Official "help me choose a soundbar" thread - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #151 of 984 Old 05-12-2012, 05:46 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Happy with the sound out of the s401 very impressive. Works through Sky and sounds very good.

However the media PC is playing sound and detecting picture changes eg from 720p to 1080i or 1080p etc but not getting any image at all through the Panasonic ST50 just a black screen.

Anyone heard of similar things happening with any other devices.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 984 Old 05-12-2012, 06:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourname00 View Post

Happy with the sound out of the s401 very impressive. Works through Sky and sounds very good.

However the media PC is playing sound and detecting picture changes eg from 720p to 1080i or 1080p etc but not getting any image at all through the Panasonic ST50 just a black screen.

Anyone heard of similar things happening with any other devices.

Nevermind simple soluation of sometimes needing to turn off the s401 when switching between devices.
post #153 of 984 Old 05-18-2012, 11:34 AM

Liked: 10
Getting ready to pull the trigger on a soundbar for the living room.

Samsung HDTV (less than a yeat old, directly connected to CAT5)
DirecTV DVR, HD
Samsung Blu-Ray player

Thinking of the Samsung HW-E450C. Only negative items I've read are regarding getting the DirecTV remote to adjust the volume. Wouldn't be the end of the world if I had to use the TV remote, need to use it now to go to DVD's, Netflix, etc

Opinions of the fans in the stands?

Jeff
post #154 of 984 Old 05-27-2012, 03:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 17 Post(s)
Liked: 31
Is there a soundbar that has inputs from an A/V receiver's center channel speaker outputs as well as inputs from a TV?
post #155 of 984 Old 05-28-2012, 08:01 PM

I am close to pulling the trigger on a soundbar my room is 19x13 with 4 good walls.The TV is a 60 inch Samsung led it is in the center of the 19 foot wall with the couch being on the opposite wall

I am considering the Hk SB30 and the ysp2200 very similar except the ysp has hdmi which I like but I am not sure if it should be a make or break issue for me.

I am also considering the Sony HT-CT550 because the price is so much lower and to counter that price point I like what I hear about the Polk 6000.

Any suggestions would be very appreciated

Last question does anyone have experience with savinglots.com they have the ysp 2200 for around 560+shipping seems too good to be true.
post #156 of 984 Old 06-07-2012, 06:50 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Greetings all,

I need to see if there are any specific settings for the audio on my BR player to improve the overall performance of the bar. I have the SB 30 connected directly to the BR player and HDMI to the TV from the BR player.

I currently have a 5.1 in the family room. This is going into the theater room. The SB 30 is in the family room. I am used to having a system that is too loud...I want something that will piss off my wife and make her ask me to turn it down. I do not want to injure my ears...but want the ability to do so. I thought after demo'ing the SB 16 at BB that the added drivers in the SB 30 would be that option. The surround effect is great at low and high volumes, the bass is wall rattling and you can feel it in your chest. The problem is with the volume at it's max it is loud, but not that loud. I can't max out my current 5.1 and I realize that the 2 are totally different so I am trying not to compare the 2. Thoughts? Other suggestions? The Bose is out of my $ range. I am posting this in the HK SB 30 forum as well. Thanks in advance.

Nick
post #157 of 984 Old 06-08-2012, 12:21 AM

Hi
I'm looking for a soundbar that matches my pioneer kuro. i have narrowed down my choices to a harman kardon sb 16 vs polk iht6000.
which of the 3 sounds the best and which will give me the best value?

edit:removed yamaha, way over my budget.
post #158 of 984 Old 06-08-2012, 11:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kaw View Post

Hi
I'm looking for a soundbar that matches my pioneer kuro. i have narrowed down my choices to a harman kardon sb 16 vs polk iht6000.
which of the 3 sounds the best and which will give me the best value?
edit:removed yamaha, way over my budget.

