My Bose 1SR vs Sony CT-350 at home shoot-out,,,,,and the winner is !!!!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Reply
 
Thread Tools
post #1 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 03:25 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok,, so I could not resist,, after more than a few Bose 1SR soundbar in store demo's and being very impressed I had to take one home and try it out.
Is the Bose a great "sounding" soundbar,,,, YES !!!!!!,,,, the 1SR rocks, the surround effect is really amazing.

But here is the bad stuff,,, top bad thing,, after tax's the Bose was $1,621.00,, WOW,,, thats pretty steep and here's the bottom line,,, it was not $1,621.00 better than my Sony CT-350.

Did the Bose kick my Sonys ass,,,, nope,, the Sony held up pretty darn good against the Bose,,, yes, the Bose was better but like I said, not $1,621.00 better,,,,,,, or should I say $1,421.00 better if you count the $200.00 I paid for the CT-350 at the Best Buy blow out sale.

Sonicly, the Bose did sound richer and brighter and more defined,,, in comparison the Sony sounds muddy,,, but thats listening to them side by side taking turns muting each bar.

I used my I-Robot BluRay with the Bose connected via optical from my BluRay player.

Lets put it this way,,, if the Bose was half the price then it would be a keeper,, but I just kept looking at it and seeing the over $1,600.00 price tag hanging off it,,,, if it would have been light years better than my CT-350 then perhaps it would be a keeper,, yes, it was better than the CT-350,, just not $1,421.00 better.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
post #2 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 03:30 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Below,, picture of the Bose bar and my Sony CT-350 sitting on top of my 70" Sharp flat panel.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #3 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 04:10 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ahhh,, I guess I should ad this,,,, when I heard the Bose demo at Fry's it was in a room with full side walls and YES,, the Bose did sound amazing.

In my living room I dont have complete full side walls so I think that hurt the Bose a bit in not sounding as good with the surround effect at home as it did in the demo,,,, the Sony is less dependant on bouncing the sound off of walls and while the Bose did create a better surround effect in my living room the Sony was not that far behind,,,,, just wanted to add that in case anyone was interested in the surround effect comparison.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #4 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 08:13 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok,,, an update,,,,, I "might" keep the Bose for a few more days and play with it a bit more,,,,,,,, I will post another review after I do that.

Damm Bose,, they make a very cool soundbar but price it so high that it makes you not want to buy it,,,, and if you do buy it the price makes you want to return it no matter how good it sounds,,,,,

One thing I will say,,, I do feel it is one of the best sounding soundbar's I have ever demoed at home.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #5 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 06:16 PM
Newbie
 
dcobserver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Ok,,, an update,,,,, I "might" keep the Bose for a few more days and play with it a bit more,,,,,,,, I will post another review after I do that.

Damm Bose,, they make a very cool soundbar but price it so high that it makes you not want to buy it,,,, and if you do buy it the price makes you want to return it no matter how good it sounds,,,,,

One thing I will say,,, I do feel it is one of the best sounding soundbar's I have ever demoed at home.

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo, I'm glad you posted this. I still owe you my in-home comparison of the Bose 1-SR versus the Yamaha YSP-4100, but finding an external subwoofer for the YSP so that I can compare the two more accurately is a pain in the butt. Any recommendations for a sub for the YSP? I'm choosing between the Polk DSW pro 440wi, the Yamaha YST-SW 315, and the Klipsh SW 350.

Ok, I digress....I'm a bit disappointed by the premise upon which you base your conclusion in your review. It is so difficult and subjective to make a judgement on something based on its economic value. I realize that's the whole point behind deciding whether something is worth it, but how do you really value a considerably better soundbar. How do you determine that the 1-SR is worth it only if it was half its price. For me, the fact that it sounds better than any other soundbar (except for maybe the YSP-4100) is enough reason to pay more than 3 or 4 times the Sony. In other words, how much would you pay to know that you had the best sounding soundbar out there...how much is that worth? I think that measurement is not so easily quantified.

But again, I should'nt comment on another individual's value judgement on economics...I just don't think it should be the sole criterion of someone so knowledgeable as you seem to be.

Thanks!
dcobserver is offline  
post #6 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 07:23 PM
b4z
Advanced Member
 
b4z's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Location: chas.sc
Posts: 785
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 13
For $1600 wouldn't it make sense to buy the b&w which is head and shoulders over bose.

