We need a soundbar! Advice Needed Quick please. - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We need a soundbar! We just got a new Panasonic Plasma 65" VT30 for the theater room and can move the old Samsung 55" UN55B7000 into the game room. We have had old Bose cube speakers in the game rom with wires running everywhere, and have an older Yamaha receiver it there. It is completely possible to run speakers, hang the tv, etc in there. However, in the interest of money and time, I'd rather get a soundbar. The room is completely disassembled a few days before Christmas and I need to get it together!

Here's the other info:
In addition to that tv, I can use a Denon AVR 2310CI receiver that came out of the theater room.
I have a HR-22 DirectTV receiver/dvr.
I have a LG BD590 blu ray player.
A Wii.
None of this is 3D.

I’m confused as to when I would need a soundbar with HDMI or not. Can you guys help with what I should be looking at? Do I not use the receiver I have?

The main goals are to reduce the wires, avoid mounting the tv and running electrical in the wall, mounting speakers. I have a large cabinet that is more of a buffet height table that the Samsung will sit on there, so the TV is higher than your average tv stand. The room is large, but with issues. It is 13” back to the sofa wall, has a wall of windows on the left / outer wall, and then has a complete open banister area that opens out over the rest of the house, staircase, downstairs, etc. So, there will be no bouncing of sound off of the right wall because there isn’t one. I see this as my biggest issue I guess, trying to make it sound good when it really isn’t a four wall room.

I know you say that you gotta try a few soundbars to hit the best one, but I’d like to shoot for the best one for my needs to start with. And, I’d like to stay under $450 so one of those kick butt Yamahas are out.

I like the ZVOX concept, but the hubby thought the box looked silly. And I notice there is a bit of mixed reviews on here about it. And I guess my receiver wouldn’t be used in this scenario?

In practice, this is where my daughter watches tv with her friends, mostly tv or movies. Sometimes she plays Wii, but not often. I don’t need it to blast the room, I just need it to sound great for the vocal sounds in programs, have a decent center speaker as I have a bit of difficulty with tinnitus always screaming ringing in my ears and affecting my hearing. I don’t usually sit in this room though. However, when people come over, I don’t want it to sound rinky dink there. I guess I could just push them on to the theater room though…

Help! I need a soundbar and pronto. Any input to help me decide quick? Any input is welcome.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 11:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 18
This one would utilize your receiver but it's pretty big.

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1355998
post #3 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 11:28 AM - Thread Starter

If I set the tv on top of the table, it is only 5 1/2 inches from the base of the table to the bottom edge of the screen. So that's a cool speaker, but I think the 8" height is too much
post #4 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 12:17 PM - Thread Starter

Ok, I've figured out the passive vs active soundbar. If I want to keep my receiver in the mix, I need a passive soundbar and possibly a subwoofer. Help! The prices on all the recommended passive soundbars are pretty steep. I have Def Techs in my theater room and love those, but oh, the price of the soundbars is so much more than I want to go. Any ideas, recommendations? Thanks!
post #5 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 12:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattyb013 View Post

We need a soundbar! We just got a new Panasonic Plasma 65" VT30 for the theater room and can move the old Samsung 55" UN55B7000 into the game room. We have had old Bose cube speakers in the game rom with wires running everywhere, and have an older Yamaha receiver it there. It is completely possible to run speakers, hang the tv, etc in there. However, in the interest of money and time, I'd rather get a soundbar. The room is completely disassembled a few days before Christmas and I need to get it together!

Here's the other info:
In addition to that tv, I can use a Denon AVR 2310CI receiver that came out of the theater room.
I have a HR-22 DirectTV receiver/dvr.
I have a LG BD590 blu ray player.
A Wii.
None of this is 3D.

I'm confused as to when I would need a soundbar with HDMI or not. Can you guys help with what I should be looking at? Do I not use the receiver I have?

The main goals are to reduce the wires, avoid mounting the tv and running electrical in the wall, mounting speakers. I have a large cabinet that is more of a buffet height table that the Samsung will sit on there, so the TV is higher than your average tv stand. The room is large, but with issues. It is 13 back to the sofa wall, has a wall of windows on the left / outer wall, and then has a complete open banister area that opens out over the rest of the house, staircase, downstairs, etc. So, there will be no bouncing of sound off of the right wall because there isn't one. I see this as my biggest issue I guess, trying to make it sound good when it really isn't a four wall room.

I know you say that you gotta try a few soundbars to hit the best one, but I'd like to shoot for the best one for my needs to start with. And, I'd like to stay under $450 so one of those kick butt Yamahas are out.

I like the ZVOX concept, but the hubby thought the box looked silly. And I notice there is a bit of mixed reviews on here about it. And I guess my receiver wouldn't be used in this scenario?

In practice, this is where my daughter watches tv with her friends, mostly tv or movies. Sometimes she plays Wii, but not often. I don't need it to blast the room, I just need it to sound great for the vocal sounds in programs, have a decent center speaker as I have a bit of difficulty with tinnitus always screaming ringing in my ears and affecting my hearing. I don't usually sit in this room though. However, when people come over, I don't want it to sound rinky dink there. I guess I could just push them on to the theater room though

Help! I need a soundbar and pronto. Any input to help me decide quick? Any input is welcome.

