Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 47 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 46Likes

post #1381 of 1392 Old 05-30-2017, 08:19 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by markc72 View Post
Question, should I keep my Vizio SB3821-C6, or grab a Bose Cinemate Digital home theater speaker system for $100? The BOSE is only a red and white stereo connection, compared to the optical connection on the Vizio.
Save up for a much better soundbar. Cheap anything is just that cheap.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1382 of 1392 Old 05-31-2017, 10:47 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, I'm looking for a second opinion/recommendation regarding my situation

Current setup:
TV: Samsung 55KS7000
Audio: Denon AVR-1513 receiver with Polk Audio TL1 sat speakers and sub, via optical cable
Condo setup in an small, open room

Problem: I need to remove cables and would like to control audio through my Samsung TV/remote

I'm looking into 3 options:
  • Sony HT-NT5
  • Samsung HW-J7501
  • Samsung HW-K550

The Sony and J7501 I can get for roughly the same price, the K550 about half the price of the other ones. I think based on requirements the K550 would be a much better price/benefit option, but I'm not sure on the sound quality of this sound bar.

The Sony seems to be the better option of the 3, but I don't get the SoundConnect convenience.
post #1383 of 1392 Old 06-05-2017, 09:13 AM

Quoted: 53 Post(s)
Liked: 2
Does anyone have any idea what the Sony HT-CT800 has over the Sony HT-CT790 model? I'm mostly concerned about the input/output capabilities but also curious about the overall differences between the two. Anyone?

post #1384 of 1392 Old 06-15-2017, 01:00 PM

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 143 Post(s)
Liked: 108
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmx View Post
Hello, I'm looking for a second opinion/recommendation regarding my situation

Current setup:
TV: Samsung 55KS7000
Audio: Denon AVR-1513 receiver with Polk Audio TL1 sat speakers and sub, via optical cable
Condo setup in an small, open room

Problem: I need to remove cables and would like to control audio through my Samsung TV/remote

I'm looking into 3 options:
  • Sony HT-NT5
  • Samsung HW-J7501
  • Samsung HW-K550

The Sony and J7501 I can get for roughly the same price, the K550 about half the price of the other ones. I think based on requirements the K550 would be a much better price/benefit option, but I'm not sure on the sound quality of this sound bar.

The Sony seems to be the better option of the 3, but I don't get the SoundConnect convenience.
Don't buy Sony HT-NT5. Sony HT-NT5

Sony XBR55HX929 / LG OLED55C6P
Denon x4000 / PS3 Slim / BDP-S6200 / OPPO UDP-203
Roku 3 / WD TV Live /Chromecast / Fire TV stick
Speakers - DT PM1000 / PC2000 / Sony HTNT5
Sub - Power Sound Audio S1500
post #1385 of 1392 Old 06-16-2017, 01:13 PM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by krips View Post
Don't buy Sony HT-NT5.
I actually just bought the Samsung HW-J7501 yesterday, in part thanks to your comments in that thread plus I got an amazing deal on it.
post #1386 of 1392 Old 06-16-2017, 06:18 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 51 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I currently have a Sony HTCT550W that is gasping its last breath (subwoofer no longer comes on and receiver keeps flashing "Standby"). I'm going to troubleshoot, but I've had it for nearly five years and think it might be time to upgrade. I have a cabinet that currently holds the receiver and a TiVo Roamio, as well as a Roku and Chromecast. The TV is several feet away and the subwoofer is on the floor underneath it. I've noticed that with the newer soundbars the receiver is eliminated, and devices plug directly into the bar using HDMI. Obviously this is not a problem for the Roku and the Chromecast. They are small enough to hide behind the mounted TV. For the TiVo, I should be able to run a 25' HDMI. My question is, which soundbar? I can probably spend about $500, but would prefer to spend less if possible. An added bonus would be if I can mount the soundbar using my existing hardware, which shouldn't be a problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
post #1387 of 1392 Old 06-19-2017, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
I'm buying a LG 55" C7 television this Friday, and I've been looking at soundbars for the past few days. It's starting to drive me bonkers and is a little overwhelming with all the choices.

The room I'm putting it in is 14' x 16', with a 7' high drop ceiling in most of it. I don't need it to be really loud, but would like to have the option. I'm also thinking of getting one with hdmi ports, and that's 4k enabled. I'm undecided about armor yet. My price range is $300-$1000, but would like to keep it around $600-$700.

