Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 48 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 
 49Likes

post #1411 of 1427 Old 08-23-2017, 06:26 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello,

I just got a tcl 55p605 4k hdr tv. I am also getting the xbox one x. I am looking to pickup a soundbar and my max budget is $200. I have 2 cats so I don't want cords that a multi speaker setup would have. I want a soundbar that will also let me connect to it with my iphone. I want to be able to connect the xbox one x to it directly. I am no audiophile and when I ask for comparisons I only have my old ihome tower speaker that is about 4-5 feet to go by. I have limited mobility so I can't go to a store to check soundbars out. I am a little hard of hearing but my wife is not so she will notice the subtle sounds better then me. I don't plan to hang it on the wall due to our plaster walls. If I could safely hang it via command strips then I would do that.
This will be for our living room. How many times better can I expect the soundbar to be vs my tv speakers. Like 3x or 4x? While $200 may be low for speakers to me for just a speaker that is a lot so I want to make sure it's a big improvement over the tv speakers. Right now I am leaning towards the Yamaha Yas-107. The 106 seems to be highly praised and this is a updated version. I have read about it and it should support the hdr and 4k that my xbox one x will output. I don't know anything about dolby atmos or DTS X (sp? ). So in closing how would this be compared to my old ihome tower I used to have and how much better is this then my tv speakers. Also is this the best one to pick for my price? Thanks for any help you could provide.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1412 of 1427 Old 08-29-2017, 03:28 AM

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 6
Hi Everyone.
I'm a newbie here, moving into a new house and to save my marriage, I have to get rid of my Onkyo THX receiver and Polk THX speakers. I have a 24x24 living and just purchased a 65" LG 4K OLED (OMG, it is soooooo goood), first time I am looking at soundbars and need some recommendations on the best one I can get. I undertand that I won't be getting anything remotely close to the performance of my old setup but I do want one that is home theater worthy. I watch lots of blurays and netflix. After doing some research, I narrowed my search down to 4 options:
1. Creative Sonic Carrier. 15.2ch. Has Dolby Atmos. $5,799. https://us.creative.com/soniccarrier/
Pros:
-Has 17 speaker drivers and a single subwoofer with 2x10" drivers.
-dolby atmos
-website says it can go up to 2000W
Cons:
-Ridiculous price
-only one sub
-simulated surround
-no reviews
-$150 for shipping and have to pay returned shipping if I don't like it

2. Sony HTST5000. 7.1.2ch. Has Dolby Atmos. $1,299. https://www.sony.com/electronics/sound-bars/ht-st5000
Pros:
-dolby atmos
-Has Hi-res audio and Chromecast. Great for playing music as well as movies.

Cons:
-No DTS support? Saw reviews from Amazon that there is no DTS support for now, until a future firmware upgrade.
-simulated surround

3. Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra. 9.2ch or 7.2. Has DTSX. $1,099. https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-ultra-preorder and https://www.nakamichi-usa.com/shockwafe-elite-preorder
Pros:
-two 10" wirless subs!!!!!
-4 rear speakers, modular
-reviews decent on their 7.1 model on amazon
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019RD7LY8
-DTS:X and true surround
Cons:
-No up-firing speakers or Dolby Atmos
-no reviews

4. Samsung HW-K950/ZA. Has Dolby Atmos $1,197. https://www.amazon.com/Samsung-HW-K9...+k950+soundbar
Pros:
-dolby atmos
-4 upfiring speakers and rear wirless speakers
-reviews quite good on their 7.1 model on amazon

Cons:
-3.3 star reviews on Amazon

I am pretty sure I will not buy the Sonic Carrier without seeing any reviews so I will probably choose between the Sony or Nakamichi. What are your thoughts? Is having true surround vs simulated surround a big deal? Is there a better option out there?
post #1413 of 1427 Old 08-31-2017, 10:27 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Decisions decisions

Hi Folks – I am a sound bar newbie and wanted to make a good decision on purchasing one. I have a 55” Sony XBR7 TV and want to get something done about the sound. I have been reading and researching to the point that I am lost. Reviews on some of the ones I am interested in (i.e. Sony HT-NT5 user reviews and WONT buy) are scary and makes me hesitant about taking the plunge. Don’t want something that will give me trouble weeks or months into the future; prefer something that is reliable and satisfying to own. My price range is $100-600 . I have a Blu-ray player and Directv Genie as inputs. HDMI would be great since all the cords are there and waiting to be plugged in. But, I would consider something else if need be. My speaker height will have to be about 2.5 inches or less since the TV is on a cabinet. Any thoughts?

post #1414 of 1427 Old 08-31-2017, 07:29 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 432 Post(s)
Liked: 93
Quote:
Originally Posted by mallow56 View Post
Hi Folks – I am a sound bar newbie and wanted to make a good decision on purchasing one. I have a 55” Sony XBR7 TV and want to get something done about the sound. I have been reading and researching to the point that I am lost. Reviews on some of the ones I am interested in (i.e. Sony HT-NT5 user reviews and WONT buy) are scary and makes me hesitant about taking the plunge. Don’t want something that will give me trouble weeks or months into the future; prefer something that is reliable and satisfying to own. My price range is $100-600 . I have a Blu-ray player and Directv Genie as inputs. HDMI would be great since all the cords are there and waiting to be plugged in. But, I would consider something else if need be. My speaker height will have to be about 2.5 inches or less since the TV is on a cabinet. Any thoughts?
You may want to consider increasing your budget.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

LG OLED 55EG9100 Calibrated by Best Buy Geek Squad
post #1415 of 1427 Old 09-06-2017, 06:46 PM

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
You may want to consider increasing your budget.
His budget is up to $600. Nothing appropriate fits under that?
post #1416 of 1427 Old 09-07-2017, 08:43 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

With the XBR he purchased, IMO, I thought a higher grade soundbar with sub might be better. I do err by not mentioning a sub.

LG OLED 55EG9100 HDTV, DirecTV HD DVR Genie HR44, DirecTV AM21 OTA Receiver, Sony BDPS6500 Blu-Ray, Bose Soundtouch 130 HTC (Sound Bar), Panamax MR5100 Power Manager, Harmony Elite Remote, Monoprice AV Cables

post #1417 of 1427 Old 09-07-2017, 01:53 PM

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 1
Does anyone know where I can listen to a Creative Sonic Carrier Soundbar?
Thx
post #1418 of 1427 Old 09-20-2017, 11:52 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Hey All I am coming from a onkyo receiver with 2 front speakers and a center speaker. I was never able to get the full 5.1 setup and I am by no means an audiophile. I am looking to get rid of my entertainment center and just have my tv with a soundbar under it. Looking to spend under $400 my tv is a 65" Samsung KS8000. Thoughts? Just looking on amazon I was looking at the Sony CT800 or the Samsung HW-K650. Friend of mine told me I dont need to worry about any 4k stuff on a soundbar because ARC will pass all the audio to the tv inputs. Any help/suggestions would be great.
post #1419 of 1427 Old 09-20-2017, 08:30 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by djtoodles View Post
Hey All I am coming from a onkyo receiver with 2 front speakers and a center speaker. I was never able to get the full 5.1 setup and I am by no means an audiophile. I am looking to get rid of my entertainment center and just have my tv with a soundbar under it. Looking to spend under $400 my tv is a 65" Samsung KS8000. Thoughts? Just looking on amazon I was looking at the Sony CT800 or the Samsung HW-K650. Friend of mine told me I dont need to worry about any 4k stuff on a soundbar because ARC will pass all the audio to the tv inputs. Any help/suggestions would be great.
First, I would not believe my friend and secondly after purchasing such a nice television I would suggest you also buy a really good soundbar. Many good brands and models.
DaveMatthewsLover likes this.

post #1420 of 1427 Old 09-21-2017, 06:22 AM

Quoted: 19 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by 49Merc View Post
First, I would not believe my friend and secondly after purchasing such a nice television I would suggest you also buy a really good soundbar. Many good brands and models.
Budget is budget.
post #1421 of 1427 Old 09-21-2017, 06:24 AM
AVS Forum Special Member

I certainly understand.

post #1422 of 1427 Old 09-30-2017, 02:12 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Looking for some advice:

I recently purchased the LG 75SJ8570 TV. I have a Pioneer AVR, 7.1 setup so I'm good for watching my current Blueray collection. As 4K and Dolby Vision, etc. become more prevalent I'll need to upgrade the AVR/BlueRay but that's another day.

Right now I'm looking for a sound bar to be used for casual watching, mostly Xfinity/Netflix content. I'm looking for something with good quality audio, but I don't really even need 5.1. A good quality 3.1 system would work fine. Would like to keep in mind I will upgrade the AVR setup so would like it to continue to fit in when I do.

Thanks in advance for suggestions.
post #1423 of 1427 Old 10-02-2017, 02:08 PM
AVS Forum Special Member

Quoted: 31 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Hi! I'm looking for a passive 3.0 soundbar that will be paired with a SVS or HSU sub and a mid level AVR. It's only for movies, TV, and games. Height needs to be at least less than 6". Any recommendations?
post #1424 of 1427 Old 10-02-2017, 08:07 PM

Liked: 10
Help me choose a soundbar!

Hi,
Looking for advice on a soundbar selection. I firmly believe that anything will be an improvement over my TV's built-in speakers. Please help because I really do not know how to choose.

We watch primetime shows and the occasional PLEXed movie.
The room has an open layout to the kitchen and dining room on one side and door and windows to the other. The TV is centered on the wall but the couch is a bit offset.

Budget is up to $500

Current setup:
- TV - Sharp LC-50LB261U Roku Ready
- Roku Streaming Stick MHL Version 3400M
- Antenna

Requirements:
- Built quality
- Clarity
- Ease of use (for wife and kids)
- Sub

Preferences:
- 5.1 (surrounds would have to be mounted high)
- Optional sub output for a 3rd party sub

Don't care for:
- Super loud

Some models that have caught my eyes:
- VIZIO SB3851-C0
- Yamaha YSP-107
- Yamaha YAS-203
- Yamaha YSP-1600
- Klipsch R-10B
- Klipsch R-20B
post #1425 of 1427 Old 10-05-2017, 09:14 AM

Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Hello, newbie question. I'm currently using a 5.1 setup. HDMI Arc connected from samsung TV to receiver, and if I wanna add/use a sound bar to just watch Netflix from the built-in tv app or cable box using a toslink connection, do I need to unplug the HDMI cable each time or both cables can be plugged at the same time without problems?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
post #1426 of 1427 Old 10-13-2017, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveMatthewsLover View Post
Hi Everyone.
I'm a newbie here, moving into a new house and to save my marriage, I have to get rid of my Onkyo THX receiver and Polk THX speakers. I have a 24x24 living and just purchased a 65" LG 4K OLED (OMG, it is soooooo goood), first time I am looking at soundbars and need some recommendations on the best one I can get. I undertand that I won't be getting anything remotely close to the performance of my old setup but I do want one that is home theater worthy. I watch lots of blurays and netflix. After doing some research, I narrowed my search down to 4 options:
[B]1. Creative Sonic Carrier. 15.2ch. Has Dolby Atmos. $5,799.
Pros:
-Has 17 speaker drivers and a single subwoofer with 2x10" drivers.
-dolby atmos
-website says it can go up to 2000W
Cons:
-Ridiculous price
-only one sub
-simulated surround
-no reviews
-$150 for shipping and have to pay returned shipping if I don't like it

[B]2. Sony HTST5000. 7.1.2ch. Has Dolby Atmos. $1,299.
-dolby atmos
-Has Hi-res audio and Chromecast. Great for playing music as well as movies.

Cons:
-No DTS support? Saw reviews from Amazon that there is no DTS support for now, until a future firmware upgrade.
-simulated surround

[B]3. Nakamichi Shockwafe Ultra. 9.2ch or 7.2. Has DTSX. $1,099.
Pros:
-two 10" wirless subs!!!!!
-4 rear speakers, modular
-reviews decent on their 7.1 model on amazon
-DTS:X and true surround
Cons:
-No up-firing speakers or Dolby Atmos
-no reviews

[B]4. Samsung HW-K950/ZA. Has Dolby Atmos $1,197.
Pros:
-dolby atmos
-4 upfiring speakers and rear wirless speakers
-reviews quite good on their 7.1 model on amazon

Cons:
-3.3 star reviews on Amazon

I am pretty sure I will not buy the Sonic Carrier without seeing any reviews so I will probably choose between the Sony or Nakamichi. What are your thoughts? Is having true surround vs simulated surround a big deal? Is there a better option out there?
I guess Sonic Carrier aims to provide more clean and convenient setup while Nakamichi has the advantage of discrete surround channels, which is better in surround effect and less environment-dependent for the surround sound setup.
post #1427 of 1427 Old 10-14-2017, 01:21 AM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Guess I'll post here since seeing the Sony HT-ST5000 got me interested. Recently bought an LG B7. (55")

Listening distance: 3.5ft (computer use), 5ft (middle of room, dancing, or whatever) or 8.5ft (watching a movie).
Ceiling height: 7.5ft.
Room width (distance perpendicular to TV): ~14.5ft
Room length (distance from TV to other wall): ~10.5ft
Floors are laminate too. (It can get a bit harsh sounding)

The room is not very square at all. It has a stairway in one corner, bathroom takes up an L shaped amount of space in the room, and yeah... it's got a hallway to the kitchen. It's not very square but hopefully that doesn't matter too much?

Anyway, I'm looking at soundbars now because I've just about had it with trying to make this room work as multipurpose all the while being scared of knocking my speakers over. We want it to be our dance room, our living room, my computer desk room (I game and do work from this room), and an area to watch movies. We're severely limited on space and I have a 2.1 system right now that's been difficult to use without putting something in the way of the speakers. I have 2x Yamaha HS80M and a HSW10 sub. And, as you may know, they're not really meant for watching movies or anything. They're meant to make everything that's been edited poorly sound like crap and they do a decent job at that... But they also take up a lot of space and get in the way because they're pretty sizable and I have them on large speaker stands. I've had them for a few years and I've always enjoyed them but if I can sell them for a decent price, a soundbar sounds like a nobrainer with our current and foreseeable living situation.

What do you think would be a good solution here? I'm looking for something that will work flawlessly with a PC, my LG TV, and potentially some other sources like an iPhone or what not. (Doesn't need to have special apps or anything. Just 3.5mm would be nice) Media consumption will mostly be through Netflix or other streaming services (or files I download and then playback through my PC). I don't see myself ever owning physical media. I don't need the system to be really loud because we are in an in-law unit and do share a wall with the front of the house. We also don't really listen to things at movie theater sound levels anyway. (Just seems unnecessary and hard on hearing)

Any thoughts? Thanks in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page