1Likes

post #181 of 938 Old 07-25-2012, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Looking for good sounding soundbar.
- Looking for good sound quality first so don't mind if it's a little pricey.
- Non powered so that I can run it with my Denon 1713.
- Prefer it have separate L/R/C inputs (xtra surround inputs ok but not needed).
- Has to be on the smaller side (approx 4" high and 3.5" deep, width unlimited).

Like the features of the Bic FH56-BAR but it is just too big (unless I ceiling mount it above the TV and angle it down).

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 938 Old 07-26-2012, 02:24 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I'm hoping to get some recommendations for a decent soundbar option. Any help would be appreciated.

TV: Samsung PN58C8000

Current Setup:

Receiver: Onkyo 704 receiver hooked up to a center + 2 JBL floor speakers
* Connected the following devices via HDMI to the receiver with a single hdmi going to the TV with ARC for cable/apps audio.
  • xbox 360
  • samsung blu ray player
  • boxee box

I live in a condo and i'm overly cautious about playing audio too loud and get anxious about disturbing my downstairs neighbors. The current setup has too much variability in the sound levels and tends to be rather boomy with the floor speakers. I also currently have to switch inputs and adjust volume each time i switch between devices. When using the xbox360 I typically put the tv into Game mode. Since all devices are routed through the receiver I'm using the same output on the TV and must enable/disable the game mode each time i switch to another device. Since i'm not utilizing the full potential of the onkyo 704 i figured it would be worthwhile to just get a moderately decent soundbar and run each of the devices to the tv and connect to the soundbar via hdmi+ARC and change inputs on the tv to access the various devices.

Is it worth moving to a soundbar to solve these annoyances? Will the soundbar produce a decent sound that doesn't produce a lot of base? I find that right now I spend a lot of time raising volume to hear dialog then lowering it for loud boomy effects.
post #183 of 938 Old 07-27-2012, 06:59 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 87
Although this is a sounbar thread, for your needs I suggest you take a look at the Cambridge Audio Minx S215 system, which is a true 5.1 system with five discrete speakers smaller than soda cans, and a subwoofer. You can get this non-powered
system for $799, that will much outperform any soundbar that you can get, and is so diminutive that you'll hardly notice that they're there.

The BMR drivers in the speakers have very wide dispersion, and are extremely clean in their sonic output.
post #184 of 938 Old 07-27-2012, 10:52 AM

Harman/Kardon SB16.
post #185 of 938 Old 07-29-2012, 10:26 PM

I was actually looking to switch to a soundbar as I thought it would better fit my needs.
post #186 of 938 Old 07-30-2012, 12:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 96
Quote:
Originally Posted by sdg4vfx View Post

Looking for good sounding soundbar.
- Looking for good sound quality first so don't mind if it's a little pricey.
- Non powered so that I can run it with my Denon 1713.
- Prefer it have separate L/R/C inputs (xtra surround inputs ok but not needed).
- Has to be on the smaller side (approx 4" high and 3.5" deep, width unlimited).
Like the features of the Bic FH56-BAR but it is just too big (unless I ceiling mount it above the TV and angle it down).

Any suggestions?
post #187 of 938 Old 07-30-2012, 04:29 PM

I would not recommend the SB16 sound bar. I purchased one on Feb 10th 2012. May 20th, all sound just stopped. Rebooted, played approximately 2 mins, then stopped. I even pulled the a/c adapter for a bit and replugged in. When I replugged in sparks flew. Called support, they were not very helpful. Fry's, where I bought it, told me to bring it to them (THANK YOU FRY"S FOR ALL YOUR HELP AND PATIENCE!!). It sparked on them and they told me the sound bar was arcing. I received permission from all sides to exchange it for another SB16.

(yes this battle with Harmon-Kardon has been going on since May 20th - they wanted me to ship entire unit to Atlanta GA on my dime after spending $600 on their product that was defective) I FINALLY got it exchanged last week. WooHoo!! I listen to mainly music instead of TV..so great!! I got my music back......for a week.....

Today, the music stopped. Just like the last sound bar. Both SB16 units doing same thing no matter what it is hooked up to. It will just fall silent while any device still plays on - all lights on system still lit up, no pops, no warning..just silent.

I really dread calling Harmon-Kardon for the up-teenth time...and no joke - was on hold and transferred..numerous times for 1hr and 19 min.