The op only paid $200 for a soundbar which is cheap, a soundbar that is better needs to be a LOT better for $1400 more.
b4z is offline  
post #7 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 08:01 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcobserver View Post

Ok, I digress....I'm a bit disappointed by the premise upon which you base your conclusion in your review. It is so difficult and subjective to make a judgement on something based on its economic value. I realize that's the whole point behind deciding whether something is worth it, but how do you really value a considerably better soundbar. How do you determine that the 1-SR is worth it only if it was half its price. For me, the fact that it sounds better than any other soundbar (except for maybe the YSP-4100) is enough reason to pay more than 3 or 4 times the Sony. In other words, how much would you pay to know that you had the best sounding soundbar out there...how much is that worth? I think that measurement is not so easily quantified.

But again, I should'nt comment on another individual's value judgement on economics...I just don't think it should be the sole criterion of someone so knowledgeable as you seem to be.

Thanks!

Yes,,,, I would agree 100% with every thing you said,,, very valid points.

The points you made are the reason's I have not returned the Bose yet and am re-thinking keeping or returning it.

There is some other reasons I have thought about returning the 1SR,,, to be honest, and I know this might sound odd,,, Im kinda pissed at Bose, not only for their pricing policies but because of the things they could do and dont do to make their products better.

On the 1SR it would have been no big deal to include some HDMI connections or a little LED screen on the bar to monitor volume levels and channels ect.,,,, at the steep selling price they left off such basic features that every other product on the planet has for far far less money,,,, and I understand Bose thought process,, they leave the features off the 1SR so they can try and sell the much more expensive 135 soundbar system that does have the basic features.

The way Bose does business has always pissed me off,,, the powers that be at Bose do some things very well while some things they do very badly,,, lots of bad choices Bose makes and they are just really out of touch with what many consumer's feels about their company.

I understand that Bose price's their stuff into the stratoshpere of high pricing to try and keep their rep as a top end product but Bose forgot about the internet,,, back in the day, before the web, Bose had a much better rep than now days,, these days people are more informed and have far more knowlege about products,,,, Bose gets much slamming online as a result,,, but Bose still acts in some ways like the internet does not exist,,,, they are still living in the 80's.

Over the years I have called and email Bose asking them why they make some of the dumb choices they make,,, all I have ever gotten back is BS replies and excuss's from Bose,,,, it would be nice to talk to someone at Bose that actually makes decisions to find out why they do what they do.

I could go on forever about ALL the stuff Bose screws up but that would be a very long post,,,,, yes, they do some things great but they do some things very badly,,,,, very odd company.

Anyhow,, back to the subject,, the price, Bose business practices and the lack of any BASIC needed features on the 1SR are the reasons that make me not want to keep the 1SR, in spite of the fact it is a great sounding soundbar.

Sorry for the rant,,,,, Bose does that to me !!!!!

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #8 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 08:24 PM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post


Yes,,,, I would agree 100% with every thing you said,,, very valid points.

The points you made are the reason's I have not returned the Bose yet and am re-thinking keeping or returning it.

There is some other reasons I have thought about returning the 1SR,,, to be honest, and I know this might sound odd,,, Im kinda pissed at Bose, not only for their pricing policies but because of the things they could do and dont do to make their products better.

On the 1SR it would have been no big deal to include some HDMI connections or a little LED screen on the bar to monitor volume levels and channels ect.,,,, at the steep selling price they left off such basic features that every other product on the planet has for far far less money,,,, and I understand Bose thought process,, they leave the features off the 1SR so they can try and sell the much more expensive 135 soundbar system that does have the basic features.

The way Bose does business has always pissed me off,,, the powers that be at Bose do some things very well while some things they do very badly,,, lots of bad choices Bose makes and they are just really out of touch with what many consumer's feels about their company.

I understand that Bose price's their stuff into the stratoshpere of high pricing to try and keep their rep as a top end product but Bose forgot about the internet,,, back in the day, before the web, Bose had a much better rep than now days,, these days people are more informed and have far more knowlege about products,,,, Bose gets much slamming online as a result,,, but Bose still acts in some ways like the internet does not exist,,,, they are still living in the 80's.

Over the years I have called and email Bose asking them why they make some of the dumb choices they make,,, all I have ever gotten back is BS replies and excuss's from Bose,,,, it would be nice to talk to someone at Bose that actually makes decisions to find out why they do what they do.

I could go on forever about ALL the stuff Bose screws up but that would be a very long post,,,,, yes, they do some things great but they do some things very badly,,,,, very odd company.

