Sony Sound Bar and Time Warner Cable Box Questions...Please help - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-09-2012, 12:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Recently picked up a CT550W Sound Bar and I am attempting to connect it to my Sony 52XBR9 tv along with my Time Warner HD Box and Sony Blu Ray player. So far it has not been as seamless as I was expecting. Connections are HDMI from Cable Box and Blu Ray to Sound Bar receiver, and HDMI from receiver to TV.

My problems are with the volume and auto off/on of of the components. When I turn the tv on, it will turn on the sound bar, but the volume doesn't work properly. I get no volume numbers on my TV screen, just a volume +/- icon on the bottom left of the screen. So, when I adjust the volume, I can't see what I am adjusting to unless I look at the sound bar's receiver which is hard to see from where i sit.

Also, when I turn on the blu ray player, the sound bar and tv switch to the blu ray input, but when I turn the blu ray player off, the sound bar and tv stay on blu ray, and I have to manually switch both back to the TV input. Then, my TV's internal speakers turn back on until I go through the menu and manually change back to external.

Oh, and for reference, I have a neighbor with the same sound bar, but with directv. His system works flawlessly...when you turn on the tv, the sound bar turns on. When you adjust the volume, you see volume numbers on the TV, and when you turn on/off the blu ray, the sound bar reacts accordingly and switches between components automatically. I brought his sound bar to my house to see if mine was defective, and his works the same way mine does on my tv, so I know it is not a defective sound bar.

I know this is confusing, but I am hoping someone with a similar set-up may be able to help. Thanks!!