I am clueless and at wits end. So no.. I DO NOT recommend the Harmon-Kardon SB16.
post #188 of 938 Old 07-30-2012, 06:24 PM

I have a Samsung HW-C451 soundbar paired with my Samsung UN55C8000 TV.

I want a better sounding soundbar for use with gaming and just regular TV. What would you recommend?

Thanks.
post #189 of 938 Old 08-02-2012, 03:47 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Got a new TV and all my home theater equipment will now be used with that, so I am looking for a cheap way to upgrade from the stock speakers on my now secondary tv (Samsung LN46A860). Looking to spend $100 or less. After considering computer/powered speakers or building a used 2.1 system, I've decided to go with a soundbar. Will be used in a 13Xx0 room with one open side, providing sound for TV (OTA) and Netflix/MCE (Xbox)

I've narrowed it to the following:

-Vizio VSB200 ($55 Refurbed). Lots of good reviews here, but I have a few concerns. First is that the refurbs appear to have a pretty bad failure rate. Second, OTA TV is only DD and I don't think my TV will output PCM via outpical, so I'd only be able to use RCA. Third, its rather big. Also it doesn't come with a Sub, though I don't know if I need one

-Philips HSB2313A/F7 ($100 Rerfubed). Overall decent reviews, but again the refurb risk. Appears to decode DD but I'm not 100%. Has a sub.

-Philips CSS2123/F7 ($100 New). Not as good specs as above, but no refurb risk. Only decodes PCM audio via digital input like the Vizio. Has a sub.

Thoughts? Any other sound bars I should consider?
post #190 of 938 Old 08-18-2012, 10:31 AM

I currently have a full sized Pioneer receiver, Paradigm Monitor 7's, some sort of Paradigm Centre Channel, and Paradigm Titans in the back. These are all the older models of the speakers purchased about 16 years ago. Also have a PW2200 for a sub. System sounds great, but my house is 700 sq ft, and I need to downsize to save floor space.

I was thinking about getting a Millenia 20 Trio for the sound bar and in ceiling speakers for the surrounds, but would LOVE LOVE to be able to downsize EVERYTHING. If I could get a soundbar all built into one with a sub and be done with it with a sound similar to what I have, I'd be all over it - but am I dreaming? What I have now IS a bit overkill for the space I have but it does sound good.
post #191 of 938 Old 08-31-2012, 02:01 PM

I need some advise on budget Soundbar. Currently I am using a Boston Acoustics TV-25 in the bedroom . The TV is a 60 inch Panny Pro Monitor with no speakers . My wife uses it most of the time but she does not like the subwoofer and turns it off. A real waste . She is not into bass , so midrange and above is OK. So I am thinking of replacing that Soundbar with a simpler one at low cost with no subwoofer . Any suggestions ? Vizio?

I will then move the TV -25 to my main system even though I already have a full blown fairly complex 5.1 surround installed . The reason for moving the TV -25 to the main system is to improve the sound of the Panny TV's internal speakers without turning on the whole 5.1 system. The full system is used only for movies or 2 ch Audio . I watch regular TV using the Panny's internal speakers so the TV-25 will be a big improvement.

BTW the Soundbar needs to have analog inputs or coax audio fed from a DirecTV STB .

Tks
post #192 of 938 Old 09-02-2012, 11:56 AM

Hi,

Last December I purchased a sharp aquos 70" internet ready (wifi) 1080p led tv. It's in a basement room against an internal wall with limited external light exposure from 20' away and seating starting about ten or twelve feet away. Tile floor, sheet rock walls. It's fine, the dark isn't as dark as the Sony 55, but we cardboarded out a profile of the 55 bravia on the wall and then the 70 and the 70 was vastly better, no complaints.

Also wanted the bose CineMate 1 SR home theater speaker system but at $1500 at present and closer to 2,000 back then if memory serves, it was just too pricey.

So, now I have some store credits at Dell.com and I see the Sony HT-CT550W at I rather like it. My concerns are 1) how does it perform when connected to the Sharp tv? 2) are multiple remote controls required? 3) What wiring will I need (the dell package includes ARC only), and the ever famous noob question 4) ummm how do I connect this for best performance and why?

