Definitive XTR-SSA5 or Bose CineMate 1 SR? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 04:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi,

I'm looking for a surround bar that will trick me sometimes into thinking that I have more speakers around.

It's going in my living room, and the room is about 11.25' x 16'. The TV is on the 11.25' wall.

Which setup is better for HT:

Bose CineMate 1 SR

or

Definitive XTR-SSA5 with a budget subwoofer (Polk PSW505B)

Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 07:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dza View Post

Hi,

I'm looking for a surround bar that will trick me sometimes into thinking that I have more speakers around.

It's going in my living room, and the room is about 11.25' x 16'. The TV is on the 11.25' wall.

Which setup is better for HT:

Bose CineMate 1 SR

or

Definitive XTR-SSA5 with a budget subwoofer (Polk PSW505B)

Thanks in advance!

Have not heard the Definitive/Polk combo but I have checked out the 1SR,,, if you have walls to the sides of you to reflect sound off of,, the 1SR sounds amazing,,, Im a soundbar junkie (tried them all) and the Bose is off the hook,,, very expensive and not many features or connections,, but it sounds killer !!!!

At a demo I did at my local Frys I thought speakers were on all over the room,, it was quite shocking !!!!!

At the Bose store the demo sucked, if I would have only heard it at the Bose store I would not have been impressed at all.

Cheers
Davyo
post #3 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 07:44 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Have not heard the Definitive/Polk combo but I have checked out the 1SR,,, if you have walls to the sides of you to reflect sound off of,, the 1SR sounds amazing,,, Im a soundbar junkie (tried them all) and the Bose is off the hook,,, very expensive and not many features or connections,, but it sounds killer !!!!

At a demo I did at my local Frys I thought speakers were on all over the room,, it was quite shocking !!!!!

At the Bose store the demo sucked, if I would have only heard it at the Bose store I would not have been impressed at all.

Cheers
Davyo

Despite Bose's negative rep, I tried the cinemate. It was awesome. I also heard the demo at frys. My set up is actually similar to where frys placed their cinemate. It was to the right wall.

With my set up, I don't have a "right wall" relative to facing the tv. But I thought the adaptiq feature would make that issue irrelevant.

I am concerned somewhat that the cinemate actually sounded bad on a different setting. I'm leaning toward the Bose, but I'm wanting to see more definitive xtr-ssa5 reviews before pulling the trigger.
post #4 of 5 Old 12-27-2011, 09:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the dza View Post

Despite Bose's negative rep, I tried the cinemate. It was awesome. I also heard the demo at frys. My set up is actually similar to where frys placed their cinemate. It was to the right wall.

With my set up, I don't have a "right wall" relative to facing the tv. But I thought the adaptiq feature would make that issue irrelevant.

I am concerned somewhat that the cinemate actually sounded bad on a different setting. I'm leaning toward the Bose, but I'm wanting to see more definitive xtr-ssa5 reviews before pulling the trigger.

I'm doing a trial run of the Bose 1-SR Cinemate versus the Yamaha YSP-4100 at home right now. I'll post a review later, but can tell you that even though the YSP offers greater features and control, matching it with a subwoofer and adjusting its settings is a pain. You absolutely need a separate subwoofer on the YSP. The one thing Bose does well is simplicity -- and the 5 channnel soundbar and sub work well together. Creating that same feeling in a separate subwoofer and soundbar combo yourself can be tricky and too time-consuming for an amatuer.

In short, if you don't have the time or patience, go with the Bose and you won't go wrong.
post #5 of 5 Old 11-07-2012, 07:19 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I know this is an old thread, but I was out shopping for a new soundbar to replace my Yamaha yas-101 and I had a listen to these. WOW. This will be my next Bar. I'm gonna wait until closer to Christmas to see if they go on sale, at roughly $1600CDN that's a pretty steep price considering I was trying to stay around the 8-900 mark. lol
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page