PS3 > HDMI > TV > Optical Cable > Soundbar. Could this suffer audio loss? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 12:30 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello All,

Just out of intellectual curiosity, could you suffer audio loss in quality or loudness, if you have a setup as mentioned in the title, that is, a PS3 connected to TV through HDMI which is in turn connected to a soundbar using an audio optical cable.

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 08:35 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Most HDTVs only output 2 ch. stereo from devices connected to the TV, so yes, you lose AQ.
post #3 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 09:27 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Most HDTVs only output 2 ch. stereo from devices connected to the TV, so yes, you lose AQ.

I have a Panasonic SC-HTB10 120W 2.1-Channel Slim Sound Bar System connected to Westinghouse 42" Class LED-LCD 1080p 120Hz HDTV LD-4258 through audio optical cable.

The good thing about this setup is i have multiple free HDMI ports on TV and PC+3.5 audio cable connected to TV which makes all audio go through Soundbar which has only an in and an out HDMI port.

What are my options?

Thanks for your help.
post #4 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 10:58 AM
AVS Special Member

If I'm understanding correctly, using optical from TV to soundbar is fine because you're only inputting 2 ch. stereo from the mini PC audio jack anyway. If you want to add a PS3, connect it via HDMI to the soundbar and then use another HDMI connection from the soundbar to your TV. That way you'll have 5.1 audio available from the PS3.
post #5 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 11:17 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If I'm understanding correctly, using optical from TV to soundbar is fine because you're only inputting 2 ch. stereo from the mini PC audio jack anyway. If you want to add a PS3, connect it via HDMI to the soundbar and then use another HDMI connection from the soundbar to your TV. That way you'll have 5.1 audio available from the PS3.

You are saying that I should do two connections. One audio optical cable to get sound from PC and run separate HDMI from PS3 to Soundbar to TV for 5.1 sound from ps3.

TV is connected to Soundbar using an optical audio cable.
PS3 is connected to TV using HDMI.
Old PC has no HDMI or DVI so it is connected to TV using VGA and 3.5 mm audio cable (sound and resolution is terrible but i am working on it or may be get a newer HTPC)

If i connect PS3->->-HDMI->->-Soundbar->->-HDMI->->-TV, PCs sound wont come through soundbar and I won't be able to connect my Tablet or Phone directly to soundbar using HDMI Sound bar to play music as an external player. May be I could use HDMI switcher (no idea if they work). I might get everything to work great.

Thanks.
post #6 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 11:31 AM - Thread Starter

This is my future setup.

PC, PS3, Cable box and Tablet/Phone all to screen to TV and audio from soundbar.

There are two HDMI ports in TV and one optical port in TV.
There are one HDMI in, one HDMI out and an optical port in soundbar.

In order to get all to output at 5.1, you suggest, I connect first to soundbar which I connect to TV. I think this will only work if i have something like a 5 to 1 hdmi switcher.

http://www.amazon.com/Kinivo-501BN-P...5099401&sr=1-2
post #7 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 12:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by donniezazen View Post

If i connect PS3->->-HDMI->->-Soundbar->->-HDMI->->-TV, PCs sound wont come through soundbar

It wouldn't change the way you have your PC setup as far as I can see, HOWEVER
Quote:

and I won't be able to connect my Tablet or Phone directly to soundbar using HDMI Sound bar to play music as an external player.

You didn't mention that you already use the HDMI in on the soundbar for another purpose!
Quote:

May be I could use HDMI switcher (no idea if they work). I might get everything to work great.

Thanks.

For your future plans that HDMI switcher looks like it should do the job for you.
post #8 of 8 Old 12-28-2011, 11:02 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

It wouldn't change the way you have your PC setup as far as I can see, HOWEVER You didn't mention that you already use the HDMI in on the soundbar for another purpose!

For your future plans that HDMI switcher looks like it should do the job for you.

Thank you. Appreciate it. Right now, i have PC and PS3 connected to TV and don't have adapter for HTC EVO 3D and Tablet. I had both HDMI ports open on soundbar, so, I didn't mention it.

But i can see huge improvements in audio Quality when i use HDMI directly to soundbar then to TV. Thanks.

HDMI switcher cause no loss of any audio or video signal. Do they?
Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page