In the past I have had Sony tv's and very much prefer the brand, for value first, durability second (wife poured water down the back of one while watering a plant she had on top of it, poof when the magic smoke escaping, let it dry for amonth, turned it back on and it Worked. amazing quality product!) , and technical / engineering specs. Meaning I had confidence that I could connect anything and it would be fine, for example were this a Sony I would (perhaps mistakenly) think I would have pure pass-through sound available from the TV using the proper connection, to any external device like a stereo. And yes I still have my mcs stereo and technics turntable, and yes they were once connected to a Sony tv for very nice wired sound.

What concerns, if any, should I have pairing the sharp tv with the sony sound bar?

Thanks!

(my apologies for being such a noob - I know the bose system may be better, but it's still too pricey, oh well - I just don't want to spend 350 and then find I am missing x, y, and z...)
post #193 of 938 Old 09-02-2012, 12:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobAudioGuy View Post

So, now I have some store credits at Dell.com and I see the Sony HT-CT550W at I rather like it. My concerns are 1) how does it perform when connected to the Sharp tv? 2) are multiple remote controls required? 3) What wiring will I need (the dell package includes ARC only), and the ever famous noob question 4) ummm how do I connect this for best performance and why?

You didn't mention what source devices you are/will be using and how they are currently connected. The CT550W offers 3 HDMI inputs and an HDMI(ARC) output. To get the best audio each source device offers, it's usually best to connect the device via HDMI directly to the soundbar. Then you simply connect the ARC port to the HDMI(ARC) input on your TV. The downside to connecting that way is that you'll need to use the soundbar remote to select the input you want unless the source device has HDMI-CTL, in which case it will be automatically selected. Of course if you're already using a Harmony that issue goes away. The other downside is if you use separate video settings for your different devices. You'd lose that.

As far as performance, a soundbar should work the same no matter what brand of TV it's connected to.
post #194 of 938 Old 09-02-2012, 12:56 PM

Primary source is cox cable hdtv box, explorer 4642 hdc, secondary source is a dvd player, panasonic blu ray dvd dmp-bd75

Tv will detect hdmi connected and powered on devices

Video settings are constant, made the cable box and dvd use tweaked tv settings

Thanks
post #195 of 938 Old 09-02-2012, 08:32 PM

Ok so the only 2 soundbars i can get locally (i live in costa rica) are the polk 3000 iht and the haier sbeV40. Now my sony lcd optical output is PCM only so that's not an issue, and I'll be using it as a switch for my blu ray , dish and apple tv.
The polk is almost $220 dollars more here so I'm wondering if it is that much better.
Any help is much appreciated.
post #196 of 938 Old 09-04-2012, 12:32 PM

I am looking for an entry level soundbar for my master bedroom. I have narrowed it down to the LG NB3520A and the Samsung HW-E450. I listened to both in store and couldn't tell much of a difference -- I am no audiophile. The LG sub perhaps sounded a bit stronger. I will be pairing this with a Samsung 55" TV and the aesthetics of the Samsung appeal more to me.

Any strong opinions either way here?

Thanks!
post #197 of 938 Old 09-05-2012, 10:52 AM

Hi, I'm new to soundbars so was looking for some advice with the following setup.

TV: Panny TC-P60ST50 (wall mounted)
Room dimensions: 15'x15' (3 walls enclosed, west wall fully open to the kitchen, TV on south wall)
Wiring: HDMI wires run from TV into the wall and down to my basement where my STB (FIOS) and PS3 sit ("eye" sits on the TV to send the remote signal downstairs)
I don't have an AVR

I'd like a soundbar that meets the following objectives:
- Sounds good, especially for vocals
- Can be mounted to the bottom of my TV and looks clean with it (TV 55" wide and 2.1" deep before wall mount depth)
- No wires visible
- Can be controlled with my STB remote
- Wireless sub?
- less than $500

What soundbar would you recommend, and what is the optimal way to have the wiring set up?

thanks!
post #198 of 938 Old 09-09-2012, 08:04 AM
Advanced Member

Got a Got a Sharp LC70LE845U and want to add some powered speakers or a soundbar. I see that the only audio out is digital optical pcm so what would you recommend in the way of powered speakers or soundbar that would accept that?
post #199 of 938 Old 09-14-2012, 03:43 PM

Please bear with me as I am just learning about soundbars having been using TV speakers for about 7 or 8 years.