I would mainly like to hear from LG OLED owners, preferably this year or last years models, on what soundbars work well with these tvs. My biggest fear is buying a $700 soundbar, that for some reason has compatability issues with LG. I was looking at the LG SJ9, but I'm not wall mounting my tv and it would be hanging over my current tv stand ten inches on each side.

Any input or help will be appreciated, I'm usually pretty good at narrowing items I want to buy down quickly, but it's information overload with these soundbars.
post #1388 of 1392 Old 06-20-2017, 09:23 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am also looking for a soundbar (or base) option for an LG OLED 55". I just ordered the LG B7 55 from Costco. This TV is going to be going into a family room, so aesthetics are fairly important to me. I have an upstairs media room with a 5.1 system and a Panasonic 65" VT, so I am not looking for a home theater replacement. This family room OLED will primarily (probably exclusively) be used for streaming - netflix, Amazon prime etc. I really don't watch much of anything on discs, but if we did would do it upstairs in the media room.

I was leaning towards the Sonos Playbase. I know it gets a lot of hate here because of the optical only. For my needs, i.e. streaming and not needing to replace a full home theater which I have upstairs, will the optical only and the limited formats Sonos supports really be much of an issue? If so, what else should I look at in that price range that still looks good in a family room?

To start out with, I will probably wait and see how the TV's sound is, though I imagine I will find that lacking.
post #1389 of 1392 Old 06-20-2017, 09:37 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 398 Post(s)
Liked: 86
Quote:
Originally Posted by Walt Dockery View Post
I am also looking for a soundbar (or base) option for an LG OLED 55". I just ordered the LG B7 55 from Costco. This TV is going to be going into a family room, so aesthetics are fairly important to me. I have an upstairs media room with a 5.1 system and a Panasonic 65" VT, so I am not looking for a home theater replacement. This family room OLED will primarily (probably exclusively) be used for streaming - netflix, Amazon prime etc. I really don't watch much of anything on discs, but if we did would do it upstairs in the media room.

I was leaning towards the Sonos Playbase. I know it gets a lot of hate here because of the optical only. For my needs, i.e. streaming and not needing to replace a full home theater which I have upstairs, will the optical only and the limited formats Sonos supports really be much of an issue? If so, what else should I look at in that price range that still looks good in a family room?

To start out with, I will probably wait and see how the TV's sound is, though I imagine I will find that lacking.
Bose SoundTouch 130 or Bose SoundTouch 300 Soundbar with 300 Module (Sub).

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
post #1390 of 1392 Old 06-20-2017, 12:39 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Been looking at enough soundbars that I've had enough. Choosing a soundbar because the room I'm going with is not conducive to a different setup. (Open to other rooms on rear and one side, windows on the other, and TV on corner of front, yeah, not so much, huh)

Looked today at B&W Panorama 2. Sounded pretty good on movies, but I was a little unsure on the music side.

Here's what I'm considering:

Paradigm Soundscape w/ a sub. Not sure which one.
B&W Panorama 2 w/ a sub, possibly Martin Logan Dynamo 500

So in "I want my cake and eat it too"... What's the consensus on which has best (widest) soundstage, great dialogue, good musicality for 2 channel music, etcetera. Features like playfi or bluetooth are nice, but I think I can adapt either to at least get bluetooth.
post #1391 of 1392 Old Today, 12:16 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am interested in a soundbar since I just realized I am not going to be able to work my previous Definitive Technology surround sound system work from my previous home. The room is about 30' wide x 15' deep, with the right side open to another room, and the left side a wall with a brick fireplace. Rear wall has a doorwall. Have a Samsung JS8500 55" TV that I watch mainly movies and sports on. I really did not have a set budget, just not familiar enough to know if I spend more am I going to get my moneys worth for what I am using it for and the room it will be in? Or what to necessarily look for.

Thanks - Peter

Peter L.
post #1392 of 1392 Old Today, 01:42 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by shadowmx View Post
I actually just bought the Samsung HW-J7501 yesterday, in part thanks to your comments in that thread plus I got an amazing deal on it.
Would you recommend the Samsung HW-J7501? I’m looking to get a sound bar as the option for a whole ht setup isn’t something I’m interested in. The current tv I use now is 55ks8000
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars