My Bose 1SR vs Sony CT-350 at home shoot-out,,,,,and the winner is !!!!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 60 Old 01-03-2012, 08:15 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

davyo...since Bose won't tell me anywhere that I can find...how many drivers does the soundbar have and of what size? In you opinion, what is the trick Bose uses to get decent surround sound (angled drivers, etc)?

As I recall reading there are 5 drivers in the bar itself,,,, I would get a flashlight and look at my bar's inards to verify that but its kind of a pain as I have it flat mounted above my Sharp panel.

As far as how the Bose puts out the very convincing surround effect Im not sure,,, but I will say when I run the room calibration on the Bose you can clearly hear the soundbeams bouncing around the room,,, the rear surrounds, the left and right and center channels are all there.

The room calibration works exactly like the Yamaha YSP's I have owned.

Cheers
Davyo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 60 Old 01-25-2012, 10:59 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:

One thing is for sure...Bose sure doesn't want its consumer to know what is in the soundbar! Tried to find out, from the Bose web site, what the configuration of drivers was...it was like I was trying to get information from the IRS!

Why do you care what's in the box? What matters is whether or not you like the sound, the package, the service and the price. If you don't, buy something else. If you do, it doesn't make you a audio philistine.

Most of the technology is shared with the Videowave. Lots of public domain info for that product.
http://www.ubergizmo.com/2010/09/fla...eowave-system/

John

P.S. the views represented in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer (Bose Corporation).

John Feng
(Bose employee)
post #33 of 60 Old 01-25-2012, 11:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

As I recall reading there are 5 drivers in the bar itself,,,, I would get a flashlight and look at my bar's inards to verify that but its kind of a pain as I have it flat mounted above my Sharp panel.

As far as how the Bose puts out the very convincing surround effect Im not sure,,, but I will say when I run the room calibration on the Bose you can clearly hear the soundbeams bouncing around the room,,, the rear surrounds, the left and right and center channels are all there.

The room calibration works exactly like the Yamaha YSP's I have owned.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo,
I appreciate your sense of curiosity and your willingness to like or hate the product based on living with it in your own home. Just remember: What a speaker looks like (when you pull of the grill or look thru it) can be revealing, completely misleading, or anything between these extremes.

Ask yourself this. Can you judge the composition and mechanical properties of something just by looking at it? Does the appearance of a speaker necessarily reflect how it performs, what it costs to make, or anything else relevant to it's intended purpose? yes, sometimes it does. When you see a speaker with a exposed "carbon fibre" weave, shiny metallic dust cap, and other visual design features .... it means someone spent time and money hoping the looks influence your perception of performance and quality. By the same token, if it looks kind of plain and uninteresting, maybe the mfg put more money into the acoustic behavior of the part or maybe they just spent less.

John
P.S. the views represented in this post are my own and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer (Bose Corporation).

John Feng
(Bose employee)
post #34 of 60 Old 01-25-2012, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_Feng View Post

Davyo,
I appreciate your sense of curiosity and your willingness to like or hate the product based on living with it in your own home. Just remember: What a speaker looks like (when you pull of the grill or look thru it) can be revealing, completely misleading, or anything between these extremes.

Ask yourself this. Can you judge the composition and mechanical properties of something just by looking at it? Does the appearance of a speaker necessarily reflect how it performs, what it costs to make, or anything else relevant to it's intended purpose? yes, sometimes it does. When you see a speaker with a exposed "carbon fibre" weave, shiny metallic dust cap, and other visual design features .... it means someone spent time and money hoping the looks influence your perception of performance and quality. By the same token, if it looks kind of plain and uninteresting, maybe the mfg put more money into the acoustic behavior of the part or maybe they just spent less.

John

Hey John,,,, not sure I understand your post as a reply from my quote.

Someone asked me how many speakers were in the 1SR and I simply said I think 5 but had not looked inside the bar to verifie that,,,,, other than that I had made no comments about the speakers at all.

Perhaps you have my postings or comments confussed with someone else's that had asked about the type or design of the speakers inside the Bose bar or slammed Bose speakers or some kinda comments like that.

Cheers
Davyo
post #35 of 60 Old 01-26-2012, 10:50 AM

D,
Yes, I did misread your response and the question. Sorry about that.
Left over prejudice from the last time I participated in AVSF.

John

John Feng
(Bose employee)
post #36 of 60 Old 01-31-2012, 12:15 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A Bose 1SR up-date,,,, I went ahead and connected my BluRay via optical and HD DVR via digital coax with not using the optical out from my Sharp 80" panel (my Sharp is only out-putting 2.1 via the optical out)

The results: BIG jump in sound quality hooking my BD player directly to the Bose bar,,,, and when I say BIG junp in sound I mean HUGE !!!!!