Anyhow,, back to the subject,, the price, Bose business practices and the lack of any BASIC needed features on the 1SR are the reasons that make me not want to keep the 1SR, in spite of the fact it is a great sounding soundbar.

Sorry for the rant,,,,, Bose does that to me !!!!!

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo!
You kill me. I listened to the Bose last week at Frys. Perfect room. Blew me away. Avatar. Surrround was awesome
frostylou is offline  
post #9 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 08:26 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

For $1600 wouldn't it make sense to buy the b&w which is head and shoulders over bose.

The op only paid $200 for a soundbar which is cheap, a soundbar that is better needs to be a LOT better for $1400 more.

Yea,,, the B&W is a great interest to me,,, but its way more money than even the Bose,,,, I do have a bit of a budget that I need to stay within,,, the Bose price tag was pushing my budget as it is.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #10 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 08:28 PM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post

For $1600 wouldn't it make sense to buy the b&w which is head and shoulders over bose.

The Panorama is and isn't. Sound wise, yes the Panor is better. Surrround sound wise, with walls, the Bose is better. And I am a fan of the Panorama, and b&w in general. But for discrete 5.1ish surround the Bose totally wins
frostylou is offline  
post #11 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Davyo!
You kill me. I listened to the Bose last week at Frys. Perfect room. Blew me away. Avatar. Surrround was awesome

Hey Frosty,,,, yea,, at Frys the Bose was jaw dropping,,,,,, sadly my living room is not the "perfect" room for sound reflection,,,, but Im guna give the Bose a few more run thru's and alter the postioning of the bar and a few different BluRays.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #12 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 09:16 PM
Newbie
 
dcobserver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Yes,,,, I would agree 100% with every thing you said,,, very valid points.

The points you made are the reason's I have not returned the Bose yet and am re-thinking keeping or returning it.

There is some other reasons I have thought about returning the 1SR,,, to be honest, and I know this might sound odd,,, Im kinda pissed at Bose, not only for their pricing policies but because of the things they could do and dont do to make their products better.

On the 1SR it would have been no big deal to include some HDMI connections or a little LED screen on the bar to monitor volume levels and channels ect.,,,, at the steep selling price they left off such basic features that every other product on the planet has for far far less money,,,, and I understand Bose thought process,, they leave the features off the 1SR so they can try and sell the much more expensive 135 soundbar system that does have the basic features.

The way Bose does business has always pissed me off,,, the powers that be at Bose do some things very well while some things they do very badly,,, lots of bad choices Bose makes and they are just really out of touch with what many consumer's feels about their company.

I understand that Bose price's their stuff into the stratoshpere of high pricing to try and keep their rep as a top end product but Bose forgot about the internet,,, back in the day, before the web, Bose had a much better rep than now days,, these days people are more informed and have far more knowlege about products,,,, Bose gets much slamming online as a result,,, but Bose still acts in some ways like the internet does not exist,,,, they are still living in the 80's.

Over the years I have called and email Bose asking them why they make some of the dumb choices they make,,, all I have ever gotten back is BS replies and excuss's from Bose,,,, it would be nice to talk to someone at Bose that actually makes decisions to find out why they do what they do.

I could go on forever about ALL the stuff Bose screws up but that would be a very long post,,,,, yes, they do some things great but they do some things very badly,,,,, very odd company.

Anyhow,, back to the subject,, the price, Bose business practices and the lack of any BASIC needed features on the 1SR are the reasons that make me not want to keep the 1SR, in spite of the fact it is a great sounding soundbar.

Sorry for the rant,,,,, Bose does that to me !!!!!

Cheers
Davyo

Davyo - Thanks for the reply. That's not the response I anticipated but is of course legitimate. You are a consumer spending your hard earned money (and in the case of a Bose product, a lot of your money), as the strongest power you have as a consumer is to not purchase a product or to return it.

The marketing tactics you cited are common in some other industries, such as the luxury car makers. But even they are having to adjust the different economic times and consumer options. With Bose, their response to my questions on the need for HDMI units and simple treble control options were to purchase the $2,500 soundbar.

Interestingly, my first reaction after I installed the Bose was to compare it with the speakers on my Sony Bravia, and I commented to my wife that it did sound like it was $1,600 better (similar to your response). But I then later felt that the price tag was a bargain when compared with others of comparable quality and as compared to the Yamaha YSP-4100 I'm sampling.

