Yamaha YAS-101 - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 119 Old 02-26-2013, 10:13 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hold the vol + and the power button. Release the power first, and then the vol +. I tried that. Is an indicator light supposed to come on?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 119 Old 02-26-2013, 06:32 PM

Hello,

I need a little help I guess. My old hdtv died so I replaced it with a bargain Emerson TV...good enough picture for now but sound is horrible. Just can't afford a nicer TV at the moment. Anyway, I've been looking into getting a soundbar and I found many solid reviews on this Yamaha YAS 101 including here. It seems to be in my price range, but here's my dilemma/question: The devices I want to use all have Optical Audio (new XBOX 360, Cable Box, and Blu Ray player), but the Emerson does not. I see this YAS 101 has 2 optical inputs and I don't mind just unplugging from one and into another from time to time, but will it work ok? Can I just run an optical cable from these devices into the YAS and it will perform ok with my TV?(all 3 will be hooked up via HDMI to the TV )
post #93 of 119 Old 02-26-2013, 09:10 PM

Liked: 16
yes,that should work.
post #94 of 119 Old 02-27-2013, 12:28 PM

Well I decided to go ahead and buy this and I must say I'm very pleased. 100x better than the TV speakers. The audio of the tv was pretty poor watching cable and movies, but when I played the XBOX 360 it was even worse. This YAS 101 is so easy to set up, great clear sound and decent bass (especially compared to the crap TV speakers. While I've never had a true home theatre system, many friends and family do and this doesn't equal the production of a quality true set up, but it serves my purpose perfectly.

Funny story - I purchased this from Best Buy today and came across yet another reason why I don't like shopping there (they were the only place in town that had this available and I always buy local if the price is within reason). I had the soundbar and the extra optical cable picked out and as I'm swiping my debit card a manager-type employee came over and told the cashier that the yamaha didn't support the optical cable I picked out. Now I had done my homework thru this site and others and I was pretty certain that it has 2 Toslink inputs, but of course I've never owned anything using optical so I doubted myself. So the cashier went and looked at the demo and said she was right, it only had analog digital or something like that. Add to that the fact that she seemed really confident and knowledgeable. So I pull out my phone and finally find a spec page on it and it does indeed have 2 Toslink type digital optical inputs. I'm not one to show up associates of stores or get all worked up over stuff like this, but what if I hadn't done my homework? They would have lost a sale for nothing. oh well...

Back on topic. Very happy with this unit. Works great with my cable box and the Xbox. Can't wait to watch an action flick on Blu Ray.
post #95 of 119 Old 02-27-2013, 03:55 PM

Liked: 16
lol,you know thats funny you mention that story.when i grabbed one for my girlfreind,i had to buy a coax digital cable,as her PANNY 42 inch lcd didnt have an optical output,only coax.so when i went to the cash,the guy says i didnt need the coax,as it was provided with the soundbar.i then told him i did as the tv didnt have an optical output.he says and i quote"all lcd's have optical outputs".ummm,nope,and i then showed him the specs on the tv,which i might add,was on display.he said"oh".glad you're enjoying the soundbar,i love mine,so does the gf.it really shines when watching blue rays,so crank it up.
post #96 of 119 Old 02-28-2013, 11:49 AM

post #97 of 119 Old 03-24-2013, 08:45 PM

Has anybody been able to program their remote to mute this sound bar? I have been able to program it for up vol, down vol on and off. Thanks
post #98 of 119 Old 03-26-2013, 02:19 PM

bump...
post #99 of 119 Old 03-28-2013, 10:55 AM

I have programed my Directv Remote to work most of the soundbars functions...... Including the mute, volume, on/off and input change (TV, DVD, STB... this is done by the # buttons on the directv remote IE: 5, 6 and 8)
Directv code # 31331

Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post

Has anybody been able to program their remote to mute this sound bar? I have been able to program it for up vol, down vol on and off. Thanks
post #100 of 119 Old 03-28-2013, 03:02 PM

169 a decent price for open box at BB?
post #101 of 119 Old 03-28-2013, 04:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by tide_high View Post

169 a decent price for open box at BB?