Current situation/problem: When watching movies from PS3 (mostly Blu-Ray) on Samsung UN46B8000XF with just the TV speakers I have a very difficult time hearing voices/dialog. While I would like better/bigger sound than the TV speakers deliver, my primary goal is to improve hearing the voices from movies. Interestingly enough when movies only have a surround option in the audio setup I have a real hard time hearing voices, however when they do actually have a stereo option (seems rarer all the time) I am better able to hear the voices, though it isn't perfect. Also, gaining a surround feel (preferably 7.1) would be a plus, though that is in addition to primary goal of improved voices.

Setup: PS3 connected via HDMI to TV with Blu-Ray being the majority of movies I watch, though maybe 25% are DVD. Computer is connected to TV by HDMI but I rarely play from the computer to the TV. Also I have Comcast Clear QAM to TV and almost never even watch cable.

Desired price: $600 or less, but there is room for discussion.

Desired benefit: Better voices in movies (primary), bigger sound, bassier sound, better range than the TV speakers can deliver, surround feel, simpler cable management than Home Theater in a Box though I don't know a lot about this and am open to it. Though a bit hesitant to mount and such since I rent an apartment so I don't want to leave holes in the walls.

Room: First a concern, my small understanding of soundbars is they work best in a rectangle/square room with all sides closed. This is not my situation and there is no way to change it in this apartment. My TV is on a stand against the long wall that is offset from center of the back shorter wall. When facing the TV the left-side is a sliding glass door and the right side is open into the dining room and kitchen area. The floor is carpeted. I sit approximately 9 feet back from the TV but that could be adjusted one foot further back or maybe two feet closer. One other note, if you had a perpendicular line to the right edge of the TV it would come out past the sitting area into a hallway.

Any thoughts? Am I able to get a surround feeling and improved voices from a soundbar, or do I need to go with some other setup?
Code:
---------------------------
|open area
|open area
|open area  |---------------
|              hallway
T             S |----------
V             I |
|             T |  
|               |
|           desk|
|           desk|
|--glass  door--|

Thank you so much in advance for any input, suggestions, or advice!

Cheers,

Shad

post #200 of 938 Old 09-14-2012, 04:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Hello Shad, this is a good place to learn about soundbars especially if you have time to skim through some of the threads here.

Almost all of the popularly priced soundbars will improve dialog over what you get with TV speakers. Regardless of whether they are 2.1 or 3.1 bars, improving dialog is what they do best. Some are able to simulate a surround feel, but forget about 7.1; if you can get a bit of 5.1 feel at times, consider yourself lucky. smile.gif There are bars that apparently do a good job emulating surround, but they are in the $1500 and up range. You are correct that soundbars use walls to reflect sound. Looking at your diagram, maybe you can place the TV stand a couple feet closer to the sliding door and move your sitting position that way also to take advantage of the back wall. BTW, although you didn't ask, 9' back from a 46" TV is pretty far. Go closer if you can.

Since you have a Sammy TV, you may want to look at the Sammy HW-E450. There's a thread for it here and it gets pretty satisfied owner reviews on Amazon. It's a 2.1 bar with wireless sub. Another good choice might be Sony CT150. That's a 3.1 bar but the sub is wired so not as much flexibility with placement. I don't know how concerned you have to be with neighbors. Both of those are in the <$300 range.
post #201 of 938 Old 09-15-2012, 08:58 AM

Thank you Possumgirl! It sounds like I won't be able to help but get an improvement in voices and dialog. This is great news and I am excited to know that. The reason I mentioned 7.1 surround was I saw announcements of the Yamaha YAS-201 on Gizmodo which is listed as having 7.1 surround and really got me thinking about my audio experience when watching movies. However if you don't really get the feel of 7.1 or 5.1 that is fine. While I can't afford a $1500 sound bar I'm also not stuck on requiring a brand new one either. I wonder if I might be able to find last year's surround bar that emulates surround for a better deal.

Per your mention of emulating surround. Is that a different technology than reflecting sound off the walls? And would one be better where I have an open area on one side of the TV and sliding glass door on the other?

Thanks for the TIP about distance, I may be able to move the sitting area a couple feet closer.

I'm also not sure how concerned I have to be with neighbors. In the diagram above the TV sits on the shared wall with my neighbors. The sitting area (futon, which is why it is back so far) and desk are on the wall shared with my bedroom. Worse case scenario I switch the TV with the futon and desk. Then again I guess the speakers would point towards the neighbors wall at that point. Also I am on the second of three floors if that makes a difference. I'm hoping to use a wireless sub for more flexibility in placement and a better sound range though now I wonder if that will be bad for the downstairs or shared wall neighbor.

