Soundbar Info for LG TV NEEDED - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 10:40 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was wondering if I could get some input on what particular soundbar would be a best match for my LG 55" LV4400 TV? I am not looking to spend a fortune, but I do understand that quality does not come cheap. Anything that anyone could recommend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

beagle
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle40 View Post

I was wondering if I could get some input on what particular soundbar would be a best match for my LG 55" LV4400 TV? I am not looking to spend a fortune, but I do understand that quality does not come cheap. Anything that anyone could recommend would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

beagle

In order for anyone to provide any meaningful advice, you need to provide information. What components will you be connecting? Cable/sat? BD/DVD player? Game system? iPod? etc. How big is the room? Is it open space or do you have walls that sound can bounce from? What are your primary viewing needs? TV? Movies? Music?
post #3 of 9 Old 12-06-2011, 12:06 PM - Thread Starter

I simply want a soundbar to replace my factory TV speakers. I already have a home theater system for watching movies, so I just want one for when we are simply watching TV. Currently the TV speakers are very weak. The room is our main living room, approximately 22' x 15'.

JD
post #4 of 9 Old 12-07-2011, 12:25 PM - Thread Starter

So, anyone have any ideas? I just want a simple soundbar to enhance or even replace the TV's factory speakers. Do they just plug into an audio out port on the back of your TV? I don't need a home theater system, just a basic soundbar. Anyone? Anything? Suggestions/Ideas are all greatly welcome. Thanks.

JD
post #5 of 9 Old 12-07-2011, 05:03 PM

Here is a "no cost" idea:
Set your HT for stereo or some phantom center mode for everyday tv viewing. It might sound better than a soundbar.
Vizio VSB200 at $98 is a great budget soundbar and the prices go up from there.
Most passive soundbars have an optical input so if your tv has this outout vacant then you shouldn't have connection issues.
Hope that helps.
post #6 of 9 Old 12-08-2011, 06:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by beagle40 View Post

So, anyone have any ideas? I just want a simple soundbar to enhance or even replace the TV's factory speakers. Do they just plug into an audio out port on the back of your TV? I don't need a home theater system, just a basic soundbar. Anyone? Anything? Suggestions/Ideas are all greatly welcome. Thanks.

JD

If you already have a ht system do you have it connected properly? If so why wouldn't you just use that for tv viewing? I never understood why ppl only use an ht system for movies. I never ever use my tv or anything without the surround sound on. What kind of system do you have?

Shawn
post #7 of 9 Old 12-08-2011, 08:08 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 18
I'm guessing that the HT is in another area of the house and the TV he's talking about is in a family room. In answer to some of the questions:

First, there are two types of soundbar - powered and unpowered (e.g. LCR soundbar). I believe what you are looking for is a powered one (doesn't require separate amp/receiver). These can connect to your setup in several ways depending on the model but the easiest is probably to use the optical audio out from the TV to the SB. I could give more specific advice if you listed the components that you will be connecting.

There is a wide range of models available starting with a simple 2 channel stereo model like the VSB200. Don't be fooled by the $89 pricetag - this unit is a huge step up from TV speakers. You can also add a separate powered sub for 2.1.

You could also get a 2.1 or 5.1 setup that uses a wireless sub. Again Vizio has a few good options that are excellent value for money. Some of the 5.1 setups have the capability to connect the rear speakers to the wireless sub so there are no wires running across the room. This can be a good option too.

For just an intro setup depending on the room, I would go with the VSB200 then add a separate wired, powered sub of your choice or get the VHT215 that has a wireless sub for $250.
post #8 of 9 Old 12-10-2011, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 104 Post(s)
Liked: 49

Incredibly great sound here.
LL
post #9 of 9 Old 12-12-2011, 09:41 AM

(www)avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1355993
Vizio's VHT215 is really nice. That is what i did.
under $200...
Connect it to your LG using an Optical (TOSlink) cable. Everything going into your TV will come out to the soundbar.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page