Did you notice Crutchfield and other dealers heavily push the current Bose 10% off promotion.
dcobserver is offline  
post #13 of 60 Old 12-28-2011, 09:17 PM
Newbie
 
dcobserver's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 9
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Sorry, I meant "not $1,600 better" above.
dcobserver is offline  
post #14 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 04:37 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Well,,,, here's the verdict,,, I am 95% sure Im going to keep the Bose,,,, yea,,, Im doing a change of opinion on the Bose.

I re-postioned the Bose on top of my Sharp 70 incher and layed the Bose flat (same position as if it were sitting on a shelf),, I re-ran the calibration IQ and then tried some more BluRays (Avatar and the newest Star Trek among my favorites for audio testing) and then I tried to remove the tiny broken peice of plastic I just found inside the optical out on my BluRay player (that did not go well),,,, so right now Im only running the RCA's out of my BluRay player to the Bose as my optical out on my BD player is shot,, I have to get a new BD player tommorrow with a working optical out.

Anyhow, even though Im only running RCA's out to the Bose the 1SR has come to life and is sounding much better than my first run thru.

I could not run the optical out from my Sharp panel as the optical out is on the back of my Sharp and its flush wall mounted, so there is no getting to the Sharps optical out unless I pull the 70 incher down off the wall.

So,,, the new review,,, the Bose is now doing more of what I heard at the Fry's demo,,, the surround on this thing is getting into the amazing catagory.

After playing with it all night Im finding I might have been a bit to quick to judge the Bose with my first impressions of it only being just a bit better than my CT-350,,,, it would seem the Bose is now sounding ALOT better than my CT-350 and dare I say might be a keeper.

As far as the CT-350 I gota say its a great soundbar to have put up a pretty good fight against the 1SR but after more time spent with the Bose its getting more and more impressive.

So I am officaly eatting my words and doing a 180 on my first impressions of the 1SR,,,, yep,,,, it is the best soundbar I have ever owned and Im thinkin it just might be a keeper,,,, now I just have to get over spending $1,621.00 on a Bose product.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #15 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 05:05 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok,,,, another update,,,,, I just flipped on my digital cable HD channels with the Bose 1SR for the first time and WOW,,, I never knew CNN could sound so good !!!!!!!!!

My CT-350 never sounded this good with my cable channels.

Ok,,,,, now Im about 99% on keeping the Bose 1SR.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #16 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 09:41 AM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Ok,,,, another update,,,,, I just flipped on my digital cable HD channels with the Bose 1SR for the first time and WOW,,, I never knew CNN could sound so good !!!!!!!!!

My CT-350 never sounded this good with my cable channels.

Ok,,,,, now Im about 99% on keeping the Bose 1SR.

Cheers
Davyo

Do it!
frostylou is offline  
post #17 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 09:54 AM
AVS Special Member
 
flickhtguru's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Lebanon, PA
Posts: 2,458
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 105
Davyo........ Have you heard or demoed the BIC America FH56-BAR???

The reason I'm asking is I never heard it, but as far as specs, driver size, and price ($289) go seems like it would be the winner over most sound bars. You do need a seperate receiver and subwoofer for that bar tho.

http://www.acousticsounddesign.com/c...pid=1762&sc=29

Shawn
flickhtguru is offline  
post #18 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 10:22 AM
Member
 
the dza's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 62
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Davyo, thanks for doing this.

You are making me want to get the Bose instead of the Definitive xtr-ssa5. There are just not enough reviews for the xtr's.

One question, does the Bose require side walls to sound like an enveloping surround sound? My set up is in my living room. There would be no wall to the right of the TV/surround bar in my set up. I am looking for a surround experience that fools me into thinking that there are more than one speaker.
the dza is offline  
post #19 of 60 Old 12-29-2011, 02:32 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by the dza View Post

Davyo, thanks for doing this.

You are making me want to get the Bose instead of the Definitive xtr-ssa5. There are just not enough reviews for the xtr's.

One question, does the Bose require side walls to sound like an enveloping surround sound? My set up is in my living room. There would be no wall to the right of the TV/surround bar in my set up. I am looking for a surround experience that fools me into thinking that there are more than one speaker.

Yes,,,,, its best to have side walls with the Bose, I dont know how good or bad the Bose would sound without side walls.