Needing HDMI on a soundbar is up to you, it depends on how you want to hook everything up,, if you go with a bar that has HDMI just make sure the HDMI's are 3D friendly.

Being in a rush to buy a soundbar is not the best idea since your not that familar with soundbars,, but here is a few bars that I would suggest that you really cant go wrong with.

Sony CT-150 (3 HDMI inputs, 3D friendly and does a good job at a room filling surround effect)

Vizio VHT215 (2 HDMI inputs, 3D friendly, does a very good job at a room filling surround effect, wireless sub)

Panasonic bar (the new one, I forgot the model number, it will mate up with your new Panasonic plasma very nicely, the Panasonic bar puts out a very good sound but doesnt really do much in the way of a room filling surround effect)

Hope that helps a bit.

Cheers
Davyo
post #6 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 12:33 PM - Thread Starter

Davyo I was hoping you would chime in. This soundbar is not for the theater room where the new Panasonic is. I have a Denon 2112ci and some Def Tech Pro Cinema 800's mounted in there. That room is done.

The soundbar I'm looking for would go into the game room where I will have the old 55" Samsung, and where I could use the old Denon 2310ci receiver. It does not need to be 3d in the game room because the Samsung does not support 3d. It's the room that has an open wall and some old Bose cubes I really want to ditch.

Does this change any of your recommendations?
post #7 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 12:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Davyo I was hoping you would chime in. This soundbar is not for the theater room where the new Panasonic is. I have a Denon 2112ci and some Def Tech Pro Cinema 800's mounted in there. That room is done.

The soundbar I'm looking for would go into the game room where I will have the old 55" Samsung, and where I could use the old Denon 2310ci receiver. It does not need to be 3d in the game room because the Samsung does not support 3d. It's the room that has an open wall and some old Bose cubes I really want to ditch.

Does this change any of your recommendations?

Opps, sorry, my bad,, I guess I need to pay a bit more attention to postings Im reading

A soundbar for the Samsung 55 incher for the kids and their friends,,, to keep it simple and cheap and sounding good I would say either the Vizio VHT210 or the Vizio VSB210WS soundbars would be my picks,,,, very little wiring to deal with, they both have wirelss subs, and they both sound great for movies and gaming,,,,,, dont know how old your kids are but the remotes for both the Vizio bars are also very simple.

Hope that was better advice

Cheers
Davyo
post #8 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 12:51 PM - Thread Starter

So with those Vizio bars, I wouldn't use my receiver or would I?

The kids are mostly gone, being that two are in college and 21 and 19 and aren't home too much. But there is a little pumpkin left at home that is 13. She can figure out the remotes but simpler is always better for the remotes because then my mom can use it when she comes.

Both of those Vizios seem to get so-so reviews and I could spend a bit more.
post #9 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 02:06 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So with those Vizio bars, I wouldn't use my receiver or would I?

The kids are mostly gone, being that two are in college and 21 and 19 and aren't home too much. But there is a little pumpkin left at home that is 13. She can figure out the remotes but simpler is always better for the remotes because then my mom can use it when she comes.

Both of those Vizios seem to get so-so reviews and I could spend a bit more.

No, the Vizio's do not require a receiver, they are built in.

As far as bad Vizio reviews, the older Vizio's got some bad reviews because of the big failure rate of the LED lights,,,, the newest Vizio VHT215 does not have those problems,,,, I auditioned the Vizio VHT215 at home and was quite impressed with it,,, in my opinion its one of the best soundbars out there right now with the best features at a great price.

If your looking for the best sound from a bar then my pick would be the Polk 6000 (I also demoed the 6000 at home) a great soundbar but its short on features and connection options.

If money is no object,, then dare I say the new Bose SR1 that I demoed in-store yesterday franky blew me away,,,,, I know everyone here HATES Bose but I gota say that Bose SR1 sounded AMAZING,,,, but its $1500.00.

Hope that helped a bit more.

Cheers
Davyo
post #10 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 02:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Also,, keep in mind,, a soundbar is going to be very dependant on walls to reflect the sound off of,,,,, any bar anyone recomends might or might not work well for you depending on your floorplan and layout of your room.

Buying a soundbar for "your" room is really a trial and error process,, buying and retruning a few soundbars is the best way to settle on which bar you are going to end up keeping.

Cheers
Davyo
post #11 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 02:17 PM

Liked: 11
Refurb Def Tech Mythos ssa-42 for $475 off ebay is an option. If you feel you need a sub you can always add one in the future.
post #12 of 13 Old 12-18-2011, 02:51 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by l3ftonm3 View Post

Refurb Def Tech Mythos ssa-42 for $475 off ebay is an option. If you feel you need a sub you can always add one in the future.

Yes that would be a sweet choice.
post #13 of 13 Old 12-26-2011, 04:47 PM - Thread Starter

Oh I just couldn't like any of the soundbars in the store. So I hooked the hold Denon receiver up to the Bose cubes. Finally used banana clips on the ends of the wires. Sounds terrific. Took the stand off the center and set the cubes in front of the television. Then, bought a Sonos connect 90 and now I not only have great sound for the tv, the Sonos is awesome. Didn't solve my wire issue but it can only be seen in one location, so I'll figure out how to hide that soon.

Off topic, but if you are considering Sonos for music, do it!
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Lg Bd590 250gb Hd Network Blu Ray Disc Player
Gear in this thread - Bd590 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page