Help with distortion from TV via RCA - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 5 Old 02-08-2012, 06:40 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Spoiled from my Integra/Klipsch setup in my living I was looking for a bit more sound in my bedroom, so it seemed a soundbar was perfect due to cost and limited space. I wasn't looking for anything special, and reading reviews and looking at cost we grabbed an audiosource S3d60.

I have a decent grasp of audio setup, and this one couldn't be easier. Except.... I get terrible distortion when plugged in to my sharp Aquos via RCA (no optical). Also I get the same distortion from my Denon DVD player via RCA, but great sound via optical. Then the Roku, terrible distortion via hdmi through the tv, slightly better when direct to the soundbar via line out, although it is still hard to listen to.

Now, I can take my iphone and plug it to the line in of the soundbar, it's great. Also great if I use an adapter from line out to RCA into the soundbar. Plus we have the great sound via optical from the DVD player.

I originally though the Roku was due to slow internet, but even a CD in the DVD player was terrible if it was played through the tv then RCA to the soundbar.

Sorry for the long post, just trying to lay down all the info. The soundbar is great through all ports, it just depends on the source The idea was to have better sound for watching TV and Roku, but I can't stand to listen to either one!

Thanks for any info.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 Old 02-08-2012, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Be very specific, DEFINE TERRIBLE. What do u hear? Specifically what do u hear when there is no signal (source device powered on but stopped) at the source?

Is the soundbar plugged in (power) to the same socket as the source(s)?

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #3 of 5 Old 02-08-2012, 08:08 PM - Thread Starter

When there is no signal, all is quiet. By terrible, it sounds likes the speakers are blown or the volume is turned too loud on a cheap set of speakers, even though it is at a really low level.

Yes, all components are plugged into the same outlet. The troubling part of this is that I have great sound via optical with the DVD player, but plugged into RCA it's bad. But then I can get great sound via RCA through an iPod.

thanks for the help
post #4 of 5 Old 02-08-2012, 09:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Points to a ground loop problem, but if so when no signal u should hear a hum.

Ground loop doesn't affect optical because light interface is electrically isolated.

An iPhone would work because it's not plugged into any outlet hence no ground conflict.

This is highly unusual, as if the analog stage input is turned up too high. iPhone (or any portable) tend to output a lower signal. There is not a gain switch/knob nearby the RCA input is there?

That's all I have, you may have a bad unit.

Solution: FREE. Explanation: I will have to charge$ you.

post #5 of 5 Old 02-09-2012, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks for the insight. I moved the unit to another room and plugged it into a different component, but had the same problems with the RCA input.

I'll be boxing this one back up.

thanks again.
Reply Soundbars

Tags
Audiosource S3d60 Soundbar With Sonic Emotion 3d Sound Black
Gear in this thread - S3d60 by PriceGrabber.com

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page