How to hook up soundbar properly - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 19 Old 02-05-2012, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Alright. I need help hooking up this setup for best performance. I have st30 50 inch plasma 3D tv (3 HDMI ports, 1 fiber optic port), Panasonic sound bar( 1 HDMI in and 1 HDMI out, 1 fiber optic out) ps3 and DVR (1 HDMI and 1 fiber optic). What is the best way to hook this up for the best sound results from my ps3 and DVR box? Thank you for all the help
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 Old 02-06-2012, 08:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 58
Connect the PS3 via HDMI to the soundbar. Connect the soundbar to HDMI1 (ARC) on your Panny. Connect the DVR via HDMI to TV, but also connect optical from DVR directly to soundbar. You may need to adjust settings on the DVR to send audio out on optical, not HDMI.

Change Viera Link settings to home theater and turn off TV's internal speakers.
post #3 of 19 Old 02-06-2012, 07:47 PM - Thread Starter

Before I read this. I had HDMI from ps3 to tv and HDMI from DVR to tv. Then I had fiber op from tv to soundbar. Can you explain why this is wrong? Does it have to do with worse sound quality or lack of features like the viera link? Thanks for the help
post #4 of 19 Old 02-06-2012, 09:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ottergre View Post

Before I read this. I had HDMI from ps3 to tv and HDMI from DVR to tv. Then I had fiber op from tv to soundbar. Can you explain why this is wrong? Does it have to do with worse sound quality or lack of features like the viera link? Thanks for the help

Tv's don't send 5.1 audio via optical from devices connected to it via hdmi. So you're losing out in your setup. The way mentioned preserves 5.1 from the ps3 and dvr.
post #5 of 19 Old 02-07-2012, 12:27 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by elroy12 View Post

Tv's don't send 5.1 audio via optical from devices connected to it via hdmi

I thought that as well until I recently found out that some TV's do pass 5.1 via optical,, as seen in this thread,,, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1389050

Cheers
Davyo
post #6 of 19 Old 02-07-2012, 06:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

I thought that as well until I recently found out that some TV's do pass 5.1 via optical,, as seen in this thread,,, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showthread.php?t=1389050

Cheers
Davyo

Ah, yes, I should have said most.
post #7 of 19 Old 02-07-2012, 09:32 AM
AVS Special Member

That linked thread is an interesting read. I'm quite surprised to learn that quite a few HDTVs do pass 5.1 from HDMI.

Since the OP has a Panny ST30, I can personally confirm that it will NOT pass 5.1 except from its internal tuner. So the connection advice given above should be good for his situation.
post #8 of 19 Old 02-08-2012, 04:17 AM - Thread Starter

I hooked it up as possumgirl explained and it works great do far. I appreciate the help
post #9 of 19 Old 02-09-2012, 08:31 AM

Quote:

I hooked it up as possumgirl explained and it works great do far. I appreciate the help

Does your soundbar support ARC? I just got a Panasonic soundbar with ARC support and it works great. Leave all your inputs on TV (PS3 & DVR) and just hookup one HDMI from TV that has ARC and connect the same cable to soundbar HDMI ARC that's it. You don't even need optical cable. When you turn on TV, the soundbar will turn on automatically thru HDMI control. You can also adjust soundbar volume with your current remote. I'm so glad I got one with HDMI ARC.
post #10 of 19 Old 02-09-2012, 09:22 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dojoman View Post

Does your soundbar support ARC? I just got a Panasonic soundbar with ARC support and it works great. Leave all your inputs on TV (PS3 & DVR) and just hookup one HDMI from TV that has ARC and connect the same cable to soundbar HDMI ARC that's it. You don't even need optical cable. When you turn on TV, the soundbar will turn on automatically thru HDMI control. You can also adjust soundbar volume with your current remote. I'm so glad I got one with HDMI ARC.

If you read the posts preceding yours, you'll note that many TVs do not output 5.1 audio over ARC/optical from devices connected to the TV via HDMI. Of course you can simply connect devices to the TV and use ARC, but you may not be getting the best audio format available. It's up to each person to decide if they want 5.1 audio (when available) or 2 ch. stereo.
post #11 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 10:04 AM - Thread Starter

So... I just try to use the pandora app as well as any other app through tv and the sound will not come through the soundbar. I tried to turn off the DVR box and it still did not work. Any ideas on how to have the sound from the apps on the tv run through the soundbar by hooking it up differently
post #12 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 10:49 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

So... I just try to use the pandora app as well as any other app through tv and the sound will not come through the soundbar. I tried to turn off the DVR box and it still did not work. Any ideas on how to have the sound from the apps on the tv run through the soundbar by hooking it up differently

You have the soundbar connected to the TV on HDMI1, right? Do you have VieraLink turned on and set to external audio? Did you enable HDMI-CTL/ARC on the soundbar? If you have things connected as I suggested in post #2, up until now you haven't needed ARC but for the apps on the ST30 you do need it.
post #13 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 01:30 PM - Thread Starter

I do have viera link on and set to theater, I am not sure how I need to enable ARC on the soundbar
post #14 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 01:38 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:

I do have viera link on and set to theater, I am not sure how I need to enable ARC on the soundbar

The HDMI OUT (ARC) on the Panasonic soundbar is HDMI ARC compatible, you don't need to enable it (there is no option to enable/disable ARC on this output). Just make sure you connect it to the HDMI (ARC) on the TV.
post #15 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 02:01 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the explanation. I do have arc enabled then. I have it set up exactly how you explained in post #2. I guess I am not sure how I can get the apps to play through the soundbar
post #16 of 19 Old 02-18-2012, 03:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Sorry about a bad suggestion . With so many bars I don't always remember which ones have what settings. I really don't know why ARC isn't working, but try this. Disconnect the optical cable from the soundbar. Then try the Viera apps. It's a long shot but maybe the bar won't accept ARC when optical is there.
post #17 of 19 Old 02-19-2012, 08:15 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Possumgirl View Post

Sorry about a bad suggestion . With so many bars I don't always remember which ones have what settings. I really don't know why ARC isn't working, but try this. Disconnect the optical cable from the soundbar. Then try the Viera apps. It's a long shot but maybe the bar won't accept ARC when optical is there.

Not a problem on the advice. You're helping me more than I would have been able to, seeing this is my first smart tv and soundbar. Anyways, I ended up doing what you said in post 2. Except, I took the optical and went from the tv to the soundbar instead of from the DVR to the soundbar. Everything seems to be working perfectly. Does that sound like a legit fix from your perspective?
post #18 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 06:13 PM

Just saw this thread. How would I hook up my sound bar that I just bought? I have the Samsung HW-E450C. It came with an optical cord and HDMI cord. My Dynex TV model DX-40L260A12 has both HDMI inputs and optical. I also have a satellite receiver that has HDMI.
post #19 of 19 Old 01-10-2013, 06:25 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoober View Post

Just saw this thread. How would I hook up my sound bar that I just bought? I have the Samsung HW-E450C. It came with an optical cord and HDMI cord. My Dynex TV model DX-40L260A12 has both HDMI inputs and optical. I also have a satellite receiver that has HDMI.

There is a master thread for the HW-E450 soundbar. If you review that thread you'll find LOTS of connection advice.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Samsung Hw E450 Wireless Airtrack Soundbar
Gear in this thread - E450 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page