this says about the YAS-306. (Tried to link to the forum post and CNET-article, but can't post link as I am a new user)

Correct me if I'm wrong, but regardless of me getting the Yamaha or Sony, I can get two smaller speakers and place them behind the couch for surround sound/home cinema kind-of experience?

If it matters, the TV I have is a Sony KDL-48W605. Thanks for your input!
post #1326 of 1348 Old 01-20-2017, 08:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by avsdck View Post
Hey, everyone! (...)
I'm open for suggestions though! These are the two I managed to narrow it down to myself, but as long as any alternative is not high above this price class, I'll be glad to take in suggestions. It would be very positive though, if they had the function to pair up to other speakers that I'd put in other rooms, or maybe even put behind the sofa for movies.
post #1327 of 1348 Old 01-23-2017, 04:11 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Awesome thread!!! I need to spend a lot of time reading and I'm sure my questions will be answered.
post #1328 of 1348 Old 01-27-2017, 06:34 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by elonepb View Post
Hey all - first, thanks in advance for any tips you can give me. Hopefully this one will be an easy one.

I'm in the process of buying an LG OLED55C6P for the den room which I will primary use with the PS4 Pro for games and streaming 4K content as well as my DirecTV box. It's a pretty small room with the couch about 8 feet from the TV so I really don't need much, I would just like to improve on the TV speakers. Looking to be under $300 or even lower if possible.

I assume I would passthrough HDMI from the PS4 PRo & DirecTV box to the soundbar - but if peopled don't recommend that in my price range I'm definitely good with an optical cable as well.

Any thoughts here?
I'm in essentially the same boat (same model, same ~$300 budget, same desire for a 4K passthrough). Can anyone recommend a good option? Or elonepb, did you find a good setup since this post?
post #1329 of 1348 Old 02-01-2017, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 602 Post(s)
Liked: 214
I have Vizio P50.

I recently bought a Samsung HW-K450 which has both HDMI IN HDMI ARC and Optical connections. It is only a 2.1 Sound bar that came with the wireless subwoofer. I was going to get the model below this one which is the Samsung HW-K36 which DOES NOT have a HDMI connection.

Am I wasting money on the K450 with the HDMI input since its only a 2.1. Guess my question is, does it even mater if I have HDMI on the soundbar since its only a 2.1 Soundbar?
post #1330 of 1348 Old 02-05-2017, 11:47 AM

Seems like there's more asking for advice than giving in this thread.
post #1331 of 1348 Old 02-06-2017, 10:41 AM

Sound bar for Toshiba TV

I have a Toshiba 37E200U TV which has HDMI, RCA, and Optical audio out.

There is no way to disable the built in speakers through the menu on this TV, none that I've found anyway. Does this matter?

What I want is a cheap sound bar that will allow me to control the audio with the TV remote.

My question is, am I not going to find anything like this, or should I start looking harder? Am I wasting my time looking for this?

The sound quality doesn't matter to me. Anything will be better than the built in speakers. It's just very important that the audio controls are totally transparent to the user (my wife).
post #1332 of 1348 Old 02-06-2017, 11:01 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeposh View Post
I'm in essentially the same boat (same model, same ~$300 budget, same desire for a 4K passthrough). Can anyone recommend a good option? Or elonepb, did you find a good setup since this post?
I found two approximately $300 soundbars with 4K pass through.

1. Yamaha YAS-106 $199 from Crutchfield https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022YAS....html?tp=47366

2. Klipsch RSB-6 $399 from Klipsch (You may find the Klipsch at a lower price.) http://www.klipsch.com/products/refe...oundbars#rsb-6

Good luck

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Ultimate One Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

Last edited by 49Merc; 02-06-2017 at 11:29 AM.
post #1333 of 1348 Old 02-13-2017, 07:15 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Hello All.

I spent HOURS researching at AVSForum, and online, for a quality WIRELESS surround sound system for my new LG OLED 55B6P TV.

I was ready to buy the Yamaha SOUNDBAR YSP-5600 but read in one of the threads that it does NOT process HDR sound. That kind of makes it obsolete before you buy it ?

Anyway, my budget is $3000 MAX (prefer $2000), and as I said, I want a WIRELESS system. I have a BOSE Sountouch 130 in an UNopened box I recently bought at costco, and which I can return within 90 days, and which I paid $999. I want something better....better sound, more functionality, etc. But if I can't figure it out, I guess I will just keep it.

