Yamaha YHT-S400 vs. Energy Elite powerbar - opinions welcome - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-19-2012, 01:53 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I know, this is a little like comparing apples to oranges, but I have kinda narrowed my soundbar search down to these 2 and looking for some opinions as well as feedback on my 'perceived' pros/cons list. I did consider and listen (in store) some others, and have been in research mode for some time, but just learned that my local store has 20% the msrp/common online prices thru Sat, so may have to push myself to make a decision... If it helps, my TV is new LG 55lw5600, only dabbling in 3D so far, but may do more in the futre as more 3d Blu-rays come out.

Part of my confusion is trying to decide between the Energy's bar with the amp, etc... built into the bar and not having to run speaker wires at all. Nice clean installation but are you giving up something compared to the Yamaha's receiver/amp unit? Seems like you are getting better quality speaker components and sub with the Energy system, but relying on whatever am is built into that small bar...vs. better quality amp and HDMI switching with the Yamaha but one-way, less capable/accurate speakers in the bar. Am I looking at it the right way? Here are some pros/cons as I see them...

Yamaha YHT S400
Pros:
+Dedicated / sep receiver unit with FM, may not use much but nice to have.
+HDMI switching to only have one HDMI to run to wall mounted TV.
+No floor sub to worry about where to put
+3.1 rather than 2.1
+No lights on bar to possibly distract in dark room
+No power supply running to main bar, just speaker wire.
+Video, music, etc choice
+Price, similar to smaller Energy and $170 less than the larger Elite model
Cons:
-Questionable bass output from the combo unit, althou sounded better than expected in store even in large open environment.
-Bar is smaller than I would like at 31" wide, will look shrimpy under my 55" LG led TV?

Energy Elite Powerbar with wireless sub
Pros:
+Klipsch parent company, speaker components are from a speaker company, not electronics company
+True 2-way setup with mid-woofers
+Larger bar size at 40" to look better under the TV
+Wireless 10"sub, can only assume will make a difference with 3d blu-rays
Cons:
-No HDMI switching, must use optical from TV
-2.1 rather than 3.1, although not sure I'll miss the center speaker
-Pricey, even with 20% off it's $170 more than the Yamaha
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-20-2012, 07:37 AM - Thread Starter

No one has first hand experience with the Energy powerbar Elite model? maybe I'll be the first...I just realized my local store has 12 mos no interest if I purchase over $400 only. Kinda dumb rationale I know, but in my mind helps justify the extra $$ over the yamaha if in fact it sounds better, more accurate. Guess I could get both and return one also, but that sounds like work...

Feel free to chime in on the issue of HDMI switching or Optical out from TV... thx.
post #3 of 6 Old 04-08-2012, 03:46 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by gandjphillips View Post

No one has first hand experience with the Energy powerbar Elite model? maybe I'll be the first...I just realized my local store has 12 mos no interest if I purchase over $400 only. Kinda dumb rationale I know, but in my mind helps justify the extra $$ over the yamaha if in fact it sounds better, more accurate. Guess I could get both and return one also, but that sounds like work...

Feel free to chime in on the issue of HDMI switching or Optical out from TV... thx.

Hey,

Did you ever buy it? I just stumbled across this thread...I am interested but there are not enough reviews.

Nick
post #4 of 6 Old 05-10-2012, 01:19 PM

Well,
I got mine a few days ago. I took my my Yamaha YAS 101. Here are my thoughts on both compared.
Yamaha:
Very nice. surprisingly clean sound out of such a small unit. sometimes performed flawlessly.... ie sometimes had spots where didn't have base (not surprised) and sometimes had amazing bass.
compared to my un55es8000 samsung led tv speakers, was a godsend. definitely made things (and voices) more clear. loved the univolume feature to keep channels same volume... clear voice worked well also.

then out of curiosity, and the fact i wanted more bass, i looked for Klipsch speakers. always a fan of both yamaha and Klipsch, and had full 5.1 $2200 Klipsch home theater speaker set in the past....with 12" klipsch sub.

