Pictures: Bose 1SR soundbar with my 80" Sharp - AVS Forum

AVS Forum > Audio > Soundbars > Pictures: Bose 1SR soundbar with my 80" Sharp

Soundbars

davyo's Avatar davyo
04:21 AM Liked: 11
post #1 of 20
01-30-2012 | Posts: 4,303
Did the upgrade/upsize from my 70" Sharp to the 80" Sharp so thought I would post some pictures of the install of the Bose 1SR soundbar and the new 80" Sharp,,,, the Sharp is so new I havent even taken the plastic wrap of the bezel yet

Anyhow,,, this is a KILLER combination,,, 80 inche's of viewing bliss with the Bose soundbar continuing to blow me away,,,,, the Bose really does sound like I have speakers hanging all over the room.

For those that hate Bose ya really need to hear this thing,,,, I typically stay away from Bose myself,, but after hearing the demo at my local Fry's I had to buy one,,,,, just dont listen to the Bose soundbar demo at a Bose store,, I have no idea what Bose is thinking but they actually make their own soundbar sound like crap in their in-store demo,,, had I only heard the Bose soundbar at the Bose store I would not have even considered buying it,,, the Frys demo was what sold me.

I have my BD and my Cox HD DVR box hooked up to my Sharp via HDMI with the optical out from my Sharp going to the Bose,,,,, in the very near future I will test the Bose hooked up directly to my BD player and HD box to see if it makes a difference.

As it is right now using the optical out from my Sharp the Bose is only getting a 2.1 audio feed from the Sharps optical ouput, so I do wonder if I will get a boost in sound quality sending the Bose a true 5.1 signal from my sources,,,, but I gota say,, even with the 2.1 optical feed the Bose is currently getting it sounds pretty amazing.

My room is filled with what sounds like a true full on surround system,,,,, anyhow,, the Bose really does sound amazing !!!!!

I installed a small floating shelf under the Sharp to put the Bose bar onto,, a nice clean stealth install I think.

Too the left of the Sharp hanging on the wall is an old school TV swivel wall mount (spray painted it flat black), I use it as a wall mount for my HD DVR box and my BD player,,, works great for getting to the back of the components, just turn it around for easy access to all my connections.

Cheers
Davyo

CHAVAN30's Avatar CHAVAN30
07:54 AM Liked: 10
post #2 of 20
01-30-2012 | Posts: 631
nice. looks good. the soundbar and sub look tiny next to that tv! good work.
i am impressed with the bose also.
kilgore777's Avatar kilgore777
10:53 AM Liked: 11
post #3 of 20
01-30-2012 | Posts: 58
Wow, nice!

Just some questions. Do you own any furniture? If I come to your house, will I have to sit on a soundbar? I know you have plenty of those. Is there anything besides ketchup in your fridge?

Sorry for harrassing you.... I couldn't resist! Seriously though, I would love to check out that bose....
Chicagorep's Avatar Chicagorep
01:11 PM Liked: 10
post #4 of 20
01-30-2012 | Posts: 972
Davyo, Are you aware that there is a wall mount kit for the 1SR?
davyo's Avatar davyo
02:45 PM Liked: 11
post #5 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by CHAVAN30 View Post

nice. looks good. the soundbar and sub look tiny next to that tv! good work.
i am impressed with the bose also.

Thanks,,,, yep, this soundbar is great "for a Bose"

Quote:
Originally Posted by kilgore777 View Post

Wow, nice!

Just some questions. Do you own any furniture? If I come to your house, will I have to sit on a soundbar? I know you have plenty of those. Is there anything besides ketchup in your fridge?

Sorry for harrassing you.... I couldn't resist! Seriously though, I would love to check out that bose....

Funny stuff,,, and not far off,,,, I am a total minimalist with everything in my house,,, very little furniture, only ketchup and Coke in the fridge,, I do have a spare room to keep all the past soundbars (that room is filled, looks like an episod from the show Horders)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

Davyo, Are you aware that there is a wall mount kit for the 1SR?

Yep,,, I did not want to use the Bose wall mount or pay 50 bucks for it either,,,, since my room is less than perfect for a soundbar (missing some side wall area's) I wanted to lay the Bose flat to reflect sound off the ceiling more, also my 80 incher is so big if I wall mounted above the TV the bar would be up very high and in my mind not able to reflect as much sound off the ceiling,,, also, I like to have easy access to my connections, sitting on the shelf makes it real easy to get to the connections on the Bose.

Ohhhh,, and the shelf was only $14.00 from Home Depot vs $50.00 for the Bose wall mount.

Also,,, the Bose person told me the wall mount will not mount on your wall, it mounts to the back of your panel only,,, not sure if he knew what he was talking about but if that was the case I would have had to take down my 80 incher, put the Bose mounts on the back or my 80 incher and then rehang it,,, that would have been a huge pain in the ass to deal with.

Cheers
Davyo
05:17 PM Liked: 10
post #6 of 20
01-30-2012 | Posts: 972
Your Bose person was wrong, it's designed to mount on the wall.
davyo's Avatar davyo
09:38 PM Liked: 11
post #7 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicagorep View Post

Your Bose person was wrong, it's designed to mount on the wall.