**I only own this ONE TV, and currently have no, what we called back in the day, "Stereo System". I have NOTHING.

So I want this sound system to produce good audio for my tv and also for music, streaming, ball games, etc. My "rocking" days are over...so LOUD is not what I am looking for...I want QUALITY SOUND reproduction for a relatively small room (20' x 20' with 11' ceiling).

I checked out SONOS, and when you start digging, you discover technical glitches, and a lousy tech support to deal with.

I won't bore you with more details....but would greatly appreciate some guidance.

THANKYOU
post #1334 of 1348 Old 02-13-2017, 07:40 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Bird View Post
Hello All.

I spent HOURS researching at AVSForum, and online, for a quality WIRELESS surround sound system for my new LG OLED 55B6P TV.

I was ready to buy the Yamaha SOUNDBAR YSP-5600 but read in one of the threads that it does NOT process HDR sound. That kind of makes it obsolete before you buy it ?

Anyway, my budget is $3000 MAX (prefer $2000), and as I said, I want a WIRELESS system. I have a BOSE Sountouch 130 in an UNopened box I recently bought at costco, and which I can return within 90 days, and which I paid $999. I want something better....better sound, more functionality, etc. But if I can't figure it out, I guess I will just keep it.

**I only own this ONE TV, and currently have no, what we called back in the day, "Stereo System". I have NOTHING.

So I want this sound system to produce good audio for my tv and also for music, streaming, ball games, etc. My "rocking" days are over...so LOUD is not what I am looking for...I want QUALITY SOUND reproduction for a relatively small room (20' x 20' with 11' ceiling).

I checked out SONOS, and when you start digging, you discover technical glitches, and a lousy tech support to deal with.

I won't bore you with more details....but would greatly appreciate some guidance.

THANKYOU
You may want to consider the newer Bose 300 Soundbar & 300 Wireless Subwoofer.

post #1335 of 1348 Old 02-18-2017, 04:47 PM
Advanced Member

Need Suggestions:
Returned: JBL SB450 due to sub and soundbar not staying connected plus the same issues that apparently plagued the SB400.

Looking at these:
Polk Audio Magnifi
Poll Audio MagniFi Mini
Yamaha YAS 106
Yamaha YAS 203
Klipsch RSB-6 or RSB-8

Leaning towards the YAS 106. Budget is about 2-400$. Would prefer shopping st BB due to credit and gift cards.
post #1336 of 1348 Old 02-19-2017, 09:23 AM

2 months of research and still no clearer

I'm hoping you guys can help me. I've been researching soundbars for my apartment and despite there being several strong contenders for my needs, each also seems to have its drawbacks.

I'm looking for a soundbar that will do a good job for AV (with at least passable surround), but also be the principle music playing device in the lounge.

For AV usage, it will be working with a 2014 Samsung F8500 Plasma, but the most frequent media source will be Smart TV itself (Amazon Video / Netflix) or the Spectrum cable box rather than Blu-Rays. I don't have any 4K equipment and no desire for it at this time, and no desire for SONOS.

For Audio, decent music quality and multiroom (ideally Airplay is key). I listen to R&B and classical.

Budget is $800-1200 US

Because brands tend to talk best to like brands, I started with the Samsung k950. It gets rave reviews for immersive sound and power, and, since patched, the impact of the rear speakers even on non-Atmos soundtracks. It would also connect best with the TV and Blu-ray player (also samsung). However, Samsung's multiroom audio isn't great and its not compatible with Airplay, which is annoying. Its also pricey.

The most connectable option is the Yamaha YSP-2700 which supports every standard and has plenty of connections. Its a little bit cheaper than the Samsung and people love the audio quality, but there is no way to connect it to rear speakers, which feels limiting ultimately.

A more cost-conscious option is the Sony NT-5, which has far fewer speakers (its 2.1) than the competition, but is half the price out of the box AND can be upgraded to include rear speakers in the future (bringing the price up closer to parity) if I want 5.1. The downside to the NT5 is it won't work as seamlessly with the Samsung kit (apparently needing its own remote a lot) and it only works with Airplay through Sony's own app.

I'm driving myself around in circles with this decision. Sometimes I'm all in for the K950, but the lack of airplay is annoying and reviews say it either sounds incredible or poor, depending on the source. The Yamaha seems like a nice compromise, but much more limited in terms of ability to go to full surround. The Sony could be a nice compromise but frustrating as I don't have a Sony TV.
post #1337 of 1348 Old 02-24-2017, 08:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
I found two approximately $300 soundbars with 4K pass through.

