Any Mythos XTR-SSA5 Reviews? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 12-22-2011, 07:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
I've scoured the internet and these forums looking for any reviews of the XTR-SSA5 without any luck.

Anyone have any experience with this soundbar?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 12-23-2011, 02:22 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I'm in the same position. The 50 is great, but if I can go smaller with the 5 it would be my preference.

I'm starting to think DefTech hasn't sold one yet based on how quiet it is out there...
post #3 of 7 Old 12-23-2011, 04:14 PM - Thread Starter

Well if nothing else, I'm sure I'll be able to check it out at their booth at CES. Would be great to hear from anyone who has auditioned them in a home or dedicated room instead of a huge (NOISY) convention hall though.
post #4 of 7 Old 12-27-2011, 03:21 PM - Thread Starter

Well I found a local shop that had a XTR-SSA5 setup and watched a Spiderman blu-ray for a few minutes. Although I had the cash in my pocket and was expecting to leave there with the speaker, I was honestly surprised by how lackluster it sounded. Granted, it was in a large open shop and I'm sure it wasn't properly adjusted to be 110%. However, it just failed to impress me in any respect.

I guess I'll look at the Klipsch G-42 next...

I'd buy the B&W Panorama in a second if I could find it cheaper than the craziness I've seen so far.
post #5 of 7 Old 01-06-2012, 01:23 PM

(Since the original post, there's now a (mildly negative) consumer review of the SSA5 on the Crutchfield website, and a (surprisingly positive, versus 3x XTR-50) journalist review of the related SSA3 sibling on the Sound&Vision website.)
post #6 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 12:19 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by trackavsforum View Post

(Since the original post, there's now a (mildly negative) consumer review of the SSA5 on the Crutchfield website, and a (surprisingly positive, versus 3x XTR-50) journalist review of the related SSA3 sibling on the Sound&Vision website.)

That crutchfield user reviews sounds like he ran it without an accompanying sub. A big no-no with skinny bars/speakers
post #7 of 7 Old 01-08-2012, 01:18 PM

Disclaimer: I really wanted the XTR-SSA5 - aesthetically it is perfect for my application. The 50 is definitely deeper, and it also weighs a lot more (it feels like so much more than 31 pounds) and presents challenges for mounting on the same bracket with the TV. I already have a dedicated theater and this was going to go in a new Family Room with a Sharp 80.

I read the Sound&Vision article and was really annoyed. To say "Yes, the XTR-SSA3 has its limits, and you will probably find them in time" without going into further detail is a complete farce. I have never seen such a useless review. With all the soundbars on the market I expected to hear how this one stacked up. Given this review seemed to happen in a bubble with no recognition there is an entire market of competing products out there, all I learned was the 3 has problems (don't know what they are though), it has many of the same parts as the XTR-50, and it sounds OK.

I finally bought an SSA-50 and took it to a local shop that had an XTR-SSA5. We set them up just like DefTech tells you to (no auto-magic EQ and balanced the outputs as recommended), and let them rip with and without a SuperCube Reference to help out.

There was absolutely no comparison between them. The 50 was full and rich, while the 5 was thin and compressed. Sure they could both play loud, but the 5 didn't hold up at max volume where is got a little shrill/bright and everything started to compress. With the 5 I was most impressed with the size, and found myself trying to justify going with the 5 just based on its looks.

I have to agree with the S&V reviewer on one point - the blend with the sub is weak with the 5. There is definitely a hole there that the 50 does not have. The 50 can easily stand alone, and only needs the sub for impact. Music and movies gave the same impression. From a sonic perspective I would never choose the 5 over the 50. Not even close.

Just my 2 cents.
brian1020 likes this.
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page