One Optical Connection? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-05-2011, 11:08 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I'm new to audio/home theater systems.

If I were to purchase a soundbar (was considering the LG LSB316), would I be able to connect it directly to my TV w/ ONE optical cable and hear the audio for my TV/Cable (HDMI), bu-ray player (HDMI), WD TV (HDMI), and Wii (Component).

Is it this simple, or am I missing something?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 12-05-2011, 11:22 AM

I also have the same/similar question. If I run my HD cable box, ps3 and xbox 360 to my tv with HDMI can I simply run optical audio out from my tv to my Sony CT150 and get "surround sound" or will I only be getting stereo from the soundbar?
post #3 of 10 Old 12-05-2011, 11:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyStupid View Post

Sorry, I'm new to audio/home theater systems.

If I were to purchase a soundbar (was considering the LG LSB316), would I be able to connect it directly to my TV w/ ONE optical cable and hear the audio for my TV/Cable (HDMI), bu-ray player (HDMI), WD TV (HDMI), and Wii (Component).

Is it this simple, or am I missing something?

Well it CAN be that simple as long as you understand that HDTVs will only output 2.0 stereo from connected devices. Some soundbars will sound pretty good with that input. However, many soundbars have DD5.1 and DTS decoders, so if they get a 5.1 signal coming in they have more to work with and will probably be able to produce more immersive sounds.

Using the LG bar as an example, it has two optical inputs which would allow you to connect your BD player directly to it via optical (in addition to HDMI to TV for video). You'd have 5.1 audio for your movies that way.
post #4 of 10 Old 12-05-2011, 01:17 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Well it CAN be that simple as long as you understand that HDTVs will only output 2.0 stereo from connected devices. Some soundbars will sound pretty good with that input. However, many soundbars have DD5.1 and DTS decoders, so if they get a 5.1 signal coming in they have more to work with and will probably be able to produce more immersive sounds.

Using the LG bar as an example, it has two optical inputs which would allow you to connect your BD player directly to it via optical (in addition to HDMI to TV for video). You'd have 5.1 audio for your movies that way.

Alright, that makes sense to me. Thanks for breaking it down for me.

Just one more question... I don't think my BD player (LG BD630) has an optical output. What would I need to connect it to the soundbar optical input?
post #5 of 10 Old 12-05-2011, 01:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by SlightlyStupid View Post

Just one more question... I don't think my BD player (LG BD630) has an optical output. What would I need to connect it to the soundbar optical input?

If there is no optical, then there should be a RCA digital connection. If the soundbar has that, yr set, if it doesn't then u need to buy an RCA to Optical adapter, $15 and up depending how picky u are.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #6 of 10 Old 12-05-2011, 01:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrBobb View Post

If there is no optical, then there should be a RCA digital connection. If the soundbar has that, yr set, if it doesn't then u need to buy an RCA to Optical adapter, $15 and up depending how picky u are.

Will the RCA to Optical adapter affect the quality at all? Can you recommend one? Not picky, just need something that would do the job.
post #7 of 10 Old 12-05-2011, 01:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
^^^ The LG soundbar has digital coax out so you'd need a converter like this one. Shouldn't affect audio quality at all.
post #8 of 10 Old 12-05-2011, 04:19 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

^^^ The LG soundbar has digital coax out so you'd need a converter like this one. Shouldn't affect audio quality at all.

Thanks!
post #9 of 10 Old 12-30-2011, 12:39 PM

if your blu ray player has analog RCA jacks then you can get a 3.5mm stereo adapter and plug it in that way (I have that exact soundbar)
post #10 of 10 Old 12-31-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:

My Vizio TV will send out audio in DD through the optical out if it receives it from the connected devices.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Lg Lsb316 280w Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer And Bluetooth , Lg Bd630 Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd630 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page