Since SB 16 is on your list, how about the newer SB 30? I recently got it and is quite please with it. It improved upon the SB 16's short comings (added remote, more surround modes, more drivers, smaller subwoofer size, lessen the soundbar height...though quite a bit longer, and has DB &DTS decoding now. Seems like a decent upgrade. I do wish it had HDMI inputs, but its not a big deal.
post #159 of 984 Old 06-09-2012, 11:59 AM

I'm thinking of getting the HTSB250, but was wondering if there's anything better at that price range (£100). By "better" I mean sound quality. I don't really care about additional channels, and how many formats it's capable of decoding isn't important as far as I know. If it helps, the viewing area (or listening area) is roughly 11′ by 14′ in size. I don't really want the sound leaking outside too much as the area is essentially one half of the living room.
post #160 of 984 Old 06-10-2012, 10:37 AM

Hi
I am looking a soundbar that matches my future OPTOMA ML500. I have a hd-player with hdmi and optical output.
1 yamaha ysp-2200
2 harman karton sb30
Both of them are same price, and are there any diffenent about them ?

thanks alot!
post #161 of 984 Old 06-10-2012, 06:51 PM

My choice will boil down between the following sound bar speakers:

1) Energy Power Bar
2) Energy Power Bar Elite
3) Harman Kardon SB 16

Helpful reviews will really matter. To be used mainly for movies and acoustic musics. Thanks
post #162 of 984 Old 06-10-2012, 10:18 PM

I'm currently leaning towards getting a Yamaha YSP-4100 and the best sub in the $300-500 range to compliment a Sharp LC-80LE844. Any input on this combo?

This will be used for TV/Movies/Gaming
post #163 of 984 Old 06-11-2012, 09:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mpchi View Post

Since SB 16 is on your list, how about the newer SB 30? I recently got it and is quite please with it. It improved upon the SB 16's short comings (added remote, more surround modes, more drivers, smaller subwoofer size, lessen the soundbar height...though quite a bit longer, and has DB &DTS decoding now. Seems like a decent upgrade. I do wish it had HDMI inputs, but its not a big deal.

I Can't get the sb30, Its nice but it's above my budget. My only choices are the Polk or the harman kardon. So which of the two sound the best?
post #164 of 984 Old 06-11-2012, 07:17 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by mike kaw View Post

I Can't get the sb30, Its nice but it's above my budget. My only choices are the Polk or the harman kardon. So which of the two sound the best?

What is your budget? Have you demo'd the energy power bars?
post #165 of 984 Old 06-12-2012, 11:48 AM

I was wondering if anyone who has or had the Sony HT-CT550W can help with some concerns I have. In the small research I've done the reviews seem to be very mixed on sound quality. Is the quality lacking given the price of the unit or does the trade-off of a wireless sub and HDMI switching off set the issues with audio? It'd be mainly used with TV audio, an occasional movie and occasional music use via my HTPC. My other option is the YAS-101 as it also fits into my budget ($300 or less) but with it only doing optical audio I'd loose the music option via HTPC.
post #166 of 984 Old 06-13-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankspin View Post

I was wondering if anyone who has or had the Sony HT-CT550W can help with some concerns I have. In the small research I've done the reviews seem to be very mixed on sound quality. Is the quality lacking given the price of the unit or does the trade-off of a wireless sub and HDMI switching off set the issues with audio? It'd be mainly used with TV audio, an occasional movie and occasional music use via my HTPC. My other option is the YAS-101 as it also fits into my budget ($300 or less) but with it only doing optical audio I'd loose the music option via HTPC.

I purchased the 550W for the wireless sub. As for sound quality, I can't really say as I have not tested it against any other units. The hdmi switching works well as it switches from TV to my Blu ray. However, when I turn the TV on, the 550W receiver has to be manually turned on. The 550W receiver is connected via hdmi (ARC) to my TV. Currently my cable box is connected to my TV via RCA cable. It takes my samsung 46es6500 a good 5 seconds to establish a connection to the 550w before sound starts coming out of the soundbar. For its price and usage, I'd say this soundbar/sound quality is about average. Most would suggest the 150W for better sound but I didn't have space for the subwoofer by the TV stand. I mounted the soundbar above my TV as most say that's better for the sound quality.
frankspin likes this.
post #167 of 984 Old 06-14-2012, 06:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi1ll View Post

