Soundbar Recommendation Please - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 10-25-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've just purchased a Sony 40 EX720 and am not thrilled with the sound. It's a bedroom set so I don't need much, but would still like something better. I know pretty much nothing about soundbars - is there such a thing as one that will power on and off with the tv and which will "automatically" default to the soundbar as soon as the tv is turned on? I do not want a separate sub woofer (again, not looking for the best sound - decent will be just fine ).

From what I see, soundbars require connections from all components to the bar. Is it not possible to have the audio passed from the tv to the soundbar? As you can see, I'm looking for the simplest, least expensive solution that will provide something better than the tv speakers.

As always, thanks very much in advance.

Allan
Forum Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 10-25-2011, 10:52 AM

An optical cable from the TV to the soundbar is all you need. Components can be run directly to the TV. Might try a Vizio or Polk depending upon your price range.
post #3 of 8 Old 10-26-2011, 06:20 PM

Look into a soundbar that supports ARC. This will allow you to only run a single hdmi cable to the soundbar and it will power on and off with the tv.
post #4 of 8 Old 10-27-2011, 04:27 AM - Thread Starter

I'm not sure if my TV supports ARC. I'd never heard about it and just read up on the Panasonic HTB10 soundbar. The tv is a Sony 40EX720 - and I'm not really sure how the HDMI connections work with ARC. Some other models I've seen allow a connection from the TV's headphone jack to RCA inputs on the soundbar and then full control from the tv remote.

I'd really like a soundbar that provides decent sound, full control from the tv (including power on and off) and I do not need a subwoofer (since it's a tv in the bedroom, perfect sound reproduction is my goal, just "good" sound).

Thanks again for your input so far.

Allan
Forum Admin

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 8 Old 10-27-2011, 06:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

I'm not sure if my TV supports ARC. I'd never heard about it and just read up on the Panasonic HTB10 soundbar. The tv is a Sony 40EX720 - and I'm not really sure how the HDMI connections work with ARC. Some other models I've seen allow a connection from the TV's headphone jack to RCA inputs on the soundbar and then full control from the tv remote.

I'd really like a soundbar that provides decent sound, full control from the tv (including power on and off) and I do not need a subwoofer (since it's a tv in the bedroom, perfect sound reproduction is my goal, just "good" sound).

Thanks again for your input so far.

Your tv supports ARC, I would highly suggest a soundbar that supports it for your application.
post #6 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 05:21 AM - Thread Starter

I'm still a bit confused about ARC. I have three hdmi cables going TO my tv (one each from two different tivo's and one from a blu ray player). Would the soundbar work with all 3 devices with ARC? If so, is this how it works?:

Tivo 1 to HDMI input 2 on tv
Tivo 2 to HDMI input 3 on tv
Blu Ray to HDMI input 4 on tv

Soundbar to HDMI input 1 (ARC) on TV and all of the other 3 inputs will go through this automatically.

Is that right? And if so, can you recommend a decent, INEXPENSIVE soundbar with ARC that I'd want to look at? And will all brands power on and off with the tv or only certain brands? Thanks again.

Allan
Forum Admin

post #7 of 8 Old 10-28-2011, 09:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Allan2 View Post

I'm still a bit confused about ARC. I have three hdmi cables going TO my tv (one each from two different tivo's and one from a blu ray player). Would the soundbar work with all 3 devices with ARC? If so, is this how it works?:

Tivo 1 to HDMI input 2 on tv
Tivo 2 to HDMI input 3 on tv
Blu Ray to HDMI input 4 on tv

Soundbar to HDMI input 1 (ARC) on TV and all of the other 3 inputs will go through this automatically.

Is that right? And if so, can you recommend a decent, INEXPENSIVE soundbar with ARC that I'd want to look at? And will all brands power on and off with the tv or only certain brands? Thanks again.

ARC simply eliminates the need to use an optical cable to send audio from the TV to an external AVR/soundbar. An external AVR with ARC will have one or more HDMI inputs. The same HDMI cable that sends video TO the TV will also send audio FROM the TV. The real advantage of connecting components directly to an external system is that you get 5.1 audio, whereas when your components are connected to the TV only 2.0 audio is sent out, regardless whether you're using ARC or optical.

Since you mainly want an inexpensive solution for a bedroom TV, I don't think you need to get too hung up on whether the soundbar has ARC. In fact you might want to take a look at the Vizio VSB200. A lot of people are very impressed with what it can do and it's under $100.

Edit: I just noticed you've already found your way to the VSB200 thread. Guess my advice was redundant.
post #8 of 8 Old 10-29-2011, 12:13 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

ARC simply eliminates the need to use an optical cable to send audio from the TV to an external AVR/soundbar. An external AVR with ARC will have one or more HDMI inputs. The same HDMI cable that sends video TO the TV will also send audio FROM the TV. The real advantage of connecting components directly to an external system is that you get 5.1 audio, whereas when your components are connected to the TV only 2.0 audio is sent out, regardless whether you're using ARC or optical.

Since you mainly want an inexpensive solution for a bedroom TV, I don't think you need to get too hung up on whether the soundbar has ARC. In fact you might want to take a look at the Vizio VSB200. A lot of people are very impressed with what it can do and it's under $100.

Edit: I just noticed you've already found your way to the VSB200 thread. Guess my advice was redundant.

Appreciate your reply and thanks for confirming my thought that ARC would be nice, but not required for my purposes.

Yes, thought about the Vizio but the fact that it will not power on and off with the tv is a deal breaker. I've been reading about the Boston Acoustics Tevee 20B and that looks interesting. Any thoughts or other options? Thanks again.

Allan
Forum Admin

Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page