Soundbar with or without an AV Receiver? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 12 Old 02-02-2012, 11:05 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Another thought/question I had is whether there are worthwhile benefits of having an AV Receiver as part of the soundbar setup, i.e. getting a soundbar that requires the receiver. I know it adds cost and work, but: (1) are those types of soundbars "generally" better performing or higher quality than the powered soundbars (I know it greatly depends on the particular product, but with otherwise similarly priced and spec'ed units), and (2) will the Receiver also provide other benefits (like having only 1 longer HDMI cable running to the TV rather than multiple cables for each component - STB, Blu-ray and game console) that are worth the investment. Thanks again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 Old 02-10-2012, 06:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sowelldr View Post

Another thought/question I had is whether there are worthwhile benefits of having an AV Receiver as part of the soundbar setup, i.e. getting a soundbar that requires the receiver. I know it adds cost and work, but: (1) are those types of soundbars "generally" better performing or higher quality than the powered soundbars (I know it greatly depends on the particular product, but with otherwise similarly priced and spec'ed units), and (2) will the Receiver also provide other benefits (like having only 1 longer HDMI cable running to the TV rather than multiple cables for each component - STB, Blu-ray and game console) that are worth the investment. Thanks again!

I'm looking for opinion's on this question as well.
post #3 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 07:45 AM

colour me curious too.
post #4 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 10:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 18
You get more options if you get a sound-bar with an A/V receiver. You can a blow the doors off A/V receiver, sound-bar, and subwoofer setup for $700.
post #5 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 12:28 PM

I have an older Yamaha amp that I really like.
And I want to add a soundbar to it so I am also looking for options for a passive sound bar.

Its either that or I just get the Sony ct150 and be done with it.
post #6 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 12:35 PM
AVS Special Member

This is where I got my $700 out the door number. I have the sound bar and subwoofer listed here and I can't imagine there is a better combo out there and the price is great.

BIC Formula FH56-BAR $260 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=303-442

BIC Formula F-12 $215 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=303-436

Pioneer VSX-821-K $225 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...annel_A_V.html
post #7 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 12:37 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big kahuna 15 View Post

Its either that or I just get the Sony ct150 and be done with it.

This is what I have in my living room and it's basically TV speakers with a marginal subwoofer, I understand why people like it but it's really only a minor upgrade.
post #8 of 12 Old 03-11-2012, 08:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Droid6 View Post

This is where I got my $700 out the door number. I have the sound bar and subwoofer listed here and I can't imagine there is a better combo out there and the price is great.

BIC Formula FH56-BAR $260 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=303-442

BIC Formula F-12 $215 http://www.parts-express.com/pe/show...number=303-436

Pioneer VSX-821-K $225 http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produc...annel_A_V.html

I have been wrestling with this the past few days. on the one hand i thought of just getting an active soundbar and pair it with the subwoofer. but it seemed like the best of the lot was the Yamaha YAS 101 (and there are many good 2 to 3 hundred dollar subs out there) but it has limited connections. The better passive soundbars are in the 700 to 1000 or more range but then you need a sub and a receiver which pushes the cost higher than i want to go. I think i could get a decent receiver in the $250 TO 400 range. How is this soundbar in your space if I may ask (small room, open great room etc). do you use this mainly for movies, music or gaming or a little of everything? Thanks
post #9 of 12 Old 03-12-2012, 07:06 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pm dureska View Post

How is this soundbar in your space if I may ask (small room, open great room etc). do you use this mainly for movies, music or gaming or a little of everything? Thanks

I use it in a very large room and it fills the room with big sound. The sound-bar itself is pretty big but that's also why it sounds so good. Here is the thread for the sound-bar including more thoughts from me and other users: http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1355998
post #10 of 12 Old 04-14-2012, 06:02 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
I have the Mirage Unitheater soundbar (acts as L/C/R channels) with a MIrage MM6 sub in my smallish living room. I have it connected to a Harman Kardon avr 1600 and it sounds wonderful. I'm not getting true 5.1 since I don't have surrounds connected yet. However, with this setup it plays movies in 3.1 and I honestly have to say that I'm impressed with the quality of sound. I don't own a player, I stream all my BR movies via HDMI and SPDIF from my PC.

I bought this setup with the intention of getting rear speakers down the road for a true 5.1 setup. I've now been looking and I have stumbled upon the Mirage OS3Sats for only $150 each. Perfect for surrounds.

So for me in my small living room. A soundbar, with an AVR and 2 rears is ideal.

Luckily for me the mail order business (sounddistributors.com) resides right down the street from where I live. I bought the Unitheater for $750 with the MM6 sub free. They matched Vanns combo sale price. NO TAX!

Harman Kardon avr1600 $250 at Fry's
Mirage OS3Sats $150 each (buying on Monday)

Total price $1300 + tax on the AVR

I was originally going to buy the Yamaha ysp2200 but after a little research on this forum I went ahead and pulled the trigger on this type of setup for my Apt instead.

Samsung 60 PN60F8500
Harman Kardon AVR1600
Mirage Unitheater soundbar
Definitive Technology StudioMonitor 450'S
Dayton Audio SUB-1200 12"
Sennheiser HDR 170
post #11 of 12 Old 12-09-2012, 10:17 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
If I may rez this thread I am trying to find a similar solution.
i'd like to get a small receiver to run sound to both my sounbar and my patio speakers so I'm thinking a passive soundbar would be best.

The setup I'm going for is

Sony LED TV
Sound bar X
A2602 Stereo Amp http://www.htd.com/Products/2-Channel-Stereo/A-2106-Stereo-Amplifier
HiFi for CD and records

for this I'd need a stereo soundbar with speaker inputs
post #12 of 12 Old 02-24-2014, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drakul View Post

If I may rez this thread I am trying to find a similar solution.
i'd like to get a small receiver to run sound to both my sounbar and my patio speakers so I'm thinking a passive soundbar would be best.

The setup I'm going for is

Sony LED TV
Sound bar X
A2602 Stereo Amp http://www.htd.com/Products/2-Channel-Stereo/A-2106-Stereo-Amplifier
HiFi for CD and records

for this I'd need a stereo soundbar with speaker inputs

This is somewhat I need to do.

We recently moved into a new house and it has two rear wall speakers. Id like to tie my sound bar with wireless sub into those speakers. Can I just strip the sound bar RCA and use it for the center speaker jack on a surround sound receiver and wire the wall speakers into the L and R jacks?

Reply Soundbars

Tags
Sony Ht Ct150 Virtual 5 1 Channel Sound Bar And Subwoofer Set Accessory Kit , Bic America Fh 56 Surround Sound Bar With Bic Acoustech Pl 200 , Bic America F12 12 Inch 475 Watt Front Firing Powered Subwoofer , Pioneer Vsx 821 K 5 1 Home Theater Receiver Glossy Black , Yamaha Yas 101bl Front Surround System Piano Black , Harman Kardon Avr1600 50w 7 1 Channel A V Receiver Black , Yamaha Ysp 2200 Digital Sound Projector Black
Gear in this thread - 101bl by PriceGrabber.com