I purchased the 550W for the wireless sub. As for sound quality, I can't really say as I have not tested it against any other units. The hdmi switching works well as it switches from TV to my Blu ray. However, when I turn the TV on, the 550W receiver has to be manually turned on. The 550W receiver is connected via hdmi (ARC) to my TV. Currently my cable box is connected to my TV via RCA cable. It takes my samsung 46es6500 a good 5 seconds to establish a connection to the 550w before sound starts coming out of the soundbar. For its price and usage, I'd say this soundbar/sound quality is about average. Most would suggest the 150W for better sound but I didn't have space for the subwoofer by the TV stand. I mounted the soundbar above my TV as most say that's better for the sound quality.
Thanks this was super helpful. I can't put the sub near my TV either which is why the 550W is appealing to me. I wont be able to use ARC since my TV is older, will this matter?, but I'll have to pay attention to possible delays in sound. I was going to order this online since it's cheaper but I may need to buy from a store for ease of return convenience.
post #168 of 984 Old 06-14-2012, 02:13 PM

No. The 550W provides a digital optical cable if i remember correctly. Optical Cable : YES (2.5m) (for TV)
post #169 of 984 Old 06-15-2012, 01:47 AM

Can someone help me find a bar with good virtual surround please? I know it won't sound like a real 5.1 setup, but just something that sounds believable is fine. Thanks.
post #170 of 984 Old 06-15-2012, 05:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wi1ll View Post

No. The 550W provides a digital optical cable if i remember correctly. Optical Cable : YES (2.5m) (for TV)
So the TV needs to be on for this to work? If that's the case the added benefit of HDMI and wireless is not worth it to me. I'll save some money and go with the YAS-101.
post #171 of 984 Old 06-20-2012, 07:36 PM

I am looking at buying a soundbar for my living room. It's an open plan, with the back of the room open to the foyer and the right open to the kitchen (only the back and left are true walls).
Is there any real possiblity of anything approaching a surround effect with something like the Yamaha YSP-2200?
Or should I just accept that the room limits what a soundbar can do, and get a cheaper soundbar like the Panasonic SC-HTB550, which seems to have good reviews except for lack of good surround?
Any other recommendations are welcome for this type of room.

thanks in advance
post #172 of 984 Old 06-20-2012, 08:23 PM

i would go with the cinemate 1 sr

i don't know the specs or much about audio for that matter but i know what i hear and listening to this system is the best sound you are going to get from a soundbar, the yamahas don't even come close!!
post #173 of 984 Old 06-21-2012, 10:44 AM

If this is the "help me find ..." thread then I'm here asking for help. I'm looking to get a soundbar and need some advice.

First, I have a really good (Stereophille Class A) set of speakers, plus center channel plus rears, plus high end receiver sitting in the garage. I'm past having that kind of setup. I just want a soundbar and sub. I'd prefer something in the $500 range, but could go up a few hundred if there was something with dramatically improved performance. My room is probably about 20' wide and has no back wall as it opens onto the kitchen and a hallway at its rear. The qualities I want are - good, clear, crisp dialog in movies; decent sound for music (well, good sound for a sound bar); full, rich sound for movies (no tinny highs or dull but boomy base). I don't expect to get anything like real surround sound out of a single front speaker, but anything that provides even a bit of an enveloping movie experience would be useful. I don't want to hook up my receiver, so I need active speakers. Oh, and given the 20 foot width, a wide sound stage would help.