1. Yamaha YAS-106 $199 from Crutchfield https://www.crutchfield.com/p_022YAS....html?tp=47366

2. Klipsch RSB-6 $399 from Klipsch (You may find the Klipsch at a lower price.) http://www.klipsch.com/products/refe...oundbars#rsb-6

Good luck

Just FYI the Klipsch (no matter what one you buy) does NOT support DTS...only supports DD. The 106 supports both decodes.
post #1338 of 1348 Old 02-24-2017, 08:34 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sky Bird View Post
Hello All.

THANKYOU
Quote:
You may want to consider the newer Bose 300 Soundbar & 300 Wireless Subwoofer.

I second that. I currently have the ST300, AM300, and VI300 and it's a great system. It's getting better with each update as well.
post #1339 of 1348 Old 03-04-2017, 10:42 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I have recently purchased a Polk AM1528-A for a great price ($99). The soundbar is 240w total which I know is low for most but I do live in an apartment so I can't really blast it anyhow without the broomstick being banged on the ceiling below me. One thing , no HDMI, which currently is not a dealbreaker. I have a Samsung TV , think 2011 model that is the PN59D6500 which I don't think supports ARC.

I was considering returning it and buying the wholesale club version Samsung HW-KM45C which I think is same as K450. The Samsung is $80 more but the advantages are:

1) It is same brand as tv
2)It can be expanded to a 5.1 systems using Samsung Rear Speaker Expansion Kit SWA-8000S
3) It is 300w compared to 240w
4) It has HDMI (though I do not think my tv supports this)

Also, I have hear mixed opinions on whether or not the K450 and SWA-8000s support true 5.1 surround sound through rear speakers. It may be that some people just forget to turn the feature on at the soundbar or if peoples complaints are correct and that K550 is needed for true surround

Thoughts - keep the Polk for now and eventually when I want to expand sell it on craigslist and buy a 5.1 soundbar system together (I tried Vizio , was not happy) - or go through return hassle, spend the additional $80 for Samsung ??? The Polk box is sitting in my living room unopened.
post #1340 of 1348 Old 03-05-2017, 03:49 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 468 Post(s)
Liked: 201
Hey all. I have a klipsch system on my main OLED TV but this is for a 40" sony that I have downstairs I use it ONLY for video games. I am going to be getting an iscan HD+ so I'm going to need a soundbar that I will be sending audio to. I wouldn't mind a bump up from the TV's speakers either. So basically I just need recommendations of the best bang for your buck budget sound bar. Maybe something under $100. I actually don't need it loud, don't care about how loud it gets. More important is just a nice "full" natural sound.

Main room (3D blu ray, PS4) - LG 65EG9600: Denon x4000, Klipsch RC-62II, RF-62II x2, RS-41II x2, SVS PC-12NSD + Klipsch RW12d
Couple small LCDs - PS2, PS1, Dreamcast, N64, 3DO, Saturn and other various retro game collections MINT COMPLETE games
post #1341 of 1348 Old 03-06-2017, 06:26 AM
Advanced Member

Klipsch RSB-6
Yamaha YAS-106 with added sub (since I hear its the better sounding with added sub vs YAS 203)
Denon DHT-S514 Soundbar.

Last on the list would be: Samsung K550.

I have heard the RSB-11 but its pretty expensive and does not support DTS decode only DD. Heard the Denon yesterday at BB and thought it sounded good but a bit "speaker in a box" type sound. The Yamaha YAS-203 is nice but I hear the YAS 106 is better with added sub. Was able to hear the YAS-106 at PC Richards and without the sub it still had pretty decent bass that impressed and the sound was good. Havent been able to hear the RSB-6 but compared the RSB-11 I'm sure its worse sounding because it has 4 speakers instead of 6.

Not really sure what to do here. The Denon is probably last on my list, has heat issues and BT isn't as great as the Klipsch. The YAS-106 has caught my eye for months now has great reviews and is recommended everywhere the YAS-203 isn't. I'm so confused. Wish BB was better set up with all the things they offer online because the RSB-6 is not at store or any store to test. And there are not that many reviews on it.

