Yamaha YSP-2200, Polk 6000, HK SB16 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 11 Old 02-08-2012, 09:35 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all,

I purchased a Panasonic 42" ST30 several months ago and absolutely love it. I am considering a soundbar for speakers because I will be renting for the near future and don't feel like dealing with a bunch of wires. I will detail my current setup:
  • I put my TV on a stand with all my movies/games/periphals below it
  • I have a PS3 and an STB
  • I would love to be able to play music through the soundbar from my iPhone or iPod in the most efficient way possible
I am looking at several soundbars currently and will be purchasing from Amazon:
  • Yamaha YSP-2200 - $799
  • Harman Kardon SB-16 - $599
  • Polk 6000 - $434
I would like to be able to put it on the stand below the TV, or attach Soundbar Brackets above the TV. I'll rank my priorities in what I am looking for in the soundbar:
  1. Sound Quality - obviously I want the thing to sound awesome
  2. SQ from my iPod - I would like to play music from it a lot (I listen to electronic, hip-hop, etc.) for when friends come over
  3. "Intuitiveness" - I'll give you an example of what is NOT intuitive to me: the HK soundbar not having a remote and my TV flashing "speakers turned off" everytime. What IS intuitive is the HDMI ports on the YSP-2200 and then ARC to the TV.
  4. Bass response - I'm no bass-head by any means but I would like some kick
I'm seriously looking at the YSP-2200 over the other ones because of the HDMI, iPod docking into the soundbar, etc.

Is it definitely worth more money soundwise than the other ones I am considering? Any thoughts on what I should get?

Anyone's input would be greatly apprectiated! Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 06:22 AM - Thread Starter

Anyone have any thoughts? Thanks in advance!
post #3 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 07:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
All the bars you mentioned are good,,,,, if you need HDMI inputs then the YSP2200 or you might want to look at the Sony CT150 or CT550,,,, the Sonys are much cheaper than the YSP and sound pretty darn good.

HDMI's should not be a deal breaker though,,,, the Polk 6000 is also an exellent bar.

HK has a new bar coming out any day,, the HK SB30 and it looks to be a BIG improvement over the current SB16.

For what its worth I have owned the YSP2200, the Sony CT-150 and the Polk 6000,,,,, have not heard the HK SB16.

Cheers
Davyo
post #4 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 01:21 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

All the bars you mentioned are good,,,,, if you need HDMI inputs then the YSP2200 or you might want to look at the Sony CT150 or CT550,,,, the Sonys are much cheaper than the YSP and sound pretty darn good.

HDMI's should not be a deal breaker though,,,, the Polk 6000 is also an exellent bar.

HK has a new bar coming out any day,, the HK SB30 and it looks to be a BIG improvement over the current SB16.

For what its worth I have owned the YSP2200, the Sony CT-150 and the Polk 6000,,,,, have not heard the HK SB16.

Cheers
Davyo

Thanks for your input!

IF I were to go for the Polk 6000 or the HK 30 when it comes out, what would be the best configuration? I figured it would be something like this (does this work?):
  • HDMI OUT of PS3 & STB IN to TV
  • Optical OUT of ps3 IN to Soundbar for direct audio
  • Coax OUT of TV (which has STB and TV apps audio) IN to Soundbar for their audio
does that work best? That way I get the best audio quality for my ps3 games and blu-ray...

Thank you!
post #5 of 11 Old 02-11-2012, 11:57 PM

No. Panasonic won't pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from HDMI inputs to it's optical audio output. Also it has no coaxial digital audio output.

Some speaker bars that support HDMI audio, like Yamaha's YSP2200 will also support Dolby Digital+ and Dolby True HD.

Yamaha YSP2200 supports HDMI-CEC or what Panasonic calls VieraLink. Very important when using ARC. For example, my Panasonic GT30 turns my YSP2200 on/off and controls the volume using panasonic or comcast remote (comcast does not have codes for Yamaha soundbar). It also auto switches the input to TV using the ARC when starting VieraCast apps. like Netflix.

So to answer your hookup question. It's best to have STB, BluRay, PS3 HDMI plug into soundbar and YSP2200 output to Panasonic HDMI 1 (ARC). Turn on CEC / VieraLink on both devices.
post #6 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 03:39 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VideoNavi View Post

No. Panasonic won't pass Dolby Digital 5.1 from HDMI inputs to it's optical audio output. Also it has no coaxial digital audio output.

Some speaker bars that support HDMI audio, like Yamaha's YSP2200 will also support Dolby Digital+ and Dolby True HD.