After spending a couple hours reading up some yesterday I found the Boston Acoustics TV 30, the HK SB30, and the Polk 6000 (I see they also have a 500 which is more expensive than the 6000 but I can't find any reviews of it, or even descriptions of what's different). Each seems to have something going for it. Oh, and in case there'e not much improvement for the added money, there's a Costco nearby and I can always pick up a Vizio for far less than any of these. Perhaps that's a lot of "wants" for the price. But there you have it. I've tried to provide as much info as possible so you can take my wants and my listening environment into consideration. What can you experts our there recommend for me?
post #174 of 984 Old 06-21-2012, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilock View Post

If this is the "help me find ..." thread then I'm here asking for help. I'm looking to get a soundbar and need some advice.
First, I have a really good (Stereophille Class A) set of speakers, plus center channel plus rears, plus high end receiver sitting in the garage. I'm past having that kind of setup. I just want a soundbar and sub. I'd prefer something in the $500 range, but could go up a few hundred if there was something with dramatically improved performance. My room is probably about 20' wide and has no back wall as it opens onto the kitchen and a hallway at its rear. The qualities I want are - good, clear, crisp dialog in movies; decent sound for music (well, good sound for a sound bar); full, rich sound for movies (no tinny highs or dull but boomy base). I don't expect to get anything like real surround sound out of a single front speaker, but anything that provides even a bit of an enveloping movie experience would be useful. I don't want to hook up my receiver, so I need active speakers. Oh, and given the 20 foot width, a wide sound stage would help.
After spending a couple hours reading up some yesterday I found the Boston Acoustics TV 30, the HK SB30, and the Polk 6000 (I see they also have a 500 which is more expensive than the 6000 but I can't find any reviews of it, or even descriptions of what's different). Each seems to have something going for it. Oh, and in case there'e not much improvement for the added money, there's a Costco nearby and I can always pick up a Vizio for far less than any of these. Perhaps that's a lot of "wants" for the price. But there you have it. I've tried to provide as much info as possible so you can take my wants and my listening environment into consideration. What can you experts our there recommend for me?

I can't give you a comparison, as I only have experience with my HK SB30. But what I can tell you is that it is quite good. The bass is strong and dialoque is clear. However, I do find that in most blurays I played, the music tends to stand out more than the volume of the dialogue. Like when you thought the dialogue is kind of soft but audible, once it switch to another scene with emphasized background music with no dialogue, the music feels much louder (could be the bass from the sub that I dialed up quite a bit). But it never get to any point that the music covers over dialogue that you can't hear clearly. And it also depends on which surround mode you use that affects it as well. If where you live allows you to turn up the volume quite loud, you will really enjoy this soundbar. Its surround effect excels when its loud, the louder the better. Unfortunately my wife doesn't like it too loud, so I can't really push it to its fullness all the time. It doesn't have HDMI though, so you have to rely on the optical cable for good sound input from your player. It also doesn't allow specific tuning adjusting treble. Only a dial of how much bass you want in the back of the sub. So you can say that the overall package is cool on looks, little on functions and convinience (not much adjustments nor HDMI inputs), but delivers great sound as is.

The older lower model SB16 is much more common and has a few reviews you can find, and there is a good chance some of your bigger local stores has one on the floor to demo. See if you like that one. If you do, just imagine SB30 being a bit better (the bar is longer with more drivers), can decode the DD & DTS, and has the convienence of a remote and a better surround mode.

Before I get the SB30, I was heavily considering the ZVOX 580 too. A different kind of soundbar, but with a very good history of positive reviews. From what I heard, the sound quality is a small step down from SB16, but in terms of design and function, its CNET's favorite. Its also cheaper at $499. So might worth looking into.
post #175 of 984 Old 06-21-2012, 04:58 PM

Quote:

I can't give you a comparison, as I only have experience with my HK SB30. But what I can tell you is that it is quite good. The bass is strong and dialoque is clear. However, I do find that in most blurays I played, the music tends to stand out more than the volume of the dialogue. Like when you thought the dialogue is kind of soft but audible, once it switch to another scene with emphasized background music with no dialogue, the music feels much louder (could be the bass from the sub that I dialed up quite a bit). But it never get to any point that the music covers over dialogue that you can't hear clearly. And it also depends on which surround mode you use that affects it as well. If where you live allows you to turn up the volume quite loud, you will really enjoy this soundbar. Its surround effect excels when its loud, the louder the better. Unfortunately my wife doesn't like it too loud, so I can't really push it to its fullness all the time. It doesn't have HDMI though, so you have to rely on the optical cable for good sound input from your player. It also doesn't allow specific tuning adjusting treble. Only a dial of how much bass you want in the back of the sub. So you can say that the overall package is cool on looks, little on functions and convinience (not much adjustments nor HDMI inputs), but delivers great sound as is.
The older lower model SB16 is much more common and has a few reviews you can find, and there is a good chance some of your bigger local stores has one on the floor to demo. See if you like that one. If you do, just imagine SB30 being a bit better (the bar is longer with more drivers), can decode the DD & DTS, and has the convienence of a remote and a better surround mode.
Before I get the SB30, I was heavily considering the ZVOX 580 too. A different kind of soundbar, but with a very good history of positive reviews. From what I heard, the sound quality is a small step down from SB16, but in terms of design and function, its CNET's favorite. Its also cheaper at $499. So might worth looking into.