Sounds good to me.

We are here to help you. Please help us to help you. If you provide incomplete information, at best, we can give you an incomplete response.
post #102 of 119 Old 03-28-2013, 08:06 PM

Thanks man, got it for 160. Sounds good, but gotta figure out how to use my cable remote or get a universal
post #103 of 119 Old 03-28-2013, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skypros View Post

I have programed my Directv Remote to work most of the soundbars functions...... Including the mute, volume, on/off and input change (TV, DVD, STB... this is done by the # buttons on the directv remote IE: 5, 6 and 8)
Directv code # 31331

Hope this helps

The problem is I don't have Direct TV, but have Cox instead. I am not able to get it to learn the mute button.
post #104 of 119 Old 03-30-2013, 08:22 AM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Barney1 View Post

The problem is I don't have Direct TV, but have Cox instead. I am not able to get it to learn the mute button.

Looking at the instruction manual, I don't think mute is a function you can use your TV / Satellite / Cable remote to do.
post #105 of 119 Old 04-03-2013, 05:52 PM

I just started looking at the ATS-1010. It is $179.99 at the Louisville Costco. I have an older Infinity powered sub I could connect to this. I may give it a try and see how things go. I purchased a LG 47LM6700 a few weeks back from Costco and looking to add a sound bar. May try it with built in sub and then connected to my older Infinity.
post #106 of 119 Old 08-05-2013, 08:01 AM

Picked up one of these yesterday. I have it paired with my BIC H-100 subwoofer. Whiles its nothing compared to my Denon/NHT setup I sold off, this is a much smaller setup and still sounds pretty darn good. Much better than the TV speakers obviously.

Main issue I am having is the bar doesnt seem to play audio from my TV when connected from my TV (Panasonic ST50) to the sound bar via optical for any channels that I guess are being broadcast in Dolby Digital. Infomercial channels and such that I am guessing are being broadcast in stereo play fine, but 95% of the other channels no audio comes through.

To fix it for the time being I just ran the optical cable from my U-verse box straight to the soundbar, which gave me audio on all channels. BUT, then that is going to in turn keep me from getting audio from the smart tv streaming options for Amazon instant and such.

Are any of you having luck getting audio from all channels when running a optical cable straight from your TV to the soundbar? I would think of all things, the TV would pass down stepped stereo over optical to the soundbar from Dolby Digital sources, but instead I get nothing unless it was broadcast in stereo.
post #107 of 119 Old 09-08-2013, 04:57 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I just picked up a used one from Craigslist with no remote for $100. Remote from Yamaha was $21 shipped. So $121 all in, mint condition. I paired it with a Focal JM sub I had laying around and it sounds very good for a bedroom setup. No crazy how it sounds with music. Once I receive the remote I will see if I can tweak it a little to sound better. If I'm not happy at that point. I'll give it to my son for his room.

I'm looking into a $500 sound bar with sub out that does music better. My wife and I like to listen to music while in bed surfing the web. So music output is important to us.
post #108 of 119 Old 09-08-2013, 05:01 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
3in2out: Does your tv have an option to send audio out via the optical output? Most default to ON, but maybe yours doesn't???? My Toshiba defaults to on in my bedroom.
post #109 of 119 Old 11-05-2013, 08:56 PM

I purchased a Yamaha sound bar recently for my bedroom and it's connected to my Toshiba TV via an optical cable. While the sound is good it isn't true Dolby Digital surround sound , it's most likely only 2 channel stereo . To achieve the Dolby Digital I would have to individually connect both my blue-ray player and my Direct TV receiver audio outs to my optical in sound bar. The problem is the only out ports on both my Blu-ray player and the DirecTV receiver are digital outs, not optical outs. What I would like to know is if it would really make that much of a difference in sound quality in a sound bar to purchase digital/optical splitters and connect it those Dolby Digital surround sources? I would have to get two of them ( I cannot find any splitters with two digital ins and two optical out ports in one unit). and each splitter would need a plug in for their individual power sources. Once again, would this make that much a difference in audio quality for a sound bar?
post #110 of 119 Old 11-06-2013, 07:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moonwatcher View Post