The surround sound and the overall sound and tone took a giant leep in quality doing the direct hook-up,,,,, WOW !!!!!!!,,,,, (night and day difference), the Bose went from sounding like a really good 5.1 system to now sounding like a really great 7.1 system.

I highly recomend hooking the 1SR directly to your BD player via optical or digital coax.

As far as hooking the Bose directly to my HD DVR box via digital coax,, it does sound better but not as much as a jump in sound quality as the BD player hook-up.

The only problem/pain in the ass,,, is you have to turn off the Bose when changing between the BD or the HD box,,,, the Bose searchs for the best audio connection and unless to turn off the Bose for a moment it gets confussed on which input to use.

Anyhow,,,, just thought I would pass that up-date along.

Cheers
Davyo
post #37 of 60 Old 01-31-2012, 06:18 AM

Hi everyone

Davyo

I'm new and started reading these threads because I was looking to replace my old stereo setup

I first was interested in the ysp 2200 but after reading and speaking to a sales guy I realized that may not work in my large room so I bought the JBL soundbar
at a smaller store and was supposed to pick it up at a different location. A couple days later (still hadn't picked up my JBL) I decided to go into a Best Buy and there I decided to demo the sound bars in a much larger surrounding than the other store that I bought the JBL. That is when I realized that the JbL would not accomplish what I really wanted so I tried all of them setup and a sales guy brought me over to the new Bose 1sr and I was blown away so I immediately drove over to refund my money at the store I had bought my Jbl and returned to buy the 1sr. It was over double the price but I'm really happy I spent the extra
Money!

I'm not what you would call an audiophile but I love great sound and wanted something for watching sports and movies but more importantly for listening to music with my iPhone. At first I was unsure how to accomplish this due to what you described and thought initially I might have to return(lack of inputs and display my only negatives about this product). The issue I discovered is anything connected to the soundbar must have an audio and video connection to the bar and tv unless you're using HDMI which has 3 in 1 to make a long story short I decided the best way was to go with apple tv connected to TV and I'm glad I did it works great wirelessly playing my iTunes through AirPlay through the tv and 1sr sounds awesome for such a small unit and wires and mess wife's happy too

All in all I have to agree with everything you say about the 1sr but I'm am curious now on how it really compares to the bw panorama and the higher end Bose (not sure of the name). I did listen to the high end Yamaha ysp as well and it wasnt as good IMO.
post #38 of 60 Old 01-31-2012, 06:41 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by northernyeti View Post

Hi everyone

Davyo

I'm new and started reading these threads because I was looking to replace my old stereo setup

I first was interested in the ysp 2200 but after reading and speaking to a sales guy I realized that may not work in my large room so I bought the JBL soundbar
at a smaller store and was supposed to pick it up at a different location. A couple days later (still hadn't picked up my JBL) I decided to go into a Best Buy and there I decided to demo the sound bars in a much larger surrounding than the other store that I bought the JBL. That is when I realized that the JbL would not accomplish what I really wanted so I tried all of them setup and a sales guy brought me over to the new Bose 1sr and I was blown away so I immediately drove over to refund my money at the store I had bought my Jbl and returned to buy the 1sr. It was over double the price but I'm really happy I spent the extra
Money!

I'm not what you would call an audiophile but I love great sound and wanted something for watching sports and movies but more importantly for listening to music with my iPhone. At first I was unsure how to accomplish this due to what you described and thought initially I might have to return(lack of inputs and display my only negatives about this product). The issue I discovered is anything connected to the soundbar must have an audio and video connection to the bar and tv unless you're using HDMI which has 3 in 1 to make a long story short I decided the best way was to go with apple tv connected to TV and I'm glad I did it works great wirelessly playing my iTunes through AirPlay through the tv and 1sr sounds awesome for such a small unit and wires and mess wife's happy too

All in all I have to agree with everything you say about the 1sr but I'm am curious now on how it really compares to the bw panorama and the higher end Bose (not sure of the name). I did listen to the high end Yamaha ysp as well and it wasnt as good IMO.

Hi,,, and welcome to the forum.

The more expensive Bose soundbar you mentioned is the 135 model.

As far as the YSP's,,, I have owned them and like the Bose much better in every way.

The Panorama,,,, I have not really listened to it,,, reasons being, its too big and its more money,,,, I been afraid to check it out in fear of liking it to much.
But even "if" it sounded better than the Bose I still would not get it,,, the Bose has such a sleek compact look to it while the Panorama is just too big and bulky for my taste.