In reality I think all soundbars are dependant on walls to reflect sound even if they say they are not,,,,,, with a missing wall or two my suggestion for a soundbar would be the Sony CT-xxx or the Polk 6000.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #20 of 60 Old 12-30-2011, 06:50 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Ok,,, final word on the Bose 1SR,, its a keeper !!!!

I pulled my 70" Sharp of the wall to access and my optical output from the Sharp to run the optical directly to the Bose bar,,, doing this did not change the sound from when I was running the optical directly from my HD cable box or my BluRay player,,, so I guess it dont really matter if you run the optical from the TV out or an opticla out on one of your components.

I gota say,, the Bose is sounding more and more better every time I play it, and the surround effect is really quite amazing now,,, the Bose is night and day difference from my first run-thru where I was not feeling it was that much better than my Sony CT-350.

A little more on the surround effect,,, it really does sound like I have speakers hanging all around the room and even a little bit in back of me as well,,, I would put this Bose up against a top end Yamaha YSP any day of the week (yes, I have owned a few YSP's).

Had a few friends come by last night to check out some movies and didnt tell them anything about the Bose,,,playing Avatar one friend was looking around the room for the speakers, he was tring to be sneaky about it as he is rather tech savy,,,, after a few minutes of lookng around he realized it was just the bar sitting on top of my Sharp panel putting out all the sound,,,, he was pretty shocked.

Another thing,, after doing the calibration there is no bad spot in my living room,,,, my whole room is the sweet spot.

Anyhow,,, hate to say it, but I have gone over to the dark side (Bose),, I know there might be some on here that are going to bust my balls for going Bose,,,, who knows there might be some really creative postings on this thread talking about the paper Bose makes their speakers out of,,, or some one really smart might make up some saying like "no highs, no lows, must be Blose",,,,,, ohhhh I can hardly wait to here all the crap from people that have never even heard the Bose bar.

I just hope I dont get kicked off AVS for buying a Bose

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #21 of 60 Old 12-30-2011, 08:18 AM
Advanced Member
 
frostylou's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Posts: 707
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Ok,,, final word on the Bose 1SR,, its a keeper !!!!

I pulled my 70" Sharp of the wall to access and my optical output from the Sharp to run the optical directly to the Bose bar,,, doing this did not change the sound from when I was running the optical directly from my HD cable box or my BluRay player,,, so I guess it dont really matter if you run the optical from the TV out or an opticla out on one of your components.

I gota say,, the Bose is sounding more and more better every time I play it, and the surround effect is really quite amazing now,,, the Bose is night and day difference from my first run-thru where I was not feeling it was that much better than my Sony CT-350.

A little more on the surround effect,,, it really does sound like I have speakers hanging all around the room and even a little bit in back of me as well,,, I would put this Bose up against a top end Yamaha YSP any day of the week (yes, I have owned a few YSP's).

Had a few friends come by last night to check out some movies and didnt tell them anything about the Bose,,,playing Avatar one friend was looking around the room for the speakers, he was tring to be sneaky about it as he is rather tech savy,,,, after a few minutes of lookng around he realized it was just the bar sitting on top of my Sharp panel putting out all the sound,,,, he was pretty shocked.

Another thing,, after doing the calibration there is no bad spot in my living room,,,, my whole room is the sweet spot.

Anyhow,,, hate to say it, but I have gone over to the dark side (Bose),, I know there might be some on here that are going to bust my balls for going Bose,,,, who knows there might be some really creative postings on this thread talking about the paper Bose makes their speakers out of,,, or some one really smart might make up some saying like "no highs, no lows, must be Blose",,,,,, ohhhh I can hardly wait to here all the crap from people that have never even heard the Bose bar.

I just hope I dont get kicked off AVS for buying a Bose

Cheers
Davyo

Enjoy it Davyo, it is a winner. The first time I heard the Bose Videowave tv I was utterly impressed. ( the price was rediculous). But when I found out they were going to use that same exact technology in a soundbar, I knew it was going to be really sweet. For most of the time., there have been only 2 technologies that at their best, when really well set up, and in a good room that I fell could actually put sound 'behind' you . The YSPs and that Mitsubushi Uninsen.
There are 3 for me. The Bose does. It really does.
frostylou is offline  
post #22 of 60 Old 12-30-2011, 08:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by frostylou View Post

Enjoy it Davyo, it is a winner. The first time I heard the Bose Videowave tv I was utterly impressed. ( the price was rediculous). But when I found out they were going to use that same exact technology in a soundbar, I knew it was going to be really sweet. For most of the time., there have been only 2 technologies that at their best, when really well set up, and in a good room that I fell could actually put sound 'behind' you . The YSPs and that Mitsubushi Uninsen.
There are 3 for me. The Bose does. It really does.