Yea,, I figured,,,,,,, frankly Im kinda amazed at how the people working at the Bose stores cannot answer some of the most basic of questions about the products they sell in the Bose store.

I thought the Bose store employee's had to have at least some kind of training before they are let out into the wild but such is not the case,,,, In almost every visit to a Bose store I would ask about something on a Bose product only to have the Bose person tell me I was wrong, I would then tell the Bose employee that its listed in the manual,,,, they would then pull up the manual and say, Ohh yea, you right, it does do that, or it does have that connection or what ever the question I had was.

Note to Bose: train the people working in your own stores

Cheers
Davyo
davyo's Avatar davyo
01:14 AM Liked: 11
post #8 of 20
01-31-2012 | Posts: 4,303
A Bose 1SR up-date,,,, I went ahead and connected my BluRay via optical and HD DVR via digital coax with not using the optical out from my Sharp 80" panel (my Sharp is only out-putting 2.1 via the optical out)

The results: BIG jump in sound quality hooking my BD player directly to the Bose bar,,,, and when I say BIG jump in sound I mean HUGE !!!!!

The surround sound and the overall sound and tone took a giant leep in quality doing the direct hook-up,,,,, WOW !!!!!!!,,,,, (night and day difference), the Bose went from sounding like a really good 5.1 system to now sounding like a really great 7.1 system.

I highly recomend hooking the 1SR directly to your BD player via optical or digital coax.

As far as hooking the Bose directly to my HD DVR box via digital coax,, it does sound better but not as much as a jump in sound quality as the BD player hook-up.

The only problem/pain in the ass,,, is you have to turn off the Bose when changing between the BD or the HD box,,,, the Bose searchs for the best audio connection and unless to turn off the Bose for a moment it gets confussed on which input to use.

Anyhow,,,, just thought I would pass that up-date along.

Cheers
Davyo
12:00 PM Liked: 10
post #9 of 20
01-31-2012 | Posts: 972
Well if your going to go through all that trouble you should have bought the LS 135
pauly_b's Avatar pauly_b
02:45 PM Liked: 10
post #10 of 20
02-15-2012 | Posts: 3
Here are some pictures of my set up. Currently I am still trying to figure out how to work the sound bar. I am thinking my room may not be the correct lay out for a soundbar configuration....it always sounds like the sound is coming from the speaker and rarely gives me the surround experience I am looking for out of a 1500 dollar device. When I try to play the sound out of my PS3 it will not work by hooking it into a AUX port because it can only send audio signal out of one port (optical, or HDMI not both) so it wont play any audio unless i play it through the hdmi through the tv and back to the soundbar. So I guess I will be investing in a blueray player to see if it will help at all.
LL
davyo's Avatar davyo
08:48 PM Liked: 11
post #11 of 20
02-15-2012 | Posts: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly_b View Post

Here are some pictures of my set up. Currently I am still trying to figure out how to work the sound bar. I am thinking my room may not be the correct lay out for a soundbar configuration....it always sounds like the sound is coming from the speaker and rarely gives me the surround experience I am looking for out of a 1500 dollar device. When I try to play the sound out of my PS3 it will not work by hooking it into a AUX port because it can only send audio signal out of one port (optical, or HDMI not both) so it wont play any audio unless i play it through the hdmi through the tv and back to the soundbar. So I guess I will be investing in a blueray player to see if it will help at all.

Im guessin you have the Bose bar,, your post did not say, only a picture in which it is hard to tell if it is the Bose bar or not.

If it is the Bose bar,, the correct connection would be PS3 HDMI into your panel, then optical out from your panel to the Bose main optical, then PS3 optical out to the AUX optical input of the Bose.

Cheers
Davyo
pauly_b's Avatar pauly_b
08:55 PM Liked: 10
post #12 of 20
02-15-2012 | Posts: 3
I'm sorry, yes it is the Bose bar, with the wall mount, and I had the PS3 connected the way you describe and it no sound came from the bose bar. The PS3 will only allow audio to come from one source (i.e. either the HDMI or the Optical out) so when I select for the optical out no noise goes to the tv, so the bose doesn't recognize the audio trying to come to the AUX optical in because nothing is coming out of the optical out from the tv. Does that make sense? So basically for the sound to come from my PS3 I have to remove the optical out from the tv and plug it directly into the PS3 so the PS3 is actually hooked up to the Bose TV optical input, which turns out to be a huge pain in the ass....So what I am going to do is just by a standalone blueray player and hook it up like you described. I dont imagine playing too many games on the 80 inch tv any ways....
davyo's Avatar davyo
09:02 AM Liked: 11
post #13 of 20
02-16-2012 | Posts: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by pauly_b View Post

I'm sorry, yes it is the Bose bar, with the wall mount, and I had the PS3 connected the way you describe and it no sound came from the bose bar. The PS3 will only allow audio to come from one source (i.e. either the HDMI or the Optical out) so when I select for the optical out no noise goes to the tv, so the bose doesn't recognize the audio trying to come to the AUX optical in because nothing is coming out of the optical out from the tv. Does that make sense? So basically for the sound to come from my PS3 I have to remove the optical out from the tv and plug it directly into the PS3 so the PS3 is actually hooked up to the Bose TV optical input, which turns out to be a huge pain in the ass....So what I am going to do is just by a standalone blueray player and hook it up like you described. I dont imagine playing too many games on the 80 inch tv any ways....

