Soundbar Shopping - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 8 Old 01-16-2012, 08:27 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey all
I am in the market for a Sound bar. I have a decent 7.1 surround system now but looking for just an everyday bar to enhance the audio from my LG (55LW6500). I came across a new bar on the weekend and am asking if anybody has seen or heard of this piece. It is a Haier SBEV40-Slim. The store did not have the unit hooked up so was unable to audition.
I cannot find a single review on this product. As of now am leaning towards the Yamaha YAS101 but this unit is on sale for $228.00. I am in Canada so some of the recommended bars are not available to me. Any info is greatly appreciated. Cannot post links yet so one can find this on Haier site.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 Old 01-18-2012, 09:56 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by cevet View Post

Hey all
I am in the market for a Sound bar. I have a decent 7.1 surround system now but looking for just an everyday bar to enhance the audio from my LG (55LW6500). I came across a new bar on the weekend and am asking if anybody has seen or heard of this piece. It is a Haier SBEV40-Slim. The store did not have the unit hooked up so was unable to audition.
I cannot find a single review on this product. As of now am leaning towards the Yamaha YAS101 but this unit is on sale for $228.00. I am in Canada so some of the recommended bars are not available to me. Any info is greatly appreciated. Cannot post links yet so one can find this on Haier site.

Just as a follow up, since no replies yet, this is the link to the Haier bar

http://www.haieramerica.com/electron...ar-sbev40-slim

The store that has the unit has a terrible return policy,ie, 7 days and in store credit only. They do not have anything else I am interested in the store so I ask again any input? Even a heads up on the Haier quality.
post #3 of 8 Old 01-21-2012, 11:43 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just as a follow up, since no replies yet, this is the link to the Haier bar

http://www.haieramerica.com/electron...ar-sbev40-slim

The store that has the unit has a terrible return policy,ie, 7 days and in store credit only. They do not have anything else I am interested in the store so I ask again any input? Even a heads up on the Haier quality.

Just as a follow up, I finally did get to audition the Haier bar and was very disappointed. I know it was in a showroom but the audio hooked up to a Haier blu ray player was tinny and very lacking.. The bar goes to 25 for volume and the salesman had to put it to 20 just to get a decent level of sound. I dismissed that option and went to Costco, Canada and bought the Vizio VSB200. I purchased based on the amount of good reviews on this forum since they had just came in and did not have any set up. I am not disappointed but I think it is crying for a sub so that will be my next venture.
post #4 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 08:36 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Just as a follow up, I finally did get to audition the Haier bar and was very disappointed. I know it was in a showroom but the audio hooked up to a Haier blu ray player was tinny and very lacking.. The bar goes to 25 for volume and the salesman had to put it to 20 just to get a decent level of sound. I dismissed that option and went to Costco, Canada and bought the Vizio VSB200. I purchased based on the amount of good reviews on this forum since they had just came in and did not have any set up. I am not disappointed but I think it is crying for a sub so that will be my next venture.

Well looks like I am in another quandary. The VSB200 cannot play from the OTA(antenna) broadcasts which are in DD on my LG display.. We do have satellite but often watch some local channels from the antenna all of which are in DD. So am I correct that I need a sound bar with DD decoder and if so any recommendations? The VHT215 would be perfect but not available to us Canadians. I have auditioned the Yamaha YAS101 which was OK but in dire need of a sub as I heard both with and without and at $300.00 plus small sub with our beloved tax system (choke!!) makes the system about $500.00 or more. Trying to stay on budget of $300.00 if possible. Look forward to hearing any recommendations from the knowledgeable people on this forum.
post #5 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 09:11 AM

I just added a Yamaha YST SW 216 sub to my 101 and at $89+ dollarsfrom Vann's plus free shipping was a worthwhile addition.
post #6 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 09:31 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gened45 View Post

I just added a Yamaha YST SW 216 sub to my 101 and at $89+ dollarsfrom Vann's plus free shipping was a worthwhile addition.

Thank you for the reply. That same set up (216+101) would run me more than $450.00, being in Canada. I have looked at that setup but a little over my budget. The 101 alone is $299.99 + 13% + environmental fee about $1.50 =>$340.00. So you see what I mean?
post #7 of 8 Old 01-23-2012, 12:28 PM

Yikes!!
post #8 of 8 Old 02-05-2012, 09:29 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well looks like I am in another quandary. The VSB200 cannot play from the OTA(antenna) broadcasts which are in DD on my LG display.. We do have satellite but often watch some local channels from the antenna all of which are in DD. So am I correct that I need a sound bar with DD decoder and if so any recommendations? The VHT215 would be perfect but not available to us Canadians. I have auditioned the Yamaha YAS101 which was OK but in dire need of a sub as I heard both with and without and at $300.00 plus small sub with our beloved tax system (choke!!) makes the system about $500.00 or more. Trying to stay on budget of $300.00 if possible. Look forward to hearing any recommendations from the knowledgeable people on this forum.

Well I took back the Vizio VSB200 and bought the Polk 4000. Got it home and the sound was terrible. Have taken the Polk back and purchased the Boston Acoustics TVee 25. I couldn't be happier. Not much attention given this one here but I also auditioned the step up TVee 30. For what I needed the TVee 25 fit the bill. Crisp clear and the sub rocks. What else can a person ask for and yes the TVee 25 was on sale for $279.00 Canadian @ BB.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Lg Infinia 55lw6500 Hdtv , Yamaha Yas 101bl Front Surround System Piano Black
Gear in this thread

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page