Thanks
post #1342 of 1348 Old 03-07-2017, 07:38 PM

What I have currently:
Soundbar: Sony HT-ST7 soundbar + subwoofer. There is a single HDMI in ARC output going to the TV ARC
TV: LG 2016 OLED 65 B6
Sources via HDMI to TV: PS4 Pro, Samsung UBD‑K8500 UHD Bluray player, and my cable Set Top box
Currently, the TV is set to output sound through the ARC, auto switching between LPCM, DTS, Dolby based on the source.
My sources all go to the TV since the soundbar is old and does not let 4k HDR passthrough (which I use on the Samsung player and PS4).
The TV seems to passthrough 5.1 surround to the soundbar, but I can't tell for sure since I'm not a huge audiophile. PS4 outputs at Dolby Bitstream, Samsung at uncompressed bitstream. It seems like the B6 is capable of passing this to the soundbar, and the soundbar does recognize the source (DTS v Dolby v LCPM), but it doesn't say if it is outputting at 5.1 or 2.1.
I also have a small living room in a condo with rectangular walls and a flat, standard ceiling.
Wiring for a full surround setup is not feasible.

What I want:
No real budget
I want to upgrade my soundbar. I would like to get the full Atmos experience on some of my UHD Blurays through the Samsung player. I also use the Plex app on my TV for most of my other watching content, and a majority of time on the PS4.
Basically, I want an upgrade for
1) Movies in Plex (5.1) through the B6 TV app
2) UHD Blurays through the Samsung player
3) games on the PS4 Pro

I would also like to know if these soundbars would be an upgrade over the ST7 in playing 2.0 content like TV shows

I wanted to know which soundbar -- the Sony HT-ST5000 or Samsung HW-K950 makes sense for me which seem to be the two players in this domain. From my understanding, here are some preliminary concerns
Sony -- Unlike the Samsung, there are no rear speakers. Would this be an upgrade for 1 and 3? I am sure Atmos will sound very different, but will it output audio that sounds very noticeably different from the ST7 on movies (5.1) on Plex or games on the PS4? Not out, so no reviews yet
Samsung -- Unlike the Sony, it cannot decode DTS. I have no idea how much of a practical problem this can be for me. It seems like I can get the PS4 to output only in bitstream Dolby though I don't know if that will result in a difference, but for those items in DTS in Plex? Will this end up being a downgrade? It can handle Atmos on the Samsung, and all my UHD Blurays say Dolby on them, so there should be no problem here I think since I will be focused on buying UHD Blurays that all seem capable of Dolby I think, with quite a few now being capable of Dolby Atmos.
Reviews are out, seem like people really like the audio but have some practical issues with this also.
post #1343 of 1348 Old 03-08-2017, 06:40 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by elonepb View Post

Any thoughts here?
I've been told Kilepch has good units in your price range.

post #1344 of 1348 Old 03-08-2017, 06:44 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlange01221 View Post
What I have currently:
Soundbar: Sony HT-ST7 soundbar + subwoofer. There is a single HDMI in ARC output going to the TV ARC
TV: LG 2016 OLED 65 B6
Sources via HDMI to TV: PS4 Pro, Samsung UBD‑K8500 UHD Bluray player, and my cable Set Top box
Currently, the TV is set to output sound through the ARC, auto switching between LPCM, DTS, Dolby based on the source.
My sources all go to the TV since the soundbar is old and does not let 4k HDR passthrough (which I use on the Samsung player and PS4).
The TV seems to passthrough 5.1 surround to the soundbar, but I can't tell for sure since I'm not a huge audiophile. PS4 outputs at Dolby Bitstream, Samsung at uncompressed bitstream. It seems like the B6 is capable of passing this to the soundbar, and the soundbar does recognize the source (DTS v Dolby v LCPM), but it doesn't say if it is outputting at 5.1 or 2.1.
I also have a small living room in a condo with rectangular walls and a flat, standard ceiling.
Wiring for a full surround setup is not feasible.

