Anyone Used 'Bose Link' Sockets For Stereo Audio In/Out using non-Bose equipment? - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 03:24 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm taking delivery today of my new Bose Lifestyle 135 Soundbar system but wont be setting it up fully for a few days as there is so much clutter to clear up from the old, almost dead set up I have.

I've been planning this carefully and have already run out of connectors. I think I have solved one problem....not enough outputs by buying part #285320-207 'Bose Link' to RCA connector so that I can run audio to my PC sound card for recording purposes. (The unit has no official audio out apart from Bose Link, or the Headphone socket).

I am wondering if another of that same adaptor cable would work with the 'Bose Link' In socket so that I have another audio input? I need just 1 more input and that's it!

I want to avoid switch boxes if possible. I realise that had I gone for a proper home theatre system I would most likely have had no problems with inputs/outputs but I'm trying to do away with cable clutter and multiple speakers as much as I can.

I'm also hoping that what the local Bose dealer told me, their HDMI is now 1.4 compliant, is true. It must be I suppose as they claim "Dolby TrueHD and uncompressed multichannel PCM" (OK - that's 1.3) and "3D compatibility is enabled with an easy-to-install software update, to ensure you see content as intended with your 3D TV and connected sources" (that appears to be 1.4 - am I right?). I don't want to have to connect my Rogers box directly to my TV rather than the unit in order to receive broadcast 3D if I can avoid it. I think that would involve me running additional audio cables from the box directly to the Bose unit to get sound. That rather would defeat part of the home theatre idea.

Peter
Toronto, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 06:20 AM

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
I can't answer your question, but I'd be interested in a review once you get it set up. Thanks!
post #3 of 4 Old 10-12-2011, 06:43 AM - Thread Starter

I certainly will try.

I just spoke to a very helpful guy at Bose Parts and Service who assured me that the above part works fine on the Bose Link out, but there is no such animal for the Bose Link in. Too bad. He suggests an A-B switcher connected to one of the inputs.

I was hoping to avoid that but I guess I can't.

I would still like to hear from anyone who has used the Bose Link sockets, on any Bose HT system, for this purpose.

Peter
Toronto, Canada

post #4 of 4 Old 10-14-2011, 05:02 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonCr View Post

I can't answer your question, but I'd be interested in a review once you get it set up. Thanks!

I'll leave the proper reviews to the professionals and I see that there are several already out there on the web.

Despite the high price for this system I am very satisfied with it - big sound in a small package, well small-ish.

Setup is easy although I was taken aback by the lack of on-screen choices of appliances listed as sources to plug into the rear 6 sets of inputs - actually 5 plus the TV Out/Audio in connection. I'm afraid old fogies like me who still have a functioning (and used) turntable (Technics SL-10) and an occasionally used tape deck (Aiwa WX-220) as well as more up-to-date stuff, will have to be satisfied with connecting it as something else and just hope you remember which one is which as there is no way of renaming a source.

On the plus side if the unit you are connecting has a remote Bose identifies the brand and model & learns its commands after just a few button pushes ("hold the other appliance's remote near the console and press...."). It takes you through the steps one by one very clearly and simply. Everything is displayed on your TV which is the first thing that is connected of course.

Their remote can be used to control anything that is connected (that uses a remote) and has a 'More' button which displays at the top of the screen a selection of buttons found on the original remote of whatever is currently playing.

On the Setup menu there are also options to teach the remote.

If you make mistakes, or change the setup, you can return to that original setup screen at any time simply by opening the front flap of the control unit and clicking 'Setup' which gives you also the Adaptiq and several other menus including a reset (to factory I assume).

The Adaptiq headphone sound customising system is another great feature where the unit auto-optimises sound for the various points in a room where people may be sitting. The headphones listen to test sounds and the unit adjusts itself automatically after asking you to position yourself at a certain point. I tried to fool it by walking around as it was testing and it suddenly stopped and a warning came up on the screen, 'Please remain still', amazing.

It comes with a Cruzer Micro USB stick which I have already used to update the software/firmware/whatever so now the unit allows me to watch Blu-Ray 3D movies flawlessly. The update even updated the remote ("place remote near the unit while update is in process"). I believe it uses RF as well as IR.

The USB slot accepts any USB flash drive of course. There is also a headphones out socket on the front as well as an HDMI and component in which makes it handy for a videocam or suchlike.

It's only been in a day and I put my back out clearing out the old barely functioning 'stereo' units, then cleaning out the equipment cabinet of 30+ years of accumulated dust.

What a difference now though...the only wires are from the control unit to the soundbar, and from the input sources to the control unit. The only other speaker is the Acoustimass module which is wireless and can sit anywhere in the room out of sight.

My only disappointment is that I also bought Bose part number 285320-207 which is supposed to be a Bose Link out to RCA connector as I was hoping to relay the audio from the unit to my PC as I often want to record stuff and it doesn't work. I am awaiting a response from Bose on that. I can't fault their support, they really are fast and on the ball.

The iPod Adapter has yet to be connected as I don't own one. I do have an iPad but have no reason to connect it at the moment.

Bose Lifestyle 135

User Manual

Setup Guide

Peter
Toronto, Canada
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Soundbars

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page