Your thoughts?

Cheers,

Shad

post #202 of 938 Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 AM
Advanced Member

I ended my search by getting an open box Sony 150 from BB. I have never had a soundbar so was not prepared for the small sound I got at first. After a couple days of playing with all the settings I found this thing to be amazing. It will really open up and produce sound that seems to extend to the sides of the room. I wanted an hdmi input and have it connected by only one hdmi cable from my ARC output on the Sharp tv.

I like it so much that I am now wanting more and the search continues with a Sony 550 in sight. Any opinions on the 550 or a better (low cost) replacement for the 150?
post #203 of 938 Old 09-16-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 39 Post(s)
Liked: 42
I have the model before it. I love it. Since you have a Sharp HDTV, you may want to look at a Sharp soundbar. They aren't easy to find in retail but they have comparable offerings to what Sony has and you will get full control over your TV and soundbar with a single remote.
post #204 of 938 Old 09-16-2012, 12:00 PM

Going to go ahead and order the Samsung HW-E450! Thanks for the tips and info. :-)

Cheers,

Shad

post #205 of 938 Old 09-20-2012, 05:43 AM

Anybody looking for a cheap Vizio VSB200, Tiger has refurbs for as cheap as I've ever seen them.

http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/searchtools/item-Details.asp?EdpNo=5279677&sku=V25-7002

Yeah, there's a rebate involved, but it's still pretty cheap even before the rebate.

Good hunting.
post #206 of 938 Old 09-22-2012, 01:00 PM

Hello everyone. Need some advice as I'm not very savvy when it comes to audio/video stuff.

I want to replace my home theater in a box 5.1 blu-ray system with something a little simpler and a lot less wires. Which is why I am thinking sound bar. The only reason I want to replace the old system is because it has apparently become defective after 3 years and will no longer accept firmware updates which prevents the playing of newer blu-rays. Any suggestions on a new blu-ray player would be great too!

Here is all the stuff the sound bar will be used with.

42in Vizio e-series tv (3 hdmi in, no hdmi out, 1 5.1 SPDIF audio out, 1 stereo out.)

Blu-ray player

Roku 2 XD

Time Warner Cable hd cable/dvr box

And maybe down the road a PS3.

I am willing to spend up to $350 but would prefer less.

Any recommendations and/or suggestions would be helpful.

Thanks!

Sorry for the quadruple post. Had to use my phone to make the post and it didn't look like it was doing anything. Sorry.
post #207 of 938 Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM

Please ignore this post
post #208 of 938 Old 09-22-2012, 01:01 PM

ignore this post.
post #209 of 938 Old 09-22-2012, 01:03 PM

ignore this post too sigh. . . . .
post #210 of 938 Old 09-22-2012, 11:05 PM

I have a Panasonic Plasma TV (46 inches, ST 30). It supports HDMI with Audio Return Channel ARC.
- I am planning to buy a Blue-Ray player as well. Also, a nintendo wii, and cable box.

This is what I want to do:
-> connect everything to my tv
-> have one remote
So, I am not sure what I need to do to accomplish this? (I am very new to all this. All my life, I have utilized built-in tv speakers only, never connected any external speakers. Even with computer, I utilize built-in laptop speakers, never connected external speakers).

Can someone recommend:
1. Soundbar under $200. I am leaning towards Sony HTCT 150 soundbar. I don't really care about full immersion or lot of bass. I am told that any soundbar will be 1000x better than TV speakers. Just get the one with HDMI ARC support to simplify all your connections.
2. how to connect it all? I am told, connect everything to your TV's HDMI or component inputs. And then use TV HDMI ARC to connect it to Soundbar. Then all sounds will automatically come from soundbar and video will come thru TV.

Also, I read that some soundbars can not decode some audio-codecs. But does it really matter? I mean, the audio is coming from TV, or BlueRay Player, or WII, or CableBox. So I imagine these devices will decode the audio signal and then send it to soundbar. Right? I mean, if my TV can decode Dolby audio, then soundbar just needs to play the audio-signal already decoded by the TV. Same with BlueRay, and Wii.

I am sure I am missing something big. Can someone please help and advise?

By the way, if my soundbar doesn't support some codec, or my TV doesnt support some codec, will it still play the audio (but in stereo mode, instead of surround mode) or will it play NO audio at all?
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page