What I want:
No real budget
I want to upgrade my soundbar. I would like to get the full Atmos experience on some of my UHD Blurays through the Samsung player. I also use the Plex app on my TV for most of my other watching content, and a majority of time on the PS4.
Basically, I want an upgrade for
1) Movies in Plex (5.1) through the B6 TV app
2) UHD Blurays through the Samsung player
3) games on the PS4 Pro

I would also like to know if these soundbars would be an upgrade over the ST7 in playing 2.0 content like TV shows

I wanted to know which soundbar -- the Sony HT-ST5000 or Samsung HW-K950 makes sense for me which seem to be the two players in this domain. From my understanding, here are some preliminary concerns
Sony -- Unlike the Samsung, there are no rear speakers. Would this be an upgrade for 1 and 3? I am sure Atmos will sound very different, but will it output audio that sounds very noticeably different from the ST7 on movies (5.1) on Plex or games on the PS4? Not out, so no reviews yet
Samsung -- Unlike the Sony, it cannot decode DTS. I have no idea how much of a practical problem this can be for me. It seems like I can get the PS4 to output only in bitstream Dolby though I don't know if that will result in a difference, but for those items in DTS in Plex? Will this end up being a downgrade? It can handle Atmos on the Samsung, and all my UHD Blurays say Dolby on them, so there should be no problem here I think since I will be focused on buying UHD Blurays that all seem capable of Dolby I think, with quite a few now being capable of Dolby Atmos.
Reviews are out, seem like people really like the audio but have some practical issues with this also.
The advice I can give is to make absolutely sure your room is suitable for Atmos (ceiling, walls, windows, furniture, etc.). Good luck

post #1345 of 1348 Old 03-08-2017, 02:14 PM

Quote:
The advice I can give is to make absolutely sure your room is suitable for Atmos (ceiling, walls, windows, furniture, etc.). Good luck
Thanks for your input! I believe my room is suitable since it is rectangular with a standard flat ceiling, but obviously I am no expert. Do you know what I should watch out for? The wall behind the TV is mostly windows (except for the part with the TV) as well as the wall to the left of the TV (facing the TV) where I have my subwoofer right now. Couch is directly in front of the TV spaced by I would say at least 10 feet. Behind the couch is an island kitchen/hallway, so there isn't too much surface to bounce off of. Right wall is standard. I have a couch, coffee tables, dining table for furniture. It seems standard to me.
post #1346 of 1348 Old 03-08-2017, 07:22 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlange01221 View Post
Thanks for your input! I believe my room is suitable since it is rectangular with a standard flat ceiling, but obviously I am no expert. Do you know what I should watch out for? The wall behind the TV is mostly windows (except for the part with the TV) as well as the wall to the left of the TV (facing the TV) where I have my subwoofer right now. Couch is directly in front of the TV spaced by I would say at least 10 feet. Behind the couch is an island kitchen/hallway, so there isn't too much surface to bounce off of. Right wall is standard. I have a couch, coffee tables, dining table for furniture. It seems standard to me.
Suggest you research optimal room layouts for Atmos. May also help to seek information from your Atmos Soundbar mfg. I actually know very little about Atmos. Before retiring I was a Logistician. Methods of obtaining data skill set was often used in my position. Very happy for you.

post #1347 of 1348 Old 03-11-2017, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 11
OK, this is a weird one, so bear with me a bit.

We own a Peloton cycle - it is a spin bike that streams classes directly to you. One of the main things we don't like is the sound. They put the speakers on the back of the tablet, so (a) they spam sound all over the place except where you are and (b) they are absolute crap.

I've been thinking about buying a small inexpensive soundbar, and mounting it above the screen off of the post somehow. Probably something in the 20" range and then figuring out how to clamp it. It'd be fine if it has a separate little subwoofer for more bass.

So requirements are:

1. 20" or less length
2. Wall or bracket mountable
3. 2.0 or 2.1 (actually I don't care if it is stereo, but I doubt there are any mono ones).
4. Able to accept 3.5mm or RCA input
5. Under $150

Any suggestions? There is the Sceptre SB80-PS on Amazon. Insignia 2.0 from BestBuy.

I assume they all are pretty crappy, but I'd love to be proven wrong.

Denon X4300H | Salk Veracity ST | SVS SB13 Ultra | Neeo Remote (pending)
post #1348 of 1348 Old Today, 08:07 AM

I've been doing a lot of research on passive soundbars and have narrowed it down to two options - Phase Tech Teatro TSB3.0 and the Goldenear Supercinema 3d Array X. Has anyone listened to both and have thoughts comparing them? There aren't any Phase dealers nearby so no option to listen to it myself. Although price is not the ultimate consideration, I'm trying to gauge whether the Goldenear is effectively worth paying 50% more for. Couple details on usage:

- 70/30 home theater to music
- I will add a subwoofer but no other speakers
- Room size is 21x17 but the back of the room is entirely open (opens into kitchen)

Reviews for both products individually are very good but haven't found anything comparing the two. Thanks in advance for your help!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars