Wow... the more I read, the less I'm sure about what I want. I had been convinced that I wanted the Vizio VHT510 (is the 520 ever coming out?) but... well, maybe you guys can help me make up my mind.
My current equipment:
- TV: Toshiba 40RV525r, which is 40" TV with RCA and optical audio out (supposedly it can output PCM or Dolby Digital)
- A BluRay player with HDMI out
- A TiVo with HDMI out
- An Xbox 360 with HDMI out
- A Wii with component out
- A PC with HDMI or VGA out
- Currently the TV sits on top of a 2' tall (or so) entertainment center. The wall behind the TV is only about 3-4 feet tall, and behind that is the kitchen. I mention this because it could affect my mounting/positioning options.
All of this is currently connected directly to the TV (3 HDMIs, 1 component, 1 VGA), but that means I'm basically out of inputs. I currently use a 10+ year old 2.1 speaker system, connected directly to the TV on the RCA outs. I really like the simplicity of not having a receiver, and I'm OK with having to manually change inputs on the TV.
So that's what I have. Here's what I'd like:
- I'm looking at soundbars because we're tired of the cats knocking the speakers over, which are currently just standing on top of the entertainment center next to the TV.
- A 5.1 sound system - or at least I think I want that. I've read enough on this forum that I'm curious (but skeptical) about the virtualized systems. Do they really work?
- If I do have actual rear speakers, I like the idea of wireless ones. I'm in an apartment and any attempt to hide speaker wires would be awkward at best.
- If I do have a subwoofer, I like the idea of wireless for that too. My couch is a little unusual in that it has a lot of empty space inside that's easy to access; would it be a sin to put the subwoofer inside the couch?
- Simplicity of use: if I can avoid adding an extra remote, my wife would really appreciate it
- Future expansion capability: like I said, I'm basically out of inputs. I understand some soundbars can act as simplified receivers; are there any that have 5+ HDMI inputs *and* at least one component? (This point is definitely negotiable.)
I don't have any specific budget cap in mind, but lower is always better. I'd rather have a little bit lower price tag than a little bit nicer sound.
Wow, that's a lot more info than I was expecting to dump on you guys. Kudos if you made it this far! I'd appreciate any advice you might have for my situation.
Oh, and a noob question: it doesn't look to me like a sound bar could fit underneath the TV. If I were to get a soundbar, would I mount it on top? Would I get an alternate (taller) stand than the one that came with the TV? How does that work? :S