Yamaha YSP2200 supports HDMI-CEC or what Panasonic calls VieraLink. Very important when using ARC. For example, my Panasonic GT30 turns my YSP2200 on/off and controls the volume using panasonic or comcast remote (comcast does not have codes for Yamaha soundbar). It also auto switches the input to TV using the ARC when starting VieraCast apps. like Netflix.

So to answer your hookup question. It's best to have STB, BluRay, PS3 HDMI plug into soundbar and YSP2200 output to Panasonic HDMI 1 (ARC). Turn on CEC / VieraLink on both devices.

Agreed,,, good advice,,,, I did not realize the Panny will not pass 5.1 out of the optical

Quote:
Originally Posted by phillypanther14 View Post

Thanks for your input!

IF I were to go for the Polk 6000 or the HK 30 when it comes out, what would be the best configuration? I figured it would be something like this (does this work?):
  • HDMI OUT of PS3 & STB IN to TV
  • Optical OUT of ps3 IN to Soundbar for direct audio
  • Coax OUT of TV (which has STB and TV apps audio) IN to Soundbar for their audio
does that work best? That way I get the best audio quality for my ps3 games and blu-ray...

Thank you!

It would work even though the Panny wont pass 5.1,,,, the Polk takes that 2.1 signal from the optcial out from the Panasonic and turns it into the Polks version of a 5.1 type surround,,,, and thats not a bad thing,,, the Polk does it very well,,,,you could just plug everything into the Panny via HDMI and just run the optical out from the Panny to the Polk for a real easy stealth install.

Or, as VideoNavi suggested go with the YSP200 for the HDMI inputs and perhaps a better sound for what you need to hook up and because the Panny wont pass the 5.1.

Cheers
Davyo
post #7 of 11 Old 02-12-2012, 08:05 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the help, guys!

Quote:

Yeah, I probably should've looked at the back of my ST30 first Seems the only audio outs it has are indeed the ARC HDMI, and the optical out. No analog out, either.

I think the YSP would probably work best so I could go HDMIs into the soundbar then ARC into the ST30 and use VieraLink. This would also give me room to have an input for Airport Express, too.

I could get the Polk or HK and go PS3 AND TV into bar, but then I probably need some switchers and converters and all the other crap.

Thanks for the help, guys!
post #8 of 11 Old 02-13-2012, 11:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by davyo View Post

Agreed,,, good advice,,,, I did not realize the Panny will not pass 5.1 out of the optical

It would work even though the Panny wont pass 5.1,,,, the Polk takes that 2.1 signal from the optcial out from the Panasonic and turns it into the Polks version of a 5.1 type surround,,,, and thats not a bad thing,,, the Polk does it very well,,,,you could just plug everything into the Panny via HDMI and just run the optical out from the Panny to the Polk for a real easy stealth install.

Or, as VideoNavi suggested go with the YSP200 for the HDMI inputs and perhaps a better sound for what you need to hook up and because the Panny wont pass the 5.1.

Cheers
Davyo

Sorry to hijack, but I have been looking hard at the Polk 6000. Would the "steath install" also work on the Samsung LED tvs? HDMI in for everything and then Optical out to the Soundbar?
post #9 of 11 Old 02-14-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jchohio View Post

Sorry to hijack, but I have been looking hard at the Polk 6000. Would the "steath install" also work on the Samsung LED tvs? HDMI in for everything and then Optical out to the Soundbar?

The short answer is yes. I own the Polk predecessor to the 6000 and have it set up this way, save for the fact that my only hookup is analogue. Sounds great and easy to use as mute and volume commands for the soundbar were easily paired to my remote of choice. Just understand your Samsung will only output stereo even with optical connection.
post #10 of 11 Old 03-08-2012, 08:25 PM

Quote:

Question, I'm a noob, so I'm trying to understand this. I have a Panny ST30, I'm looking for a soundbar. All I have is a blue ray and U-verse. I was planning on running HDMI 1.4 from the blu-ray and the U-verse into the TV, and then the Optical out into the Soundbar. Does the disccusion about Dolby mean that I wouldn't get the full benefit of anything beyond a 2.0 if I did what I'm planning?
post #11 of 11 Old 03-09-2012, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by AVSero View Post

Question, I'm a noob, so I'm trying to understand this. I have a Panny ST30, I'm looking for a soundbar. All I have is a blue ray and U-verse. I was planning on running HDMI 1.4 from the blu-ray and the U-verse into the TV, and then the Optical out into the Soundbar. Does the disccusion about Dolby mean that I wouldn't get the full benefit of anything beyond a 2.0 if I did what I'm planning?

Yes. Look at the second note at the bottom of pg. 33 in the owner's manual.

Edit: Just read your other post and see that you've figured this out.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Yamaha Ysp 2200 Digital Sound Projector Black

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page