Jvc th-bc3 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 01-30-2012, 03:06 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Good afternoon folks,

I'm new to the forum although i've been lurking for a few months. I purchased the JVC BC3 last week and i'm pretty pleased. Not quite as good as my 5.1 obviously but the surround gives a pretty convincing front soundstage. My problem is with connecting my subwoofer. I can't seem to get any sound to the subwoofer from the pre-out. I've search around the internet and found that several people have had this problem, but no solutions. Seems like folks just took it back and went with something else.

Anyone have any experience with this or any suggestions? I'm a tinkerer by nature, so i'm willing to try anything. Thanks in advance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-09-2012, 12:27 PM - Thread Starter

Well, all of a sudden, it works! The sub is working and takes the overall sound of the soundbar to the next level! Nice full bottom end makes this a great buy for me. Although it's loud, the sound is focused in the living room. Before, my wife would be telling me to turn the TV down all the time to the point where I could barely enjoy it. Now I can listen at a good level, even with the sub doing what it's doing, and she's not complaining. Excited!
Old 02-09-2012, 09:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall Reeves View Post

Well, all of a sudden, it works! The sub is working and takes the overall sound of the soundbar to the next level! Nice full bottom end makes this a great buy for me. Although it's loud, the sound is focused in the living room. Before, my wife would be telling me to turn the TV down all the time to the point where I could barely enjoy it. Now I can listen at a good level, even with the sub doing what it's doing, and she's not complaining. Excited!

How did you get this to work please????? I have the BC3 and Polk PSW505, but the sub barely rattles --working but very, very little bass effect.

Soundbar is connected to DVD player via HDMI. Soundbar is connect to sub with a single RCA cable and a Y cable connecting L and R to the sub.

I'd like to know your sub and soundbar settings.

I'm about to test my sub with my neighbor's receiver.

Thank you!
Old 02-10-2012, 06:35 AM - Thread Starter

I did absolutely nothing, just started working. That being said, the sub isn't thumping, it's just giving me a nice bottom, kinda filling out the sound. The bar by itself is missing the full range and the sub gives it that. It does seem that it should be some type of way to adjust the level of the subwoofer output through the bar. I'll keep tinkering to see if I find something.

How does the little bit of sound you have coming from your sub actually affect the sound quality?
Old 02-10-2012, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendall Reeves View Post

I did absolutely nothing, just started working. That being said, the sub isn't thumping, it's just giving me a nice bottom, kinda filling out the sound. The bar by itself is missing the full range and the sub gives it that. It does seem that it should be some type of way to adjust the level of the subwoofer output through the bar. I'll keep tinkering to see if I find something.

How does the little bit of sound you have coming from your sub actually affect the sound quality?

hard to tell the amount of sub bass as I didn't spent much time with it -- not much free time with 2 young kids by myself after work. I just did the connection and turn everything on and gave up after only adjusting the volume of the bar and sub. And the cone only has small vibrations.

So, yes, I assumed everything should be "plug and play".
Old 02-21-2012, 02:09 PM

Bumping this thread as I am experiencing issues with the sub not working with this soundbar.

I'm running optical into a Logitech Revue and HDMIs from a PS3 and Xbox. The sub is a Velodyne Impact Mini connected to the bar via the sub pre-out to a Y-cable into the sub.

It's worked a couple of times but has just stopped for no reason. Even when working, it wasn't providing a powerful signal. The sub's auto-on function does not work, implying the signal being sent is not strong enough. If I unplug the stereo cable to the sub, I get the loud hum you get when plugging in the cable but nothing once it is plugged in all of the way.

Very frustrating as I bought this because of the 3-D pass-through, the 2 HDMI inputs and the sub pre-out since I already owned the sub. I'd be happy with the low signal at least as it would fill the sound out and I'm in a studio as it is.

Any help is appreciated!
Old 02-21-2012, 02:36 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynn17 View Post

Bumping this thread as I am experiencing issues with the sub not working with this soundbar.

I'm running optical into a Logitech Revue and HDMIs from a PS3 and Xbox. The sub is a Velodyne Impact Mini connected to the bar via the sub pre-out to a Y-cable into the sub.

It's worked a couple of times but has just stopped for no reason. Even when working, it wasn't providing a powerful signal. The sub's auto-on function does not work, implying the signal being sent is not strong enough. If I unplug the stereo cable to the sub, I get the loud hum you get when plugging in the cable but nothing once it is plugged in all of the way.

Very frustrating as I bought this because of the 3-D pass-through, the 2 HDMI inputs and the sub pre-out since I already owned the sub. I'd be happy with the low signal at least as it would fill the sound out and I'm in a studio as it is.

Any help is appreciated!

I can definitely understand your frustration. Since I started this thread, my sub has consistently worked. I too keep my sub on Auto-On and it powers up every time. I called JVC to see if it was an inherent problem with their unit, which clearly it is, but they weren't helpful.

It would seem that there should be some way to adjust the sub level through the soundbar, but I haven't figured it out yet. I'd be interested to know who here actually has this particular soundbar. I know the BA1 was very popular here.
Old 02-29-2012, 11:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dlynn17 View Post

Any help is appreciated!

I had problems with the sub not working at first, too. But everything seems to be working now. I set my sub crossover all the way.

Your connections are right. If possible, test the soundbar with another sub, and test the sub with a receiver. Hopefully, you'll find the fault somewhere and get a replacement/repair.

Also, which output signal was working? PS3, Xbox? Logitech? All? I don't have these systems--and this is a wild guess--- but did you check if they're set to output the ".1" channel?

But as I said earlier, soundbars (any model) should be relatively simple devices. Just plug/connect and play. Few adjustments should be needed. The sub out signal should be there. A lot of people had good experiences with the Vizio VSB200 but I wanted better connectivity and features and only paid a little more for the BC3.
Old 02-29-2012, 02:37 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by fattyboi View Post

Also, which output signal was working? PS3, Xbox? Logitech? All? I don't have these systems--and this is a wild guess--- but did you check if they're set to output the ".1" channel?

That shouldn't matter because the BC3 doesn't decode Dolby or DTS. It's a two channel bar with SRS StudioSound HD. There is no .1 signal. The sub should pick up whatever signal that the soundbar is putting out at the sub pre-out. This thing is the darndest piece of equipment.