Let me tell you. The Powerbar elite was surprisingly amazing. WOW. depth and variation was great. the range was great. WOW. the bass was very nice and rumbly when needed. that speaker comibination seriously fills my room. the highs are so nice, and the lows really great and blend well. no need to shake my house, but it was there and much deeper than i expected. perfect blend. Klipsch has always astounded me with the horn tweeters, and this product although "Energy" is amazing. i won't be sending this set back. sent my Yamaha set back.
I find it hard to believe the sound is so strong for such a setup. and I haven't even tried the 3D mode yet...which bends the sound around the room more. my ears prefer clarity...and nice clean highs, with a descent rumble.
I would have expected a setup like this to cost $1000. and my samsung remote didn't even need to be reprogrammed or trained. right out of the box volume up/down etc. worked using my TV remote.
speakers look nice and elegant. not quite the look of elegance of the yamaha, but nice.
My room is roughly 20 x30 or so. super pleased. great job ENERGY. back to the store you go Yamaha (i know, not apples to apples). (although I wondered how the yamaha would sound with additional sub). still can't imagine the blending was as nice nor power output.
post #5 of 6 Old 05-10-2012, 02:24 PM

I enjoyed listening to music so much on the Yamaha YHT-S400 that I'm now using the soundbar on my computer. Music sounds fantastic when played from CDs or properly encoded digital files. It was no longer acceptable to hear music on computer speakers after hearing it on the S400.

I had no issue with bass on the S400 and it is surprisingly strong. My room rumbled, with no rattling, during action scenes in movies. I also have an LG 55" TV and the soundbar looked fine next to the TV. I've replaced my TV soundbar with a YSP-2200 because I'm sold on the Yamaha brand providing performance and value.
post #6 of 6 Old 06-07-2012, 06:16 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by bbilt View Post

Well,

I got mine a few days ago. I took my my Yamaha YAS 101. Here are my thoughts on both compared.

Yamaha:

Very nice. surprisingly clean sound out of such a small unit. sometimes performed flawlessly.... ie sometimes had spots where didn't have base (not surprised) and sometimes had amazing bass.

compared to my un55es8000 samsung led tv speakers, was a godsend. definitely made things (and voices) more clear. loved the univolume feature to keep channels same volume... clear voice worked well also.

then out of curiosity, and the fact i wanted more bass, i looked for Klipsch speakers. always a fan of both yamaha and Klipsch, and had full 5.1 $2200 Klipsch home theater speaker set in the past....with 12" klipsch sub.

Let me tell you. The Powerbar elite was surprisingly amazing. WOW. depth and variation was great. the range was great. WOW. the bass was very nice and rumbly when needed. that speaker comibination seriously fills my room. the highs are so nice, and the lows really great and blend well. no need to shake my house, but it was there and much deeper than i expected. perfect blend. Klipsch has always astounded me with the horn tweeters, and this product although "Energy" is amazing. i won't be sending this set back. sent my Yamaha set back.

I find it hard to believe the sound is so strong for such a setup. and I haven't even tried the 3D mode yet...which bends the sound around the room more. my ears prefer clarity...and nice clean highs, with a descent rumble.

I would have expected a setup like this to cost $1000. and my samsung remote didn't even need to be reprogrammed or trained. right out of the box volume up/down etc. worked using my TV remote.

speakers look nice and elegant. not quite the look of elegance of the yamaha, but nice.

My room is roughly 20 x30 or so. super pleased. great job ENERGY. back to the store you go Yamaha (i know, not apples to apples). (although I wondered how the yamaha would sound with additional sub). still can't imagine the blending was as nice nor power output.

So I am assuming you still own and "love" it? I currently am demo'ing the HK SB 30. Liking it not loving it...sounds great but not room filling sound. Trying to see if there is a setting on my BR player that is limiting the volume...want the ability to rattle the walls and piss off my wife. Love her dearly but love to be told to turn it down. How is the 3D mode? Surround on the HK is great but...volume is limiting factor.

Thanks

Nick
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Yht S400bl Home Theater System
Gear in this thread - S400bl by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page