Connection Issues - Help Appreacitated - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 10:55 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi, I recently bought a new TV (Philips 32PFL4505D/F7) and am having some trouble with it. This is the TV The sound quality on the TV is absolutely horrible, so I am thinking to get the VSB200. Right now, however, I have my blu-ray player connected to my tv directly via hdmi. My receiver doesn't support HDMI.

Part 1: Anyway, I have connected an orange coaxial digital out wire from my TV to my receiver. My 5.1 system, however, is too loud for my apartment, which is why im thinking to get a soundbar. I removed the coaxial cable from my receiver then, and tried connecting it to some PSP speakers I had sitting at home (Logitech PlayGear Amp). I used a FiiO D3, which should have converted the coaxial output into RCA. From the RCA, via auxillary wire, I connected it to the speakers. All I got was loud static noise. So then i connected an AV wire directly from my Tivo's video 1 output into these speakers via auxillary and then i got sound. Soon I will be getting directv + their box. Would I have to connect an optical out from the new box to the soundbar to get sound?

Part 2: In terms of my blu ray-player, its connected to my tv via hdmi. The coaxial out goes into the coaxial in on my receiver. However, my 5.1 sound system sounds like a fraction of what it did before. I played around with the settings on the receiver, and the only way it works is on DVD DIGITAL OPTICAL ON and SIM SURROUND. Would using an optical cable fix this, or do I have to buy a receiver with an HDMI connection to use the blu-ray player with the full 5.1 surround sound.

Part 3: I have heard the Vizio VSB200 has issues with the optical cable (cracking and popping). Has anyone else had these problems, or has Vizio fixed it. Is the Panasonic SC HTB10 better?

Thank you. Any Help would be greatly appreciated. Im really confused.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 11:15 AM

Liked: 11
1) You need to set the TV digital audio output (coaxial output in this case) to PCM.

2) Try different settings for the digital audio output on the TV. You do not need a new receiver with HDMI and you do not need to change from coax to optical. I believe the TV digital out was not set correctly.

3) I recently bought 2 Vizio VSB200's and I have no problems with their optical inputs. The Panny SC-HTB10 has HDMI (ARC) port so if your TV also has HDMI (ARC), it would work better with the TV. I preferred the VSB200 because it has a subwoofer out that I could connect a sub of my choice to it and also, it's inexpensive. I am using a Sony universal remote for the whole AV system so I could program the buttons on the Vizo remote to the Sony remote and that worked great for me.
post #3 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 11:26 AM - Thread Starter

Thank you for your help. I will try the first 2 things when i get home.

What Ill probably do is:

1. Coaxial output from TV to Soundbar (I would be using a coaxial to RCA converter, right?). Turn TV setting to PCM. I don't need to use surround sound with TV.
2. Blu Ray Optical Out to Receiver Optical In. This would allow me to use my surround system fully?
3. Thanks for the information. Since the sound is coming from the coaxial, ill go with the Vizio.

Once again, thank you very much.
post #4 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaz93 View Post

Thank you for your help. I will try the first 2 things when i get home.

What Ill probably do is:

1. Coaxial output from TV to Soundbar (I would be using a coaxial to RCA converter, right?). Turn TV setting to PCM. I don't need to use surround sound with TV.
2. Blu Ray Optical Out to Receiver Optical In. This would allow me to use my surround system fully?
3. Thanks for the information. Since the sound is coming from the coaxial, ill go with the Vizio.

Once again, thank you very much.

#2 as you said is the correct way to connect the BD player to the receiver.

Edit: If your TV has a headphone jack or the variable RCA audio Left+Right jacks, you might consider connecting the VSB200 RCA jacks to the headphone jack or the variable audio jacks. You will need a cable with a stereo 3.5mm plug on one end and L&R RCA plugs on the other end like this one for the connection via the headphone jack.
post #5 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 01:56 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King View Post

#2 as you said is the correct way to connect the BD player to the receiver.

Edit: If your TV has a headphone jack or the variable RCA audio Left+Right jacks, you might consider connecting the VSB200 RCA jacks to the headphone jack or the variable audio jacks. You will need a cable with a stereo 3.5mm plug on one end and L&R RCA plugs on the other end like for the connection via the headphone jack.

Unfortunately, I don't have a headphone jack.

Also, I haven't found a way to change the TV's output to PCM. When I went to sound my only options were: Auto Sound (Movie, Music, News), Equalizer, SRS TruSurround HD (On), Auto volume leveling (off), TV Speakers (Off), Audio Setting (Stereo/Mono/SAP)

EDIT: Dur, I figured it out. I just connected a a Red and yellow wire from my Tv Audio Out to my PSP speakers via auxillary wire.

If i connect my blu player to my receiver via optical, what would I put for the sound settings on the blu ray player. (Bitstream or PCM) BTW will i get sound if my HDMI is connected to the TV and optical is connected to the receiver.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/televis...l4505d_f7/prd/ Here are the connections I have

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.
post #6 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 02:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandaz93 View Post

Unfortunately, I don't have a headphone jack.

Also, I haven't found a way to change the TV's output to PCM. When I went to sound my only options were: Auto Sound (Movie, Music, News), Equalizer, SRS TruSurround HD (On), Auto volume leveling (off), TV Speakers (Off), Audio Setting (Stereo/Mono/SAP)

EDIT: Dur, I figured it out. I just connected a a Red and yellow wire from my Tv Audio Out to my PSP speakers via auxillary wire.

If i connect my blu player to my receiver via optical, what would I put for the sound settings on the blu ray player. (Bitstream or PCM) BTW will i get sound if my HDMI is connected to the TV and optical is connected to the receiver.

http://www.usa.philips.com/c/televis...l4505d_f7/prd/ Here are the connections I have

Thanks for the help, I really appreciate it.

Since the receiver has its own decoders, you can set the BD optical out to bitstream. The TV optical out only outputs 5.1 from TV channels and stereo 2.0 from other sources connected to it. It's better to connect the optical/coaxial out on the BD player, DVD player and such to the receiver for 5.1 audio.
post #7 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 02:36 PM

I just checked the connections of the TV on page 27 in the manual. I would like to suggest the followings:

1) Connect the BD player to the TV via HDMI for video.

2) Connect the BD player optical/coaxial out to the optical/coaxial in on the receiver for sound.

3) Connect the coaxial out on the TV to the coaxial in on the receiver for 5.1 sound when you watch TV channels.

4) Connect the L&R analog out on the TV to the L&R in on the soundbar (the RCA white and red jacks).
post #8 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 05:30 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo King View Post

I just checked the connections of the TV on page 27 in the manual. I would like to suggest the followings:

1) Connect the BD player to the TV via HDMI for video.

2) Connect the BD player optical/coaxial out to the optical/coaxial in on the receiver for sound.

3) Connect the coaxial out on the TV to the coaxial in on the receiver for 5.1 sound when you watch TV channels.

4) Connect the L&R analog out on the TV to the L&R in on the soundbar (the RCA white and red jacks).

Thank you so much. I really appreciate it.
post #9 of 9 Old 10-03-2011, 06:32 PM

I hope eveything will work smoothly for you.
Reply Soundbars