I think the Panorama would have to sound pretty amazing to top the already jaw dropping surround sound and overall sound I am getting from the Bose.

I just cant say enough good about how great the Bose sounds !!!!!

Cheers
Davyo
post #39 of 60 Old 01-31-2012, 09:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Hi,,, and welcome to the forum.

The more expensive Bose soundbar you mentioned is the 135 model.

As far as the YSP's,,, I have owned them and like the Bose much better in every way.

The Panorama,,,, I have not really listened to it,,, reasons being, its too big and its more money,,,, I been afraid to check it out in fear of liking it to much.
But even "if" it sounded better than the Bose I still would not get it,,, the Bose has such a sleek compact look to it while the Panorama is just too big and bulky for my taste.

I think the Panorama would have to sound pretty amazing to top the already jaw dropping surround sound and overall sound I am getting from the Bose.

I just cant say enough good about how great the Bose sounds !!!!!

Cheers
Davyo

That Bose soundbar must be amazing. You have heaped so much praise on it that it makes me think this might be the best sounding unit of any kind that you can get for that amount of money.
post #40 of 60 Old 01-31-2012, 10:10 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 58 Post(s)
Liked: 165
Gee, why would I care what's in?
1. Are the drivers going to be big enough for my room?
2. Are they the size to produce full range sound?
3. How are they arranged? Will I have significant dispersion issues?
4. Am I getting the quality that matches the price..

Almost every other speaker manufactor tell you the size of its drivers, the specs, tell or shows you the arrangement, etc. It is information that many electronic consumers want to know. Sure, how it sounds is the most improtant thing...but the drivers/size info is not irrelevant! I am sure I could find it somewhere, but it sure wasn't available to me on the Bose web site!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
post #41 of 60 Old 01-31-2012, 05:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cardinalryan View Post

That Bose soundbar must be amazing. You have heaped so much praise on it that it makes me think this might be the best sounding unit of any kind that you can get for that amount of money.

Yep,,,, right now I do think it is the king of the soundbars',,, but with that being said I am interested to audition the Harman Kardon SB30 when it gets released ,,,,(no release date yet and no reply email from HK).

The HK SB30 will have to put up a good fight to do as well as the Bose bar.

Cheers
Davyo
post #42 of 60 Old 01-31-2012, 05:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Almost every other speaker manufactor tell you the size of its drivers, the specs, tell or shows you the arrangement, etc. It is information that many electronic consumers want to know. Sure, how it sounds is the most improtant thing...but the drivers/size info is not irrelevant! I am sure I could find it somewhere, but it sure wasn't available to me on the Bose web site!

Me personally, I could care less what the Bose has for its innards,,,,, the only thing I care about is how it sounds.

For all I know Bose could be using Zig Zag rolling papers to make the speakers, no matter,,,,, all I care about is the sound.

Cheers
Davyo
post #43 of 60 Old 01-31-2012, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Guys, you just have to hear it for yourself
post #44 of 60 Old 02-01-2012, 11:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Davyo, I am not questioning your judgement or info...just saying, in the MASS of choices we all have (How many different soundbars, or speakers are there?), it is often useful to have some specs/criteria to help narrow one's choice. An I don't think it is too much to expect a manufacture to back up claims of "full range" sound by providing some supporting documentation...

post #45 of 60 Old 02-01-2012, 12:44 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:

Davyo, I am not questioning your judgement or info...just saying, in the MASS of choices we all have (How many different soundbars, or speakers are there?), it is often useful to have some specs/criteria to help narrow one's choice. An I don't think it is too much to expect a manufacture to back up claims of "full range" sound by providing some supporting documentation...

Yeah. Speaking of which, I have a question that nobody from Bose has been able to answer.
So there are 2 sound bars. It is clear that one cant decode the full lossless Blu ray audios, as there is no hdmi out, just optical. So I guess one is getting the dts core at 1.5mbps. Still really good.
Can the upper Bose Soundbar that does have hdmi actually give one the full lossless dts ma, Dolby true codecs?
post #46 of 60 Old 02-01-2012, 02:11 PM

Quote:

Well, what you see does influence your perception of the sound. But many people (audiophiles in particular) make the common mistake of assuming they can hear with their eyes. This is the same reason most audio specs are worthless. It's also why you need to audition in your own home and you have return privileges.