I purchased a Yamaha sound bar recently for my bedroom and it's connected to my Toshiba TV via an optical cable. While the sound is good it isn't true Dolby Digital surround sound , it's most likely only 2 channel stereo . To achieve the Dolby Digital I would have to individually connect both my blue-ray player and my Direct TV receiver audio outs to my optical in sound bar. The problem is the only out ports on both my Blu-ray player and the DirecTV receiver are digital outs, not optical outs. What I would like to know is if it would really make that much of a difference in sound quality in a sound bar to purchase digital/optical splitters and connect it those Dolby Digital surround sources? I would have to get two of them ( I cannot find any splitters with two digital ins and two optical out ports in one unit). and each splitter would need a plug in for their individual power sources. Once again, would this make that much a difference in audio quality for a sound bar?

If it's the Yamaha 101, yes it's a huge difference connecting sources to the sound bar. It does have one coaxial in so you would need one coaxial to optical converter.
post #111 of 119 Old 11-06-2013, 12:28 PM

Interesting...on a CNET blog I got a guy's response to this same inquiry by saying he used to sell coaxial to optical splitters and said that they sucked and were not as advertised . And if you wanted "true" surround sound you need more speakers. This I know and that it will never compete with my 5.1 surround system I have in the living room. I just wanted to know if it was worth purchasing coaxial to optical splitters to get the sources connected directly to my Yamaha 101 sound bar and get the Dolby -DTS green indicator to light up. It sound pretty good now.
post #112 of 119 Old 11-06-2013, 12:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Well I'm not sure what "sucks and not as advertised " implies, I know nothing of the optical converters but I do know that connecting the sources directly to the sound bar rather than optical from the TV sounds a bunch better.
post #113 of 119 Old 11-20-2013, 08:39 PM

I can't get my Yamaha 101 to work with my tv, cable box or bluray player.  When I turn the soundbar on, all it does is flash in red on the "input" led.  Not sure what is going on here, just got it today from newegg.

post #114 of 119 Old 11-21-2013, 09:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1slowhonduh View Post

I can't get my Yamaha 101 to work with my tv, cable box or bluray player.  When I turn the soundbar on, all it does is flash in red on the "input" led.  Not sure what is going on here, just got it today from newegg.

How do you have it connected?
post #115 of 119 Old 11-21-2013, 09:21 AM

I have the optical cord plugged in the "tv" port on the soundbar and the other end is plugged in the optical slot on the cable box. I also tried to have the other end of the cord plugged in the back of the tv instead of the cable box and it does the same thing. Not sure if its defective or i just have it plugged in wrong. I plugged my old soundbar the same way and it worked so... im confused.
post #116 of 119 Old 11-21-2013, 04:47 PM

You have to select the proper input. Push the input button a few times and see if that fixes it.
post #117 of 119 Old 11-22-2013, 08:03 AM

I have done that and it still goes on standby.
post #118 of 119 Old 02-05-2014, 10:55 PM

Anybody got this hooked up to a ps3 ??
I was wondering what sound and bd video settings are best ?? Bitstream , PCM ??
Also which boxes are checked for Dolby DTS etc ??
post #119 of 119 Old 11-02-2014, 09:27 PM

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Question about using a subwoofer with this sound bar... Does it have to be paired with the external sub only once or does it need to be paired every time it's powered up?

The manual says to hold the power and volume- button to pair it, but it also says the default is the internal sub.

Can someone using this sound bar with an external sub please advice.

Thanks!

Last edited by vizbar; 11-02-2014 at 10:01 PM.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Yas 101bl Front Surround System Piano Black
Gear in this thread - 101bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page