Ahhhh,,, that sucks that your PS3 will not allow both audio feeds,,,I did not know that.

With my Samsung BD-D5700 player when I set the audio to optical multi-channel out the HDMI defaults to a stereo send,,,,, if your looking for a BD player I would highly recomend the Samsung,,,, its on sale at BB for real cheap to

Cheers
Davyo
Kinalyx's Avatar Kinalyx
10:10 AM Liked: 10
post #14 of 20
02-16-2012 | Posts: 51
Connect your PS3 the way Davyo said above, then go into your PS3 settings

To output audio from the TV, switch the setting to [HDMI], or select (Settings) > (Sound Settings) > [Audio Multi-Output] and set the option to [On].

Set the main output thru optical, then the HDMI will be slightly downscaled, but who cares, the only purpose of the audio thru HDMI is to tell the bose which input to use. Since your TV is only passing 2.1 to the bar(presumably) the Bose will automatically switch to the optical from the PS3 when the PS3 is on.

Shawn
davyo's Avatar davyo
10:51 AM Liked: 11
post #15 of 20
02-16-2012 | Posts: 4,303
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinalyx View Post

Connect your PS3 the way Davyo said above, then go into your PS3 settings

To output audio from the TV, switch the setting to [HDMI], or select (Settings) > (Sound Settings) > [Audio Multi-Output] and set the option to [On].

Set the main output thru optical, then the HDMI will be slightly downscaled, but who cares, the only purpose of the audio thru HDMI is to tell the bose which input to use. Since your TV is only passing 2.1 to the bar(presumably) the Bose will automatically switch to the optical from the PS3 when the PS3 is on.

Shawn

Not sure if that will work,, if the PS3 will ONLY pass audio via HDMI or optical, but not both, then the TV will not get the audio via the HDMI input and not be able to pass any audio to the Bose via the TV optical out,,, the Bose bar "needs" to read and see both the main optical and the AUX optical at the same time or it will not hunt and choose the AUX optical feed.

Cheers
Davyo
joellong's Avatar joellong
10:38 AM Liked: 10
post #16 of 20
04-10-2013 | Posts: 1
hello I just purchase the 70" sharp and the bose sound bar

My basement will be complete in 1 week

can you tell me if I am correct

I have my HDMI coming from my blue ray player and my HD cable box going to my TV then 1 coaxial to the sound bar

Is that how you did yours ?
vizbar's Avatar vizbar
09:29 AM Liked: 14
post #17 of 20
04-12-2013 | Posts: 90
@ Davyo -- Is the Bose 1SR currently at the top of your sound bar list (quite pricy at $1500)?

Or do you have any others you would recommend as alternatives to Sony HT-CT350 and JVC TH-BA1, which are hard to find these days?

Thanks for all your reviews and posts regarding sound bars, you help everyone with your informative posts.
Jordan1126's Avatar Jordan1126
09:58 AM Liked: 10
post #18 of 20
07-31-2013 | Posts: 33
im just wondering, is there any way to connect 2 devices via optical. can you connect 1 device directly to the tv input optical and another to the aux input optical?

Also i think my LG smart tv outputs 5.1DD through optical, so maybe i should just run my BD player directly to the aux optical and then the DVR to the tv and out through that way?

thoughts??
Jordan1126's Avatar Jordan1126
06:51 PM Liked: 10
post #19 of 20
07-31-2013 | Posts: 33
I tried and apparently you have to have the tv connected directly. Kind of sucks that I want to send two devices (DVR and blu ray player) but the aux only allows one optic connection. It does allow a coax connection though, does anyone know what the quality difference between coax and optic is
JOKERacing's Avatar JOKERacing
11:42 AM Liked: 10
post #20 of 20
09-26-2013 | Posts: 1

I just purchased this unit but thinking of taking it back. Its not that it doesnt sound good its just that my listening position is not suited for it. My TV is mounted on a mantle about 5 FT up and the speaker is sitting back against the mantle. I really dont hear any separation because I am sitting so far down. When I am standing up it sounds phenomenol but thats not my usual viewing method. Thinking I will just maybe go with a Sony CT660 1/3 the cost and decent sound from reviews.

I might give it one more shot though. Would you recommed mounting it above the tv upside down on the ceiling??

Thanks for any suggestions. Really want to keep it.

Tags: Bose Cinemate 1 Sr Digital Home Theater Speaker System , Samsung Bd D5700 Blu Ray Disc Player Black , Sony Ht Ct350 Virtual 5 1 Sound Bar , Sony Ht Ct660 46 Inch Sound Bar With Wireless Subwoofer
Gear in this thread - D5700 by PriceGrabber.com
Reply Soundbars

Subscribe to this Thread