John

John Feng
(Bose employee)
post #47 of 60 Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Yeah. Speaking of which, I have a question that nobody from Bose has been able to answer.
So there are 2 sound bars. It is clear that one cant decode the full lossless Blu ray audios, as there is no hdmi out, just optical. So I guess one is getting the dts core at 1.5mbps. Still really good.
Can the upper Bose Soundbar that does have hdmi actually give one the full lossless dts ma, Dolby true codecs?

Yes
post #48 of 60 Old 02-01-2012, 02:20 PM

Hello Davyo, thank you for sharing your opinions and experience with the 1SR. I too saw that in my local Best Buy and was shocked after knowing how much it cost, not to mention it did not sound like $1500.00 with their crappy in-store set up. I've been reading reviews on Amazon as well and saw some horrible comments on it, now I don't know if those people knows what they're doing but one comment I read was that the dialogue from the actors are being overwhelmed by the rest of the sounds where it makes it hard to hear what they're saying, have you experienced this issue? Also one reviewer said the sound becomes fatique(?) or distorted once the volume is being increase, I'd like your clarification on that please. I'm really thinking about giving this a go since it will be my first soundbar and first home surround system, thank you.
post #49 of 60 Old 02-01-2012, 06:00 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Not to worry, I did not take your post in that way at all,,,, and I would agree that Bose is not very forthcoming when it comes to spec's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Yea,,,, good question,,,,,what does the 1SR decode and what does the 135 decode,,,, perhaps "J_Feng" could answer that one as he works for Bose.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

Yes

How do you know that, do you know what the 1SR and the 135 decode and the difference's ???

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoca View Post

Hello Davyo, thank you for sharing your opinions and experience with the 1SR. I too saw that in my local Best Buy and was shocked after knowing how much it cost, not to mention it did not sound like $1500.00 with their crappy in-store set up. I've been reading reviews on Amazon as well and saw some horrible comments on it, now I don't know if those people knows what they're doing but one comment I read was that the dialogue from the actors are being overwhelmed by the rest of the sounds where it makes it hard to hear what they're saying, have you experienced this issue? Also one reviewer said the sound becomes fatique(?) or distorted once the volume is being increase, I'd like your clarification on that please. I'm really thinking about giving this a go since it will be my first soundbar and first home surround system, thank you.

I have no problem with dialog with my Bose bar,,, everything sounds perfect.

As far as bad comments on Amazon, I have read those as well, I would not be to quick to beleive those comments though as there are lots of Bose bashers out in the wild that will bash Bose products they have never even heard or seen,,,,,,, and by the same token I have heard that Bose employee's will spice review site's with glowing Bose review's,,,, I would guess there is some dis-honesty going on from both ends,,, Bose bashers and people connected to Bose.

As far as any distortion with loud volume I cant comment on that, I live in a condo and share one wall with a neighbor,,,, if I were to crank the volume really loud I might get a visit from the cops,,,, I have had the 1SR cranked up a bit though and have had no distortion at all.

Cheers
Davyo
post #50 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 06:20 AM
AVS Special Member

Well, John, I am not disagree with your premise...you really have to hear a speaker/soundbar and in your own home before you can be sure. But given there are several hundred choices of soundbars and many more in the speaker area, you absolutely have to have some criteria to limit your choices...price, driver size, tweeters type (horn versus metal versus ribbon, etc depending on what "style" of high freq you might like), subwoofer size, how low does the system play, etc.
If Company X is claiming full range sound, but has 3 inches drivers...colour me skeptical and show me the freq response plots to back up the claim! I am not sure why buying speakers has to be like listening to a politician!

post #51 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 06:56 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

A Bose connection update: I was having a problem with my connections with my Bose bar as in when running the optical out from my Sharp panel the Sharp is only passing 2.1.

When I hook my BD player via optical directly to the Bose bar the jump in sound quality was dramatic to say the least since Im now sending the Bose a true 5.1 feed.

I also connected my HD DVR box directly to the Bose via a dig coax cable,, a bit of a jump in sound quality as well.

Problem was I would either have to turn off the BD player or the HD box and aslo turn off the Bose, then turn the Bose back on and either the BD player OR the HD box for the Bose to choose which input to play.

Called Bose CS and problem solved, in order for the Bose bar to know which input to use you still need to keep the optical out from you panel plugged ioto the Bose bar, then also plug the optical and the dig coax into the AUX connectors on the Bose, the Bose then finds the best audio feed with the panel telling the Bose bar which audio feed you are watching because of the optical connection from your panel,,,,, makes sense and probelm solved.

Anyhow, just thought I would post that info for anyone that might have a problem with more than one connection to the Bose bar.