Thanks for this. I'm OK with trading off some "features" or "functions" for better sound. I've got a Best Buy/Magnolia and Fry's nearby so I'll see if they've got one I can listen to. I looked at the ZVOX, online that is. I really don't care for the "big box" look. There's no accounting for taste, so no disrespect meant fcr those who like it. But it's the only brand that I would rule out on looks alone. I'm looking for something long and slender to mate with a 65" Panny that's being installed tomorrow.
post #176 of 984 Old 06-21-2012, 05:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwilock View Post

Thanks for this. I'm OK with trading off some "features" or "functions" for better sound. I've got a Best Buy/Magnolia and Fry's nearby so I'll see if they've got one I can listen to. I looked at the ZVOX, online that is. I really don't care for the "big box" look. There's no accounting for taste, so no disrespect meant fcr those who like it. But it's the only brand that I would rule out on looks alone. I'm looking for something long and slender to mate with a 65" Panny that's being installed tomorrow.

No problem. I like the functionality of ZVOX, but yeah, the box look is not the most attractive (which my wife ruled it out when we were choosing based on looks biggrin.gif) There should be a SB30 thread on AVS somewhere, which some folks had some comments and comparison. So you can read up those and see if they help, as well as looking up all the other mentioned models in the thread and research on them as well. From what I remember, seems like the mac daddy soundbar out there is the BOSE 1SR, but it is significantly pricier than others (you can get 2 SB30 for it), so the marginal improvement is not worth the double on price. My local Fry's carry both the BOSE 1SR & HK SB16 (thats how I demo one in person), so there is a good chance yours has it too. Good luck!
post #177 of 984 Old 06-21-2012, 09:16 PM

Quote:

No problem. I like the functionality of ZVOX, but yeah, the box look is not the most attractive (which my wife ruled it out when we were choosing based on looks biggrin.gif) There should be a SB30 thread on AVS somewhere, which some folks had some comments and comparison. So you can read up those and see if they help, as well as looking up all the other mentioned models in the thread and research on them as well. From what I remember, seems like the mac daddy soundbar out there is the BOSE 1SR, but it is significantly pricier than others (you can get 2 SB30 for it), so the marginal improvement is not worth the double on price. My local Fry's carry both the BOSE 1SR & HK SB16 (thats how I demo one in person), so there is a good chance yours has it too. Good luck!

Good tip on Fry's. They're now carrying the HK SB30. So hopefully I can give that one a listen in person.
post #178 of 984 Old 07-13-2012, 05:37 PM

I'm looking for a soundbar that has 3 inputs (optical or HDMI) for $300. Any advice?
post #179 of 984 Old 07-24-2012, 04:26 PM

20 inch Zenith (80" Sharp poster) -- If you pull the trigger on this, please post your thoughts. I'm putting the same set on a wall in mid-August (first time ever for a wall mount) and am looking for a one piece sound solution. But a screen that large, I just don't know how the sound will match up. I currently run a Yamaha YSP-4100 with a 55" LCD and that works miracles, but the YSP takes up the entire cabinet space of the stand that holds the set.
post #180 of 984 Old 07-25-2012, 05:19 PM

Need some help. My needs are a sound bar with wireless sub, good sound, under $300, HDMI/optical, and preferably airplay compatible. Airplay is not a deal breaker but it would be nice. Thanks. cool.gif
Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page