Thanks Frosty

Yep,, this Bose is really getting better day by day and Im getting quite addicted to the overall tone and sound,,, not to mention the surround effect is really off the hook !!!!!

As well, I can only think of the YSP's and the Unisen's as a direct comparison to the Bose,,, but the YSP's are a bit larger, dont look as cool and I really hate the YSP's menu and the remote,,,,,, LOVE the Unisens but that tiny 55 inch screen size is a major deal breaker for me,,,,,,,,,,there is allot to be said for the simplisity of the Bose.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #23 of 60 Old 12-30-2011, 10:43 PM
Newbie
 
Navnightingale's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey Davyo- feel like selling that 350 if you keep the 1SR? Lol.
Navnightingale is offline  
post #24 of 60 Old 12-31-2011, 03:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Navnightingale View Post

Hey Davyo- feel like selling that 350 if you keep the 1SR? Lol.

Yea,,, I have thought about if I will sell the CT-350 or not, even with keeping the Bose I still might want to hold on to the Sony,,, I will figure it out soon and let you know, if you really are interested.

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #25 of 60 Old 01-01-2012, 06:52 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 254
So finally a Bose speaker getting good reviews! Did that Bose soundbar have a subwoofer?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #26 of 60 Old 01-01-2012, 07:38 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

So finally a Bose speaker getting good reviews! Did that Bose soundbar have a subwoofer?

Yes,, wireless sub,, or as Bose calls it a bass module.



On a side note,, I have had several friends come over that are total audiofile nuts and they have the home theater rooms to back up that fact,,, anyhow,, even my anal audiofile friends have been very impressed with the 1SR and I have been quite shocked to hear that coming from those friends.

I guess not "all" audiofile's are snobs,,,,,,,, only most of them

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #27 of 60 Old 01-02-2012, 08:50 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 254
One thing is for sure...Bose sure doesn't want its consumer to know what is in the soundbar! Tried to find out, from the Bose web site, what the configuration of drivers was...it was like I was trying to get information from the IRS!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #28 of 60 Old 01-02-2012, 09:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member
 
davyo's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2001
Location: las vegas nevada
Posts: 4,303
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Elihawk View Post

One thing is for sure...Bose sure doesn't want its consumer to know what is in the soundbar! Tried to find out, from the Bose web site, what the configuration of drivers was...it was like I was trying to get information from the IRS!

Yep,,, agreed,, Bose does not like to publish any info about anything like that.

My love hate relationship with Bose and their pricing made me not want to like the 1SR soundbar,,,, but I hate to admit it,,, this thing sounds like I have a true surround system with speakers hanging on all my walls.

Sonicly this bar sounds amazing as well,,, sorry Bose bashers,, but its got great highs and lows and a really tight clean bass from the bass module.

My livng room is now a movie theater with the Bose bar and my 70" Sharp (soon to get the 80" or 90" Sharp)

Cheers
Davyo
davyo is offline  
post #29 of 60 Old 01-03-2012, 06:45 AM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 254
I have never been a Bose hater....my friend's 901s, in his Basement with proper placement, sound very good. However, I have owned a pair of Bose computer speakers and briefly, the Cinemate system...and they almost made my ears bleed. Absolutley brutal!

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
post #30 of 60 Old 01-03-2012, 08:43 PM
AVS Special Member
 
Elihawk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2011
Location: Iowa City, Iowa
Posts: 2,776
Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Tagged: 1 Thread(s)
Quoted: 196 Post(s)
Liked: 254
davyo...since Bose won't tell me anywhere that I can find...how many drivers does the soundbar have and of what size? In you opinion, what is the trick Bose uses to get decent surround sound (angled drivers, etc)?

Set up #1: EMP e5ti, e5Ci, and SLS Q line Audio surrounds, Outlaw LFM1 Plus sub, EMP 10i10i sub
Set up #2: Def Tech SM450, CLR2002, SLS Qline surrounds and Klipsch 12wD sub
Set up #3: JBL130, JBL120C and Klipsch synergy sub
Elihawk is online now  
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Bose Cinemate 1 Sr Digital Home Theater Speaker System , Sony Ht Ct350 Virtual 5 1 Sound Bar
Gear in this thread - Ct350 by PriceGrabber.com



Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off