Cheers
Davyo
post #52 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 07:40 AM

Hmm, i wonder how this works with PS3. With the PS3 you can either do audio thru HDMI or optical, not both. Im wondering what kind of signal the bose will get from the TV if there is no audio coming to the TV thru the HDMI......

I will, however, say that this is exactly the way they tell you to hook it up in the manual. Both components to TV, both components to soundbar, TV to soundbar. Perhaps this works.

Shawn
post #53 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 09:08 AM

Davyo, in the dvd context, you are saying the Bose soundbar will decide between 2.1 audio (DVD audio that goes to tv via hdmi and then is transferred by optical cable to soundbar) and 5.1 audio (DVD audio going directly to soundbar through direct optical connection)? The soundbar will always choose the DVD optical 5.1 audio?
post #54 of 60 Old 02-02-2012, 11:36 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinalyx View Post

Hmm, i wonder how this works with PS3. With the PS3 you can either do audio thru HDMI or optical, not both. Im wondering what kind of signal the bose will get from the TV if there is no audio coming to the TV thru the HDMI......

I will, however, say that this is exactly the way they tell you to hook it up in the manual. Both components to TV, both components to soundbar, TV to soundbar. Perhaps this works.

Shawn

Dammm,,,, guess I should start reading those pesky manuals

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badgers96 View Post

Davyo, in the dvd context, you are saying the Bose soundbar will decide between 2.1 audio (DVD audio that goes to tv via hdmi and then is transferred by optical cable to soundbar) and 5.1 audio (DVD audio going directly to soundbar through direct optical connection)? The soundbar will always choose the DVD optical 5.1 audio?

Correct.

Cheers
Davyo
post #55 of 60 Old 02-03-2012, 07:51 AM

Thank you for the response Davyo. I only have the PS3 as my BD player but mainly I game on it, currently it's connected to my Panasonic v10 via HDMI so if I hook up the 1SR directly to the PS3 with the optical cable, that will give me great 7.1 sound, no? In this case, wouldn't I need to mute the TV?
post #56 of 60 Old 02-03-2012, 01:27 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wedoca View Post

Thank you for the response Davyo. I only have the PS3 as my BD player but mainly I game on it, currently it's connected to my Panasonic v10 via HDMI so if I hook up the 1SR directly to the PS3 with the optical cable, that will give me great 7.1 sound, no? In this case, wouldn't I need to mute the TV?

If the ONLY thing you have hooked to your V10 is a PS3 and no optical running from you V10 to the Bose then yes,,,, there would be no conflict for the Bose to decide which audio feed to use if you only have the PS3 optical plugged into the Bose,,,,,,, either turn off or mute the V10 speakers.

Cheers
Davyo
post #57 of 60 Old 02-10-2012, 02:07 PM

Alright I finally did it, went to BB and bought the damn thing last week. When they ring me up I couldn't believe the price on the register haha.
This is my first sound system EVER and it's placed in front of my plasma in the bed room, not the best area to put it but it'll do for now. What else can I say, of course it obliterated the TV speakers and filled the whole room with sound... GT5 sounded heavenly with Dolby DTS 5.1 and can't wait to watch some Akira on it.
I just would like to know is there a way to buy some brackets/clips so I can sit the array (so sexy) unit on top of the plasma? Secondly is I hooked the 1SR via optical from the "TV" optical input at the back of 1SR to the PS3, any difference if I hook it from the "AUX" otpical input to the PS3?
post #58 of 60 Old 02-10-2012, 02:09 PM

I'm sorry, please remove the duplicate post(s). Thank you.
post #59 of 60 Old 03-23-2012, 06:26 PM

Hey Davyo,

Can I see a pic of your current setup, assuming that its the 1sr currently. I wanted to see how it looks when laying it flat vs vertical.

Thanks!!
post #60 of 60 Old 10-15-2013, 09:40 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 21
Are people still happy with their 1SR's?

I was in Best Buy Tuesday and was very impress with the sound. It's definitely pricy but IMHO it sounded better that any of the other sound bars that they had setup for demo. We'll be in the market for a good sound bar once our new home is built. The house is very open concept. The great room / kitchen measuring 30' x 20', with high vaulted ceilings. My better half doesn't want a lot of speakers in the room so I'll concede on this one. I'll have a decent sized HT in the basement. biggrin.gif

Is this just too much room for a sound bar?

Cheers!

-- Bill --
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Bose Cinemate 1 Sr Digital Home Theater Speaker System , Sony Ht Ct350 Virtual 5 1 Sound Bar
Gear in this thread - Ct350 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page