Using Digital Audio Out to Sound Bar - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 2 Old 12-28-2011, 12:04 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
We received a sound bar for christmas that only has 2 RCA inputs. My LG LCD TV does not have the RCA outputs. In fact, the only audio output on the TV is the digital audio out. So, I have a few of questions...

I am assuming that digital audio out will mean that any sound coming from the TV will be forced to the sound bar. Is this correct?

If that is the case, will it also disable the TV speakers, so that only the sound bar is used?

And finally, if the above is correct, will I be able to control the volume with the TV remote rather than separately thorough the sound bar?

What I am thinking is that I can get a digital audio to RCA converter box and run it that way. But, I want to make sure that all sound from the TV will then run through the sound bar. I would rather not have to use a separate remote for volume if I can help it.

I know my other option is to set up the sound bar with audio out from my inputs, but we have more devices than the sound bar will support.

Thanks for any help you can provide!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 Old 12-28-2011, 12:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmcfalls View Post

We received a sound bar for christmas that only has 2 RCA inputs. My LG LCD TV does not have the RCA outputs. In fact, the only audio output on the TV is the digital audio out. So, I have a few of questions...

I am assuming that digital audio out will mean that any sound coming from the TV will be forced to the sound bar. Is this correct?

Your TV probably has an audio setting where you change the default speakers to external.

Quote:

If that is the case, will it also disable the TV speakers, so that only the sound bar is used?

The TV probably also has a setting to turn off TV speakers. If not, you can always turn volume down to zero.
Quote:

And finally, if the above is correct, will I be able to control the volume with the TV remote rather than separately thorough the sound bar?

Probably not as output level from optical is usually fixed level.

Quote:

What I am thinking is that I can get a digital audio to RCA converter box and run it that way. But, I want to make sure that all sound from the TV will then run through the sound bar. I would rather not have to use a separate remote for volume if I can help it.

A converter would seem to be your only option (other than returning the soundbar )

Quote:

I know my other option is to set up the sound bar with audio out from my inputs, but we have more devices than the sound bar will support.

Thanks for any help you can provide!

Reply Soundbars

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page